Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:07 am UTC

I will gladly take one off of your burdened hands. My username is Felstaff, and I, too, have a reckless disregard for gravity.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:45 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Skyrim had some very high visibility bugs though. Mammoths dropping from the sky was common place. And an uncomfortable amount of z-fighting in distant terrain.

...... And the earlier games didn't?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:28 pm UTC

I certainly don't remember anything dropping from the sky in Morrowind.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

I'm 150 hours into Skyrim and the only thing I can remember falling from the sky is the Space Core...
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:45 pm UTC

By contrast Morrowind had that guy falling out of the sky right outside of Seyda Neen. 'Course that wasn't a bug, that was just awesome.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:17 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:I will gladly take one off of your burdened hands. My username is Felstaff, and I, too, have a reckless disregard for gravity.
Friend invite sent.

I have one more 50% off of Aaah! For the Awesome coupon for anyone that can use it.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I certainly don't remember anything dropping from the sky in Morrowind.

The guy with the fortify acrobatics 1000 scrolls? :)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:12 pm UTC

So is Fallout 3 still worthwhile at all, or would I be better off sticking with New Vegas?

I neglected to pick it up for five bucks during the Steam sale, but at $6.79 it's still almost as cheap as it's ever been. The Steam store page rather insipidly declares that it is "not optimized for Windows 7".

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

I can't speak for the Steam version, but my GotY DVD version works fine under Win7, optimized or not, FWIW. I've been tempted to grab it on Steam, too - it's a good game, it's cheap, and Steam is way more practical than discs for my HTPC (and it plays nice with controllers).
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:39 pm UTC

I bought it on steam and without exception freezes after at most a couple of minutes of gameplay. I've tried it on both my machines (one win7 and one on xp) and it had the same problem on both (although I think that, with the fixes, I managed to get about 5mins out of the xp machine). None of the known fixes posted online worked.

So yeah, bear in mind that you may well just be throwing some money at valve and bethesda and not get anything for it.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

OTOH, my steam version works fine on Win 7. I haven't played a ton, but I have (early-game spoiler)
Spoiler:
gotten out of the vault and died a bit.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:19 am UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I certainly don't remember anything dropping from the sky in Morrowind.

Mostly because Morrowind just crashed outright before it even got to the point of rendering "things" or "sky".

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:31 am UTC

eSOANEM wrote:I bought it on steam and without exception freezes after at most a couple of minutes of gameplay. I've tried it on both my machines (one win7 and one on xp) and it had the same problem on both (although I think that, with the fixes, I managed to get about 5mins out of the xp machine). None of the known fixes posted online worked.

So yeah, bear in mind that you may well just be throwing some money at valve and bethesda and not get anything for it.

Yeah, for this reason, if you're on Windows 7 I don't suggest buying fallout 3 on steam. Pick up a boxed copy -- the game is totally worth it -- but if you get it on steam, it will be upgraded to the latest patch, which causes the "constant crashing" behavior. You need to use an older patch for it to run.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the situation: the latest patch, the last patch that will likely ever be released, makes the game unplayable. Well fucking done, Bethesda.

EDIT: OTOH, The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch is totally a thing. I haven't used it, but it may fix the Windows 7 crashing bug (as well as I'm sure a lot of other bugs)
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:09 am UTC

And such patches can be applied to the Steam version?

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

Will wrote:
eSOANEM wrote:I bought it on steam and without exception freezes after at most a couple of minutes of gameplay. I've tried it on both my machines (one win7 and one on xp) and it had the same problem on both (although I think that, with the fixes, I managed to get about 5mins out of the xp machine). None of the known fixes posted online worked.

Yeah, for this reason, if you're on Windows 7 I don't suggest buying fallout 3 on steam. Pick up a boxed copy -- the game is totally worth it -- but if you get it on steam, it will be upgraded to the latest patch, which causes the "constant crashing" behavior. You need to use an older patch for it to run.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the situation: the latest patch, the last patch that will likely ever be released, makes the game unplayable. Well fucking done, Bethesda.

EDIT: OTOH, The Unofficial Fallout 3 Patch is totally a thing. I haven't used it, but it may fix the Windows 7 crashing bug (as well as I'm sure a lot of other bugs)

I can't remember if I tried that or not. I might give it a shot.
my pronouns are they

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:23 pm UTC

A glance at the Steam forums suggests that a minor INI edit (restricting the game's access to more than two cores) will fix the freezing in Windows 7.

eSOANEM

Postby eSOANEM » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Yeah, I tried that fix. It didn't work for me. One of the boards suggested that if restricting it to 2 cores didn't fix it, restricting to 1 might but that didn't work either. As I said, I tried all the known fixes I could find online (the ini edit, all the compatibility settings and running as admin IIRC) but none worked. I think I may have also tried the unofficial patch but I can't remember and, as I am currently short on hard-drive space and don't have it installed, probably won't try it for a while.
my pronouns are they

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:22 am UTC

Ubisoft opened up their own storefront from Uplay. http://shop.ubi.com

$1 for Hawx 2 (ends tonight sometime)
$1 for From Dust tomorrow
Same thing for Silent Hunter 5 and one of the Driver games over the weekend.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

But... that means installing Uplay. I'm not letting that thing anywhere near my computer.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

I got it for the Assassin's Creed games. It's not...so bad...
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:24 pm UTC

...says the Spambot.

I have a 75% of Portal 2 Voucher (valid 'til August 30th) if anyone who hasn't already got the game (which should be very few of you), and is thinking of getting it (which should be everyone remaining from the few I mentioned previously) the 75% woucher means you can get it for under $5. A sound investment.

Reply in-thread if you want it!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Snark

Postby Snark » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

I'll take it if no one else does. I don't want my first post in this thread to by sweeping in for free stuff so give the regulars a chance first.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

Eh, I also have one of those Portal 2 75% off vouchers, just like everyone else who already owns Portal 2. Don't feel bad about being that guy, Snark. These vouchers aren't rare.

That said... if anyone else wants one, I'll give mine to the next person who asks.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

And another Portal 2 coupon is now up for grabs. Though I wasn't able to give away all of my Aah! for the Awesome coupons, so I doubt I'll be able to find a home for this one.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:12 am UTC

Snark wrote:I'll take it if no one else does. I don't want my first post in this thread to by sweeping in for free stuff so give the regulars a chance first.

Add me on Steam (if you haven't already? I can't keep track of these blessed multipseudonyms people enjoy having) and I'll whip it out and thrust it in your general direction. Username is Felstaff.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:53 am UTC

I don't think there's going to be any shortage of coupons to go around because, in this thread, I'm betting more people have one than don't. I have a coupon also up for grabs.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Snark

Postby Snark » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:
Snark wrote:I'll take it if no one else does. I don't want my first post in this thread to by sweeping in for free stuff so give the regulars a chance first.

Add me on Steam (if you haven't already? I can't keep track of these blessed multipseudonyms people enjoy having) and I'll whip it out and thrust it in your general direction. Username is Felstaff.
My username is JakeStiles. Since I've only got 1 free game (TF2), I can only receive requests - not send them. This will be remedied when I get Portal.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

I still don't own Portal 2. I've completed it, but I don't own it, and so have never seen the co-op. Very sadmaking.

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:I still don't own Portal 2. I've completed it, but I don't own it, and so have never seen the co-op. Very sadmaking.
I haven't played the co-op either. But for the different reason of because I don't know anyone who owns it.

Anywho, you can have my coupon if you want it. Add me on Steam, my steam name is mr_mack because I'm creative like that.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

....apparently I purchased Portal 2 at some point. Who knew?
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

So Valve finally added a volume control to the trailer videos in Steam. Took them long enough.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:19 am UTC

So I see that 4-pack of Darksiders 2 is up for $37.50.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/67370/

Whaddya say? Can I get three more people interested in this one? That's $9.37 per copy! Over 80% off!

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm UTC

Nobunny? Fair enough, too many games already.

On the other hand, is there better forum for this sort of thing out there? (It's a rather tough thing to manage with these four-packs, I reckon; an untrustworthy sort could easily refuse to give a copy after receiving payment, or vice-versa.)

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Nobunny? Fair enough, too many games already.

On the other hand, is there better forum for this sort of thing out there? (It's a rather tough thing to manage with these four-packs, I reckon; an untrustworthy sort could easily refuse to give a copy after receiving payment, or vice-versa.)

Generally I grab 4-Packs with one of my two gaming groups. I've done it through these forums once, and would happily do so again if it were a game I was interested in.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:OTOH, my steam version works fine on Win 7. I haven't played a ton, but I have (early-game spoiler)
Spoiler:
gotten out of the vault and died a bit.

Yeah, I've also gone that far in the game (on max settings), and not had any crashes.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Cheap game available on Steam here.
Pretty simple game, but a lot of fun. I've gotten to the point where I can reliably take off from one pad and get to another. I've done a couple lost cargo and survey missions, but I'm not as keen on those. Anyone else play and have any funny experiences spiraling out of control and swearing at your screen?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

I'd.. join in, if my first run with Darksiders didn't leave such a... horrible, horrible taste in my mouth.

Mostly because the game refused to not recognize the X-Box controller I had plugged in. Which, I suppose wouldn't be a problem.. if I owned an X-Box controller and had it plugged in to my computer. (Note - just so we're all clear - not only was there no X-Box controller.. or any other controlled - plugged in to my PC, I don't even own an X-Box controller, so my computer shouldn't even have one in any sort of "This might appear again someday" hardware list)

So just navigating the menus was a nightmare. All the tooltips kept referencing controls I didn't have, I couldn't turn off gamepad recognition in the control panels, the control scheme refused to fully map over to my keyboard, and basically I could barely make War walk forward, much less actually play the damned game.

I'd love to know what the fuck they were thinking in releasing that.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:41 am UTC

You really should have just used your x-box controller, Talon. It would have been much simpler.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:18 am UTC

At least Yahtzee's review was one of the more amusing ones he's done in a while.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... rksiders-2

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:45 am UTC

I would actually recommend buying an Xbox controller though. And I'm a sony fanboy who hadn't used the controller before.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Return to “Gaming”