Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Quizatzhaderac

Re: Dungeons and Dragons (and other tabletop RPGs)

Postby Quizatzhaderac » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:The Star Wars galaxy is supposed to have a bajillion systems.
True: part of the drama is that events happen on the highest scales; part of the romance is the existence of another exotic world, regardless of how many you've explored. However, if done poorly, it can result in people not caring about places.
Pop culture Stalin wrote:The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of a million is a statistic.
Darth's and Droids wrote: If you're going to have your bad guy do something despicably evil by destroying something huge, make it something that the PCs care about. Something they've fought for and made sacrifices to save.

Something they've actually heard of before.

-Regarding the destruction of Naboo, instead of Alderaan
Belkar Bitterleaf wrote:Well, I just figured we'd wonder around, kill some sentient creatures because they had green skin and fang and we don't, and then take their stuff.
People needs reasons to care about other people. In fiction, they generally won't put much effort into caring about people on geneal principle.

Blowing up Alderaan had a big impact in A New Hope because it hadn't been done before (at least in anything so mainstream). Blowing up <wherever> in The force Awakens didn't have much of an impact on me. The destruction of Jedha did have an impact, because the city existed (within the narrative) before it blew up.

Regarding your specific campaign, it's more bout how you do things, then what you do, but I'd encourage you (or anyone telling a story really) and why the audience/players care about places before things happen to them.
The thing about recursion problems is that they tend to contain other recursion problems.

Return to “Gaming”