Borderlands

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ian

Re: Borderlands

Postby ian » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:06 pm UTC

Thanks to those who offered to help me get "And they'll tellt wo friends", one of my friends I'm palying with got it by accident, so I have it now anyway.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 pm UTC

As a Soldier, I laugh at your Siren concerns. How quickly do I kill an enemy? Takes about a second with my assault rifle or maybe two with my shotgun because of its lower rate of fire (but it EXPLODES THEM). If I need to bring out the big guns I have a x4 incendiary rocket launcher. If the blast doesn't kill them the immolation will. What do I do when my shield is low? Turret, biatches. It heals me and kills shit. What do I do if my team-mates are low on health and my turret hasn't cooled down yet? I SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE. For massive damage healing.

Nor do I have a problem with skags. What do I do? I shoot them. The sustained damage gets them dead.

I'm an assault medic. Oh yeah. And my class mod not only increases my team's shield capacity, but also increases their recharge rate.

Numzane

Postby Numzane » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:20 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:A bunch of stuff.
I just shoot guys in the head and they die. [/hunter]

But seriously, revolvers are pretty cool.

Edit: Would ya look at that, my avatar is broken again. Or maybe not. Who knows.
*Often edits posts as soon as they're posted*

James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:59 pm UTC

Numzane wrote:But seriously, revolvers are pretty cool.

As the TV Tropes page says, Revolvers Are Just Better.

LuNatic

Postby LuNatic » Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 pm UTC

Gah, the frigging bloodwing is useless. What's the point of all these bonuses if the damn things just gonna go get stuck in the nearest skylight for 30 seconds, and then come back without actually having attacked anything?
Cynical Idealist wrote:
Velict wrote:Good Jehova, there are cheesegraters on the blagotube!

This is, for some reason, one of the funniest things I've read today.

iowasnowboarder

Postby iowasnowboarder » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

I'm looking for someone to help me with "and they'll tell two friends," or just some good co-op. I'll be on tonight after 7p MST.

Lvl 30 Brute, Xboxlive iowasnowboarder

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:21 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:As a Soldier, I laugh at your Siren concerns.

Concerns? We only have one concern, and that only applies if you've specced into Phoenix. Newsflash: Every class in this game is overpowered at 50.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:29 pm UTC

And really phoenix's ridiculously overpowered DPS outweighs the fact that you have to not run into barrels when its on.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:06 pm UTC

My bloodwing is ridiculously powerful, and it takes a lot of the fun out of big single-player fights (in MP, especially in lvl40-50, bloodwing doesn't scale up with the enemies, so the effect is lessened).

Basic strategy: Get into a medium-range position where shots generally won't hit me, let loose the bloodwing (with lvl.5 element artifact) and explode heads with my exploding sniper.

Every hit of bloodwing lets loose waterfalls of health, money, and ammo, and even more loot when the enemy dies. Follow that up with loot modifiers in class mod, and more loot modifiers in my skill tree, and you literally can't see the floor sometimes after a big fight.

The rest is mop up (with revolvers, of course).
-Featuring the Comic Strip XKCD!

pedal2000

Postby pedal2000 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:51 pm UTC

I'm only at around 27-8 right now, but medic seems weak when we play. Question, the "regen" stat - is it broken? The one that is suppose to revive on turret drops? I've never had someone revive when I plop my turret down next to them.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:52 pm UTC

I think that just refers to HP regen, not giving second wind.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:56 pm UTC

I'll have to try spec'ing all rogue. Right now I'm mixed over Sniper skills and bloodwing skills, but none of the loot boosts. Might be a good way to make a lot of money short term and then switch back.

Anyone know how the +skill mods work? Do you need to have a point in the skill before it counts it, because I had one that should be adding to the number of targets the bloodwing will go for, but I'm not seeing it.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:13 pm UTC

I think you have to be able to drop points in the skill but you don't have to have points in it. Meaning, if you haven't reached the skill yet, then it won't add to it. I may be wrong though. Right now, I have a purple scavenger mod that does +2 to team find rare loot. I got it near the end of 1st playthorugh (high 20s) I haven't used anything else since (i'm lvl 48 right now).

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:06 pm UTC

You need at least one point in the skill to gain any benefit from the boost in the mod, otherwise it continuously stacks according to fuzzy logic. For example, Deploy - lowers turret cooldown by 20%. After 5 points (bringing the cooldown to 50 sec) it suddenly changes the amount reduced, unknown how much - but with a level 8 Deploy it takes roughly 40 seconds or so to be up again. Other static effect mods (+% to damage, hp, etc) seem to stack linearly, but some decent support from Gearbox would go a long way to fixing things.

As to Bloodwing - at least in some situations, Bloodwing has the effects of being a bullet. Now go back to your skill trees and figure out how this can be abused, and extra credit for bringing back/guessing the situation it was tested with.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:You need at least one point in the skill to gain any benefit from the boost in the mod, otherwise it continuously stacks according to fuzzy logic. For example, Deploy - lowers turret cooldown by 20%. After 5 points (bringing the cooldown to 50 sec) it suddenly changes the amount reduced, unknown how much - but with a level 8 Deploy it takes roughly 40 seconds or so to be up again. Other static effect mods (+% to damage, hp, etc) seem to stack linearly, but some decent support from Gearbox would go a long way to fixing things.

As to Bloodwing - at least in some situations, Bloodwing has the effects of being a bullet. Now go back to your skill trees and figure out how this can be abused, and extra credit for bringing back/guessing the situation it was tested with.

Bad example, the text for Deploy is misleading. Simple explanation for folks to understand: Whatever it says, cut it in half. Max out Deploy and the cooldown timer will be 50% of base.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:59 pm UTC

Think of it as an increase in recharge rate. If it recharges 100% faster, that's twice as fast, so the cooldown is essentially reduced by 50%. I've never really understood why people write these things with misleading text like that.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:12 pm UTC

ArchangelShrike wrote:As to Bloodwing - at least in some situations, Bloodwing has the effects of being a bullet. Now go back to your skill trees and figure out how this can be abused, and extra credit for bringing back/guessing the situation it was tested with.

I totally missed this part, even as I quoted the text. You, sir, are a magnificent bastard.
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

Yeah, the actual formula that's being used is quotable at many places for Deploy, but it's probably the best example of badly written descriptions out there which is why I used it.

As to Bloodwing, people get bored two-manning things, arguments occur as to which paint scheme is best on a runner, and duels happen. The fact that my partner is a completely... something Hunter and he would loose his pet on me makes him a bastard, since I can't even approach him without dropping.

dorsai

Postby dorsai » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:39 am UTC

I'm currently level forty-something as Roland, and I have to say: Infinite(ish) ammo is great. The support gunner class mod is better than pretty much everything else I've come across, with 11 ammo regen and adds to overload and impact. My friend and I never run out of ammo on anything in a normal situation - only if we hold down fire for a long time on a high rate of fire weapon.

Which leads me to my next item: The Leviathan. 9 round clip (for me) and high-angle x4 incindiary rocket launcher! No ammo woes == dead enemies and healed teammates (And lots and lots and lots of 'splosions!). Anybody else have the joy of being artillery with that thing?

The turret is kinda meh, but I don't have anything in turret skills, so I'm probably not really qualified to say much. But it is great at holding back skags when you're getting overwhelmed.

Also: I'm kinda mixed on my views of the whole duping thing...I made all my money the legit way, but occasionally my roommate will dupe something unique/fun - kinda feels lame but has eliminated some heated arguments about drops...

Edit: And if anyone wants to play online, my XBL tag is dorsai3d - add me and I won't hoover up your loot, either ^.^

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 am UTC

Leviathan is too powerful, I mean projectile Velocity wise... even at a really high angle (about 75) it went out almost to the horizon for me... maybe because I have bullet velocity skills.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:11 am UTC

dorsai wrote:The support gunner class mod is better than pretty much everything else I've come across,

I found a tactitian class mod early on. Bonuses to my shield skills, increased shield capacity and recharge speed for the whole team and increased health regen in my turret's radius. It's level 16 and I'm level 37. No other class mod has come close :P

dorsai wrote:The turret is kinda meh, but I don't have anything in turret skills, so I'm probably not really qualified to say much. But it is great at holding back skags when you're getting overwhelmed.

A turret with a shock artefact is a godsend when fighting a bunch of guardians (especially sera) without any proper shock weapons. It's also great for the whole team when you're low on health and have the regen radius on it, and sinking some points into improving its damage and burst fire output makes it quite effective.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:19 am UTC

I found a Purple Merc Mod really early on... 40% SMG damage, 32 or so % SMG reload speed. +2/3 to 3x Skills, only one of which I is one I don't have in the Control Tree. The others were increased Crit and some other bullet related buffs.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:58 pm UTC

I prefer Ranger mods for Mordecai. I have one with something like +4 Bird of Prey and +4 Predator, which means Bloodwing can attack up to 9 times before returning, then cools down in about 2 seconds.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

tzvibish

Postby tzvibish » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:03 pm UTC

I'm gonna have to disagree on the class mod for mordecai. I found a scavenger mod with +2 team find rare items, which should really say "+2 to the entire point of the game!!" There's been some heavily technicla discussion on other forums on how that specific perk is measured, but regardless, it's the best.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:38 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:guardians

As a hunter, I laugh at your soldier concerns.

I one shot guardians. With a pistol.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 am UTC

aion7 wrote:I one shot guardians. With a pistol.

I wouldn't have had a problem if I found some decently accurate shock weapons. As it stood I only had a shock shotgun, which while accurate for a shotgun (around 65%) wasn't good enough to get many of the pellets into sera, and a rather innaccurate shock combat rifle. Luck of the draw*, I guess.

* - Pun not intended.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:55 pm UTC

Well, I have now finished my first play through as a Soldier. Not bad, but I'm not totally sold on playing this through again (and again).
Spoiler:
I used the same Shotgun, Assault+Sniper rifles and Class mod for.. 12, 15 levels? Never changed grenade type after I got Corrosive MIRVs.
The loot better get a *lot* more uber in second play through.

Pandora's Vault was a Disk One dungeon. Disc Two is Borderlands 2, I'm betting. How could they not, with the final satellite bit? We found out who was "using us" on the smaller scale, next we find out who's manipulating the whole planet! "Strangely child-like Angel-woman" has to be found too. Although she is immortal, so I wonder why she'd be working for Hyperion..
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

H2SO4
NOCTUNICUS, LORD OF SLEEP

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:11 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:Well, I have now finished my first play through as a Soldier. Not bad, but I'm not totally sold on playing this through again (and again).
Spoiler:
I used the same Shotgun, Assault+Sniper rifles and Class mod for.. 12, 15 levels? Never changed grenade type after I got Corrosive MIRVs.
The loot better get a *lot* more uber in second play through.

Pandora's Vault was a Disk One dungeon. Disc Two is Borderlands 2, I'm betting. How could they not, with the final satellite bit? We found out who was "using us" on the smaller scale, next we find out who's manipulating the whole planet! "Strangely child-like Angel-woman" has to be found too. Although she is immortal, so I wonder why she'd be working for Hyperion..

Spoiler:
She's not immortal, she's an AI. And the fact that no humans knew what was in the Vault or it's location, that suggests that either she or Hyperion itself was made by aliens.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:22 pm UTC

You make a lot of sense.
Spoiler:
That would explain the affinity for Claptraps. But maybe it was just her vantage point that allowed her to see it? And I'd expect Hyperion's to be a lot more shock-based if they were alien influenced. I stand by my assertion that there'll be a sequel though.

Spam here please

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:43 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:I stand by my assertion that there'll be a sequel though.

I think there's an interview with someone from Gearbox out on the webs that says that they're most likely going to do a Borderlands 2, but no planning has taken place yet.

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:58 pm UTC

Nemiro wrote:You make a lot of sense.
Spoiler:
That would explain the affinity for Claptraps. But maybe it was just her vantage point that allowed her to see it? And I'd expect Hyperion's to be a lot more shock-based if they were alien influenced. I stand by my assertion that there'll be a sequel though.

Spoiler:
Eh.... Thing is, it wasn't just out in the open with a neon sign. Yes, it was among alien ruins and what not, but so was Tannis, and Tannis wasn't that close to the Vault. But again, how did she know what was in the Vault? She either was there before the aliens got there, or was created by the aliens.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:19 pm UTC

Spoiler:
It's actually -really- strange that the AI was on a Hyperion Satellite. You would think that if Hyperion is related to the aliens, or knows of the AI, or knows of the Vault then that they would somehow have a role in defending the vault. Yet they're nowhere to be found.

So why was the AI who was obviously made to help people stop The Destroyer from being released be on a Hyperion Satellite? You could hardly say it was accidental, yet so convenient. So it had to be played on the Satellite purposely.

Or are Hyperion weapons rare because they aren't around anymore and Hyperion was indeed a guardian organisation that was descended or influenced from the Eridians? And if so, why did they go to such lengths to make their tech so obviously foreign to Eridian tech?

To be honest I think these questions are pretty unanswerable in a reasonable fashion.

Also, Disk One Final Dungeons usually have The Reveal. You could call the AI a Reveal... but thats not the same type of reveal. It's possible they could do the "Oh shit, this is getting crazy!" reveal at the start of Borderlands 2, but that would feel like an excuse they patched on top for an excuse to do another game (It wouldn't feel like that if it was in Borderlands 1).
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:27 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Well, the other reveal is that Claptraps (or at least that one) are interplanetary ninja assassins. Either that was a dev joke, or it will actually play a role in Borderlands 2.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:29 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Tannis didn't know what was in the vault, did she?

Just finished the game, was a bit disappointed with the anticlimactic ending. I felt the game was much longer then it needed to be, being 95% fighting bandits and skags and spiderants and shit, and only about 5% fighting something interesting (guardians, big bosses, etc)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:30 pm UTC

Spoiler:
I figure it was either a joke or perhaps a bullshit excuse to say that the last boss of Borderlands 2 will be The Destroyer, because it's spirit escape somehow into a machine... (don't ask me) and then maybe got into something else etc.

I highly doubt they'll use that though, I assume it's a joke.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

H2SO4

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:33 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Spoiler:
Tannis didn't know what was in the vault, did she?

Spoiler:
No, sorry. Grammatical ambiguity on my part. We were talking about the AI "Angel" and how it could've known what was in the Vault or where it was, considering that it wasn't really sitting out in the open. And the presence of alien ruins around it doesn't really give a clue, as Tannis was around alien ruins and didn't find anything. That was when I then provided the point again as to how the AI could know what was in the Vault.

Eh. Doubtful. As the Destroyer was in physical form when it came out, I assume it inhabits a host physically, not spiritually.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:13 am UTC

Spoiler:
You guys are taking this story way too seriously. I'm pretty sure it's just there to give you an excuse to kill things.

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:33 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Spoiler:
You guys are taking this story way too seriously. I'm pretty sure it's just there to give you an excuse to kill things.

Spoiler:
Well, if I'm honest I thought the game was too short anyway. Either that or I was way more absorbed than I reckoned.

And the vault *is* out in the open if you're looking down from a satellite. I mean, you start off going underground, but it's not a cavern at the end (so should have been though).

EDIT: Not all of this is addressed to amnesiasoft. More to the thread in general :P

Spam here please

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:57 am UTC

The story has one big hole in it as I see it
Spoiler:
So, the vault is built to be opened every X years, to let out a extra-dimensional demon. But why the hell make a vault for this creature? Why make it open at all instead of being sealed forever? Why not just drop a nuke in the vault? Why not just destroy the creature to begin with?

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:41 am UTC

I don't think the vault OPENS, I think it CAN be opened every 200 years. If you wait around 200 centuries, but don't have the key, not a damn thing will happen. This makes sure that anyone gunning for the thing will likely take the time to prepare well for it.
Dear xkcd,

Love, Aikanaro.

Return to “Gaming”