Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SurgicalSteel

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SurgicalSteel » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:33 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
Mr. Mack wrote:I have a 25% off Broken Age coupon available to anyone who wants it. I got two, so I might end up giving away the other one, but I'm not there quite yet.
For some reason I have four and I am more than happy to part with them all.
I wonder if they just gave them to anyone with a Double Fine game in their library.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:21 am UTC

Hawken (mech FPS that's unfortunately not Titanfall) is on Steam now!

I'm finding it pretty damn fun.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:09 pm UTC

zzz unlock grind bullshit.
Maybe I'll look at it when I don't have to pay.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

I picked up Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier during the Ubisoft Weekend thingy.

I've always been a big fan of the Tom Clancy games, but for various reasons just never picked up these two before.

I remember the first Rainbow Six: Vegas game fondly, me and my Brother used to play hours of Coop. And I must say, Vegas 2 has not disappointed me so far. For being ~6 years old, the friendly AI is impressive in it's ability to be useful without getting in my way, though it could be a bit more responsive to orders.

I don't particularly miss the planning stage from earlier Rainbow Six games, possibly because I can get my fill of that stuff from Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers now.

It's a dumb shooter to be sure, but it compares very favorably to the recent Call of Duty games, with open maps, AI-driven and oreder-able (not scripted) team-mates, and punishingly low health. Also, I noticed you can choose a female main character. Aren't the Call of Duty developers still claiming it's too difficult 'technologically' to have two different kinds of player models?

I haven't messed around much with Future Soldier. The mouse is extremely floaty at 1080p resolution so I may have to see if there's a fix or workaround before I can actually get into it.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't particularly miss the planning stage from earlier Rainbow Six games...
I loved the planning stages... Vegas seemed less like a Rainbow Six game and just another shooter... Didn't it even have a health meter? Man what I would give for a true successor to the old games.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:44 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:I don't particularly miss the planning stage from earlier Rainbow Six games...
I loved the planning stages... Vegas seemed less like a Rainbow Six game and just another shooter... Didn't it even have a health meter? Man what I would give for a true successor to the old games.
I also loved the planning stages of RS3. (And as a result, I thought I'd like Frozen Synapse a lot more than I actually did.) Vegas also has regenerating health... which basically means it's not a RS game. </flamebait> :-)

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 am UTC

I loved the planning stages as well. It's just that now I can get my fix of Planing Stage type stuff whenever I want from games like Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers (which are both fantastic by the way, highly recommend. Door Kickers is still in alpha/early access and promises to only get better)

Since I can play the Planning stage without the Rainbow Six, I don't really feel that a Rainbow Six minus the planning stage is really 'missing' anything.

There isn't a health Bar in Vegas or Vegas 2 and you can still die in one hit if you're not careful, so I'm not really sure if there's regenerating health. It feels just as punishing as I remember the old Rainbow Six games being.

Really, I'm no purist, I think Vegas 2 is a slick, fun, smarter-than-average-but-still-kinda-dumb shooter.
It scratches a particular itch I've been dealing with for a while now in a satisfying way and that's all I can ask of it really.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 am UTC

This seems to me like it's getting a bit far afield; if it goes on much more we should probably move threads.

EdgarJPublius wrote:I loved the planning stages as well. It's just that now I can get my fix of Planing Stage type stuff whenever I want from games like Frozen Synapse and Door Kickers (which are both fantastic by the way, highly recommend. Door Kickers is still in alpha/early access and promises to only get better)

Since I can play the Planning stage without the Rainbow Six, I don't really feel that a Rainbow Six minus the planning stage is really 'missing' anything.
I'll have to check out Door Kickers; thanks for letting me know.

But at the same time, I think your last argument basically boils down to "I can eat scoops of peanut butter out of the jar, and I can eat slices of bread, so why would I put them together?" :-) Let's see if I can figure out and articulate why I couldn't really get into Frozen Synapse. I think I had three problems with it, both on its own and as compared to Rainbow Six 3. The first was just that I wasn't a fan of the grenades and rockets; I think this plays into the second as well. The second is themeing; something like RS3 has a strong and attractive theme. I could put myself into the role of characters in the game, pretend I was actually this elite anti-terrorism dude, etc. Frozen Synapse... well, that wasn't true, at least for me.

The third thing is the most interesting, and closet to my analogy above. Which is that as I reflect on it, what I realize that RS3 has is a wonderful mix of problem solving and execution skill. During the planning phase you get to problem solve based on observations you made during the last execution round (assuming you're retrying and not just moving on even though you lost 3/4 of your squads), and during the execution phase you "have to" be on your toes so you don't get shot. And not only is there a nice mix, but you can even mix and match as desired: at one extreme you can set up instructions for the whole level during the planning phase and just go into observer mode and do nothing but hit the occasional 'go' code (entirely problem solving), and at the other you could go willy-nilly into the level with no (formal) plan at all, and just walk around the map by yourself or switching between a couple squads (almost entirely execution). The same game with the same levels can give what I would consider three very different experiences, and all of them can be pretty cool (although I definitely like the center of that spectrum the best). This same problem solving/execution balance is the main thing I praise Portal for, which is basically my favorite game ever: you don't need much in the way of execution skill to play it and have an amazing time, but at the same time having the ability to do harder stuff opens up lots of possibilities for alternative ways to solve puzzles, speedrunning, or just doing random crap because you can. And you go to Frozen Synapse... and even though it has a great problem solving mechanism, the execution part of that equation is missing entirely. Conversely, most FPSs (which by my understanding includes Vegas -- I haven't really played it even though it's in my Steam library because I had problems getting it to run) fall very closely on the "execution" end of the spectrum, with little of the problem solving.

And while both problem solving and execution can be fun on their own, if you combine them really well like RS3 or Portal I think you get something really special.

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Offers Pokemon X or Y for free at Club Nintendo. Requires you to register a 3DS/3DS XL/2DS and one of six games (Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D, Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins, or Yoshi's New Island). Lasts until March 31.

Note:
- Cannot have registered the system or game prior to the promotion.
- Find your 3DS's PIN number. Came in the box.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:34 pm UTC

I just wish they would release a Pokemon game for android, or maybe a windows app...

I know, it won't happen as long as Nintendo's handhelds survive, but I can dream.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:55 am UTC

Saints Row 4 is $13 American until the 18th.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Sat May 03, 2014 11:57 pm UTC

Are either of the Force Unleashed games worth $7? Always wanted to try them, but then I see the review scores and wonder if it's better to save that money.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue May 06, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:Are either of the Force Unleashed games worth $7? Always wanted to try them, but then I see the review scores and wonder if it's better to save that money.

I enjoyed the first quite a bit. Don't recall playing the second. Was it an amazing game? No. But there was neat stuff - shooting lightning at enemies, smashing them with force powers, dismembering with a lightsaber, etc. On the one hand $7 seems reasonable, but on the other, I have been spoiled by steam sales, and think more than $5 for anything but a marquis game is too much.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

EdgarJPublius

Postby EdgarJPublius » Tue May 06, 2014 4:05 pm UTC

The first one was pretty fun. Some of the Ultimate Sith Edition extra missions I really enjoyed.

Unless it's been fixed though, there's a part that's extremely frustrating to complete with a keyboard and mouse. You don't need a controller for the rest of the game, but I highly recommend you have on available for that part.

I haven't played the second game either, I heard it wasn't as good as the first.
Roosevelt wrote:

Yes.

stickler

Postby stickler » Tue May 06, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Kerbal Space Program is 40% off (£11.99). It is still £2 more than than I would like for a game I don't think I will play with that often. Hmmm...

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Tue May 06, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

I have a coupon for 66% off Conquest of Elysium 3, free to a good home.
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Mon May 12, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

http://www.gog.com/ gog games is having their insomnia sale, lots of very short, limited deals.
418 I'm a teapot

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Tue May 20, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

The Humble Bundle store is having a sale until tomorrow. Literally 22 hours left to get some pretty good deals on some games. I... got more games than I'd care to admit yesterday.

And they're doing daily humble bundles until next Monday. That might also be something to look at.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

stickler

Postby stickler » Tue May 20, 2014 7:25 pm UTC

Thank-you. I just brought:
Far Cry 3 Deluxe Edition,
FTL: Faster Than Light,
Just Cause 2 and
Surgeon Simulator 2013.

Unfortunately I didn't realise that Far Cry 3 wasn't on Steam :(. Still, the lot was only £13.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Tue May 20, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

I just realised that the Humble Bundle sale means Dominique Pamplemousse is cheaper now - I've been pretty interested in that game, thanks for the reminder!
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Tue May 20, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

I bought Crusader Kings II+DLC yesterday as part of the store's summer sale. I was a bit annoyed to find that today's daily bundle was Crusader Kings i, an ebook, and Crusader Kings II+DLC. Had I waited an extra day, I could've gotten so much more...

I got an email today saying that Humble Bundle, of their own prerogative, decided to just gift me the ebook and CKI because I bought CKII yesterday. Humble Bundle is good folks.

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 pm UTC

I've heard that CKI is barely playable though.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Wed May 21, 2014 12:23 am UTC

Then at least I got unplayable garbage for free, out of the kindness of their cold, robotic corporation heart. And an ebook of unknown quality.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed May 21, 2014 5:45 am UTC

There are almost too many bundles to keep track of these days.

The latest IndieGala Monday bundle is sort of interesting in that it includes EVE Burst Error, which dates back a good many years and is renowned as one of the few hentai games that is really worth playing – though apparently it has been sanitized this time around.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Wed May 21, 2014 5:26 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:one of the few hentai games that is really worth playing
Thank you so much for that part of the sentence. I was thinking this had something to do with Eve Online and was about to look it up at work.
--Flobots "Mayday"

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:23 pm UTC

Sniper Elite V2 is free on Steam today... haven't played it so no idea if it's any good, but woo free game!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/63380/a ... 1780917806
http://store.steampowered.com/app/63380/
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

New User

Postby New User » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:57 pm UTC

Thanks hendusoone. I would have missed out if it wasn't for you posting that here.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:42 pm UTC

System Shock 2 on GOG for $1.99 for LESS THAN ONE HOUR past the time of this post.

Buy it.

Also: Abe's Exoddus ($1.49) Papers Please ($2.99), Brutal Legend ($2.99), and Rainbow Six ($2.49)

Under 40 minutes left.

gogogogogo

to gog
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:42 pm UTC

Magrunner is also currently Free on GoG. And once added to your account, is only a ... 3 gig download.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:System Shock 2 on GOG for $1.99 for LESS THAN ONE HOUR past the time of this post.

Buy it.

Also: Abe's Exoddus ($1.49) Papers Please ($2.99), Brutal Legend ($2.99), and Rainbow Six ($2.49)

Under 40 minutes left.

gogogogogo

to gog

I got there late, but it's still only $5. So, done. Let's see if it's anything as good as people say.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:05 am UTC

Has anyone actually played Magrunner? Is it worth a playthrough?
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:29 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:I got there late, but it's still only $5. So, done. Let's see if it's anything as good as people say.
It will almost surely be $2.50 on Steam this week, if not lower. Remember folks, isthereanydeal.com is your friend.

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/p ... temshockii

ameretrifle
Vera

Postby ameretrifle » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:51 am UTC

Also, a whole lot of the flash sales have been repeating, though I kind of hate to say it. Some more frequently than others. So best policy might be to keep checking until just before the sale ends and grab it then if it's not come up on flash yet. The usual policy, I believe.

I do like that they're three hours instead of one hour like a lot of sites do. Have never bought anything from one of those; I just can't take the pressure.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:53 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:
WibblyWobbly wrote:I got there late, but it's still only $5. So, done. Let's see if it's anything as good as people say.
It will almost surely be $2.50 on Steam this week, if not lower. Remember folks, isthereanydeal.com is your friend.

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/p ... temshockii

For a difference of $2.50? Sure, it's nice, but I'm not going to cry about it. First game I've bought in a few months; if I were buying more or more frequently, I'd probably be more concerned about the best deal.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:07 am UTC

Anno 2070 is on sale for 8 bucks on Steam right now. If someone already has and enjoys Dawn of Discovery, is it Anno 2070 worth it? Or is it mostly just a palette swap?
--Flobots "Mayday"

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:48 am UTC

I don't have Dawn of Discovery, but I do have Anno 2070 (and expansion). It's pretty fun. You have 3 factions, the ruthless industrialists, the stupid hippies, and the absentminded researchers. You start with either the industrialists or the hippies, but you advance a bit to grab the researchers and a bit more to grab all 3 factions. You settle the islands, set up manufacturing, set up trade routes to grow your islands, build stuff and such. You also settle underwater 'islands' for various materials. The hippies grow more slowly but can enhance the health of the island for more farm production. The industrialists expand rapidly but depending on the setting will run out of materials fast. Researchers are expensive but build stuff to make your islands stronger. Resources can run out, but the researchers can make items to replenish them (e.g., you run out of iron ore, researchers create an item you use to add 5000 iron ore to the island).

Depending on the settings, you have several opponents that settle islands, and depending on their personality you can co-settle the islands or you have to destroy them. One of the hippies, for example, is a hard green and doesn't mind you settling and lets you rent stuff to have really healthy islands, but any bit of pollution and he freaks out.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:13 am UTC

Sounds different enough to be worth 8 bucks. Thanks for the detailed description.
--Flobots "Mayday"

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:43 am UTC

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is 85% off on Steam at £2.24! What a steal.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

WibblyWobbly
Can't Get No

Postby WibblyWobbly » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:29 am UTC

Hmm, does anyone think Goat Simulator is going to be discounted any more than 20%?

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:50 pm UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:Hmm, does anyone think Goat Simulator is going to be discounted any more than 20%?

Eugh, don't buy Goat simulator. Please. It's one of those "hey look at me I'm so random lol" type games. From what little I've seen of it, there's no humour to be had there.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Return to “Gaming”