Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

F117Landers

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby F117Landers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:20 am UTC

Hey all, is there a thread specific for the Stargate SG1 tabletop? If not, does anyone have experience with it? (Looking to see if it's worth sinking the money to pick up the main book).

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:22 pm UTC

Anyway, chatting about 5e. Thoughts regarding the Sword Coast book that just came out? It's been *super* popular, to the point where I almost ran out since friday, but I'm not sure how much of that is just players starved for any content other than adventures. Anyone get a chance to review and comment?

A year late, here you go. I really like the additions to the rules, but I don't like having to wade through an ocean of FR lore to find it. I have never gotten interested in the FR as a setting and as Gob says, "I make up my own patter."

My $0.02: if you're going to give my a sourcebook, give me a sourcebook, with big fold-out maps and lots of adventure hooks and thousands of years of fake history. Give me Eberron or Lankhmar or the old Greyhawk boxed set. Background on one small region of a world…maybe if I already knew and loved it. But nothing about FR sticks in my mind. Maybe a fan of that setting can weigh in.

From a rules perspective, there are a lot of subtle touches. Variant half-elves can snag a cantrip or weapon proficiencies or Fleet of Foot. Winged Tieflings are now a thing (they could also be serviceable winged elves.) Bladesinger & weapon cantrips spice up your wizard options (like they need it!) Battleragers are back, although mechanistically they're rather meh.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."
-- Alan Watts, "The Way of Zen"

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

Note that Sword Coast's new Sorcerer subclasses are committing a sin that wotc's since stayed away from - they add more spells to the Sorcerer's Spells Known list. This has proven to be too powerful of a benefit, and so they don't do it any more.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 am UTC

Xanthir wrote:Note that Sword Coast's new Sorcerer subclasses are committing a sin that wotc's since stayed away from - they add more spells to the Sorcerer's Spells Known list. This has proven to be too powerful of a benefit, and so they don't do it any more.

Hmmm, maybe you're think of something else? The only new sorcerer path in Sword Coast is Storm, and they don't get any bonus spells.
"Reasonable – that is, human – men will always be capable of compromise, but men who have dehumanized themselves by becoming the blind worshipers of an idea or an ideal are fanatics whose devotion to abstractions makes them the enemies of life."

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

I might be; I know that Mearls said *some* early supplement had Sorc subclasses that added bonus spells, and those were a mistake they weren't repeating.

EMTP

Postby EMTP » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:18 pm UTC

Xanthir wrote:I might be; I know that Mearls said *some* early supplement had Sorc subclasses that added bonus spells, and those were a mistake they weren't repeating.

I think you're thinking of Unearthed Arcana, the online column where they release playtest materials. One of their VERY early efforts was a ludicrously overpowered offering called the "Favored Soul." This was a sorcerer path that not only granted 10 additional spells, but also threw in armor and weapons proficiency and oh, just for kicks, a second attack at 6th level.

That option has now been full-on nerfed with the release of the UA Sorcerer article, in which the favored soul is completely reworked and is much more balanced and on theme, actually.

PS: Some good-hearted soul has collected all the UA material and formatted like the PH with awesome art and released it as a free PDF. If you haven't been following UA it's like the Player's Handbook, vol 2, for free: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jAv0 ... RXMWc/view

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:31 pm UTC

Oh shit, I've just been saving all the UAs individually; this is awesome!

Oh, except that URL appears to be broken; there's nothing at the other end. :(

Return to “Gaming”