Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Will » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:11 pm UTC

Also, the Humble Bundle just launched their store, and they have some games on sale. I took the opportunity to pick up Don't Starve and Gunpoint for 1/2 off.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:20 am UTC

emceng wrote:Steam is having a sale this week, new deals every day at 10 AM PST. Debating whether to spend $5 on Gunpoint, which is kind of dumb, consideirng it should give me 10+ hours of entertainment, and I may go pay $10 to see Ender's Game for 2 hours.
\
Also, Gunpoint is on my wishlist, but steam didn't email me that it was on sale. Why not?

I believe that's this week's weekly deal - every Monday at 10amPST they put a bunch of games on sale for a week...

Will

Postby Will » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:10 pm UTC

Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale Steam sale

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:28 pm UTC

And there's nothing worth buying.

Well, there is, but I already have those games.

This has happened on most recent steam sales.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Will

Postby Will » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

I have a few games (15, in fact) that I've been putting off buying for this sale. Fortunately, every single one of them is now on sale!

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:29 am UTC

My old comp probably can't play Skyrim, but at sale price, it's like emceng said: I went to see "Day of the Doctor" in 3D Monday night and spent twice as much, so it seems silly to brush it off at $7.50. Even if I can't play Skyrim now, I should get a new computer at some point in the future, and I think I will want it at that time.

PhoenixEnigma

Postby PhoenixEnigma » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:35 am UTC

Will wrote:I have a few games (15, in fact) that I've been putting off buying for this sale. Fortunately, every single one of them is now on sale!

Just remember (not specifically you, but a general reminder to all) to wait for anything your interested in to go on a flash or daily sale and only pick it up at the general sale price on the last day if it doesn't.
"Optimism, pessimism, fuck that; we're going to make it happen. As God is my bloody witness, I'm hell-bent on making it work." -Elon Musk
Shivahn wrote:I am a motherfucking sorceror.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 am UTC

No Ducktales yet, darn it.

It's the first time I can remember Ms Splosion Man going on sale, though – I've been watching for that one for a while.

And Deathspank has finally gone on sale for the first time in eighteen months. That would be quite something if it hadn't just been in a Humble Bundle.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:41 am UTC

Hmm, it costs me less to buy the Skyrim Legendary edition than it would to buy the DLC for the copy of the game I already own. Still not sure if I want to actually buy it, though.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:06 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:Hmm, it costs me less to buy the Skyrim Legendary edition than it would to buy the DLC for the copy of the game I already own. Still not sure if I want to actually buy it, though.

For a tenner... it's pushing it, but it depends how much you like Skyrim. If you really liked Skyrim, you'll really like the DLCs, because they're more of the same, but if you didn't it might be worth waiting before they become a little cheaper.

Personally, I've got a list of 10 games I'm waiting on - fairly certain they'll be on sale, only question is for how much. On that note, if you do have a goo idea of what you want out of this sale, it's worth putting those games on your Steam wishlist. You'll get an email every time one of your games goes on sale :)
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:08 am UTC

I think for four bucks, I'll finally bite for FFVII.

I'm kind of on the fence about X-COM. I hear it's great, but is it ten dollars great?

Don't forget to use "Purchase as a Gift" to store games you don't plan on playing right away in your Steam Inventory, where they can be conveniently traded if necessary.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:43 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I'm kind of on the fence about X-COM. I hear it's great, but is it ten dollars great?

Compared to the original X-Com: UFO Defense, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a lot more gamey and a lot less of a simulation. For example, rank structures: the original has a pyramid structure where you need a certain number of soldiers before any of them can be promoted to high rank, and any holes in the table of organisation will be filled by promotion as quickly as possible; the new version lets each soldier gain ranks as they level up independently of the rest of the organisation, so you can end up with 6 Colonels and no other ranks. In the original, during tactical missions, aliens would move around the map, generally following the same rules as your units; the new version has most of the aliens as static groups until you awaken them - at which point they get a free move to take cover - and a couple of roving groups that teleport around the map and can appear in previously swept areas - or even in the middle of your formation...

There are a lot of elements that are generally improvements - the streamlined TUs, for example (each of your soldiers can take one action each turn, and can also move up to a reasonable distance before their action); or the benefits of most of two decades of technology advancement like voice acting, cutscenes, 3D graphics, better animation, better sound, improved interface design, etc.

Overall, if you go in looking to recapture the original game, you'll be disappointed. If you accept it as a modern game inspired by the original, then you'll probably enjoy it a lot. It has its flaws and annoyances, and some bits are not just hard but downright unfair, but it has enough of the original's magic to be worth a look.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:18 pm UTC

Thank you for that. Considering I never even got around to playing the original, I suppose I should hold off.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:25 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:Thank you for that. Considering I never even got around to playing the original, I suppose I should hold off.

If you never played the original, then I say that's a good reason to get this new one. Most of the complaints I've heard about it seem to boil down to it being different from the original.

Speaking for myself, I very much enjoyed Enemy Unknown, and although I own a copy of the original XCOM, I've never worked out how to play it.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:37 pm UTC

I'm pretty sure there's a demo on the 360 also. I would think this kind of game, even trying it on a different system should give you a good idea of how you'll feel about it. If you like it on console, chances are you'd like it even more on PC with a mouse and keyboard.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:42 am UTC

I might change my mind later, but I just can't bring myself to drop a tenner so I can append it to my scary, scary backlog.

I should add that Amazon.com is still selling it for the same price, but also bundled with the rest of the series:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ECHYTKY/

I keep hearing the original is riddled with obnoxious bugs that never got fixed, and I'm still not clear if the digital download version fixed any of them.

emceng

Postby emceng » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:21 am UTC

I am getting annoyed with their sale. I have 20+ games on my wishlist, and not one has been a daily deal or flash sale. I hate this because I don't want to have to wait until the last day of the sale to buy the damned games. I've been patient this long, and I've grown weary of it.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:30 pm UTC

Why not tell us more about the games you're looking for?

Nylonathatep
NOT Nyarlathotep

Postby Nylonathatep » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

I got Total War Rome II for it's regular price.. and now 2 months later it's 29.99 FML :(

Salewise nothing has caught my eye. I'm more of a sim and builder person.

Derek

Postby Derek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Nylonathatep wrote:I got Total War Rome II for it's regular price.. and now 2 months later it's 29.99 FML :(

Salewise nothing has caught my eye. I'm more of a sim and builder person.

I definitely saw Prison Architect on sale earlier.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:17 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I keep hearing the original is riddled with obnoxious bugs that never got fixed, and I'm still not clear if the digital download version fixed any of them.

The main bug in the original is that the difficulty reset to the easiest every time you ran the game - there were also occasional crashes but I never found one that cost me a save file...

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

The one that got me was in the final mission. A door refused to open. I figured it must be locked and there might be a switch in the room. Nope. Looked up a walkthrough and it turns out that door is just supposed to open the same as any other. Got to love it throwing a game breaking bug at me on the last God damned mission of the game.

I never did complete it.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Ahh, Blood Dragon is on sale for its lowest price ever. I'm not much of an FPS person, but it seems to have a certain appeal.

Derek wrote:I definitely saw Prison Architect on sale earlier.
I hear it's quite the piece of social commentary, that one.

rmsgrey wrote:The main bug in the original is that the difficulty reset to the easiest every time you ran the game - there were also occasional crashes but I never found one that cost me a save file...
So... Did that ever get fixed one way or another?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:47 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:The main bug in the original is that the difficulty reset to the easiest every time you ran the game - there were also occasional crashes but I never found one that cost me a save file...
So... Did that ever get fixed one way or another?

I've seen reports of fixes around, but nothing I'd consider reliable claiming that any commercial re-release was patched.

The second game reportedly had the same bug, and I've seen conflicting reports over whether it's reversed (and reverts to insanely difficult) or it still reverts to easy, but the difficulty in general got cranked up to insane... The second game also had a bug in the research tree which meant it was possible to be unable to unlock the research that unlocked the endgame if you researched the wrong things (or in the wrong order) - I dimly remember rumours of that being patched in various versions, though again nothing reliable.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:49 am UTC

Sounds like a good argument to avoid the original. :lol:

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:31 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:Sounds like a good argument to avoid the original. :lol:

It's still better than many of the sequels, clones and remakes, bugs and all...

Of course, that's probably partly nostalgia - Apocalypse is also often touted as the best X-Com game though it had its own flaws - and the biggest flaw of recent releases is the lack of the manual...

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:01 am UTC

Woo, got Last Light. Hopefully at least one other game will go on sale out of the ones I'm waiting for :P
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:33 am UTC

I'm hoping for Skyrim LE and Assassin's Creed 3. Still doubting whether to buy Far Cry 3 or not.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:52 pm UTC

rmsgrey wrote:

Of course, that's probably partly nostalgia - Apocalypse is also often touted as the best X-Com game though it had its own flaws - and the biggest flaw of recent releases is the lack of the manual...

Hmm, I should see if I have a soft copy of the manual laying around. I wish I could go back and play apocalypse, but it was buggy when I first played it, and my current machine won't run it for some reasaon.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:47 pm UTC

emceng wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Hmm, I should see if I have a soft copy of the manual laying around. I wish I could go back and play apocalypse, but it was buggy when I first played it, and my current machine won't run it for some reasaon.

Apocalypse should work if you have it on Steam. If not, it takes a bit of fiddling about, but you can get it running through DosBox.

Unless you've already tried all that and I'm talking out of my arse...

Apocalypse was the first computer game I ever bought for myself, and I ran it on a Windows 95 laptop. Awesome game, and loads of nostalgia value. Never really got on with the previous two games.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:57 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:
emceng wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Apocalypse should work if you have it on Steam. If not, it takes a bit of fiddling about, but you can get it running through DosBox.

Unless you've already tried all that and I'm talking out of my arse...

Apocalypse was the first computer game I ever bought for myself, and I ran it on a Windows 95 laptop. Awesome game, and loads of nostalgia value. Never really got on with the previous two games.

Don't have it on steam, because I hate paying for things I already own. Tried dosbox, tried some other emulator and can't get the disc version to work. So said fuck it, I've got better things to do with my time.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:35 pm UTC

The U-play store is doing a cybermonday sale here. Most of the deals aren't that good, especially compared to Steam's Daily/Flash deals, but AC3 is currently 75% off ($7.50) and Crysis 3 is 50% off ($14.99)

I'm torn, do I wait for AC3 to maybe go on sale through steam and risk paying double the current U-play sale price if it doesn't? Or do I snap up the u-play deal, engaging with yet another online game sales platform and risk it going on deeper discount through Steam tomorrow?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Or do I snap up the u-play deal, engaging with yet another online game sales platform and risk it going on deeper discount through Steam tomorrow?
I'm pretty sure you have to use UPlay to play AC3 either way if that matters.

Unless you just mean the actual store portion of the software.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:06 pm UTC

Yea, the software itself is dumb and I wish I didn't have to deal with it when I want to play AC2 or AssBro, but I more don't want to mess with the store and entering my CC information and etc.

Speaking of obnoxious online storefronts, anybody know how I can buy Mass Effect 3 DLCs for PC without having to buy Bioware's monopoly money first?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:24 pm UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Yea, the software itself is dumb and I wish I didn't have to deal with it when I want to play AC2 or AssBro, but I more don't want to mess with the store and entering my CC information and etc.

Speaking of obnoxious online storefronts, anybody know how I can buy Mass Effect 3 DLCs for PC without having to buy Bioware's monopoly money first?

Nope, it's monopoly money or nowt. Spend the remainder on equipment packs in the multiplayer section.

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm UTC

Oh man, I forgot you could use monopoly points to buy equipment packs.

The one thing that can overcome my loathing of real-money-for-fake-points-for-games schemes is my love of cracking booster packs.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 pm UTC

Zarq wrote:I'm hoping for Skyrim LE and Assassin's Creed 3. Still doubting whether to buy Far Cry 3 or not.

Skyrim happened in the first day of the sale :/ Best you can hope for is to catch it on another flash.

Anyway, aw yiss Tomb Raider :D And maybe the Stanley Parable. I'm not sure, a sixer seems a bit much for something that I've already half-played for free with the mod.

Zarq

Postby Zarq » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:55 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Zarq wrote:I'm hoping for Skyrim LE and Assassin's Creed 3. Still doubting whether to buy Far Cry 3 or not.

Skyrim happened in the first day of the sale :/ Best you can hope for is to catch it on another flash.

Anyway, aw yiss Tomb Raider :D And maybe the Stanley Parable. I'm not sure, a sixer seems a bit much for something that I've already half-played for free with the mod.

Oh, I know. I just want the LE at -75%.
You rang?

"It is better to shit yourself, than to die of constipation." - Some picture on reddit

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:56 pm UTC

If it helps, I have Far Cry 3 on the 360 and it's a lot of fun even though I've only done a couple of the story missions. I've been mostly hunting, clearing out enemy bases and doing various other side-quests. I paid 20 bucks for it and do not regret it at all.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:47 am UTC

GreenManGaming now has Ducktales on sale for 50% off, the cheapest it's ever been so far - plus there's another 20% off code on top of that.

I think The Stanley Parable can wait a bit.

Return to “Gaming”