Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby broken_escalator » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:51 pm UTC

emceng wrote:GOG is having a big sale this weekend. Master of Orion 1+2 or Master of Magic for $2.39. So worth it. Thinking about buying them so I never have to worry about installs, cd issues, or anything else.

Just don't buy MOO3.

Having never played it (or heard about it), why not MOO3?

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:55 pm UTC

Picked up the Binding of Isaac expansion for $.75. If only I had waited a bit I would have had the main game for that much as well. Oh well.

Fun game, though the lack of descriptions on a lot of items is annoying.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

JudeMorrigan

Postby JudeMorrigan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:
emceng wrote:GOG is having a big sale this weekend. Master of Orion 1+2 or Master of Magic for $2.39. So worth it. Thinking about buying them so I never have to worry about installs, cd issues, or anything else.

Just don't buy MOO3.

It was a failure of a game. If memory serves (admittedly it was some years ago that it came out), it was ambitious, but not only was it rather broken, but the core of the gameplay was just not very good.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

I remember being okay with MoO3, but I also haven't played it since it came out, a decade ago. See here for a summary of what people didn't like.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:

Just don't buy MOO3.

Yeah, basically what everyone else said here. For me personally, the game was just boring and poorly laid out. The UI was poor, and just a pain to navigate the map. It was also partly expectations. The first two were so great, and the third was barely mediocre. Galactiv Civ 2 is a far superior game, and you can probably get it cheap someplace too.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is 50% off! It's actually quite good! Honestly! Download the demo if you don't believe me!
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:34 pm UTC

broken_escalator wrote:

Just don't buy MOO3.

"So, you liked the massive space battles of 1, but liked the customization of ships of 2 and just wish battle was maybe a wee bit faster? You liked the sliders for planetary production of 1, but preferred the building customization of 2 so as to build supermax industrial planets or otherwise personalize them? We hear you.

Massive sliders on your planets that don't seem to do anything so every planet is basically identical, and abstract ship combat ahoy!"

It... yeah, I tried playing it for a week or two and just gave up. It.. it was basically nothing at all like the two that came before it. I've taken to calling it Spreadsheets In Space, as that's what I recall spending 90% of the game staring at.

As for why you should play MoO2....

Every space 4X game to this day is compared to MoO2. Every. Fucking. One.

And none of them have even gotten 50% of the 4X fans to say "Yeah, this one's better than MoO2."

Yes, it's got issues. Massive space battles, even with all the animations turned off and everything running at full speed can often take up to 10 minutes for the AI to make all their moves and shots. The AI is the usual suicidal AI, with lots of wild mood swings. Endgame, if you're using the Military Conquest approach, it's just you throwing your Goon Squad of DeathDoom Stars at everything that moves and vaporizing their planets as it's easier than trying to manage ANOTHER hostile colony...

But it's still arguably the best space 4X game, and maybe the best 4X game period.

Master of Magic is excellent just because of all the hilariously broken ways you can play the game - ways that shouldn't work, but make you nigh-invincible.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

Aw, shit, I didn't see that MoM was on sale. Well, I'll probably buy it at full-price anyway, just so I don't have to screw around with DOSBox again. That game was *fun*. ALL-NECRO BUG PEOPLE FTW (They AI already hates you for being the bug people, so might as well be necro as well. Then fill chokepoints with IMMORTAL RESPAWNING WEREWOLVES.)
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Every space 4X game to this day is compared to MoO2. Every. Fucking. One.

And none of them have even gotten 50% of the 4X fans to say "Yeah, this one's better than MoO2."

Having only this past year gotten into 4X with Sins of Solar Empire... I'll be getting this MOO2, and not just because the abreviation is fun to say.

And I'll stay way the hell away from MoO3, thanks everyone.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:04 pm UTC

Guild Wars 2 is $40 until April 2 (30% off). https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/buy/digital-edition
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Naurgul

Postby Naurgul » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:11 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:Picked up the Binding of Isaac expansion for $.75. If only I had waited a bit I would have had the main game for that much as well. Oh well.

Fun game, though the lack of descriptions on a lot of items is annoying.

I think the wiki is indispensable unless you enjoy being frustrated in not knowing what is going on with your items.
Praised be the nightmare, which reveals to us that we have the power to create hell.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:52 pm UTC

It's a pity McMillen & Co. never expunged some of the remaining bugs, but in theory he's working on redoing the game from scratch in something other than Flash.

P.S. If you really want all the achievements, "Dark Boy" (in which you must get through both levels of the Depths without taking any hits) tends to be much, much easier to obtain before you install the expansion – and even then it's darn difficult.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:03 pm UTC

Monster D&D sale at GoG: up to 80% off games like PST, BG1&2, IWD1&2, NWN and NWN2 Complete.

Seriously. NWN2 with MOTB for as little as $4.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

VectorZero wrote:up to 80% off

It's only 40% for one game. Interesting games are BG2, NWN2 complete (only for MotB, the rest has shit plot), and PS:T. Chosing those those comes up to 51% off, which is meh, and you are basically better off getting them all.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:56 pm UTC

For reference, the entire pack is $21.10 and includes Forgotten Realms: Demonstone, D&D: Dragonshard and The Temple of Elemental Evil along with the 7 i mentioned before.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:52 pm UTC

I remark once again upon the aforementioned:
Jorpho wrote:The D&D Master Anthology is back on sale at Impulse/GameStop at the moment. That's Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment, and The Temple of Elemental Evil, and all the expansions - for $4.99. If you missed it before, now's your chance!
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2574

For another six bucks or so you can also get Neverwinter Nights 1&2 and a whole bunch of expansions.
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W3220
Not on sale at the moment, but rather a better value when it is.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Wadget Eye's Resonance is on sale today on Steam, I have heard good things. It won a few adventure game awards, so I'll pick it up.
Let's hope it doesn't enter my steam graveyard...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:42 am UTC

If it's adventure games you seek, may I recommend http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-A4P/adven ... ack-bundle ? For $2.50 you can get Gray Matter and three other games that are probably not worth mentioning. But Gray Matter marks the return of Jane "Gabriel Knight" Jensen, and comes highly recommended.

"But there's no Steam key!" you may cry. And indeed, the game has never appeared on Steam for some odd reason.

dbsmith wrote:Let's hope it doesn't enter my steam graveyard...
Is that what you call it? I like it, but I think stronger language needs to be used. "Steaming Pile" comes to mind, but that is probably a little too strong.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:58 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I remark once again upon the aforementioned:
Jorpho wrote:The D&D Master Anthology is back on sale at Impulse/GameStop at the moment. That's Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment, and The Temple of Elemental Evil, and all the expansions - for $4.99. If you missed it before, now's your chance!
http://www.impulsedriven.com/products/ESD-IMP-W2574
Heads up: $5.99 on GamersGate at the moment.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dun ... collection

GamersGate effectively has no DRM.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Fri May 03, 2013 6:53 pm UTC

GoG has 60% off EA's catalogue this weekend.

Don't worry; it's the stuff from before they were evil!

And May the Fourth be with you.

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Tue May 07, 2013 7:31 pm UTC

The latest Humble Bundle is the Humble Double Fine Bundle. I can't speak for Costume Quest, but Psychonauts, Stacking, and Brütal Legend are all excellent.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue May 07, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

Alas, if you already have everything but Brutal Legend, eight bucks is the going rate on both GameStop and GreenManGaming (with coupon code), so no bargain there – unless the average declines further, and it might.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sat May 11, 2013 3:14 am UTC

Picked up SMAC and SMAX from GOG recently. My thesis doesn't need to be written THIS year, does it?

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon May 13, 2013 2:50 pm UTC

XCOM and torchlight 2 were 66% off. Not sure how much longer they have left on the sale, but I'm so happy I finally picked them up!

firechicago
Location: One time, I put a snowglobe in the microwave and pushed "Hot Dog"

Postby firechicago » Wed May 15, 2013 5:38 pm UTC

Weird, I seem to have somehow acquired three coupons for 75% off Shogun Total War 2, good through the 23rd. I already own the game, as do all my friends with Steam accounts, anyone here interested?

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri May 17, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Amazon MAYhem sale

Normally I'd do a direct link to Amazon and not Reddit but a the poster has put together a nice list of games included in the sale with direct links carrying the AbleGamers tags. I thought that might be worth preserving but am too lazy to reproduce a list that long. This is me splitting the difference.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat May 18, 2013 3:22 am UTC

Gee, no mention of Mass Effect 3 for 5.99. Reckon that's worth jumping on.

The Renegade OPS+DLC + The Cave + Jet Set Radio + Nights + Hell Yeah! bundle is a heckuva lot better than The Cave on its own for 7.50.

Any thoughts on 16 Bit Arena?

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Gee, no mention of Mass Effect 3 for 5.99. Reckon that's worth jumping on.

Naw, the ending sucks.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun May 19, 2013 1:19 am UTC

I thought they fixed that in DLC.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun May 19, 2013 3:25 am UTC

It now sucks. Before it really really really sucked.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Sun May 19, 2013 5:55 am UTC

Counter-strike: Global Offensive is on free trial for the next...17 hours, and I think it should be on sale for 50% off for 24 hours after that.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I thought they fixed that in DLC.

They really didn't. They just made it longer, without addressing any of the issues raised by players during last year's shitstorm.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Eseell

Postby Eseell » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

The guys at Penny Arcade are giving away Steam codes for On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3.

If you don't have it and you want to have it, now might be a good time to fix that.
"Math is hard work and it occupies your mind -- and it doesn't hurt to learn all you can of it, no matter what rank you are; everything of any importance is founded on mathematics." - Robert A. Heinlein

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon May 20, 2013 4:33 pm UTC

Eseell wrote:The guys at Penny Arcade are giving away Steam codes for On The Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3.

If you don't have it and you want to have it, now might be a good time to fix that.

Neat. Is 3 as well written as 2?

edit: Doesn't work anyway, code was already used.

edit2: site is back online, code worked

edit3: game was a lot of fun, suggest buying 4
Last edited by Menacing Spike on Sat May 25, 2013 7:14 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 22, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Thu May 23, 2013 1:20 am UTC

I never beat Alan Wake, so now I own it. Might play it next week.

Coin

Postby Coin » Fri May 24, 2013 12:16 pm UTC

Crusader Kings II is on sale at 75% on Gamersgate this weekend to celebrate the new expansion.
I'm sorely tempted to pick it up, but alas, even if it's cheap I just don't seem to have a lot of money to spend right now :(
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:30 pm UTC

Humble Bundle is on a streak this week.

First there's the Humble Indie Bundle 8, which has Little Inferno, Capsized, Thomas Was Alone, Dear Esther and Awesomenauts, with Hotline Miami and Proteus as Beat the Average.

And then there's the new Humble Weekly Sale: Telltale Games, which has a lot of Telltale's point&click adventures, and The Walking Dead as BTA.

(Also, for those who missed the Alan Wake sale, Steam has it now for 90% off.)
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

The only one I really want out of the Telltale bundle is Walking Dead. At $4.50 is it cheaper than it would be to buy it on XBox Arcade? I can't check now cause I'm at work.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:49 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:The only one I really want out of the Telltale bundle is Walking Dead. At $4.50 is it cheaper than it would be to buy it on XBox Arcade? I can't check now cause I'm at work.

It's 400 MS points, so $5. Yes, it's cheaper.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

Return to “Gaming”