Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EmptySet » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:54 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Picked up Tomb Raider on the cheap because it has been getting good reviews. My review of the first couple of hour's play: holy quick-time events, Batman! This game is stuffed full of them. At first it's like "press left-right-left-right" then suddenly it's "Press the F key! But not yet; you have to wait until the rapidly shrinking circle is inside the other circle!" And it sometimes makes you do that a number of times before going "Mash the E button now too late you're dead!". It's practically impossible to get past some of those on the first go. I had to do one with a wolf in a cave about 10 times before finally getting past it. Most times, it wasn't clear what I'd done wrong. So fucking frustrating.

Don't worry the next generation of games will have automatic quick time events where you can't lose!


The unbridled power of our new console is what makes Cutscenes™ possible. This stunning, never-before-seen technology anticipates what the player will do and automatically does it for them, doing away with the inconvenient quick-time events of yesteryear!

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6207
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:00 pm UTC

How is Reus? It looks kind of tempting.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

Picked up Dust Elysium Tail. Seems like it would be a really nice game if it wasn't so heavily riddled with bugs. It refuses to start with my triple screens active, so I have to disable my eyefinity setup every time I start the game. I also had to uninstall some windows security update to solve a problem with cutscenes having the top half of the video blacked out. So while I'd really like to just sit back and enjoy the game for what it is, I'm constantly thinking about the next irritating and/or gamebreaking glitch I'm going to encounter.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Derek
Posts: 2178
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:15 am UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Derek » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:07 am UTC

PeteP wrote:
SlyReaper wrote:Picked up Tomb Raider on the cheap because it has been getting good reviews. My review of the first couple of hour's play: holy quick-time events, Batman! This game is stuffed full of them. At first it's like "press left-right-left-right" then suddenly it's "Press the F key! But not yet; you have to wait until the rapidly shrinking circle is inside the other circle!" And it sometimes makes you do that a number of times before going "Mash the E button now too late you're dead!". It's practically impossible to get past some of those on the first go. I had to do one with a wolf in a cave about 10 times before finally getting past it. Most times, it wasn't clear what I'd done wrong. So fucking frustrating.

Don't worry the next generation of games will have automatic quick time events where you can't lose!

Referring to this, perhaps?

User avatar
Coin
Posts: 884
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:21 pm UTC
Location: Uppsala
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Coin » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 am UTC

Yay, I finally bought Crusader Kings 2 =) (75% flash sale on for another 40 min)
I've been waiting a long time for that because of money and time issues, but now it's finally mine.
I shall enjoy it greatly.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

EmptySet
Posts: 1196
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:33 am UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EmptySet » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:44 am UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Picked up Dust Elysium Tail. Seems like it would be a really nice game if it wasn't so heavily riddled with bugs. It refuses to start with my triple screens active, so I have to disable my eyefinity setup every time I start the game. I also had to uninstall some windows security update to solve a problem with cutscenes having the top half of the video blacked out. So while I'd really like to just sit back and enjoy the game for what it is, I'm constantly thinking about the next irritating and/or gamebreaking glitch I'm going to encounter.


For what it's worth, I bought it earlier and didn't find it particularly bug-ridden. I had a single crash-to-desktop, but aside from that everything worked perfectly. Maybe it just has issues with multiple monitors?

User avatar
You, sir, name?
Posts: 6983
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:07 am UTC
Location: Chako Paul City
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby You, sir, name? » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am UTC

I miss the days when I was a poor student and didn't already own everything worthwhile on steam. Steam sales were so much fun back then :-(
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

JudeMorrigan
Posts: 1251
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:26 pm UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby JudeMorrigan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:24 am UTC

Coin wrote:Yay, I finally bought Crusader Kings 2 =) (75% flash sale on for another 40 min)
I've been waiting a long time for that because of money and time issues, but now it's finally mine.
I shall enjoy it greatly.

Yeah, I jumped on that one myself. Pity Old Gods wasn't on sale, but I suppose one can't have everything. And the base game and other DLCs should keep me busy for a while anyways.

User avatar
SecondTalon
SexyTalon
Posts: 26208
Joined: Sat May 05, 2007 2:10 pm UTC
Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Mars. HA!
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:30 pm UTC

philsov wrote:No. He was right the first time :mrgreen: . 4 is the best; character creation quiz, sandboxy world (no main storyline or villain to speak of), day/night/lunar cycles... mmmm.
Clearly, you were the villain.

God, I love Nakar's series on Ultima. I really do. He did 4, 5 & 6 there, Martian Dreams and Ultima 7 and 7 part 2. All as Steve, the Asshole. Avatar. Steve the Avatar. Funny how those keys are all, like, right next to each other.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EvanED » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:41 pm UTC

I'm gonna get Gunpoint. Question is... what one?

Anyone have any opinions on whether the special/exclusive editions are worth it? (The first provides soundtrack and commentary; the second also provides a making-of and prototype versions.)

Edit, damn I wasn't paying attention and missed the end of the flash sale. Oh well, I'll pick it up later. But that means input is still useful. :-)

User avatar
Jorpho
Posts: 6207
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:16 am UTC

Soundtracks have never struck me as a worthwhile incentive. If the music isn't just sitting there in the game's directory as mp3 files, it is surely in some easily-extracted format.

Also, do you really have enough time that you're going to go poking at nine different prototype versions? I find it questionable whether I'll ever get to the game at all, sigh.

By the way, I find it odd that Mortal Kombat hasn't gone on sale at all yet. Apparently GreenManGaming has a 30% off code if you've been looking for that; however, the game also apparently has some framerate issues.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EvanED » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:40 am UTC

I might be pretty interested in the commentary, and fairly interested in the making-of. I'd probably dabble in the prototypes, but I'm not sure how much. It's too bad I can't make a special edition with the commentary and making-of. :-)

(Also it doesn't appear like this is true for Gunpoint, but for a lot of the games the soundtrack will be better-put-together from a listening standpoint than if you just extract the music. Mass Effect 2 is a particularly good example -- it leaves out some music, but it puts together a lot of cues that are usually around a minute long into tracks that are several minutes. Furthermore, music for pre-rendered cutscenes is often just mixed into the video and not available separately as well. Again in Mass Effect, this happens with the music that plays as the Fifth Fleet comes in to save the council, AFAIK only available separately in this youtube video.)

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10156
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 am UTC

Well, I just got Deus Ex Human Evolution for $3. There goes my weekend.

I'm scared that I'm going to be that guy that buys like 10 games a month because they are such great deals but never play them. I already bought Age of Wonders 1 and 2 despite playing them only for a few hours (I wanted a newer MoM, and while the games were OK, they just didn't have that Je nais se quoi).

It's a great business model, really. If I really am going to get the game when it comes out, like Skyrim or XCom, I get it. If not, I'd probably never buy it. But at $5, how can I not buy that game I might've been interested in but didn't really care to pre-order? It's not like I'm going to wait for the game I want to randomly appear as a Steam deal 6 months later.

User avatar
WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No
Posts: 506
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:03 pm UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 am UTC

I've been wanting to play Skyrim for a while now, but shied away from it because my old computer simply couldn't handle it (and I no longer have consoles or the money to buy them). I recently picked up a newer (but still old) computer that has the minimum specs necessary to play it, so I ask:

1.) Is it worth it to try to play on minimum settings, or should I wait for something bigger and better once I get a bigger/better comp?

2.) Is it a good enough game (I am a fan of Morrowind and Oblivion, never played Daggerfall or Arena) that I should pick it up NOW NOW NOW, or should I wait and see if it goes on a better sale in winter?

3.) If I'm going to buy it, am I better served by the "Legendary Edition" at 25% off ($45) or the basic version at 30% off ($21) and revisit DLC down the line? Assume I'm fairly strapped for cash, but not destitute.

Thanks for any opinions offered.

EvanED
Posts: 4331
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:28 am UTC
Location: Madison, WI
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EvanED » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:22 am UTC

I don't know about how Skyrim worked, but I got Dragon Age: Origins last winter sale (or maybe the one before?) and had to decide between the normal version or the one with all the DLC. I went with the normal version. I "regretted" it later, and re-bought the Ultimate Edition at a later sale, because even that was rather less expensive than getting the DLC directly from Bioware.

User avatar
Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep
Posts: 720
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:06 am UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Nylonathatep » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Considering you already played Morrowind and Oblivion, you should know that Skyrim has similar gameplay, complete with the massive Enchanting Buff lawlz. Gameplay wise I've heard its superior then Oblivion but doesn't top Morrowind.

I dunno the specs for Skyrim offhand, but I got my computer two years ago and it handles Skyrim Fine.

I picked up Skyrim "Legendary Edition". I previously got Morrowind but never went really far into it. No bad so far.

User avatar
CorruptUser
Posts: 10156
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:12 pm UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 am UTC

I've bought Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim (and downloaded Arena and Daggerfall; got bored halfway through Arena's minimum security prison and never got very far in Daggerfall). Sorry outlanders, Skyrim's milkdrinkers enjoy the best gameplay.

Daggerfall has the most customization of your character (protip: High elves are immune to paralyzation, even if you choose weakness to paralyzation, for all your minmaxing needs).

Morrowind does beat the others in regards to equipment; you can wear boots, greaves, breastplate, left and right pauldrons (they are separate), helmet, left and right gloves, left and right rings, necklace, shirt, pants, and skirt all at the same time. And they are all enchantable. Compare that to Skyrim's mere 6 items. Well, 7 items (falmer helm can be worn with a circlet), but that's arguably a bug.

It is nice seeing some of the previous characters of Morrowind make appearances in the later games, such as the scamp merchant from Morrowind, though you won't know he's in Skyrim unless you've done a few daedric quests in Oblivion.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby emceng » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:22 pm UTC

My general thoughts on the series Morrowind > Skyrim > Daggerfall >>> Oblivion and Arena

Oblivion and Arena get a bad rating because Arena is too old for me to enjoy, even when I bought it in about 1997. Oblivion because of their shitty auto leveled enemies and boring repetitive Oblivion gate quests. It was just a big grind fest.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:57 pm UTC

I've been away - is there going to be a better time to get Borderlands 2 than today?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:I've been away - is there going to be a better time to get Borderlands 2 than today?

It could come up as a daily/flash/community choice sale - I think it's been 66% off already, so I'd hold out for that happening again, and buy on the last day of the sale if it doesn't.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:03 pm UTC

PhoenixEnigma wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:I've been away - is there going to be a better time to get Borderlands 2 than today?

It could come up as a daily/flash/community choice sale - I think it's been 66% off already, so I'd hold out for that happening again, and buy on the last day of the sale if it doesn't.

This. It's basic steam sale strategy. Unless it's on a flash sale or daily deal, then it's best to wait it out to see if it gets more of a discount. If it doesn't, then buy it on the last day of the sale and you'll have lost nothing.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

If I already have Borderlands, and nobody to play Borderlands 2 with, is it worth getting?
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 pm UTC

You won't die because an enemy is hidden just a metre around a corner, denying you a second wind. WORTH IT. :P
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:32 am UTC

And of course they put Eve Online at 75% off so I can once again debate whether or not to buy it. On one hand, I do enjoy an mmo where I can keep leveling up a character and doing things. On the other, I'm always uneasy about investing in an mmo. Particularly at the moment when I don't have an income and the Internet here sucks. But, I would at least already have bought it at a decent discount.

Spambot5546
Posts: 1466
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:34 pm UTC

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Spambot5546 » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:24 pm UTC

If it helps, EVE is an MMO where you can theoretically never pay for it. People buy time codes and sell them in-game. I think they're about 600m right now, which takes 6 to 12 hours to earn, depending on what you do for money-making.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:29 pm UTC

600mil? Wow, that's gone up a lot since I played.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3648
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:34 pm UTC

Wow, the Steam market has been pretty good to me.

Starting with 24 dollars and selling trading cards along the way, I've been able to buy Universe Sandbox, The Dishonored DLC, Mark of the Ninja, Monaco and XCOM. I've got $3 left in my wallet and with the number of trading card drops I've got left, should be able to make another dollar or two before the end of the sale.

Adding up my previous transactions, so far I've made about 65 dollars by selling Team Fortress 2 items and Steam trading cards.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Mr. Mack
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:26 am UTC
Location: If I must.

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Mr. Mack » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:51 pm UTC

Thanks for that EdgarJPublius. When I saw the little "sell" icon on my inventory, I thought Valve was being delusional. After I read your post I sold off a bunch of my old TF2 junk for a few dollars. Though I think I'm going to wait until the summer sale is over before I sell my trading cards. Selling them now would be like selling fallen leaves in the middle of autumn, instead of waiting until winter.

Unrelated, I have two 10% off coupons for Toki Tori 2+. If anyone wants one, just let me know and it's yours.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SlyReaper » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:57 pm UTC

Only two? I had four of them land in my inventory a few days ago. I'll never use them, so likewise, if anyone wants them...
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3648
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:51 am UTC

Mr. Mack wrote:Thanks for that EdgarJPublius. When I saw the little "sell" icon on my inventory, I thought Valve was being delusional. After I read your post I sold off a bunch of my old TF2 junk for a few dollars. Though I think I'm going to wait until the summer sale is over before I sell my trading cards. Selling them now would be like selling fallen leaves in the middle of autumn, instead of waiting until winter.

Unrelated, I have two 10% off coupons for Toki Tori 2+. If anyone wants one, just let me know and it's yours.



Yea, I'm saving a few cards for later (also crafted a few Tf2 badges to get level 10 so I'd be eligible for booster pack drops) but I figure that during the sale the wallet funds will go further.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:53 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:Thanks for that EdgarJPublius. When I saw the little "sell" icon on my inventory, I thought Valve was being delusional. After I read your post I sold off a bunch of my old TF2 junk for a few dollars. Though I think I'm going to wait until the summer sale is over before I sell my trading cards. Selling them now would be like selling fallen leaves in the middle of autumn, instead of waiting until winter.

Unrelated, I have two 10% off coupons for Toki Tori 2+. If anyone wants one, just let me know and it's yours.



Yea, I'm saving a few cards for later (also crafted a few Tf2 badges to get level 10 so I'd be eligible for booster pack drops) but I figure that during the sale the wallet funds will go further.


So this TF2 badge makes you eligible for drops of items that would conceivably sell for more? Because honestly, the moment I saw cards were salable I finally had a use for them.

User avatar
PhoenixEnigma
Posts: 2303
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:11 am UTC
Location: Sasquatchawan, Canada
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:00 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:Thanks for that EdgarJPublius. When I saw the little "sell" icon on my inventory, I thought Valve was being delusional. After I read your post I sold off a bunch of my old TF2 junk for a few dollars. Though I think I'm going to wait until the summer sale is over before I sell my trading cards. Selling them now would be like selling fallen leaves in the middle of autumn, instead of waiting until winter.

Unrelated, I have two 10% off coupons for Toki Tori 2+. If anyone wants one, just let me know and it's yours.



Yea, I'm saving a few cards for later (also crafted a few Tf2 badges to get level 10 so I'd be eligible for booster pack drops) but I figure that during the sale the wallet funds will go further.


So this TF2 badge makes you eligible for drops of items that would conceivably sell for more? Because honestly, the moment I saw cards were salable I finally had a use for them.

Badges give you XP. XP gives you levels. Every 10 levels, your drop rate for card booster packs increases by 20%, but you can get booster packs with no levels at all, as I understand it.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

User avatar
EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy
Posts: 3648
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:56 am UTC
Location: where the wind takes me

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:10 pm UTC

Originally (like during and shortly after the trading card beta) you had to be level 10 to have a chance at foils, and I believe when booster packs were announced they were also limited to level 10+, but it seems those restrictions have been removed and the only advantage of higher levels is increased booster pack drop probabilities.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

User avatar
bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:29 pm UTC
Location: Airstrip One

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

Right, Borderlands 2 is back. What do I want, base game + season pas?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

User avatar
SlyReaper
inflatable
Posts: 8015
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:09 pm UTC
Location: Bristol, Old Blighty

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:42 pm UTC

Is Torchlight 2 worth a punt for £3.74? I had some modicum of fun with the first one, but got bored with it before completing it. It was just endless dungeon after dungeon with no indication I was ever getting close to a conclusion.
Image
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

User avatar
Znirk
Posts: 174
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 am UTC
Location: ZZ9 plural Z α

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Znirk » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:02 pm UTC

bigglesworth wrote:Right, Borderlands 2 is back. What do I want, base game + season pass?

I'm pretty sure nobody understands the DLC options for Borderlands 2. And yes, I do include in this the people who wrote the descriptions on Steam.

Right now, the situation seems to be this: The season pass, which according to the description contains three actual DLC items and one "2nd playthrough" option, is reduced 33%. Thing is, three of the four individual packages in the season pass are currently marked down 66%; so apparently instead of buying the pass for €20.09, you can instead buy the contents individually for €15.16.

Except the above may be wrong, because I don't know what's really in the Season Pass package. There's no list of contents that I can see. There's the description mentioning the titles of other DLC, but no indication whether that's all there is.

So what I did was buy the base game, and ignore all DLC until they get themselves organised and begin to tell their customers what it is they're selling. You may take this as advice, or point fingers and laugh; your choice.

User avatar
existential_elevator
The awesomest one!
Posts: 3328
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 am UTC
Location: The Ocean of Regret
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby existential_elevator » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:23 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:Is Torchlight 2 worth a punt for £3.74? I had some modicum of fun with the first one, but got bored with it before completing it. It was just endless dungeon after dungeon with no indication I was ever getting close to a conclusion.

Yes.
It's the same sort of thing, but there is no endless going down in a dungeon. There's actual environmental variety. You may still get bored, but hey. It'll keep you amused for a while.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Just a heads up. The Pre-order for Worms Clans is 25% off on steam and you get a free copy of Worms Revolution with purchase. Clans comes out on the 15th.

User avatar
emceng
Posts: 3167
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 9:38 pm UTC
Location: State of Hockey
Contact:

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby emceng » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:53 pm UTC

Thief 2 is 75% off on steam! Only $1.74!
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

User avatar
SurgicalSteel
Posts: 1926
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:18 pm UTC
Location: DMV, USA

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:01 am UTC

So is the Thief Collection, which nabs you Thief Gold, Thief II and Thief: Deadly Shadows. For a little under 5 bucks.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests