Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EvanED

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EvanED » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:28 pm UTC

I'm considering getting Hitman Blood Money because Yahtzee has brought it up on a few occasions as an example of good stealth, which I am somewhat of a sucker for. Any recommendations or anti-recommendations? And are Codename 47 and Hitman 2 Silent Assassin worth it? All are 75% off.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:39 am UTC

By the way, in case you missed it amidst all the fuss: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri on GOG now includes the Alien Crossfire expansion. It's even free if you already bought the game! And if you haven't before, now there's no excuse – except that it's still 60 cents more expensive right now than it was at its cheapest.

New User

Postby New User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:32 am UTC

EvanED wrote:I'm considering getting Hitman Blood Money because Yahtzee has brought it up on a few occasions as an example of good stealth, which I am somewhat of a sucker for. Any recommendations or anti-recommendations? And are Codename 47 and Hitman 2 Silent Assassin worth it? All are 75% off.

I played Hitman 2, 3 (Contracts), and 4 (Blood Money) and it's been a long time but my impression was that they got better with each installment. Each of those games are very similar (Mission Pack Sequels) but it's things like little tweaks to the AI that made me feel they were better.
So if you've never played any of them, my advice is to buy one and try it. If you think it's great, by the others since they are so similar.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:I'm considering getting Hitman Blood Money because Yahtzee has brought it up on a few occasions as an example of good stealth, which I am somewhat of a sucker for. Any recommendations or anti-recommendations? And are Codename 47 and Hitman 2 Silent Assassin worth it? All are 75% off.

Only played Codename 47 so far, and it was one of the worst games I have ever played. Horrifically buggy, only one way of doing each mission in a game which was supposed to be about choice, and no way of saving halfway through any of the levels/checkpoints... yeah, it sucked. Though I have heard the others are great.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 pm UTC

I found Blood Money to be the most fun. Bit glitchy though, and the AI is far from spectacular.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:39 am UTC

I'm sad Contracts isn't in the bundle. Blood Money was the first one I played, and going back to Contracts was a bit difficult because of some missing options, but I thought the missions in Contracts were more fun. I tried playing 1 but it's very difficult if you're used to the mechanics of Blood Money.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:28 pm UTC

Steam is actually batting pretty poorly this year, so far. Amazon.com and GreenManGaming have had several deals that are just as good, if not considerably better. Of course, they're both offering Steam keys, so there's no getting away from it. (Yes, you do need to have a U.S. "billing address" when ordering from Amazon.com, but it apparently isn't used to ship anything or even to verify your credit card, so any Delaware mail forwarding service will do.)

Word is Scribblenauts Unlimited is going to be $7.50 (75% off) on Amazon on Monday, so I hope you didn't buy it when Steam only had it at 33%.

I just bought Resident Evil 5 for $7.00 from GreenManGaming with their 30% code, which is probably the best price it's ever going to be.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:46 am UTC

I seem to already own everything even remotely worthwhile :-(
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

New User

Postby New User » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:50 am UTC

That really doesn't seem like a reason to frown.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:33 am UTC

New User wrote:That really doesn't seem like a reason to frown.

It is when you still don't have time to play them all :(

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:38 pm UTC

Guild Wars 2 is currently 50% off ($30) on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Guild-Wars-2-Pc/dp/B001TOQ8X4 - select PC Download, Standard Edition.

EDIT: Was one day only. Sale is now over.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 am UTC

I can't believe I didn't realize this before:

When buying a Steam game, you can (and perhaps should!) buy it as a gift for yourself so you can potentially trade it later, rather than letting it sit unplayed in your library.

That sure would have been nice to have known during that brief half-hour period today when Sleeping Dogs was inexplicably available for $4.17, at 91% off...

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 am UTC

Wait, so, you can't trade a game that wasn't received as a gift?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:20 am UTC

It would be more accurate to say that you can't trade a game that's already been registered by an account. When you choose to "purchase for myself" in the Steam Store, it automatically registers the copy to you (except in a few specific cases). If you choose to "purchase as a gift" it places an unregistered copy in your Steam inventory. You can either activate it on your own account or trade or gift it to someone else at that point.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:23 am UTC

Specifically, after selecting "Buy as a gift", your options are "Email my gift", "Send my gift directly through Steam", and "Store the gift in my inventory to send later".

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:26 pm UTC

The D&D Master Anthology is back on sale at Impulse/GameStop at the moment. That's Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment, and The Temple of Elemental Evil, and all the expansions - for $4.99. If you missed it before, now's your chance!
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2574

For another six bucks or so you can also get Neverwinter Nights 1&2 and a whole bunch of expansions.
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W3220

Rumor has it Amazon.com is going to be selling a bundle of MS Arcade titles (including Mark of the Ninja) this weekend for $9.99, but if you bought something from them in December you might still be able to apply $5 of credit towards it.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:07 pm UTC

System Shock 2 - $9.99 on GoG.

Go Get.

Ignore this nescient rube.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:19 pm UTC

I have found this thing. Many games were recently bought because of it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/new/
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:34 am UTC

A while ago Stream was really pushing hard on Aliens Colonial Marines. I wasn't a big fan of the alien franchise but the Trailer looks sick!

So did anyone pre-ordered the game? How was it?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:54 am UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:A while ago Stream was really pushing hard on Aliens Colonial Marines. I wasn't a big fan of the alien franchise but the Trailer looks sick!

I did not get it but have a few friends that did. They all claim it is absolutely horrible.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 am UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:A while ago Stream was really pushing hard on Aliens Colonial Marines. I wasn't a big fan of the alien franchise but the Trailer looks sick!

This should help answer your question/
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:11 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:

This should help answer your question/

or this

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:01 am UTC

I think Duke Nukem Forever was better received.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:59 am UTC

3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:19 am UTC

Lostdreams wrote:I have found this thing. Many games were recently bought because of it.

There is in fact a magnificent crapload of games on sale on Amazon.com until the end of February. A fine list is available at http://pastebin.com/8aZnR5Si ; do not forget the one-time use CAGROCKS coupon code when placing your order for a one-time 20% discount.

Unfortunately, "crapload" is quite accurate in this case as there's a tremendous amount of shovelware in that list. On the other hand, it's rare that you'll see such obscurities available at such a discount. Three bucks for Little Big Adventure 1 & 2, for instance, is better than what you'll get on GOG.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:09 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:There is in fact a magnificent crapload of games on sale on Amazon.com until the end of February. A fine list is available at http://pastebin.com/8aZnR5Si ; do not forget the one-time use CAGROCKS coupon code when placing your order for a one-time 20% discount.

Small correction - it's a 25% discount.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Lostdreams wrote:I have found this thing. Many games were recently bought because of it.

There is in fact a magnificent crapload of games on sale on Amazon.com until the end of February. A fine list is available at http://pastebin.com/8aZnR5Si ; do not forget the one-time use CAGROCKS coupon code when placing your order for a one-time 20% discount.

Unfortunately, "crapload" is quite accurate in this case as there's a tremendous amount of shovelware in that list. On the other hand, it's rare that you'll see such obscurities available at such a discount. Three bucks for Little Big Adventure 1 & 2, for instance, is better than what you'll get on GOG.

I heard it doesn't work outside of the US.

edit:

Confirmed
Game Downloads are only available to US customers
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

I already mentioned that:
Jorpho wrote:Yes, you do need to have a U.S. "billing address" when ordering from Amazon.com, but it apparently isn't used to ship anything or even to verify your credit card, so any Delaware mail forwarding service will do.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:26 am UTC

Brutal Legend is 25% off right now on Steam. I know I'm in the minority, but I fucking loved that game on console.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 am UTC

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/psychonauts

Psychonauts for $4. I've heard great things, so grabbed it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:Brutal Legend is 25% off right now on Steam. I know I'm in the minority, but I fucking loved that game on console.

If I remember right, the problem most people had with it is that they were expecting a whole different genre of game, and got (essentially) First-Person RTS.

(I loved it)
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:56 am UTC

3fj wrote:
Eseell wrote:Brutal Legend is 25% off right now on Steam. I know I'm in the minority, but I fucking loved that game on console.

If I remember right, the problem most people had with it is that they were expecting a whole different genre of game, and got (essentially) First-Person RTS.

(I loved it)

I liked the concept, story and usage of music (motherfucking Mr. Crowley), but thought they dropped the ball gameplay wise. The enemy variation was low, the RTS required no strategy whatsoever (neither did the hack-n-slash) and there was not a lot to do in the world. A bit disappointing for a 2009 game.
You rang?

Decker

Postby Decker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:03 am UTC

For the do-it-yourself people in the room, RPG Maker VX Ace is half off on Steam.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:14 am UTC

IndieGala is offering another bundle presently which I thought I should point out because it contains Pathologic. This will likely sell you on spending a dollar for this game (assuming you didn't get it in the Indie Royale bundle back in October):
http://hardcoregaming101.net/pathologic/pathologic1.htm

Speaking of Indie Royale, their current bundle presently offers Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People from Telltale, which very, very rarely goes on sale.
http://www.indieroyale.com/

And of course there's a new Humble Bundle with Android out. Beat Hazard Ultra, Dynamite Jack, Solar 2, and NightSky HD, plus Super Hexagon and Dungeon Defenders if you beat the average.
http://www.humblebundle.com/

Finally, today's IndieGameStand bundle is the much beloved Bridge-It, by all accounts a most excellent physics challenge, and dirt cheap, too.
https://indiegamestand.com/

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm UTC

Tropico 4 and all its DLC was on sale for 9.99 (75% off). I stayed up way too late last night after getting it.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:20 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:
3fj wrote:

(I loved it)

I liked the concept, story and usage of music (motherfucking Mr. Crowley), but thought they dropped the ball gameplay wise. The enemy variation was low, the RTS required no strategy whatsoever (neither did the hack-n-slash) and there was not a lot to do in the world. A bit disappointing for a 2009 game.

If you've never played an RTS, it was difficult.

I played it, and at the time after finishing it I wasn't really fond of it. In retrospect, I see what they were trying to do with it, but it didn't quite work.

Shame, as the setting was fucking fantastic.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:Tropico 4 and all its DLC was on sale for 9.99 (75% off). I stayed up way too late last night after getting it.

Republicanize your banana today! I felt almost bad as I was playing Tropico 4, since they seem to have set up all the tools for you to be a brutal and oppressive dictator, and instead I was just actually fulfilling my peoples' needs, making them happy and making them love me. It feels like I'm playing the game wrong :P
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:57 pm UTC

I just realized I'm doing the same thing... this shall be rectified.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:03 pm UTC

I think it was designed that way. Being brutal usually ends in a coup.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm UTC

GOG is having a big sale this weekend. Master of Orion 1+2 or Master of Magic for $2.39. So worth it. Thinking about buying them so I never have to worry about installs, cd issues, or anything else.

Just don't buy MOO3.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Return to “Gaming”