Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby BlackSails » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:39 pm UTC

Rizzo wrote:The care package glitch is quite annoying and I hope that they fix it soon. Way too much good killstreaks without earning them.

Also, a few weeks ago I was playing on Skidrow with two friends. As soon as the game started everyone started running really fast. No, it was not lag, but instead everyone seemed to be running on ice. Shots were fired normally, but if you tried to stop walking/running, you would just slid into a wall. After that, we went to Wasteland where the same thing happened again. We backed out of the lobby and since then, I have not seen this happen again. Has this ever happened to anyone else? (Oh, and this was for 360, by the way.)


Yeah, that has happened to me once or twice.

Hit3k
Posts: 1156
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:12 am UTC
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Hit3k » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:36 am UTC

Rizzo wrote:The care package glitch is quite annoying and I hope that they fix it soon. Way too much good killstreaks without earning them.

Also, a few weeks ago I was playing on Skidrow with two friends. As soon as the game started everyone started running really fast. No, it was not lag, but instead everyone seemed to be running on ice. Shots were fired normally, but if you tried to stop walking/running, you would just slid into a wall. After that, we went to Wasteland where the same thing happened again. We backed out of the lobby and since then, I have not seen this happen again. Has this ever happened to anyone else? (Oh, and this was for 360, by the way.)


It's most likely the host thats lagging. This has happened to me a few times (Yay for Australian Internet -.-).

On a side note: I fucking hate campers; they ruin the game for everyone. They're dragging me down with them and its ridiculous that I have to camp to get any kills.
Sungura wrote:My mom made me watch a star wars. Two of them , actually. The Death Star one and the one where the dude ends up in the swamp with the weird guy who talks funny.

User avatar
Axman
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:51 pm UTC
Location: Denver, Colorado

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Axman » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:02 pm UTC

I just got fed up with this game. Uninstalled. Good multiplayer game mechanics saddled with terrible, just... terrible. I shouldn't have to put up with this peer to peer shit to play a shooter that looks good, and thanks to Battlefield, I don't have to.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby The Utilitarian » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:57 am UTC

Had my first run in with cheaters a few nights ago, someone using some kind of aimbot. The killcam really sold it when I watched his red-dot sit snap INSTANTLY to two ally's heads and then to my head perfectly.

Course, the fact that ALL his kills were headshots was a little damning to start with.
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
CombustibleLemons
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:58 am UTC
Location: In Your computer. go on check.

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby CombustibleLemons » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:29 am UTC

I got a nuke today for the first time. it was quite anti climatic because i was expecting the announcer to kill himself based of the ways he responds to other kill streaks being called in. oh and my team won 96 us-193 them.
You, sir, name? wrote:Just make sure to consistently whack it in the ass, as that's one end it does not shoot fire out of. Be careless with the flame-magic and it may just shoot fire out both ends.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:14 am UTC

Hit3k wrote:It's most likely the host thats lagging. This has happened to me a few times (Yay for Australian Internet -.-).

On a side note: I fucking hate campers; they ruin the game for everyone. They're dragging me down with them and its ridiculous that I have to camp to get any kills.


So does the game encourage campers, or is it run-and-gun? Some people complain that it's too much shooting, not enough thinking, and other people complain that it's too much thinking, not enough shooting. Which one is it?

nowfocus
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby nowfocus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:So does the game encourage campers, or is it run-and-gun? Some people complain that it's too much shooting, not enough thinking, and other people complain that it's too much thinking, not enough shooting. Which one is it?


The game definitely encourages campers. This is due to the following changes
- The maps are more complex, making for more hiding spots, and far more angles to be hit by if your moving
- Grenades are far less damaging, which removes one of the best ways to get rid of campers
- The airsupport changes combined to give far fewer UAVs, since everyone picks something else. This means you can't see campers on your map
- The guns are generally more damaging, giving you less time to get back to cover if your hit
- Killstreak rewards give far greater rewards for staying alive
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby ProZac » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

The game discourages camping:
- Due to killcams, it's impossible to not know how you died (ie. where the camper is)
- No respawn timers, so (on most maps) the time between when you killed that person and he can get back to you is about 4-5 seconds, less on smaller maps.
- Maps are designed so there isn't ever one path to a point (iirc), so there's always an area you can move through without being 'camped'

Really, if you're playing smart, you should never die to a camper more than once or twice. Unless you're playing Hardcore. If you're on HC, all this goes out the window (which is part of the reason HC is terrible in this game).

On another note, I had 3 consecutive runs this weekend going 36-6, 32-2, and 29-4, which was promptly followed by a "quit hacking" insult. Yessss... that makes 3 times I've been 'mistaken' for a hacker.

nowfocus
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby nowfocus » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:46 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:The game discourages camping:
- Due to killcams, it's impossible to not know how you died (ie. where the camper is)
- No respawn timers, so (on most maps) the time between when you killed that person and he can get back to you is about 4-5 seconds, less on smaller maps.
- Maps are designed so there isn't ever one path to a point (iirc), so there's always an area you can move through without being 'camped'


All of which was in the previous game. Any half decent camper will move slightly once they kill you from their spot. Even with all of this, in some cases there just isn't another good way to get to the person, because its not just a one on one.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Chen
Posts: 5577
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:53 pm UTC
Location: Montreal

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Chen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:48 pm UTC

nowfocus wrote:All of which was in the previous game. Any half decent camper will move slightly once they kill you from their spot. Even with all of this, in some cases there just isn't another good way to get to the person, because its not just a one on one.


Well if they have teammates protecting their position I find it hard to designate it in camping in the standard frowned upon way. Thats just strategic play then.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby BlackSails » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:40 pm UTC

Grab a riot shield and a teammate.

nowfocus
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby nowfocus » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:48 am UTC

I think my point is clear: this game encourages camping far more than the previous one.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Thurid
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 pm UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Thurid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:03 am UTC

I rarely experience any problems or lag on my 360 but usually I'm the host or some of my friends and I play mostly private matches so I don't know.

On an unrelated note I won a 6-1 in Afghan on Hardcore Search recently, so I'm feelin' pretty gnarly....and I didn't use a kilstreak reward which is why I'm proud of myself haha :mrgreen:
You put the 'ass' in mass murder.

User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Unless you're playing Hardcore. If you're on HC, all this goes out the window (which is part of the reason HC is terrible in this game).


I am back to MW2 after a disappointed encounter with Star Trek Online (don't play that game), but HC is the only way to play.

Radar and kill cams... go play a space shooter game where stuff like that actually exists.
I like MW2 because its based on MODERN warfare, they average soldier doesn't have radar in his visor, he has his eyes and ears to find the enemy.

I hate campers more than anyone, but they are in fact a part of real war. I would rather die to some clever camper 10 times in a row than be sniped be a person who had the skill and intelligence to find and set up in a perfect spot, than use some unrealistic 'kill cam' garbage to ruin his effort.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

yeah, I like Hardcore for that reason too. I also like that kids and assholes never play hardcore. I can use a mic to actually talk about gameplay instead of to listen in on people's conversations.

User avatar
Kag
Posts: 1214
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Kag » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
ProZac wrote:Unless you're playing Hardcore. If you're on HC, all this goes out the window (which is part of the reason HC is terrible in this game).


I am back to MW2 after a disappointed encounter with Star Trek Online (don't play that game), but HC is the only way to play.

Radar and kill cams... go play a space shooter game where stuff like that actually exists.
I like MW2 because its based on MODERN warfare, they average soldier doesn't have radar in his visor, he has his eyes and ears to find the enemy.

I hate campers more than anyone, but they are in fact a part of real war. I would rather die to some clever camper 10 times in a row than be sniped be a person who had the skill and intelligence to find and set up in a perfect spot, than use some unrealistic 'kill cam' garbage to ruin his effort.


This bears repeating:
Jeff Gerstmann wrote:Dude, don't be crazy. Call of Duty is not realistic.


Ideally, the use of the kill cam is that it shows you how you died so you can figure out what you did wrong and learn something. Unfortunately, it's not particularly well designed for this purpose.

That said, Hardcore is still great because having to wait a few seconds to respawn changes the dynamic of the game in some fun ways.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby ProZac » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:10 pm UTC

Yeah, I actually like the no hud Hardcore. I like the increased bullet damage. I like the absence of killcams. I REALLY like the respawn timer. I friggin HATE friendly fire. In the first MW, I only played HC, but I only did on servers with FF off. Not an option now, so I won't go near it. I play in such a way that puts me frequently 'behind enemy lines' which gets me shot at by teammates not paying attention alot. I will have none of that.

User avatar
Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:31 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Yeah, I actually like the no hud Hardcore. I like the increased bullet damage. I like the absence of killcams. I REALLY like the respawn timer. I friggin HATE friendly fire. In the first MW, I only played HC, but I only did on servers with FF off. Not an option now, so I won't go near it. I play in such a way that puts me frequently 'behind enemy lines' which gets me shot at by teammates not paying attention alot. I will have none of that.


The only thing I play now is HC headquarters Ricochet.

No FF, if you shoot a friendly you die.

And HQ means that campers end up losing. You can win by doing the objective and campers will have lower scores than people that capture.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby emceng » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm UTC

I haven't played HC much for this version. I played it some on the last game, but haven't gotten into it this time around.

One of my major complaints is how much it encourages camping. I was in a TDM match once and you could not move in certain areas because of guys having it sighted in. There was one guy using the Desert Eagle. He would one shot you from wherever the fuck he was. There was no chance for retaliation, no chance to even find out where he was hiding. You take a step, and then get to respawn. It is games like that that make me raegquaat.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Thurid
Posts: 47
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:06 pm UTC
Location: Maryland

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Thurid » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 pm UTC

Hardcore is definitely the only way to go....very few 10 year old ass holes, no kill cam, no HUD and increased damage are awesome. I can't speak on the respawn timer though since I only play Search....I like the whole no respawn idea.
You put the 'ass' in mass murder.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I haven't played HC much for this version. I played it some on the last game, but haven't gotten into it this time around.

One of my major complaints is how much it encourages camping. I was in a TDM match once and you could not move in certain areas because of guys having it sighted in. There was one guy using the Desert Eagle. He would one shot you from wherever the fuck he was. There was no chance for retaliation, no chance to even find out where he was hiding. You take a step, and then get to respawn. It is games like that that make me raegquaat.


yeah, hardcore's definitely not for everyone. I usually only play hardcore when I don't have any friends online. However, before you decide that you don't like it, I'd recommend trying different setups. certain perks and weapons are a whole lot better in hardcore than they are in normal matches. Stopping Power, Steady Aim, and Silencers aren't nearly as useful in hardcore for example. Situation Report is also a whole lot more useful than in normal games, as is the FAL and the UAV.

PS: team death match match?

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby BlackSails » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
PS: team death match match?


It makes sense. TDM is the game type. So if you are plaing TDM you are in a TDM match.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby emceng » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

I have tried more hardcore, but it still annoys me - mainly the camping. I started out 6-2 on the backalley map(don't recall the name). Then the camping started. I move at all, and some ass is hiding in a corner with the hallway sighted, and then displaces. You take two steps out of your spawn building, and some ass is hiding in an alcove in cover and drops you. I like the idea of being careful and using your head more. I like the idea of more tactical play, friendly fire, and fewer killstreaks. I do not like the camperfest that is what actually happens. You should not be punished for moving.

I also dropped out of one HC TDM game last night. I had 4 deaths. Two were from predators, and one was from a noob tube less than 2 seconds after I respawned. F that.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Xeio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:45 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I have tried more hardcore, but it still annoys me - mainly the camping. I started out 6-2 on the backalley map(don't recall the name). Then the camping started. I move at all, and some ass is hiding in a corner with the hallway sighted, and then displaces. You take two steps out of your spawn building, and some ass is hiding in an alcove in cover and drops you. I like the idea of being careful and using your head more. I like the idea of more tactical play, friendly fire, and fewer killstreaks. I do not like the camperfest that is what actually happens. You should not be punished for moving.

I also dropped out of one HC TDM game last night. I had 4 deaths. Two were from predators, and one was from a noob tube less than 2 seconds after I respawned. F that.
Heartbeat sensor? Pretty useful in hardcore against campers.

User avatar
The Utilitarian
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am UTC
Location: British Columbia, Canada

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby The Utilitarian » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
emceng wrote:I have tried more hardcore, but it still annoys me - mainly the camping. I started out 6-2 on the backalley map(don't recall the name). Then the camping started. I move at all, and some ass is hiding in a corner with the hallway sighted, and then displaces. You take two steps out of your spawn building, and some ass is hiding in an alcove in cover and drops you. I like the idea of being careful and using your head more. I like the idea of more tactical play, friendly fire, and fewer killstreaks. I do not like the camperfest that is what actually happens. You should not be punished for moving.

I also dropped out of one HC TDM game last night. I had 4 deaths. Two were from predators, and one was from a noob tube less than 2 seconds after I respawned. F that.
Heartbeat sensor? Pretty useful in hardcore against campers.

Not if they're using NinjaPro/ColdbloodedPro
Watch your back, shoot straight, conserve ammo, and never, EVER cut a deal with a dragon.
Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:11 am UTC

Jeff Gerstmann wrote:Dude, don't be crazy. Call of Duty is not realistic.


could I get the full context of that quote? I really want to use it.

I just think the radar's not really helpful to the rest of the game. I like the little map when you hit start, because it helped me get around when I was getting to know the surroundings, but I don't really get the point of having a little map on your HUD. getting RADAR from a UAV is one thing, but having it always up just seems kinda silly.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:28 am UTC

emceng wrote:I have tried more hardcore, but it still annoys me - mainly the camping. I started out 6-2 on the backalley map(don't recall the name). Then the camping started. I move at all, and some ass is hiding in a corner with the hallway sighted, and then displaces. You take two steps out of your spawn building, and some ass is hiding in an alcove in cover and drops you. I like the idea of being careful and using your head more. I like the idea of more tactical play, friendly fire, and fewer killstreaks. I do not like the camperfest that is what actually happens. You should not be punished for moving.

I also dropped out of one HC TDM game last night. I had 4 deaths. Two were from predators, and one was from a noob tube less than 2 seconds after I respawned. F that.


It took me a couple games to get used to hardcore. Like i've said before, it's really slow. I really don't like playing it most of the time because it's boring: when I want slow tactical gameplay, I play chess. But by your description it looks like you're moving too fast. If people truly were 'camping', then the usual techniques should work fine for dealing with them: grenades and smoke.

predator missiles, tubes, and crappy spawns aren't any less rampant in regular gamemodes, so I don't know why you brought those up.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:04 pm UTC

Hit3k wrote:It's most likely the host thats lagging. This has happened to me a few times (Yay for Australian Internet -.-).

On a side note: I fucking hate campers; they ruin the game for everyone. They're dragging me down with them and its ridiculous that I have to camp to get any kills.


That's one of the reasons I left CS:S alone and went onto Team Fortress 2. Totally different game I know, but you cannot sit still too long in it.
Oh, were you expecting a commentary on the game the thread is about? I thought I'd plug a better game instead... :P
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:16 pm UTC

really? Team Fortress is better than MW2? I thought it just came down to personal preference. Is there a metric for how good a game is? How well did MW2 score on this metric?

User avatar
Jar'O'Jam
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:33 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:51 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:really? Team Fortress is better than MW2? I thought it just came down to personal preference. Is there a metric for how good a game is? How well did MW2 score on this metric?

Will Metascore do ? Modern Warfare 2 ( 86 ) vs Team Fortress 2 ( 92 )
Image
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Technical Ben » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:50 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:really? Team Fortress is better than MW2? I thought it just came down to personal preference. Is there a metric for how good a game is? How well did MW2 score on this metric?


Sorry, I did not mean it like that. Only in the "no camping" metric. MW2 is 100 out of 100 in the hype metric though. (Whether justified or not, it is really hyped)
Yes it's personal preference. I played the first few COD back when it was all WW1/2. I've skipped the more recent versions. No reason in particular. Just personal preference.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:42 pm UTC

Jar'O'Jam wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:really? Team Fortress is better than MW2? I thought it just came down to personal preference. Is there a metric for how good a game is? How well did MW2 score on this metric?

Will Metascore do ? Modern Warfare 2 ( 86 ) vs Team Fortress 2 ( 92 )


to be fair, Modern Warfare is really an xbox game above all else.

Here's my theory about shooters: every game is about shooting people, but they all differ in what is valuable to the player. Halo's about the weapons, Team Fortress is about interaction between players, and Modern Warfare 2 is about the maps themselves.

In Halo, the player with the best weapon wins. You do well if you manage to get your hands on the sniper rifle or rocket launcher, so gameplay revolves around getting the good weapons for you and your teammates. When people complain about the game, they complain about the douchebag with the sword.
In Team Fortress, the player with the best teamwork wins. You do well if you manage to organize an ubercharge or a buff-banner, so gameplay revolves around communicating with the other guys on your team. When people complain about the game, they complain about the douchebag playing spy/sniper and not talking on the mic.
In Modern Warfare 2, the player with the best location wins. You do well if you manage to hold down the mansion or embassy, so gameplay revolves around getting yourself into the better camping spot and protecting your weak spots. When people complain about the game, they complain about the douchebag that camps the same spot the entire game, or the douchebag that never stops to camp at all (marathon/commando).

personally, I'd enjoy TF2 much more if I could play it on the xbox. The PC version is just too damn fast and twitchy.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:24 pm UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:
personally, I'd enjoy TF2 much more if I could play it on the xbox. The PC version is just too damn fast and twitchy.


You can. :)
It's just that the Xbox version has no updates, so your stuck with a very old game, with no balancing fixes/tweaks. Where as the PC version has fixes, tweaks and a whole new set of weapons and maps.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:12 am UTC
Location: C:\Users\Xeio\
Contact:

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:24 am UTC

KrazyerKate wrote:personally, I'd enjoy TF2 much more if I could play it on the xbox. The PC version is just too damn fast and twitchy.
No, you don't. I have have Orange Box for the 360, TF2 is built to be a PC game, not to mention that as Ben said, there are no class updates. No community maps (sure, it has a few good maps, but community maps make the game for payload), no player-cap changes (16 max, so not even one of each class), no dedicated servers (not as important, but in 32 player games helps). Every other game in the Orange Box was excellent on the console, but I would suggest skipping TF2 altogether if that's the only way to play it.

Um... [/off topic rant]

User avatar
KrazyerKate
Posts: 431
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:04 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby KrazyerKate » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:
KrazyerKate wrote:personally, I'd enjoy TF2 much more if I could play it on the xbox. The PC version is just too damn fast and twitchy.
No, you don't. I have have Orange Box for the 360, TF2 is built to be a PC game, not to mention that as Ben said, there are no class updates. No community maps (sure, it has a few good maps, but community maps make the game for payload), no player-cap changes (16 max, so not even one of each class), no dedicated servers (not as important, but in 32 player games helps). Every other game in the Orange Box was excellent on the console, but I would suggest skipping TF2 altogether if that's the only way to play it.

Um... [/off topic rant]


yeah, i own the orange box for the xbox. you forgot to mention the strange lack of microphone-using players, and the high percentage of 12-year-olds. I should have said that I would play it if it were up to date. The xbox version is worthless at the moment, and when (if) they release the same updates that they've been giving the PC version, I'm fairly certain that I'd enjoy it.

About CoD, I've been wondering how the prestige levels effect the matchmaking. If I prestige up, do I get to play against tougher opponents?

User avatar
Keldaran
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm UTC
Location: Canadiana

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Keldaran » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:30 pm UTC

Well i know that on the PC version the match making really isn't matchmaking it's who the hell has the best connection to you in the play list.

User avatar
BlackSails
Posts: 5315
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:48 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby BlackSails » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:00 am UTC

Matchmaking works on level, not prestige, at least as far as I know.

General_Norris
Posts: 1399
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 pm UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby General_Norris » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Keldaran wrote:Well i know that on the PC version the match making really isn't matchmaking it's who the hell has the best connection to you in the play list.


As long as you are in the Americas or in Europe you will never run out of opponents because of your connection.

Meh, playing TF2 on a console removes half of the depth of the game. No Airshots, no stairstabs, no ricocheting with the Demoman, no Circle-strafing sentries, no headshots on Scouts and Medics, etc etc. It would feel life an entire nerf to every class.

nowfocus
Posts: 948
Joined: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:34 am UTC

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby nowfocus » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:45 pm UTC

I actually found it pretty fun on the console, and I would still enjoy it even though I play on PC. The only issue is maps, the only one I really like is gold rush there.

BTW - anyone see the new map pack? Apparently its 15 dollars for 5 maps - two of which are from the original modern warfare. Pretty massive ripoff.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

User avatar
Keldaran
Posts: 121
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:46 pm UTC
Location: Canadiana

Re: Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 2 - No Dedicated MP Servers

Postby Keldaran » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:33 pm UTC

Yay pc we better be getting them for free and not steam distroed


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests