PeteP wrote:I guess, or would you recommend one of the older editions? (Or an entirely different game, I guess I could suggest another game with a similar setting if it's more noob friendly or better.)
Shrugs. Played few systems. Cannot comment.
Detailed character creation below. Used the Fourth Edition character sheet here
. See page 30-31 of the Player’s Handbook for help, especially page numbers.Definition:
2d6 = Roll two six-sided dice.Level:
Splits them into four types.
- Controller: Offense. Specializes in large groups of enemies. May weaken enemies also.
- Defender: Tank. Penalizes monsters for targeting other party members.
- Leader: Support. Heals or bolsters other party members. Decent defense.
- Striker: Offense. Excels at single target.
Code: Select all
Role Major Attributes
Cleric Leader Wis or Str
Fighter Defender Str and Con
Paladin Defender Str or Cha
Ranger Striker Str or Dex
Rogue Striker Dex and Str/Cha
Warlock Striker Cha or Con
Warlord Leader Str and Cha/Int
Wizard Controller Int and Wis/Dex
Str = Strength, Dex = Dexterity, Con = Constitution, Int = Intelligence, Wis = Wisdom, Cha = Charisma.
Lists three major attributes for classes in the player’s handbook. Glanced over each class. Edited it.
Supports two build types per class. Outlines each there. Suggests feats, skills, and powers under each build. Recommends reading both.Paragon Path/Epic Destiny:
Do not bother.Race:
Code: Select all
Attribute Bonuses Speed Description
Dragonborn +2 Str, +2 Cha 6 squares Dragon Person
Dwarf +2 Con, +2 Wis 5 squares Short, tough mountain dweller
Eladrin +2 Dex, +2 Int 6 squares Mystical Elf
Elf +2 Dex, +2 Wis 7 squares Slender forest dweller
Half-Elf +2 Con, +2 Cha 6 squares Half human, half elf
Halfling +2 Dex, +2 Cha 6 squares Short nomad
Human +2 to any one 6 squares Obvious
Tiefling +2 Int, +2 Cha 6 squares Demonic Humans
Possesses further powers and bonuses. Listed major ones.Alignment:
Indicates moral principles.
- Good: Freedom and kindness
- Lawful Good: Civilization and order
- Evil: Tyranny and hatred
- Chaotic Evil: Entropy and destruction
- Unaligned: No alignment
Deity: Optional for non-clerics. See page 21.
(Placed Initiative after this)Ability Scores:
Roll 4d6. Remove the lowest roll. Record it. Roll six scores total. Distribute them as you wish. Remember to add your race’s bonuses afterward.
Code: Select all
Affects when you attack. Place your dexterity modifier here. May receive other bonuses.Hit Points:
Health. See your class.Healing Surge (and per day):
See your class. Allows you to heal in and out of combat.Skills:
(Mostly) Out of combat skills. Fill in your ability modifiers first. May train skills for an additional +5 bonus. See “Trained Skill” at your class’s page. Tells you what can and cannot be trained.Defenses:
Fill in as directed.
- AC: Armor Class. Improves with armor.
- Fortitude: Use either strength’s or constitution’s ability modifier. (Pick the best.)
- Reflex: Dexterity’s or Intelligence’s modifier. Receives a bonus from shields.
- Will: Wisdom’s or Charisma’s modifier.Action Points:
1. Grants a one-time extra action in battle. Receives them at the dungeon master's discretion.Race/Class Features:
See your class’s relevant page.Attack/Damage Workspace:
For frequent, specific attacks. Optional.Basic Attacks:
Melee basic attack: Strength modifier versus Armor Class. Weapon Damage + Strength ability modifier.
Ranged basic attack: Dexterity modifier versus Armor Class. Weapon Damage + Dexterity ability modifier.
(Usually uses At-Will powers, however. Mentions those later.)Feats:
See pages 196-197. Details prerequisites and benefits.At-Will Powers:
Unlimited use per battle.Encounter Powers:
One use per battle.Daily Powers:
One use per day.
See your class for available powers. Choose two at-will powers, one encounter power, and one daily power (at first level). Gains some through race too. Does not count towards your allotted powers.
- Blast X: Affects creatures in an X by X square. Must be adjacent to your character.
- Close Burst X: Affects all creatures within X squares of you.
- Wall X: Choose X squares for your wall. Allows non-straight walls. Must share a side (not a corner) with a least one other square of the wall. (Permits |_| walls, but not \/ walls.)Inventory/Gold:
Starts with 100 gold pieces. 1 gold = 10 silver = 100 copper. Must be proficient in a weapon/armor to use it without penalty. (Mentions that under your class.) Lists equipment starting on page 214.
Light armor: Add your Dexterity or Intelligence modifier when calculating armor class.
Changes its form depending on the observer.