Dragon Age: Origins

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Jessica » Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:04 pm UTC

It's about what you can expect from a yahtzee review. "If you like these games, you'll like it. if you don't you won't".
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:24 pm UTC

Finished my first playthrough yesterday. Once you've finished gathering allies it seems theres a LOT of ways the end can play out
Spoiler:
Things to decide like:
- Killing Loghain, or having Allistair doing it, or making him a Grey Warden
- Allistair, Anora or both are regents (I think if you're noble you can somehow get there too, I was a mage so I don't know)
- You or Allistair sacrificing themselves at the end OR using Morrigan's ritual instead

All those together leave a fairly large combination of ways you can end the game which I quite like.


Trying my second run-through with a human noble 2-handed warrior. Party will be: PC, Morrigan, Zevran and Shale. Considering my first playthrough was the easy mode: PC (mage), Wynn, Allistair, Leliana, I suspect this second melee heavy group will be tougher.

End game question
Spoiler:
Do your allies actually do anything in the final battles? I had that indicator thing on the right side of my screen but the numbers on it never changed. Can you use them or something? Some of the fights leading up to the palace were brutally difficult like the one with a ton of random grunts/grunt archers, several Shrikes, 2 yellow corrupted dragon things, 3 yellow enemy casters and 1 yellow named enemy archer. I ended up staying back and killing all the archers at ranged with Leliana without anything else attacking me. But really 3 enemy mages that don't die very fast (due to yellow health bars) and 3 squishy characters (2 mages + archer) made that fight absurdly difficult.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:40 pm UTC

Chen wrote:End game question
Spoiler:
Do your allies actually do anything in the final battles? I had that indicator thing on the right side of my screen but the numbers on it never changed. Can you use them or something? Some of the fights leading up to the palace were brutally difficult like the one with a ton of random grunts/grunt archers, several Shrikes, 2 yellow corrupted dragon things, 3 yellow enemy casters and 1 yellow named enemy archer. I ended up staying back and killing all the archers at ranged with Leliana without anything else attacking me. But really 3 enemy mages that don't die very fast (due to yellow health bars) and 3 squishy characters (2 mages + archer) made that fight absurdly difficult.


Spoiler:
Did you never see the allies coming to your aid? In different areas I tried each of the different groups for variety. A squad of 6 or so of whatever ally I called would come in and start fighting beside me. If any died their total number would go down, and I think new ones would come in to keep their squad size the same.
Also, I wonder how much effect giving goods to your allies through the crates in your camp help out. By the end of the game I had a lot of gold and such, so I emptied my pockets of gold for the Redcliffe soldiers, runes for the templars, gems for the dwarves, and crafting supplies for the elves. During the end I had 50 each of soldiers, elves, and dwarves, but only 12 templars. It's possible I donated significantly less runes, probably explaining the lower amount of units.


For my first playthrough I played a male Dwarven commoner two-handed weapons warrior. I played him as a good guy looking out for equality and justice. I figure for my next play through I'll play as a female dual-weapons rogue (race undecided -- I'll probably make that decision once I see the other origin stories) and as much as possible make the entire opposite decision that I did through my first play through. 'Course, some places there's more than two options, but I think that'll cover a lot of ground. At that point, I don't know if I'll care enough for any more playthroughs, so I'll probably just read faqs and wikis to cover any decisions I might've missed.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:17 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Spoiler:
Did you never see the allies coming to your aid? In different areas I tried each of the different groups for variety. A squad of 6 or so of whatever ally I called would come in and start fighting beside me. If any died their total number would go down, and I think new ones would come in to keep their squad size the same.
Also, I wonder how much effect giving goods to your allies through the crates in your camp help out. By the end of the game I had a lot of gold and such, so I emptied my pockets of gold for the Redcliffe soldiers, runes for the templars, gems for the dwarves, and crafting supplies for the elves. During the end I had 50 each of soldiers, elves, and dwarves, but only 12 templars. It's possible I donated significantly less runes, probably explaining the lower amount of units.



Spoiler:
You could call allies to you? That probably woulda made those fights significantly easier. Like I said I never saw any of them arrive and never really played with that window that appeared. As for the numbers I think it just defaults like that. I had 50 solidiers, elves and dwarves and only 12 mages (who you get instead of Templars depending on how you do the mage tower). I didn't do ANY of the donation things.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:06 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
Spoiler:
You could call allies to you? That probably woulda made those fights significantly easier. Like I said I never saw any of them arrive and never really played with that window that appeared. As for the numbers I think it just defaults like that. I had 50 solidiers, elves and dwarves and only 12 mages (who you get instead of Templars depending on how you do the mage tower). I didn't do ANY of the donation things.

Spoiler:
In case it matters, I'm playing it on 360, so I don't know how different the interface might be, but at the beginning of the battle for Denerim a little screen popped up and told me I now had access to allies under the advanced menu. Under that I was able to select one of the 4 groups (exactly like how you selected forms in that Fade level). Once selected I'd hear a little bugle call and then some guys would rush up and help out.

Interesting to know about the donations. I think next time I won't give anyone anything and see how I fare. They weren't a huge help anyway, it was just a nice addition.


Speaking of the mage tower
Spoiler:
How do you side with the mages? I apparently sided with the templars and didn't realize it. I'm trying to remember the conversation and options and I'm trying to remember where the decision point might have been, but I don't recall anything that jumped out, because if I'd payed attention I would have went with the mages.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

pseudoidiot wrote:
Spoiler:
In case it matters, I'm playing it on 360, so I don't know how different the interface might be, but at the beginning of the battle for Denerim a little screen popped up and told me I now had access to allies under the advanced menu. Under that I was able to select one of the 4 groups (exactly like how you selected forms in that Fade level). Once selected I'd hear a little bugle call and then some guys would rush up and help out.

Interesting to know about the donations. I think next time I won't give anyone anything and see how I fare. They weren't a huge help anyway, it was just a nice addition.

Spoiler:
It is the same thing as the Fade icons on the PC. I clicked them but nothing really happened. I don't recall trying to double click or anything or right clicking so maybe it was something like that. I'll try when I get home.


Speaking of the mage tower
Spoiler:
How do you side with the mages? I apparently sided with the templars and didn't realize it. I'm trying to remember the conversation and options and I'm trying to remember where the decision point might have been, but I don't recall anything that jumped out, because if I'd payed attention I would have went with the mages.


Spoiler:
I don't remember exactly what I did but it definitely had something to do with talking to Gregor and saying how you'd go rescue Irving. Also at the end you might have had to say similar stuff to the templar that was trapped in the forcefield (like don't go agreeing with him that they all need to die). Irving's a badass in the final fight with the archdemon too btw :P

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:12 pm UTC

I thought the game was too short and...
Spoiler:
The Archdemon should've been a First Disc Final Dungeon thing.

Especially considering the Arrows to Orlais etc. It should've been "Yes, we fucked up the Archdemon! Wait? What's this? A messenger from Orlais saying that recently an Archdemon turned up in Orlais? Wtf! Two Archdemons at once!? ZOMG CONSPIRACY! DARK FORCES ARE AT WORK!" and then I'd get a bunch more adventure and check out how pretty Orlais is and like, try reform the Chevaliers or something.


Also I suppose it could be the way I build the character but a backstabbing rogue seems to ruin most other classes and with high cunning they're piss easy to get awesome persuade (I started games with characters that couldn't talk good and I had to quit because it sucked so much). My 2h Warriors just don't hit fast enough or hard enough to beat backstabbing for 60-70 crits each hit.

That being said, range is pretty good on the dragons since they knock you back a bunch, so I might try a bow rogue (although ranger only has summons, wtf. I want more bow skills or passives) with good talking.

Mages:
Spoiler:
I sided with the mages, but I'm sure you could just force the Right of Annulment and do that automatically. Also, did anyone out cunning that desire demon? I wasn't able to despite a whole lot of cunning and talking talents. Although I did get the nice templar armor from that templar.


Dwarf:
Spoiler:
I'm thinking about doing Dwarf Noble next since I want to see what happens with the whole political thing. But last time I went Harrowmount and it was made out that Bhelen would've been the one who fixed how fucked up the castes were (People commented about how Harrowmount was going to keep the status quo)... despite him framing you, working with criminals, not caring about anything but being king, and trying to assassinate Harrowmount after he lost the crown.


Dalish:
Spoiler:
The Dalish were looking to be more interesting than the Dwarf until it turned out the Mirror and the last Dalish home-city had nothing to do with their storyline.


Armies:
Spoiler:
Anyone know what the last army you can get at the end is? One of the circles wasn't filled in for me but I got the achievement about uniting Ferelden. I know you can supposedly get the Wolves, but wouldn't those just replace the dalish? Unless you can manage to get both by killing the Keeper and lying to the Dalish.



Quest Ending Stuff:
Spoiler:
I found it really difficult to find a likeable ending to Loghain. I wanted to make him a Grey Warden and have Alistair not chuck a hissy fit but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I didn't want to personally kill Loghain so after 20 or so attempts trying different options (like trying to make the Landsmeet unanimous) the best I could come up with was getting Alistair to kill him after dueling him (since I didn't want to kill him and if I made Alistair king to kill him then he gets pissed at me for making him king)


Traps:
Spoiler:
Is it just me or is there not a single class/race/origin combo that starts with skill in Traps? Meaning you actually have to spend points in it instead of other things before you get to Lothering to do that girls quest?



Edit:
Armies2:
Spoiler:
I had the exact same numbers others had mentioned. 50 of everything except the mages (or templars) which I had 12 of. Perhaps those are the base numbers or the donations just make them stronger.



Edit2:

Armies3:
Spoiler:
Anyone check out if using the Anvil nets you golems in the final battle?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:35 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I thought the game was too short
Took me about 42 hours in-game to beat (can probably add a couple hours to that to account for retrying some sections and things like that). I think that's pretty respectable compared to most games now-a-days. 'Course, my next playthrough should be considerably faster since I'll know more about what I'm doing and I won't be reading every single codex entry.
Gelsamel wrote:Dwarf:
Spoiler:
I'm thinking about doing Dwarf Noble next since I want to see what happens with the whole political thing. But last time I went Harrowmount and it was made out that Bhelen would've been the one who fixed how fucked up the castes were (People commented about how Harrowmount was going to keep the status quo)... despite him framing you, working with criminals, not caring about anything but being king, and trying to assassinate Harrowmount after he lost the crown.
Spoiler:
Something I read made out sound like they both turned out to be pretty lousy choices in the end.
Gelsamel wrote:Quest Ending Stuff:
Spoiler:
I found it really difficult to find a likeable ending to Loghain. I wanted to make him a Grey Warden and have Alistair not chuck a hissy fit but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I didn't want to personally kill Loghain so after 20 or so attempts trying different options (like trying to make the Landsmeet unanimous) the best I could come up with was getting Alistair to kill him after dueling him (since I didn't want to kill him and if I made Alistair king to kill him then he gets pissed at me for making him king)
Spoiler:
Actually that's one of the few decisions I didn't have a difficult time at all. There was no way my semi-righteous dwarf was going to forgive Loghain for betraying the king and as much as I wanted to do the deed myself, I knew Alistair needed it more than I did.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:56 pm UTC

I'm thinking some of the stuff I did in the wrong order, despite having all the talk talents and having a majority of stats in cunning (The rogue talent that lets you use cunning for damage... haha) there were some persuasions I was unable to do.

Spoiler:
Stopping the Researcher from announcing where the Ashes were. I was unable to get Alistair and the Queen hooked. I was unable to get the Desire Demon in the tower to stand down.


And yeah, despite what Alistair tells you about "It's your decision" it's fucking hard as fuck to NOT go to Redcliff -> (Circle Of Mages) -> Denerim -> Ashes because say, if you're a dwarf noble and want to check out Orzammar asap you get your ass kicked real hard. I only beat some of the later missions in Orzammar by the skin of my teeth.


Perhaps a few others that I forgot.

Oh, did anyone else notice a huge problem with how steams of enemies come out? I mean enemies that are supposed to slowly trickle in... a lot of them get stuck and I just end up running up to them myself.

Spoiler:
Notably defending Redcliff from Undead, Redcliff Castle from Dawkspawn, The Alienage from Darkspawn.


Edit:

Spoiler:
Also, as for the length... well I liked the game and I wanted to see more content. I wanted to have another entire map full of new locations. I wanted to do other epic stuff unrelated to the normal storyline, like find the Dalish's lost city or make friends with/conquer Orlais etc.

This is why I wanted the arch demon to basically be a First Disc Final Dungeon thing because, well, as the game said (at least my playthrough) the blight was finish without pretty much anyone outside of Ferelden knowing about it.

I mean, I think it's pretty obvious they'll do a sequel where you can load in your character and the choices made in the first game will carry onto the next. But still I wanted to explore all those other places in this game. I mean, there was a fucking arrow pointing to Orlais and we could go right next to that arrow but it was just a tease and wouldn't let you actually get there D:<
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:31 am UTC

While I'm going pretty well with my Arcane Warrior I'm thinking of startin another playthrough with a dwarf rogue. I think I'm going to try a really tactical approach, use a lot of traps, glyph spells, set of ambushes, that kind of thing. I think it'll really change the feel of the game.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:36 am UTC

A decked out Arcane Warrior with a bunch of passives and blood magic is kind of.... ridiculously hard to kill.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:A decked out Arcane Warrior with a bunch of passives and blood magic is kind of.... ridiculously hard to kill.

Hard to kill yes but less fun I find. The whole "super passive buffs" arcane warrior idea seems to work well but I just find it so dull. No attack skills, no mana left for much spell usage... Honestly I was super excited about Arcane Warrior to start with but now it just feels like I'm stuck halfway between mage and fighter and can't have maximum fun with either. I guess it's effective but dull.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:51 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:A decked out Arcane Warrior with a bunch of passives and blood magic is kind of.... ridiculously hard to kill.

Hard to kill yes but less fun I find. The whole "super passive buffs" arcane warrior idea seems to work well but I just find it so dull. No attack skills, no mana left for much spell usage... Honestly I was super excited about Arcane Warrior to start with but now it just feels like I'm stuck halfway between mage and fighter and can't have maximum fun with either. I guess it's effective but dull.


Well blood mage fixes the mana problem a bit (and gives them some real cool spells) but yeah, they're pretty much just an auto attack class.

Rogues are really fun, and my backstab/persuasive rogue while still needing strategy to play (to get behind mobs etc.) pretty much ruins monsters. The only thing she really lacked was good backstab mace (never found one, probably isn't one) for armored opponents.

I am thinking about a Golf Clubbing Dwarf Warrior. The great thing about the Dwarfs in this game is that they don't look fucking ugly as hell. They actually look GOOD.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Wyvern
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:31 pm UTC
Location: New Hampshire, USA
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Wyvern » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I am thinking about a Golf Clubbing Dwarf Warrior. The great thing about the Dwarfs in this game is that they don't look fucking ugly as hell. They actually look GOOD.


About that. I do agree that they look good, better than most dwarves. It's just that there's something about them..... I just can't take them seriously. Something about them is just.... yeah. Makes me think of little kids. (the height, maybe? :lol: )

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:53 am UTC

Wyvern wrote:
Gelsamel wrote:I am thinking about a Golf Clubbing Dwarf Warrior. The great thing about the Dwarfs in this game is that they don't look fucking ugly as hell. They actually look GOOD.


About that. I do agree that they look good, better than most dwarves. It's just that there's something about them..... I just can't take them seriously. Something about them is just.... yeah. Makes me think of little kids. (the height, maybe? :lol: )


Maybe you're just too used to the ugly dwarves and the female dwarves who look like male drarwves.

The only one who made me thought of a kid was the one that actually was a kid, that Dagna one. (Is that the right name?) The rest came across as adults to me.

About the Orzammar section of the game:
Spoiler:
I didn't entirely understand the broodmother bit... is it that the broodmother makes gurlocks out of drawves or something? And the Paragon offered some dwarves up to the Broodmother to get past it without a fight or something?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby The Utilitarian » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:18 am UTC

So having a conversation with my girlfriend who's just made a dwarf character and she's saying that apparently the opening quest takes all your gear away from you when you get exiled or something... including the Blood Dragon DLC armor? Is there a way around that?
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

Voco
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm UTC
Location: A land of blind idealism.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Voco » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:52 am UTC

The Utilitarian wrote:So having a conversation with my girlfriend who's just made a dwarf character and she's saying that apparently the opening quest takes all your gear away from you when you get exiled or something... including the Blood Dragon DLC armor? Is there a way around that?


Reinstall the DLC so it comes back, maybe? Just a guess.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:08 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:
Spoiler:
Stopping the Researcher from announcing where the Ashes were. I was unable to get Alistair and the Queen hooked. I was unable to get the Desire Demon in the tower to stand down.


And yeah, despite what Alistair tells you about "It's your decision" it's fucking hard as fuck to NOT go to Redcliff -> (Circle Of Mages) -> Denerim -> Ashes because say, if you're a dwarf noble and want to check out Orzammar asap you get your ass kicked real hard. I only beat some of the later missions in Orzammar by the skin of my teeth.



Spoiler:
Does cunning actually affect your persuade skill? I had ~20 cunning at the end of my first playthrough with my mage (the 16 to max it and then the increases in the Fade which I didn't know about beforehand). Point is with that I never failed any persuade options. I went through pretty much ALL the dialogue with the desire demon and couldn't find a way to get her to leave or whatever so its possible there is no way there.

As for order, I found the mage tower the easiest.


I've gotten to the mage tower again and I'm finding it MUCH easier than last time. I have me (2h warrior), Shale (tank), Leliana (just for lockpicking, but as an archer) and Morrigan (CC/healing etc). I thought using less mages would make things harder but really its been much smoother. I think its the fact that my warrior and shale are by default picking up all the agro (due to heavier armor) and they can take more of a beating than my mages could. Crushing Prison (which I didn't use the first game) is also pretty ridiculously broken. Its CC AND it kills the target. I still dislike Leliana as an archer but Im going to replace her with Zevran once I can.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:16 pm UTC

According to the wiki Strength influences the intimidation side of coercion and cunning influences persuasion.

Funny enough I'd completely forgotten about having the coercion skill. I don't think I ever put any points into it.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:35 pm UTC

I put full points in persuasion. Because I like persuading people. And seeing it for almost everyone is fun :)

I'm back into the game! But I'm getting stuck at the the point...
Spoiler:
in the dwarven arena, when I'm doing the last proving against the squad, I keep getting my ass handed to me.


Sigh...

I just wish I could find more pots. I have like 5 left and it seems I've bought every form of healing in dwarfland, and they're all like "yo, why do you want to heal more?"
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:06 pm UTC

Since I did my first playthrough as a Dwarven commoner, I wanted to see the origin story for Dwarven noble

Spoilers for anyone that doesn't care about origin story spoilers
Spoiler:
As a male dwarven commoner my sister, Rica, was trying to find a noble to get in bed with to try and raise her status. Later when I returned to Orzammer, I found out she'd hooked up with Bhelen and had a child so she was now in a noble family.

As a dwarven noble (son of the king), I found Rica hanging out in Bhelden's room waiting for him to show up.

Just found it kind of amusing. I wonder how much different those would've played out if I'd played as a female.


Damn this game for wanting to make me play it umpteen million times just to experience everything.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:07 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I put full points in persuasion. Because I like persuading people. And seeing it for almost everyone is fun :)

I'm back into the game! But I'm getting stuck at the the point...
Spoiler:
in the dwarven arena, when I'm doing the last proving against the squad, I keep getting my ass handed to me.


Sigh...

I just wish I could find more pots. I have like 5 left and it seems I've bought every form of healing in dwarfland, and they're all like "yo, why do you want to heal more?"


If you have a character you don't use at all you can go level them up, put all their points in herbalism and make your own pots. I think they end up being very slightly cheaper, that and you get a ton of stupid elfroot or whatever its called all over the place (and you can buy it if need be).

Spoiler:
As for the squad I always found taking out the white names first and fast generally makes fights like that easier. Some sort of CC on the orange guy helps too (crushing Prison or forcefield). Worst case just leave, do a random encounter or two outside (or go do some random side-quests in Denerim) and level a bit more. Yes the enemies level with you but having more skills seems to swing the balance, generally, in your favor

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:25 pm UTC

Yeah... I just hate leaving a level to go and "level" to get more experience... I feel it breaks the flow.

I think I'll go and turn in some quests, or go do some other quests for now. Just makes me sigh is all...

And I actually have 2 guys with herbalism (because the mage starts with it, and so does Morrigan).

And I keep getting the feeling like there's some horrible time limit... :\
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:11 pm UTC

I never found myself needing to go and level anywhere. It all seemed to flow pretty well. Also, by the end of the game I had a ridiculous number of health potions/poultices/whatever, between making them with Morrigan and looting everything that wasn't nailed down (and ripping up anything that was).
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm UTC

I'm always running out of pots. but I have no other healer.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:57 pm UTC

I didn't have a healer until pretty late in the game when I unlocked Spirit Healer and gave Morrigan mass heal or whatever it's called.

Then, during the end-game sequence
Spoiler:
Morrigan ran off because I didn't agree to her spirit-transfer-love-child idea, so I switched to Wynne which worked out pretty well. A couple good damaging spell and all the spirit healer skills were pretty useful.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:19 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:I'm always running out of pots. but I have no other healer.


Could be your composition. Some characters just seem much weaker than others (archers are notably quite bad until they have a ton of skills like scattershot and the crit ones)

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Jessica » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:25 pm UTC

Probably. I'm using the bard, morrigan and Alistair.

And what's her name the bard whom I'm forgetting right now, is REALLY bad.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

YourReality
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby YourReality » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:55 pm UTC

Voco wrote:
The Utilitarian wrote:So having a conversation with my girlfriend who's just made a dwarf character and she's saying that apparently the opening quest takes all your gear away from you when you get exiled or something... including the Blood Dragon DLC armor? Is there a way around that?


Reinstall the DLC so it comes back, maybe? Just a guess.


No dice, unfortunately. Has anyone else played through the dwarf noble opening? Did this happen for you? It seems to be associated with what happens in the opening.

Spoiler:
It seems that you're inevitably convicted of killing your brother without a trial and so you get exiled to kill darkspawn and find the Grey Wardens if you can. When you get tossed in the jail cell to await the trial that never comes all your gear gets taken (including the DLC). When you get brought out to be sentenced there is no opportunity to grab your gear back from anywhere, there is just some cut scene and then you're in the tunnel and shit out of luck. The dwarf commoner also gets thrown in jail but there is an opportunity to get out and grab your stuff from a chest before you leave the jail. I'm totally stumped on this. It seems like a pretty big dick move to take the DLC away from you for the rest of the game because you chose to play one of the plots they give you to choose from. On the other hand, though, I can't find a way around this for the life of me. It doesn't change the situation if I do nice things for people before getting sent out into the tunnel, I'm not allowed to try to break out of jail because there is nothing interactable in the cell. I dunno guys, I'm stuck.


Thoughts?

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:05 pm UTC

No dice, unfortunately. Has anyone else played through the dwarf noble opening? Did this happen for you? It seems to be associated with what happens in the opening.

Spoiler:
It seems that you're inevitably convicted of killing your brother without a trial and so you get exiled to kill darkspawn and find the Grey Wardens if you can. When you get tossed in the jail cell to await the trial that never comes all your gear gets taken (including the DLC). When you get brought out to be sentenced there is no opportunity to grab your gear back from anywhere, there is just some cut scene and then you're in the tunnel and shit out of luck. The dwarf commoner also gets thrown in jail but there is an opportunity to get out and grab your stuff from a chest before you leave the jail. I'm totally stumped on this. It seems like a pretty big dick move to take the DLC away from you for the rest of the game because you chose to play one of the plots they give you to choose from. On the other hand, though, I can't find a way around this for the life of me. It doesn't change the situation if I do nice things for people before getting sent out into the tunnel, I'm not allowed to try to break out of jail because there is nothing interactable in the cell. I dunno guys, I'm stuck.


Thoughts?
I'm currently going through the dwarven noble origin, but I haven't gotten that far, yet. As for the commoner opening
Spoiler:
Yea, you get a chance to get your stuff back, but you still lose the armor, I think. I didn't even notice it at first, because I'd put it out of my mind since the strength requirement is so high. Then when I was paying attention I realized it wasn't there. I thought maybe there was a chance I got button happy and sold it by accident, but I don't think so.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

YourReality
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:15 am UTC

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby YourReality » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:32 pm UTC

Huh, interesting. Well, lemme know how the noble opening goes for you in any case

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby BlackSails » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:35 pm UTC

Ryom wrote:Doors open in combat mode... also there is a mod that creates a 'potion of respecialization' which allows you to redistribute your upgrade points all over. I did this as well because I threw points into combat tactics on my main not realizing fully what it did and how the game actually worked at the very beginning (and it sounded important!). It also allows you to experiment with different spells and tactics just to see what suits your play style. I'm having fun trying out different styles instead of being locked into what I chose to experiment with at first.


I have the xbox version, so no mods. And I really cannot get doors to open in combat mode. I also cant loot bodies while in combat either.

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:59 am UTC

Any mage in your group should have at least the heal/regeneration(hp) spells and the Mind Blast -> Force Field -> Prison etc. series of spells, they're really really really useful/op.

As for potions, I buy EVERY bit of elfroot I can get my hands on. I also always buy the lowest level potions/injury kits when they're in shop. I find the higher potions were way way way too expensive to even bother making/buying so I usually always have like 50-100 of the little base potions. Along with Heal spell+ injury kits I don't really ever wipeout.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Oh great, I found a bug.

If I accept Harrowmont's quest to go to the deep roads, I crash any time a approach the guards near the entrance to the deep roads. I loaded a save prior to accepting the quest, and I can approach fine, but afterward it crashes a bit after the bottom of the stairs when I start to approach the guards. I'm guessing a cutscene (or combat?) starts and something goes horribly wrong. I e-mailed support, but I guess I could start another playthrough in the meantime... :|

User avatar
Gelsamel
Lame and emo
Posts: 8237
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:49 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Gelsamel » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:37 am UTC

There is a bug early on in Human Noble that means you can't open the door to your father.. It just never unlocks. You have to reload earlier or start again. It was kind of annoying.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Xeio » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:23 am UTC

OK... wtf...

I wandered around, got back the book for the librarian, and killed a few of the non-Harrowmont fanatics, then decided to try again. It worked, the... drunk/crazy dwarf showed up (though, is his text supposed to cut in and out like that...? I assume yes, but it seemed weird anyway).

...

I guess I can't complain too much that it... works...

Voco
Posts: 285
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:29 pm UTC
Location: A land of blind idealism.

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Voco » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:39 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:There is a bug early on in Human Noble that means you can't open the door to your father.. It just never unlocks. You have to reload earlier or start again. It was kind of annoying.


Yeah, I spent the better part of an hour searching for another way around that...

User avatar
pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man
Posts: 5100
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:30 pm UTC
Location: Kansas City
Contact:

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby pseudoidiot » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 pm UTC

The only bug I've encountered so far on the 360 (I've only done the dwarven commoner & noble origins & beat it with the commoner) was in the Brecilian (or whatever) Forest.

Spoiler if you haven't been through that part of the game:
Spoiler:
In the middle-ish part of the western forest map was a group of werewolves to kill. Once I'd defeated all of them one of them was still upright, but unselectable and started walking away and there was no way I could select it and my party didn't see anything as an enemy because everyone put their weapons away -- also no red dot on the map. I decided to follow the thing and he eventually just stopped and continued standing there. Every time I went back to that area he was still just standing there, hanging out not interacting in any way.


Even though I told myself that I'd only do the dwarven noble story just so I could see what happens...
Spoiler:
Now I want to get at least far enough to come back to Orzammar and get my revenge on Bhelen for setting me up.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

User avatar
Vaniver
Posts: 9422
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:12 am UTC

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Vaniver » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:56 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I thought the game was too short and...
*blink blink*

Anyway,
Spoiler:
Yes, siding with Branka gets you golems in the final battle. I don't know what siding with Carridan gets you yet. If you side with Branka, you also have the dialogue option to volunteer Oghren to be turned into a golem- I don't know if they go through with that, though (and it might be necessary to get the 'recruited all party members' achievement).


Spoiler:
I didn't entirely understand the broodmother bit... is it that the broodmother makes gurlocks out of drawves or something? And the Paragon offered some dwarves up to the Broodmother to get past it without a fight or something?
My understanding is that Branka decided to abandon her house to the Darkspawn, essentially, using them as cannon fodder to just run through to the Anvil of the Void, not caring that the women would turn into broodmothers (who just spit out gurlocks) and the men would be horribly killed.


Spoiler:
The DLC/dwarven noble thing bothers me immensely too, particularly since that's the only piece of the armor you can't buy as many as you want of (good old restocking stores). It might be there somewhere when you go back to Orzammar, but I doubt it.



So, I'm finding my leveling strategy is mostly to just put lots and lots of points into whatever the prime stat is, and ignore the rest. This lets you use pretty much any item you come across (the highest stat requirements are like 50, which you can generally get to by level 10- you can wear the dragon blood plate by level 6 if you put everything into strength), but seems like it might cripple you in other ways- with a low willpower, I tend to find my people running out of steam about halfway through fights, which seems like it's suboptimal (as the boost in spellpower doesn't appear to compensate for attacking with the staff instead of casting spells), but there are other ways to keep yourself fighting (potions, use of spellbloom, rejuvenate, etc.).

Shale question:
Spoiler:
So, when you read Wilhelm's book, he mentions experiments involving the demon, Shale, and possession. While it's possible to save Amalia normally (talk to the cat, tell it you'll think about it, solve the puzzle, do the right dialogue tree, and Amalia runs off and the demon attacks you by itself), does anyone know what happens when you bring Shale into the room? There seem to be two ways to get Shale before killing the demon, and it's either intimidating Matthias into giving you the right phrase before heading down, or heading down, finding the demon, coming back to Matthias and persuading him that he should give up on his daughter. I wasn't able to do either (I had a 50 strength, coercion 2 intimidator; I'm not sure what you need to make him give you the phrase).

My guess is that you have the option to put the demon in Shale, which would be interesting, but also really aggravating that they make you do most of the game and then go visit Honnleath.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Chen
Posts: 5580
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Dragon Age: Origins

Postby Chen » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:06 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:Shale question:
Spoiler:
So, when you read Wilhelm's book, he mentions experiments involving the demon, Shale, and possession. While it's possible to save Amalia normally (talk to the cat, tell it you'll think about it, solve the puzzle, do the right dialogue tree, and Amalia runs off and the demon attacks you by itself), does anyone know what happens when you bring Shale into the room? There seem to be two ways to get Shale before killing the demon, and it's either intimidating Matthias into giving you the right phrase before heading down, or heading down, finding the demon, coming back to Matthias and persuading him that he should give up on his daughter. I wasn't able to do either (I had a 50 strength, coercion 2 intimidator; I'm not sure what you need to make him give you the phrase).

My guess is that you have the option to put the demon in Shale, which would be interesting, but also really aggravating that they make you do most of the game and then go visit Honnleath.


Spoiler:
With rank 4 coercion and around 30ish strength I still couldn't intimidate him into giving me the phrase for Shale. What do you mean by "most of the game" before getting to Honnleath? I went straight there after finishing Lothering so I could get Shale ASAP.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests