Xbox 360 controller precision

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Xbox 360 controller precision

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:48 am UTC

Axman wrote:Alright. You put a lot of miles on a mouse. Over time, they get quirks, and those are actually just little stress fractures and other flaws that you beat into them, and I don't just mean the body of the mouse. The feet are ablative and wear away, the plastic used to make the buttons go click gets rickety, and the wheel gets greasy and inaccurate.

Or does it not matter. A pen's a pen, a mouse is a mouse, and they both smell like spit after a week, anyway...

HA! I just turned this into money.

Hm. Interesting. Also.. uh.. you're welcome?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dr. Willpower

Postby Dr. Willpower » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:55 am UTC

I don't know, I think it could be the age of your controller. I've used several N64, and Xbox controllers to death. When they're old and worn out, the stick stops returning to the center. On the N64 the joystick just got less and less sensitive until my characters wouldn't move anymore. The 360 controller I have been using for a while now drifts out of the dead zone occasionally (I have the threshold set at 16% on my PC, and that catches pretty much all of the normal drifting).

It could be possible this has something to do with it.
Hat me, bro

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:44 am UTC

I actually really like the 360 controller, speaking as somebody who doesn't even own one. The joysticks seem to take a lot more of a beating than that of a Gamecube's (That's not saying much though, and Melee/Brawl+ kills them.). However, I play a lot of Smash64 on my 360 controller and it's holding up. I also like the amount/placement of buttons. I was critical of losing the Black/White buttons from the original Xbox controller, but I actually prefer the double-bumpers quite a bit.

But yeah, all controllers die. My fourth Gamecube controller is starting to really loosen from Smash.. It's a shame. Wish there was a decent way to tighten them back up.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:47 am UTC

Axman wrote:Using cheap input devices is like using bulk Bic ballpoints.

But I like my Bic ballpoint pens!

Surgery

Postby Surgery » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:36 pm UTC

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:04 am UTC

Yay! Thread necro!

I've been experimenting with consoles. And as an old PC player, I constantly find myself attempting to actually aim at what I want to shoot at. Instead of pointing in the correct general direction, and allowing the game to compensate for my total lack of pixel-precision. I really wish there was a way to make the dead zone smaller. It makes for terrible hysteresis in aiming.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:15 am UTC

I've been wondering how easy it would be to adapt Force Sensing joystick technology to console controllers. (Force sensing joysticks are used on modern fighter jets, rather than moving like an analog stick or traditional joystick, a force sensing joystick simply converts the force you apply to it to a digital output. Force sensing joysticks are much more precise, have no dead-zone and are more durable due to having no moving parts) I know there is at least one flight sim joystick set-up that uses force-sensing, but it is $400 and includes a full hotas arrangement and instrument panel thingy.

Thinking about it, I would be okay with paying a premium (say, $100-$150) for a force-sensing xbox controller, considering how much more durable and precise it would be.

Really, for PC gaming, if you don't like Kb/M controls, a good flight-sim HOTAS (hands-on throttle and stick) arrangement might be worth considering, I used to use an old sidewinder joystick for FPS gaming back in the day, and many games still support the joystick. Unlike control-pads, a HOTAS set-up can have ridiculous amounts of buttons, and would be more comfortable than kb/m, you'll pay more than for a control-pad, but likely about the same as for a high-end gaming keyboard and mouse. (though higher end HOTAS's can be pretty expensive, like $400 for a force sensing stick)

Personally, I've found the microsoft sidewinder mouse to be pretty good though, the vertical thumb buttons are really lightyears better than conventional horizontal thumb buttons, and for me, is worth the extra cost. though I could also tell a difference when I was bored and fiddled with the adjustable weights and skids, not much of a difference, but it definitely feels more comfortable now that I've adjusted everything.

Edit: Link to a review of the force sensing flight sim joystick, the link int he article to the product page is broken, but a little googling indicates the entire set-up can be had for around $300 now.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

drkfalco

Postby drkfalco » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:10 am UTC

Ok to say the truth i really like more the original xbox60 controller. never had tried a modded controller, but im really used to the original ones so i think i would not be able to use a modded cntrllr..

Return to “Gaming”