Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

Thankfully I managed not to spend all of my money on Steam, picked up:

Monkey Island 2 SE £6.99 free MI:SE
Beyond Good & Evil £3.34 33% off
Crysis Pack £14.99 50% off
STALKER: Call of Pripyat £9.99 50% off

So, £35, saving £33 :D . Was going to get Warband but it wasn't a daily and I got Crysis the day before so I skipped it, also thought of picking up the Telltale Everything Pack and decided I'd never get round to playing any of those before Christmas anyway so I might as well wait and buy it then. Mostly my lack of spending was due to already having most of the games on sale. (uh oh, new page >.> )
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

I got the THQ pack, mainly so I could have Metro 2033, but there were a few other games in there I might play one day. Also, Thief: Deadly Shadows on today's "Today Only".
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

LTK

Postby LTK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm UTC

Hey look at that, they're rerunning all the biggest hits from the daily sales today. Yesterday I bought Zombie Island and Secret Armory DLCs for Borderlands. I'd like to get someone to play these with, can any PC players join me? My gamespy name is LTK_70.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 pm UTC

I need someone to berate me properly for being so wasteful when I have so many games I haven't played already. :(

I will at least hold off on Runaway 2 and Rocket Knight, as they're bound to be even cheaper eventually.

SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good

Postby SoapyHobo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:12 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I need someone to berate me properly for being so wasteful when I have so many games I haven't played already. :(
I've learned to live with it. :|
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:39 pm UTC

I got the Introversion Pack last night since I wanted Uplink and the pack was $5 versus $10 for just Uplink even though I already have every other game in the pack.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I need someone to berate me properly for being so wasteful when I have so many games I haven't played already. :(
I've learned to live with it. :|

Pshaw, I haven't even installed more than half the games I have on steam.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:31 pm UTC

Pshaw, I haven't even installed more than half the games I have on steam.

This is the way of steam

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:17 am UTC

And I probably never will install most of mine - for example, in the THQ pack, there are only 4 or 5 games I will ever play, and the rest simply don't interest me.

LTK

Postby LTK » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:23 pm UTC

It's the same with me, only I have the 2K Huge Games Pack with 50 games. So far I played three of them. Even so, those three games were good enough to merit most of the price for the whole pack. Gotta love Steam, huh?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 pm UTC

What greatly saddens me is that there really isn't much in my Steam library that is absolutely not worth playing.

..Oh dear, I'm starting to forget exactly what I have in there.

Wouldn't it be great if, six months from now, Valve released statistics as to how many games purchased over the last two weeks were actually installed, and how many were played for more than ten minutes? Think of the numbers they must have on hand! Of course, the resulting public relations difficulties would probably not justify just an altruistic disclosure.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:58 pm UTC

Super Laser Racer got 2 minutes out of me,
SW: KOTOR - 29 mins
Deus Ex - 49 mins
All those three pretty much experienced that total length of content on the first perusal on installation, then were uninstalled shortly after.
Yes you heard that right, Kotor and Deusex did not gel for me.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:58 am UTC

Dobblesworth wrote:Yes you heard that right, Kotor and Deusex did not gel for me.

Please turn in your gamer card, along with any consoles or gaming PCs you might own. Your new Wii and windows 95 PC with Peggle installed are waiting for you.

:D (disclaimer: I love peggle and I have a wii, so obviously i'm just joking around)

Still though, you're missing out.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:50 am UTC

novax6 wrote:Please turn in your gamer card, along with any consoles or gaming PCs you might own. Your new Wii and windows 95 PC with Peggle installed are waiting for you.

:D (disclaimer: I love peggle and I have a wii, so obviously i'm just joking around)

They were fantastic for their time, but now they seem too ham fisted with the plot.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:18 am UTC

WarDaft wrote:
novax6 wrote:Please turn in your gamer card, along with any consoles or gaming PCs you might own. Your new Wii and windows 95 PC with Peggle installed are waiting for you.

They were fantastic for their time, but now they seem too ham fisted with the plot.

Pshaw, I played through Deus Ex again not that long ago, was still great. And plot doesn't have that much to do with how good a game is, IMO, more about gameplay, presentation, and depth.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:55 am UTC

Yeah, I bought Dues Ex recently and it's just not grabbing me. I intend to stick with it for a while longer, but I think it's hurt by the fact that I'm trying to play it like a traditional FPS (shoot everything in sight), but there's not enough ammo and accuracy blows if you try that.

Also, Kotor is on steam? And it was on sale? DAMN! I've never played that but kinda want to.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:11 pm UTC

If you find the old skool kill everything on sight boring. Deus Ex can be completed without killing a single person.

Spoiler:
Have fun on the boat mission, if you knock anyone out, they'll drown at the end of the level when it sinks.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:18 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:Pshaw, I played through Deus Ex again not that long ago, was still great. And plot doesn't have that much to do with how good a game is, IMO, more about gameplay, presentation, and depth.
I.. uh.. couldn't possibly disagree harder.

Planescape:Torment - built on an engine not really meant for that kinda game. Given the nature of your allies, everything seemed counter-intuitive to what you even understand of those games - barely any armor, hardly any weapons, almost zero swords and so on. And SO MUCH TALKING. You couldn't take five steps without someone stopping you for 20 minutes to chat your ear off.

And hell, mechanically speaking, they completely removed the threat of death. Gone! Your main character, rather than being the untouchable "Keep this person alive or it's Game Over" as is so common in so many games, was instead Mr. Immortal - he can be killed, sure, but he gets better.

The gameplay was crap, the presentation was awful, and.. okay, it was pretty deep. You got me there. But the writing and the plot is what kept you drawn in and hooked on the damned thing, like a rat smacking the bar for it's next fix.

Now.. you are correct in that, for a great many games, plot isn't that big of a deal. No one gives a crap about the plot of Tetris, and it'd probably make the whole thing worse if you tried to add one in (Brave Tetra Warrior! Guide your Tetroids to complete Energy Lines to blast the Demon Tetrana! The Tetris has begun!) but if the game is trying for a plot and fails - it makes the game laughable and barely playable because you simply cannot maintain your interest to continue.
ProZac wrote:Yeah, I bought Dues Ex recently and it's just not grabbing me. I intend to stick with it for a while longer, but I think it's hurt by the fact that I'm trying to play it like a traditional FPS (shoot everything in sight), but there's not enough ammo and accuracy blows if you try that.
The main thing to remember is that Deus Ex isn't a FPS. It's a linear RPG that just happens to use a First Person Real-Time interface, and your weaponry consists primarily of Firearms rather than swords (except for when you get a sword, of course)
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dason

Postby Dason » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:02 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:(Brave Tetra Warrior! Guide your Tetroids to complete Energy Lines to blast the Demon Tetrana! The Tetris has begun!) but if the game is trying for a plot and fails - it makes the game laughable and barely playable because you simply cannot maintain your interest to continue.

Actually I think you just made me fall in love with Brave Tetra Warrior!
double epsilon = -.0000001;

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:32 pm UTC

Wanna play that Brave Tetra Warrior.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:33 pm UTC

You can! Click here!
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
novax6 wrote:Pshaw, I played through Deus Ex again not that long ago, was still great. And plot doesn't have that much to do with how good a game is, IMO, more about gameplay, presentation, and depth.
I.. uh.. couldn't possibly disagree harder.

Planescape:Torment - built on an engine not really meant for that kinda game. Given the nature of your allies, everything seemed counter-intuitive to what you even understand of those games - barely any armor, hardly any weapons, almost zero swords and so on. And SO MUCH TALKING. You couldn't take five steps without someone stopping you for 20 minutes to chat your ear off.

And hell, mechanically speaking, they completely removed the threat of death. Gone! Your main character, rather than being the untouchable "Keep this person alive or it's Game Over" as is so common in so many games, was instead Mr. Immortal - he can be killed, sure, but he gets better.

The gameplay was crap, the presentation was awful, and.. okay, it was pretty deep. You got me there. But the writing and the plot is what kept you drawn in and hooked on the damned thing, like a rat smacking the bar for it's next fix.

Now.. you are correct in that, for a great many games, plot isn't that big of a deal. No one gives a crap about the plot of Tetris, and it'd probably make the whole thing worse if you tried to add one in (Brave Tetra Warrior! Guide your Tetroids to complete Energy Lines to blast the Demon Tetrana! The Tetris has begun!) but if the game is trying for a plot and fails - it makes the game laughable and barely playable because you simply cannot maintain your interest to continue.
ProZac wrote:Yeah, I bought Dues Ex recently and it's just not grabbing me. I intend to stick with it for a while longer, but I think it's hurt by the fact that I'm trying to play it like a traditional FPS (shoot everything in sight), but there's not enough ammo and accuracy blows if you try that.
The main thing to remember is that Deus Ex isn't a FPS. It's a linear RPG that just happens to use a First Person Real-Time interface, and your weaponry consists primarily of Firearms rather than swords (except for when you get a sword, of course)

I also disagree, the gameplay IS very good in Torment. Talking and dialog trees are part of that gameplay, and the combat is just as good as the rest of the games built on that engine, which most people agree are fantastic, so why is gameplay crap? I would argue that if conversations were inane and the writing for them was horrible, then it would make the game less fun, but that seems to me part of presentation rather then plot, and it only helps the game that it has a great plot. And also, no, you can indeed lose, it just skips the game over screen and starts you back at the mortuary if I remember right. It's not like your character being immortal made the game easier, it was still a tough game. If you want an example of a character being immortal that totally destroyed the games challenge, Bioshock was the worst about that.

Also plot has never made a bad game playable. If you have an amazing story, but the game is complete poorly coded, boring trash, then no one will touch your lonely game. Vice versa, if you have poorly written, trash as a plot, but an amazing game, guess what? You just won game of the year and your game is selling millions. Just look at Modern Warfare 2.

Maybe for you if a game tries at a plot and fails, then you are not able to continue, but that's obviously not the case for the vast vast majority of people playing games, because all you need is good presentation and good gameplay and people don't give a fuck if your plot is the most putrid piece of garbage this side of bad romance novels. Again, look at Modern Warfare2, or hell, Metal Gear Solid 4. Tries for a plot, miserably, laughably, and totally fails, but they're still huge hits. In Metal Gear's case it's just about presenting a shitty plot really really well.

I would say it's almost the norm for most games to try for a plot and totally fail, but it doesn't mean they're not good games, or that people don't like them.
Last edited by novax6 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:55 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Brave Tetra Warrior! Guide your Tetroids to complete Energy Lines to blast the Demon Tetrana! The Tetris has begun!

Vile Tetran Overlord could make a good "tetris plot". You work for a soulless corporation harvesting the tetrans for their inherent energy potential. The only issue? They're sentient... but then you don't really care. Like if food begged for mercy before you ate it. You'd still eat it (or you'd starve) but with the right voice acting, it could make you feel absolutely horrible for doing so.

An anyone tried the Moonbase Alpha thing? That has to be the first video game developed in part by a major scientific organization. I mean, even if it's not that good, it's hart to beat free.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 am UTC

novax6 wrote:In Metal Gear's case it's just about presenting a shitty plot really really well.

It's a common affirmation in writing fiction, especially fantasy, that it doesn't matter if your plot is the most clichéd, Tolkien-kissing piece of crap as long as you can pull it off. I.e., the content doesn't matter, the execution does. That seems to be what you've just described, and it's true for all media that have narrative. Fiction, theatre, cinema, comics or videogames. The idea is that plot itself is actually only one component of the 'story' concept. What you're describing is a game that has a bad plot but good storytelling, which would actually make it have a good story.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:12 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:No one gives a crap about the plot of Tetris

Exactly. It was so full of holes. What were the writers on? Not even one line seemed complete. People said they found it hard to piece together. Critics said it was very two-dimensional, and repetitive, even when the pace quickened towards the end. The lead roles didn't click, you know? Even when the protagonist turned around. It just didn't shape up to be a very good premise, despite being hyped as a summer blockbuster.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

novax6

Postby novax6 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
novax6 wrote:In Metal Gear's case it's just about presenting a shitty plot really really well.

It's a common affirmation in writing fiction, especially fantasy, that it doesn't matter if your plot is the most clichéd, Tolkien-kissing piece of crap as long as you can pull it off. I.e., the content doesn't matter, the execution does. That seems to be what you've just described, and it's true for all media that have narrative. Fiction, theatre, cinema, comics or videogames. The idea is that plot itself is actually only one component of the 'story' concept. What you're describing is a game that has a bad plot but good storytelling, which would actually make it have a good story.

Well, maybe, but almost all the storytelling in that game is just exposition, so i'm not really sure I would agree it has good storytelling. I meant presentation being the huge budget and the amazing graphics it has. But yes, some of the cutscenes are really well done, it's just that there is so much of it and the plot is so ridiculous it made the game a complete bore for me. I know people who find it absolutely riveting though, so maybe it's just me. But this is off-topic of an already off-topic point, so I will stop now.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:24 pm UTC

novax6 wrote:Also plot has never made a bad game playable. If you have an amazing story, but the game is complete poorly coded, boring trash, then no one will touch your lonely game.

My turn to disagree! I've played through some terrible (well, I didn't like them) games just to see the end of the story. However, I'll also sit through the cutscenes of a plot I don't give a crap.

Felstaff wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:No one gives a crap about the plot of Tetris

Exactly. It was so full of holes. What were the writers on? Not even one line seemed complete. People said they found it hard to piece together. Critics said it was very two-dimensional, and repetitive, even when the pace quickened towards the end. The lead roles didn't click, you know? Even when the protagonist turned around. It just didn't shape up to be a very good premise, despite being hyped as a summer blockbuster.

Hey you. I see what you did there. I approve.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:58 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
novax6 wrote:Also plot has never made a bad game playable. If you have an amazing story, but the game is complete poorly coded, boring trash, then no one will touch your lonely game.

My turn to disagree! I've played through some terrible (well, I didn't like them) games just to see the end of the story. However, I'll also sit through the cutscenes of a plot I don't give a crap.

Just because you'll touch it doesn't mean anyone else will. Dreamfall had an amazingly well done story, and is quite lacking as far as being a game goes. I don't know exact numbers, but I don't recall it doing too amazingly (though, I suppose it's getting a sequel at some point).

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:26 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
ProZac wrote:

Just because you'll touch it doesn't mean anyone else will. Dreamfall had an amazingly well done story, and is quite lacking as far as being a game goes. I don't know exact numbers, but I don't recall it doing too amazingly (though, I suppose it's getting a sequel at some point).

What am I going to do with all of these extra pennies? Oh! I know, I'll be opinionated online.

I think that a video game's story is a lot like seasoning. A game can be fun without a story, but it can't be great, awesome, or perfect without one. If the game play is fun (or at least tolerable) then adding a good story will generally serve to make it better. However, if the game is basically frustrating, unplayable crap, then all the seasoning in the world won't cover up the fact that it's a turd.

As is usually the case, there will be exceptions to this, and there is all but a guaranteed to be people whose personal experiences differ. With the latter I imagine that a major contributing factor is the issue of what any given gamer wants from their game.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Still feel like spending money? Looks like GamersGate has a few platformers on sale for the next few days.

Clover: A Curious Tale - 50% ($4.97)
Emberwind - 60% ($4.78) (also for mac)
The Lunar Pack - 60% ($3.79)
Max and the Magic Marker - 75% ($4.97)
Saira - 50% ($4.97)
Trine - 66% ($6.78)

It might not be worth mentioning at all, but Max and the Magic Marker was just a bit tempting when Steam had it on sale at $7.50. I think diminishing marginal utility is finally kicking in for me, though.

Oh yes, and everyone seems to be all up ons this freeware Alien Swarm thing, if you haven't heard.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/630/

And there's SBCG4AP for $5, if you weren't suckered into paying a lot more for it the last time it went on sale. (I think it's also available direct from Telltale for that price at the moment, too.)
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8340/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:50 am UTC

Well, if you still want Machinarium, you've got a few hours left before their "Pirate Amnesty Sale" expires: five bucks at 75% off.
https://sites.fastspring.com/amanitades ... achinarium

You also might want to check out GamersGate again this week:
Aquanox $2.49 (50%)
Aquanox 2: Revelation $2.49 (50%)
ArmA 2 $19.97 (50%)
ArmA Gold Edition $9.97 (50%)
Batman: Arkham Asylum Game of the Year Edition $15.98 (60%)
Battlefield Bad Company 2 $29.95 (40%)
Borderlands Won't work with any Borderlands DLC!!! $10.18 (66%)
Chaser $2.49 (50%)
Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena $4.98 (75%)
Crysis $14.97 (50%)
Crysis Warhead $9.97 (50%)
Dark Sector $3.97 (60%)
Fort Zombie $2.48 (75%)
Frontlines Fuel of War $2.48 (75%)
Legendary $7.49 (75%)
NecroVision $3.23 (75%)
NecroVisioN: Lost Company $7.48 (75%)
Painkiller $3.47 (50%)
Painkiller Black Edition $4.97 (50%)
Painkiller Overdose $2.47 (50%)
Painkiller Pandemonium $7.48 (75%)
Painkiller Universe $9.97 (50%)
Painkiller: Resurrection $9.99 (50%)
Power Of Defense: Defend Your World! $11.51 (23%)
Red Faction Guerrilla $4.96 (75%)
Saints Row 2 $7.48 (75%)
Section 8 $10.19 (66%)
The Great White Destroyer $2.99 (50%)
The Mark $4.99 (50%)
THQ Complete Collection $49.99 (50%)
Unreal Complete Pack $28.97 (50%)
Unreal Tournament 3 Black $4.98 (75%)
Velvet Assassin $6.79 (66%)
Victoria Complete $9.97 (50%)
Vizati $4.47 (50%)
X-Blades $10.18 (66%)

I shouldn't have bought Batman when Steam had it for 50%. Why did I neglect Threepwood's Razor?
Spoiler:
"Never spend more than 20 bucks on a computer game."

Zelda007

Postby Zelda007 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:25 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Spoiler:
"Never spend more than 20 bucks on a computer game."

A-fucking-men. I've learned this many times this summer alone.

Steam has got a sweet QuakeCon pack for $69.99. They're also putting a few select games on sale each day. Today's was Oblivion for $6.79, or the Deluxe Edition for $8.49.

cv4

Postby cv4 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:45 am UTC

I own Oblivion for the 360, but as I plan on phasing that system out over the next year or 2 (OG 360, no hdmi, super loud, also have a ps3), I think I might pick it up for $8.50.

Decided against Oblivion. Enough other similar, newer games I wanna play. Grabbed Arkham Asylum instead.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:32 pm UTC

Game.giveawayoftheday has The Sandbox of God Remastered for the rest of the day. I almost spent two bucks on this at GameDuJour a week or two ago. Worth a look:
http://game.giveawayoftheday.com/the-sa ... emastered/

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:13 pm UTC

MHD wrote:Hey guys, you should check out this amazing little indie-pearl available for 8.99€:
Plain Sight, a game about gravity, robot ninjas and suicidal tendencies.

I have been following it since the open beta and it really turned out great.
And there it is on sale - two bucks a pop. Buying a 4-pack will save you all of fifty cents - kind of makes you wonder if Valve is just running a devious psychological experiment.

But hey, if three other people care to speak up, I'd like to save fifty cents. :D

(Funny how it's not showing up in the list of specials.)

lemurdoom

Postby lemurdoom » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 am UTC

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the STALKER pack on steam. Call or Pripyat and Shadow of Chernobyl on sale for $10

too bad it's over now

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:01 pm UTC

Picked up Plain Sight (Oh hell yes I did the 4 pack). Pretty fun game. Definitely worth the $2, though I'm not sure I would have paid the full price ($10).

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/48700 - "Mount and Blade", and the standalone sequel, "Mount and Blade: Warband" are pretty damn cheap right now, especially compared to what you'd pay at taleworlds.
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:05 am UTC

Oh noes, D2D wants your money now.
http://www.direct2drive.com/promos/d2d-turns-6/

Nothing much this week, unless you didn't pick up that Penumbra collection previously.

Here's hoping they put that newly-released PC version of the Broken Sword Director's Cut up for grabs.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:42 am UTC

I am now waiting for Worms Reloaded to go on sale.

Return to “Gaming”