Borderlands

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

LTK

Re: Borderlands

Postby LTK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:44 pm UTC

Man, you guys are going through this game faster than Spiderant Gyro. I'm just getting around to exploring Rust Commons East, which is, by the way, a huge leap in enemy difficulty from West. Everything is suddenly five levels higher! I nearly got butchered by a Badass Bruiser in there. Good thing there's better loot around to make up for it, I had been using that 400 shield for nearly four levels.

Maybe I should treat Borderlands less like Fallout 3 and more like Unreal Tournament. But I like exploring and looting much better than plowing through enemy ranks just to get to the next boss. I usually save bosses until I find someone to help me kill them, but they always run off without me while I'm getting loot, leaving me a lot less kills to make.

Any PC gamers can friend me under the Gamespy ID LTK_70. I need more people to play with!

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I'm about at the same part as you, LTK.

I'm level 26, and I just repaired the middle of nowhere bounty board.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

That's great, I've just about finished the quests on the same bounty board. Got time to play?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:54 pm UTC

I've only played offline, but sure. I'll start it up now.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:59 pm UTC

Have you configured your ports? If not, you won't be able to host, so I took the liberty of sending the invite.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:27 pm UTC

hey xbox live players, i'm going to be on most of this afternoon, gamertag Izawwlgood. Hit me up!
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 12:33 am UTC

LTK wrote:Maybe I should treat Borderlands less like Fallout 3 and more like Unreal Tournament. But I like exploring and looting much better than plowing through enemy ranks just to get to the next boss.

Actually, I finished almost every sidequest. I think the only one I didn't do was the machine gun scavenger, and I might have missed one of the Claptrap rescues. University has finished for the year and I only work part-time, so I've got quite a bit of free time right now.

Also, I have loads of cash and nothing to spend it on. I haven't bought a weapon for about ten levels. Hopefully when I start my second playthrough the shops will sell some better stuff. Strangely, I seem to have the opposite problem as Amnesiasoft - I've looted several orange guns, but I've only seen one orange weapon in a store. I guess that's just what happens when everything is random.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:00 am UTC

I just found the most awesome weapon, it's so cool. Orange SMG with ammo regen and it's reload time is like 0.3 seconds. With my class mod that has +44% SMG damage and + a bunch of skills which I use the only thing it's missing is an element (Since I have spark and my class mod gives +30% proc rate).

Edit:

Scratch that, it's like 0.1-0.2 seconds reload time.

Edit2: And goes through a 28 ammo clip in like 2 seconds.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:54 am UTC

I used to have an ammo regen SMG with fire damage. It didn't fire quite so fast, though, and it had rather low damage, so I dumped it. My current weapon of choice is a Hellfire SMG, with the "We don't need no water..." text, and it is hysterical. 100% chance of proc and huge fire damage? Yes, please.

Anyway, I just finished off Nine-Toes for the second time. It was pretty easy - in fact I found it easier than the first time through. I'm curious as to what class and weapons tzvibish is using, since the second playthrough isn't giving me any trouble so far, and I'm only L36. I guess I'll go try the Moe and Marley quest and see how that turns out.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:36 am UTC

Patricia thus far is an awesome character, I want her to be on my team and shoot things, that would be awesome.

Would like to see weapon customisation too, just so it isn't entirely based on random drop (Socketing/Cubing on Diablo). I'm only a bit into the game but it'd be nice to get some different scenery as well. Otherwise it's been pretty cool thus far.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

aion7

Postby aion7 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:37 am UTC

Yes. Patricia is probably the coolest person on Pandora. I really like the audio logs, and I was really excited when I finally met her. There's also the free chests when you go to talk to her.
Spoiler:

internets++ for aion7.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:21 am UTC

Spoiler:
My favourite log is when she casually talks about how she treated her interaction with her fat colleague (who was dying and gurgling/spitting up bile etc.) as a conversation because it would be her last 'conversation' for a while
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:51 am UTC

Patricia? Do you mean Tannis?

Edit: Never mind me.
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:46 am UTC

Ok, I've just read through the whole thread and having cancelled my Modern Warfare 2 pre-order (9v9?!?!) I'm wondering if Borderlands would make a good replacement :D

One question: how many times can you "prestige" so to speak?
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:46 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:Ok, I've just read through the whole thread and having cancelled my MW2 pre-order (9v9?!?!) I'm wondering if Borderlands would make a good replacement :D

One question: how many times can you "prestige" so to speak?

Can you what?

You have to understand that there's a world of difference between Borderlands and MW2. Borderlands does a few things really well, and those things are looting, gunning, and feeling like a badass. The rest is kind of meh. The question is if you choose quality, which I'm assuming MW2 has got in truckloads, over lots and lots of fun in Borderlands.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:48 pm UTC

Also it helps if you have friends to play with.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:38 pm UTC

There's this guy I always end up playing LIVE with has the awful habit of using every gun he comes across. As a Brawler, why are you using Pistols?

People, if you are playing with other people, assume that they want you to hand over their class specific weapons. And people, don't use non-class specific weapons unless you have a really good reason to.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:53 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:As a Brawler, why are you using Pistols?

If they're explosive he's perfectly justified. He probably does extra damage.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:09 pm UTC

If it's a good gun, why would he not use it?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:04 pm UTC

LTK wrote:Can you what?

You have to understand that there's a world of difference between Borderlands and MW2. Borderlands... lot and lots of fun... MW2.. crippled multiplayer...

I do know that. By prestige I meant replay the game at a higher difficulty (which granted isn't even what CoD's prestige mode does anyway).

Gelsamel wrote:Also it helps if you have friends to play with.

I'll find someone - Uni has a tech society :D

I bought it after reading a number of reviews, and so far I'm liking it. Revolver loading shotguns are one of the coolest things I have ever seen.

Spam here please

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:44 pm UTC

alasseo on steam. I'm just about to beat the game the first time through as a hunter. Anyone want to start a new game?
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:02 pm UTC

Kag wrote:

If it's a good gun, why would he not use it?

Because chances are that I, a hunter, will derive more bonus from a pistol, even if it explodes, then you will as a brawler? Because of all your weapons that explode, you shouldn't be using the smallest class?

The complaint was more that this guy just seemed to pick up and use every gun he found, instead of hanging me, the hunter, the sniper rifles and pistols.

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:05 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:
LTK wrote:Can you what?

You have to understand that there's a world of difference between Borderlands and MW2. Borderlands... lot and lots of fun... MW2.. crippled multiplayer...

I do know that. By prestige I meant replay the game at a higher difficulty (which granted isn't even what CoD's prestige mode does anyway).

Okay then. From what I've heard, you can play through the game multiple times with the same character. If you take a look at your friends list there is a line that tells you which playthrough they're in. You essentially get the same game beefed up a lot (for example, Badass becomes Badmutha) and I get the impression that it becomes real freakin' hard, too.

Alasseo wrote:alasseo on steam. I'm just about to beat the game the first time through as a hunter. Anyone want to start a new game?

Maybe you can give us your Gamespy ID too? Cause we can't add you otherwise.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:26 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:The complaint was more that this guy just seemed to pick up and use every gun he found, instead of hanging me, the hunter, the sniper rifles and pistols.
Oh, that's different.

Your problem isn't with people using weapons they can't spec for. Your problem is with your friend being a loot whore.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Brick using a sniper rifle, but your friend was being a dick.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Alasseo

Postby Alasseo » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:45 pm UTC

same thing, sorry.
Eruantale wrote:(I did... I've always wanted to get a Dudley Do-right out of a vending machine)

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:47 am UTC

There are two playthroughs per character. I've also been told that after you beat the final boss a second time, all the enemy levels scale up to 48-50, though the quests do not reset
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:04 am UTC

What ever happened to the Borderlands xkcd group on Steam? I don't have gamespy and already use xfire, so I'm loathe to install yet more programs that fulfill a similar purpose. Don't have a mic either, although I'm working on that.

Spam here please

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:04 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:What ever happened to the Borderlands xkcd group on Steam? I don't have gamespy and already use xfire, so I'm loathe to install yet more programs that fulfill a similar purpose. Don't have a mic either, although I'm working on that.

The game uses GameSpy for match-making. You don't have to install it but you have to have an account.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:11 pm UTC

Awwww maaannnn. I'll get an account eventually then. For now, I'll enjoy single-player.

Spam here please

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

I'm going through 2nd playthrough, and I'll hit the cap long before the final boss. I'm lvl.44 now, and I'm just now heading into Dahl Headlands. I have been very impressed with the 2nd playthrough implementation. It doesnt just scale the enemies up, it gives you more to deal with and bigger badass (badmutha in 2nd playthrough) creature ratio. This, along with improved loot, makes for a very fresh experience, even though the quests are exactly the same. Oh,and this is all in Single player. With 4 people, it's absolutely chaotic. Loot drops in curtains of blue and purple, artifacts and yellow weapons spread out rather generously. It's very hard tp keep up with, and it's a challenge all by itself just to pick up the loot you need before being attacked by the next 20 lvl. 40 hardened skags.

I hope the DLC increases the cap to at least 60 (ideally, 65). I haven't heard much about the DLC, but some new weapon modifiers would be nice (new elements, different alien weapon types, new red text, maybe even a new company with a different look?). And some quests with plot. That would be nice.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

Will the DLC be for xbox users as well?

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:36 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Will the DLC be for xbox users as well?

Hayyyyl, ya!
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

In reference to that conversation about rocket launchers a few pages back: you all DO realize it was originally about VEHICLE rocket launchers versus vehicle machine guns, not hand-held ones? At some point, somebody flipped to saying "I found one that blah blah blah..." and everyone changed gears seamlessly and kept the conversation going as if that had been the original topic. You are all crazy people.

Honestly, I would prefer to get the game on PC. But I would also like to play with my roommates, who don't understand the concept of gaming on the PC. So... 360 it is. Meh. Same monitor either way. And with how out of date my desktop is, the 360 is gonna run it better anyway. I've been playing thus far with my roommate's copy (and his 360... mine RRODed, but I should get it back tomorrow, at which point me and my gift card are going to Target to buy the game).

Game developers have GOT to start making cross-platform gameplay a possibility.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:07 pm UTC

Xaddak wrote:Game developers have GOT to start making cross-platform gameplay a possibility.

The main problem with that is that PC gamers will ALWAYS dominate in competitive gameplay. The mouse allows far more precision and speed than even the most skilled console-jockey could hope to acheive. I know you're talking about co-operative play but if that starts then competitive will probably follow. There's presumably also some issues with making the game work across platforms that may not work quite the same way; PC and 360 might be fairly simple, but add the PS3 to it and it's probably not all that easy.

And with regard to vehicle rocket launchers, yes they are useless. Well, they're ok at low levels or against raider cars, but other than that they're pathetic. It makes a big boom and chips off the tiniest bit of their health. Getting out and knifing them to death is a more effective option. Apart from running them over. It's quite satisfying to have a big, badass enemy give you trouble then have him make the most pathetic of squishing sounds like he was a tiny bug when you run him over.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:54 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Xaddak wrote:Game developers have GOT to start making cross-platform gameplay a possibility.

The main problem with that is that PC gamers will ALWAYS dominate in competitive gameplay. The mouse allows far more precision and speed than even the most skilled console-jockey could hope to acheive. I know you're talking about co-operative play but if that starts then competitive will probably follow. There's presumably also some issues with making the game work across platforms that may not work quite the same way; PC and 360 might be fairly simple, but add the PS3 to it and it's probably not all that easy.

And with regard to vehicle rocket launchers, yes they are useless. Well, they're ok at low levels or against raider cars, but other than that they're pathetic. It makes a big boom and chips off the tiniest bit of their health. Getting out and knifing them to death is a more effective option. Apart from running them over. It's quite satisfying to have a big, badass enemy give you trouble then have him make the most pathetic of squishing sounds like he was a tiny bug when you run him over.

Yes, PC gamers WILL always dominate. Maybe that will inspire console gamers to move back to the PC (I wish). Or maybe they'll give keyboards and mice to console gamers (defeats the purpose). Or improve console gamepads to to the point where they can keep up with keyboards/mice (not bloody likely). Who knows. But it should be an option, along with the ability to choose to choose to play with same-console only, or everyone.

And if it's not easy, it should be! What exactly mystic arcane information are these things playing with that can't be re-processed on the other console in the same way? They should be sending current stats, x/y/z locations of the players, x/y/z locations of NPCs, what everyone is doing, locations of things like items and vehicles, maybe a few other miscellaneous things, aaaaaand that's about it. Everything else should be independently processed and rendered. So just a few kilobytes of numbers from the host to the other players a few times a second to make sure everyone stays sync'd up, and... I don't see what the problem is. Mac and Windows can play World of Warcraft or EVE together. I'm really not understanding what is so different about console games that different systems execute code so radically differently that they cannot work together, when PCs (Personal Computers, not Windows specifically) built on entirely different structures can, and on a larger scale to boot.

Re: rocket launchers - that just means they're balanced, not useless. Big AoE but minimal damage to each target, or heavy damage on a single target? You decide! Besides, every time I've fired the runner machine gun, I've found it nearly useless because it's so inaccurate. Even when you're not moving, it just seems to me that if I pour 20 or 30 rounds at a target fifty feet away, more than one or two should hit (or if they don't, they'd better be made out of an alloy of anger and hatred, finely crafted to explode on impact and cause instant death to anything weaker than an Eldar Avatar).
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:24 am UTC

Xaddak wrote:Re: rocket launchers - that just means they're balanced, not useless. Big AoE but minimal damage to each target, or heavy damage on a single target? You decide! Besides, every time I've fired the runner machine gun, I've found it nearly useless because it's so inaccurate. Even when you're not moving, it just seems to me that if I pour 20 or 30 rounds at a target fifty feet away, more than one or two should hit (or if they don't, they'd better be made out of an alloy of anger and hatred, finely crafted to explode on impact and cause instant death to anything weaker than an Eldar Avatar).

Yeah, vehicular rocket launchers are good against bunches of enemies on foot, because they blast the whole lot of them at once and the machine gun is too inaccurate. The rocket launcher is also better at long range for the same reason. The machine gun is really designed for large targets at close range (ie other vehicles).

Of course I tend to avoid fighting while in a vehicle in general, since I'm both more durable and have better firepower when I'm on foot.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:16 am UTC

I barely even use the mounted weapons on the vehicles. I use the machine gun on Mothrakk and that's about it. Instakill running things over is more effective.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:39 am UTC

Wait you were supposed to use a vehicle to shoot Mothrakk?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:50 am UTC

Probably not, but I did.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 am UTC

I... that probably would've made that fight a tad easier...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Return to “Gaming”