Borderlands

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EmptySet

Re: Borderlands

Postby EmptySet » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:31 am UTC

I just hid under an arch where its firebomb attack couldn't hit me, and then stepped out to shoot it while it was flying around or on approach.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:45 am UTC

There was an arch there? -_-
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

ian

Postby ian » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:13 am UTC

Does anyone have the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" achievement and could they help me get it?

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm UTC

<-- This guy does. I can help you out when I get my 360 back.

I think Izawwlgood has it too, since I'm pretty sure I got it from him. Of course, it's up to him whether or not he wants to help.
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:42 pm UTC

I have the achievment as well. Tag: Tzvibish. Look me up.

I just attempted mothrakk at lvl 45 (2nd playthorugh) with one other person, and we were thoroughly destroyed (mothrakk was also at lvl 45). I managed to get into a pattern where I could hit him with my whitting elephent gun (1150 dmg!) while moving and hiding, but it was taking forever. After 5 minutes, I had maybe 1/4 of his health down. And two or three firebombs is all it takes to kill you. It's pretty intense.

Shooting from a vehicle is useless at that level.
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:33 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:I have the achievment as well. Tag: Tzvibish. Look me up.

I just attempted mothrakk at lvl 45 (2nd playthorugh) with one other person, and we were thoroughly destroyed (mothrakk was also at lvl 45). I managed to get into a pattern where I could hit him with my whitting elephent gun (1150 dmg!) while moving and hiding, but it was taking forever. After 5 minutes, I had maybe 1/4 of his health down. And two or three firebombs is all it takes to kill you. It's pretty intense.

Shooting from a vehicle is useless at that level.

Grab a car with machine gun, auto lock, drive in circles/figure-eight by bandit outpost right above spawning point. It isn't a fair fight, but it'll be over in at least the time it'd take to run out, snipe, respawn, try again.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:34 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:There was an arch there? -_-

Mothrakk chases you all over the place, so it doesn't even really matter cause you can kite her there
But there's an arch nearby, close to where "The Lost Cave" entrance is
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:57 pm UTC

ian wrote:"And They'll Tell Two Friends"

What is it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:47 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
ian wrote:"And They'll Tell Two Friends"

What is it?

An achievement that can only be acquired by playing with one of the game's developers or someone who already has the achievement.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 pm UTC

Barooo? No kidding.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:08 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:An achievement that can only be acquired by playing with one of the game's developers or someone who already has the achievement.
Reminds me of Shadowrun Fever. You hod to teabag someone with the achievement to get it. :mrgreen:

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:23 am UTC

WORST ENDING EVER.

No good drops, no real closure, no satisfaction from the terrible boss. Also, as Mordecai with the sniper tree mained, all the Eridians die in one shot because they are all shields and no health.

Starting over as Lilith. I've been getting far better drops so far.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:28 am UTC

aion7 wrote:WORST ENDING EVER.

No good drops, no real closure, no satisfaction from the terrible boss. Also, as Mordecai with the sniper tree mained, all the Eridians die in one shot because they are all shields and no health.

Starting over as Lilith. I've been getting far better drops so far.

Not as bad as Fable 2's ending.

I would've liked more closure from Tannis and the citizens of New Haven though.

Last boss was an absolute joke... the Eiridians were harder for me because I NEVER FOUND ANY HALF DECENT ELECTRIC WEAPON. But the dark oranges were bountiful! I found 2x Of that super faster reload ammo regen SMG, one had x3 Fire so I used that one in the end. I had Pele's Wrath Sniper thing, a Dark Orange +200% Melee Revolver with like 400 damage. I found like 4 other oranges that I didn't use but were still cool.

Edit: Last Boss was a total joke.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:40 am UTC

Apart from being kinda easy, it was made even worse by the fact that if you died, you just respawned right next to where you died. I'm not sure what they could have done (maybe a tentacle snaps the New-U station or something?) but having it as it was just completely killed any sense of climax because there was no danger, except mild bruises to your wallet. And the loot was lame. Sledge gave better loot.

I would like to say now though that when me and Awia finished the game, I had a Crowning Moment of Awesome: I was on my knees, fighting for my life, and just as my bar was almost at the bottom I GOT SECOND WIND OFF THE LAST BOSS. Critical, biatch!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:42 am UTC

I did that too, actually. I got careless and sat there and took a full tentacle to the face when he was at like 5%. I had a gun shooting 14.6 rounds a second and hitting the boss for 400... so it was kind of a quick battle.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Well, it appears I already have a gamespy account as a consequence of using fileplanet once-upon-a-blue-moon.
My "unique" nick is "kaolbrec" and my normal nick is "virtualoverlord" (a long forgotten email address). Add me if you dare.

Also, shh! You're ruining the suspense! I want to believe the end is as good as the rest, dammit!
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:57 pm UTC

Re: The last boss
Spoiler:
No need to come up with new ideas when you can reuse old ones, eh Gearbox?
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Seems like no one else ran into the issues my friends and I did. We played for a few hours last weekend, quit, and came back the next day. Upon loading, one of my friends was back the 5 levels we had gained the day before, as if he had never played. Another one of my friends noticed that he was missing all his skill points and weapon proficiencies (which could be considered even worse). As much fun as it's been up to this point, that really just killed the game for all of us. It's hard to motivate us to play again when 2 of us got screwed over, and we're all worried it could happen again. It's kinda amazing that they made such an enjoyable game, but it has so many random issues that bring the whole thing down. I highly recommend anyone playing on PC backup your characters.

On another note, playing Mordecai as a sniper, penetrating shields, sending out Bloodwing every 10 seconds, and always being in the back not dying, is insanely satisfying

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:Re: The last boss
Spoiler:

Wow. Speechless.

I wonder if they mad the last boss like that on purpose, because when you think about it, it really has nothing to do with the look of any other enemies in the game. This is just....creepily similar. It wouldn't be unlike them to pull a stunt like this, a cameo from a previous game.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:56 pm UTC

Spoiler:

Is it bad that when I looked at the picture my first thought was "Incendiary combat rifle? WANT!"?

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:07 pm UTC

No, it is awesome. I'm a fan of incendiary. By far, the most useful elemental damage.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:
Spoiler:

Wow. Speechless.

I wonder if they mad the last boss like that on purpose, because when you think about it, it really has nothing to do with the look of any other enemies in the game. This is just....creepily similar. It wouldn't be unlike them to pull a stunt like this, a cameo from a previous game.
Spoiler:
For those of us who are insufficiently cultured, what game? First thing I thought of was it reminded me of the tentacle boss in Half Life 1 (you know, the one that you fry with the jet engine in the "Blast Pit" level).
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:17 pm UTC

Cameo for last boss is pretty.... ugh.

So anyway.

Problems for me, from Borderlands:
Spoiler:
- Not Epic Enough.

- Loot and gear is entirely random. They should add in a non-random way to increase your gear stats like customisation (sockets/custom parts etc) so when you do find that one that one good weapon you can put a scope on it, or increase it's reload speed or something. It also just makes the loot that much cooler.

-More mods on weapons (while suitably scaling the mobs to match), one of the coolest parts on diablo was finding weapons with a page worth of stats and trying to maximise the ones you wanted.

-Lack of Minimap, I can't count the number of times I've opened up the map.

-HUD upgrades and brands, I got a DAHL HUD? Fuck DAHL I want a Tediore HUD. (Maybe this is where they could put in the minimap and other neat features, like putting green diamonds on mobs so you can see them easier, or highlighting critical points.

-More Believable World... I understand that Pandora is supposed to be a shithole post-apocalyptic type world... but having at least one well defended, well set up town where people only live in relative fear with obvious methods of supplying outlying shitholes would be a huge step towards this. It would've been cool if non-important NPCs interacted more as well rather than just having the one or two lines shared across all of them.

-Along with the more believable world thing it would've been nice to see some different scenery, even if you want to make it a shithole postapoc planet you could still have some marshes or forests or something.

-More closure as I said above. Tannis just says she is going to keep the key safe? That's it? For some strange reason I wanted the ending to have Tannis live happily ever after (although still a bit crazy). I kinda wanted her to Lana Skye smile and get to go home at the end. Whatsherface at New Haven said shit all even though I drove the Lance away for her. Marcus said shit all despite the fact I presumably fucked off without mentioning anything else, and If my character did tell him about the vault.... he still said shit all. Zed said nothing past Fyrestone...

- Stats and stat distribution, I suppose I'm asking for a lot of copy over from Diablo here.... I guess what I'm saying is the RPG system was too simplistic, the FPS part was done fine as far as I can see, though FPSes aren't my most played genre.

- Upgrades to the vehicles, I thought there was going to be more weapons and types because I got those so early on but there wasn't any...

Still it was a pretty awesome game and I had fun, it just could've been so much better.

Incendiary Guns? I had so fucking many and I also had Phoenix (By the way... watch out for barrels when you use phoenix...... I died a lot from MYSELF) which seems to do massive huge fire damage. I wanted more electric to take Eridian Shields down... and I think explosive was my favourite although it was about as rare as electric/corrosive... I pretty much -only- got good fire guns.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:39 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Cameo for last boss is pretty.... ugh.

So anyway.

Problems for me, from Borderlands:

Spoiler:
Gelsamel wrote:- Not Epic Enough.

- Loot and gear is entirely random. They should add in a non-random way to increase your gear stats like customisation (sockets/custom parts etc) so when you do find that one that one good weapon you can put a scope on it, or increase it's reload speed or something. It also just makes the loot that much cooler.

According to the devs, this would effectively break the weapon system they put in effect. The whole point is that you need to find the gun you want, not make one. If you could make the gun you want, then gun drops would soon be meaningless. You'd also spend more time in customization instead of skagicide, which is the point of the game. I agree that customization would be an awesome feature, but I have to agree with the devs that it wouldn't fit so well with the system.

-More mods on weapons (while suitably scaling the mobs to match), one of the coolest parts on diablo was finding weapons with a page worth of stats and trying to maximise the ones you wanted.

well, tecnically there are a lot of mods, but they just get automatically factored in to the weapon stats instead of coming up as a specific stat boost. e.g. the same rifle having different power on different levels.
And I mean, come on, there are moreo gun mods in this game than any other shooter in existence. Give them a break.

-Lack of Minimap, I can't count the number of times I've opened up the map.

-HUD upgrades and brands, I got a DAHL HUD? Fuck DAHL I want a Tediore HUD. (Maybe this is where they could put in the minimap and other neat features, like putting green diamonds on mobs so you can see them easier, or highlighting critical points.

Would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.
-More Believable World... I understand that Pandora is supposed to be a shithole post-apocalyptic type world... but having at least one well defended, well set up town where people only live in relative fear with obvious methods of supplying outlying shitholes would be a huge step towards this. It would've been cool if non-important NPCs interacted more as well rather than just having the one or two lines shared across all of them.

I think this is another throwback to Diablo. The focus is not the inhabitants, but the monsters that you must extinct-ify. Focus less on substance and more on killing.
-Along with the more believable world thing it would've been nice to see some different scenery, even if you want to make it a shithole postapoc planet you could still have some marshes or forests or something.

-More closure as I said above. Tannis just says she is going to keep the key safe? That's it? For some strange reason I wanted the ending to have Tannis live happily ever after (although still a bit crazy). I kinda wanted her to Lana Skye smile and get to go home at the end. Whatsherface at New Haven said shit all even though I drove the Lance away for her. Marcus said shit all despite the fact I presumably fucked off without mentioning anything else, and If my character did tell him about the vault.... he still said shit all. Zed said nothing past Fyrestone...

At first I hated the ending, and then I realized that it fit the whole attitude if the game quite well. It's quirky, non-sensical, humorous, and puts you right back into killing things.
- Stats and stat distribution, I suppose I'm asking for a lot of copy over from Diablo here.... I guess what I'm saying is the RPG system was too simplistic, the FPS part was done fine as far as I can see, though FPSes aren't my most played genre.

- Upgrades to the vehicles, I thought there was going to be more weapons and types because I got those so early on but there wasn't any...

Ya, this seems like something that they started to do, and then stopped. The fact that you can choose weapons that animate differently than than the rest of the body and that the vehicles animate so well smacks of an aborted feature (DLC, maybe?).
Still it was a pretty awesome game and I had fun, it just could've been so much better.

Incendiary Guns? I had so fucking many and I also had Phoenix (By the way... watch out for barrels when you use phoenix...... I died a lot from MYSELF) which seems to do massive huge fire damage. I wanted more electric to take Eridian Shields down... and I think explosive was my favourite although it was about as rare as electric/corrosive... I pretty much -only- got good fire guns.

Ya, I didn't have that. I got a huge amount of explosive, and i only got one fire x4 weapon (a yellow pistol) that I used for like 11 levels. Just last night I got hellfire SMG that is just awesome.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:15 pm UTC

tzvibish wrote:According to the devs, this would effectively break the weapon system they put in effect. The whole point is that you need to find the gun you want, not make one. If you could make the gun you want, then gun drops would soon be meaningless. You'd also spend more time in customization instead of skagicide, which is the point of the game. I agree that customization would be an awesome feature, but I have to agree with the devs that it wouldn't fit so well with the system.

Well, I don't mean 'make'. I just mean 'adjust'. So that if you're going unlucky on drops you can spend some money and customise your SMG to up it's damage a bit while you hopefully find something soon. Or so when you finally do find that perfect gun you love... but it doesn't have a scope... you can add that on.

I would only be one or two things you could add in my vision of it.

well, tecnically there are a lot of mods, but they just get automatically factored in to the weapon stats instead of coming up as a specific stat boost. e.g. the same rifle having different power on different levels.
And I mean, come on, there are moreo gun mods in this game than any other shooter in existence. Give them a break.

Right, shooter... but it's an RPG too... and the majority of guns are variations on the same gun and most weapon types share similar mods... Diablo's loot generation system is much superior imho. Because Borderlines tried to classify the guns into types (and put mods on appropriately) and then also classify them into brands (which share more mod types) you just get a whole lot of variations on the one thing. In Diablo any weapon could have any mod which introduced huge variation that you don't really see in this game. Most of the weapons felt the same to me, I guess that's what I'm saying.

Would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

Yeah it's more a nitpick of what could make it better.

I think this is another throwback to Diablo. The focus is not the inhabitants, but the monsters that you must extinct-ify. Focus less on substance and more on killing.

Except, and this is my next gripe... I didn't really care about extinctifying the monsters at all. Maybe because I didn't care about the people or maybe because the monsters weren't epic enough? All I know is I didn't give a shit about the vault and...

Spoiler:
Even though it was obvious what was going to be in "Pandora's Vault" I still didn't give a shit about what was in there.

This is what I kinda meant by it's not "epic" enough, although it also could have been longer. Maybe they should've gone with the Vault as a Disk One Final Dungeon.

At first I hated the ending, and then I realized that it fit the whole attitude if the game quite well. It's quirky, non-sensical, humorous, and puts you right back into killing things.

It... I wouldn't say it was really non-sensical and humorous. It was just uneventful.

Spoiler:
You killed the guy, good job -- here is some loot and money. Go play now. A computer thanked me (yet another character I didn't give a shit for) and that was it.

No "This is when you exit the game to get newgame+" either.

Ya, I didn't have that. I got a huge amount of explosive, and i only got one fire x4 weapon (a yellow pistol) that I used for like 11 levels. Just last night I got hellfire SMG that is just awesome.

I had a x3 Hallelujah Fire SMG and the Pele Sniper (400 or so damage x4 Fire always proc Sniper, was way OP even with 0 sniper skill), a bunch of other fire oranges too and some Tediore non elemental oranges (Revolver with +200% Melee, some others.

I guess, if the game wasn't about the characters and the world, but was rather about blowing monsters up.... Uh then I think it did pretty poorly. The monsters weren't awesome enough, weren't many enough, weren't big enough, weren't ferocious enough. There wasn't a point where I was fighting a monster and was thinking "Oh shit oh shit oh shit oh shit!" while begging my shotgun to reload faster or my potion to heal a bit faster. It felt more like I was on pest control duty.

Everyone one of the bosses in Diablo was epic and made you feel badass when you beat them. And getting swamped by many mobs (some of which were special and thus could pwn you) and beating them all was awesome.

Spoiler:
The coolest mob in Borderlands was a really slow moving carrier that did basically nothing.... I mean it attacked like twice and one of those times was just launching Rakks.

Wtb more frequency of attacks/special moves from -everything- in borderlands.

But as I said, still fun. Just not all that it could be, for me at least.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:45 pm UTC

Well, have you started 2nd playthrough yet?

On lvl 40-50, with a 4-person party, the mobs become more diablo-espue in their ferocity and numbers. The 3-4 lvl 20 spiderants from 1st playthrough are now 15-20 lvl 43 spiderants with 3-4 elemental badasses thrown in for kicks and giggles. Every fight becomes a fight to survive, and actually requires some tactics. Especially with the bruisers (now brutes). The amount of health on these guys becomes a big problem unless you're ready to dish out the damage, and they're backed up by psychos (now maniacs) who can drop you to your knees with two swipes.

It's like playing a whole new game.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:50 pm UTC

I have one other, really REALLY stupid question about this game: How do you set the split screen from Horizontal to Vertical? At one friend's place, we played and couldn't find the option for it, so just played with vertical (like || ). I started a game on my own 360 at another friend's house (with an uber-widescreen TV) and it set it to horizontal (like an = sign). Or do we not get to adjust it ourselves?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Awia

Postby Awia » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:15 pm UTC

Aikanaro wrote:For those of us who are insufficiently cultured, what game? First thing I thought of was it reminded me of the tentacle boss in Half Life 1 (you know, the one that you fry with the jet engine in the "Blast Pit" level).
You're close, it's the Gene worm from the end of Half Life: Opposing Force.
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

LTK

Postby LTK » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:45 pm UTC

Awia wrote:
Aikanaro wrote:For those of us who are insufficiently cultured, what game? First thing I thought of was it reminded me of the tentacle boss in Half Life 1 (you know, the one that you fry with the jet engine in the "Blast Pit" level).
You're close, it's the Gene worm from the end of Half Life: Opposing Force.

If they really made a cameo from that, I get the impression that they did it well, because that boos was so lame. Haven't gotten to the end of Borderlands, though.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:51 am UTC

Man I'd really like it if sniper rifles had better accuracy. Even the 97acc varieties I've come across can be annoyingly unreliable at any kind of reasonable distance. Maybe it's cuz I'm playing in Lilith? I dunno.

Also has anyone else tried Lilith's assassination tree? I've got my full +800% melee damage when leaving phasewalk and it still doesn't seem to be more than tickling enemies.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:19 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:Man I'd really like it if sniper rifles had better accuracy. Even the 97acc varieties I've come across can be annoyingly unreliable at any kind of reasonable distance. Maybe it's cuz I'm playing in Lilith? I dunno.

Also has anyone else tried Lilith's assassination tree? I've got my full +800% melee damage when leaving phasewalk and it still doesn't seem to be more than tickling enemies.

Have you got a +% Melee Damage weapon? I don't have any of the melee talents and I can melee for like 500-1000 with +200% melee, and the best you can get on a weapon iirc is +300% melee damage.

Also for snipers, if you just use them more often your skill will go up and they'll be more accurate. If you're lucky, like me, you'll find a gun with something about "Pele's Wrath" on it (A volcano that erupted) it'll be x4 fire and have 100% chance to proc. Then you don't even need to hit anything... I've 1 shot mooks by shooting the ground near their feet with it.

The worst part about snipers is being unsteadied randomly, or by being shot. Some guns I've noticed just randomly waiver a lot whereas some are pretty steady.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:31 am UTC

That's because the skill is broken. As far as I'm aware, that hasn't been patched on the PC version yet. It's also not after leaving Phasewalk, it's just when you melee yourself out of it. At least, that's the impression I got from the description. It really didn't sound useful to me.

The Utilitarian

Postby The Utilitarian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:42 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:That's because the skill is broken. As far as I'm aware, that hasn't been patched on the PC version yet. It's also not after leaving Phasewalk, it's just when you melee yourself out of it. At least, that's the impression I got from the description. It really didn't sound useful to me.

Aye I understand how it's sposed to work, unfortunate that it's bugged. Does this game have a "respec" option? Skill tree's kinda a waste if the capstone talent doesn't function.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:04 am UTC

Yep, at the New-U stations you can respec.

I went for full Bullet Damage.

I got;
5/5 Increased Fire Rate
5/5 Increase Elemental Proc rate
5/5 Increased Speed/EXP on kill (helpful for closing the distance)
5/5 Phoenix (Does huge fire damage to everything around you, watch out for barrels... also less ammo use)

5/5 Increased Crit Damage
5/5 Increased Bullet accuracy and Damage on Kill

and I'm like at 4/5 or so Increased Bullet Speed and Damage. After I max this I might get the reduced damage while coming out of phase walk, or increased shield capacity one.

My strategy is to equip a Class Mod with huge +SMG stats and hopefully bonuses to any of the above skills then rush in (phase walk if necessary) and blast things in the head at melee range (500-600 Crits at 15 or so bullets a second...) Using the biggest shield you can find. Once you kill something (which takes no time) your damage goes through the roof and half the time just standing next to the mobs will melt them to death (my phoenix has, at times, done around 400-700 DPS by itself... don't ask me how it does this).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:13 am UTC

Shield bonuses are amazing. I've got a class mod that gives me +4 Diva, and +39% team shields. On top of my 5/5 Diva skill. That's like, +84% shield. I'm at 3305 shielding.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Shield bonuses are amazing. I've got a class mod that gives me +4 Diva, and +39% team shields. On top of my 5/5 Diva skill. That's like, +84% shield. I'm at 3305 shielding.

Yeah those'll what I'll be getting, along with the shield regen on kill one.

My typical strategy on the bruisers and badass bruisers is to just phasewalk behind them, corrosive phasewalk explode them w/ phoenix on while SMGing at 15rounds a second into their face. They die pretty damn quickly.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Feh. Darned Sirens. As the hunter with maxed Deadly and Calibur (Crit and Sniper Damage) I kill brutes and whatevers in two crits. The only thing I ever have trouble with are Skags cause they rarely open their mouths to me unless they don't know I'm there
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:40 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Amnesiasoft wrote:Shield bonuses are amazing. I've got a class mod that gives me +4 Diva, and +39% team shields. On top of my 5/5 Diva skill. That's like, +84% shield. I'm at 3305 shielding.

Yeah those'll what I'll be getting, along with the shield regen on kill one.

My typical strategy on the bruisers and badass bruisers is to just phasewalk behind them, corrosive phasewalk explode them w/ phoenix on while SMGing at 15rounds a second into their face. They die pretty damn quickly.

I'm going for shields of doom, too, and I can assure you that the shield regeneration is very useful - especially when you already have a massive bonus to shield strength.

I mostly use Phasewalk as an emergency escape mechanism, especially since I have 5+3 Inner Glow, which just about restores my health entirely. I used to be using Dramatic Entrance and Hard to Get, but I found I tended to get shot up a bit too much when I appeared near an enemy, perhaps because I've been playing single-player and therefore have no backup. I've since respecced to get High Velocity and the other shooting skills instead, and it's working well. Also Mind Games is awesome.

I'm curious as to how well Radiance and Phoenix work, though. I was considering another re-spec just to try them out.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:10 am UTC

Radiance is kind of lame. Phoenix is awesome as long as you don't stray too close to any exploding barrels.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:40 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:Radiance is kind of lame. Phoenix is awesome as long as you don't stray too close to any exploding barrels.

I can't count how many times I've exploded a barrel and responded like "Whoa! Who is shooting at me!?" while backing up to see where the person is.. and walking into another barrel and dying and being like "Wtf!? Wtf killed me!?".
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Return to “Gaming”