Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

I'd pay a dollar for it. I don't own it, I'm just saying that's all I'd pay for it.

I mean, I bought that train game and a crapload of it's expansions for... I dunno, 8 bucks or something? And it was fun for... five or six hours and then I got bored of it. So entertainment accomplished.

But I think I'd rather play it than the Goat simulator as... I'm pretty sure Goat Sim'll get boring in a few hours. The Train Simulator has dozens of routes I've not done yet. Maybe hundreds, I really don't know.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:05 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I don't have Dawn of Discovery, but I do have Anno 2070 (and expansion). It's pretty fun. You have 3 factions, the ruthless industrialists, the stupid hippies, and the absentminded researchers. You start with either the industrialists or the hippies, but you advance a bit to grab the researchers and a bit more to grab all 3 factions. You settle the islands, set up manufacturing, set up trade routes to grow your islands, build stuff and such. You also settle underwater 'islands' for various materials. The hippies grow more slowly but can enhance the health of the island for more farm production. The industrialists expand rapidly but depending on the setting will run out of materials fast. Researchers are expensive but build stuff to make your islands stronger. Resources can run out, but the researchers can make items to replenish them (e.g., you run out of iron ore, researchers create an item you use to add 5000 iron ore to the island).

Depending on the settings, you have several opponents that settle islands, and depending on their personality you can co-settle the islands or you have to destroy them. One of the hippies, for example, is a hard green and doesn't mind you settling and lets you rent stuff to have really healthy islands, but any bit of pollution and he freaks out.

Anno is a lot of fun, but I found as soon as I tried sandbox mode, build an awesome map, and started dabbling in the extraordinarily shallow combat/military part of the game, I lost all interest in it. It's trying to be a bit like Caesar, but it's not really covering enough bases well. It's basically just a glorified industry/research tree, with nothing really to do with it.

If you like Sim City like games, it's great.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

Do sandbox with some actual opponents then. See how easy it is to go up against the pirate, the mercenary, and your rival all at once.

But yes, combat is a bit too simplistic. I stick with command ships only, because build enough and they will kill anything else. 50 of them is enough to take out anyone, including the mercenary.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:58 pm UTC

I've heard Don't Starve is pretty great, but it's very easy to resist when I have so much else to play and considering that it will inevitably appear in a bundle before much time has passed. What do you think?

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:08 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:I've heard Don't Starve is pretty great, but it's very easy to resist when I have so much else to play and considering that it will inevitably appear in a bundle before much time has passed. What do you think?

Yeah, I'm tempted by it but finding it easy to resist by reminding myself of how many months of unplayed games I already have...

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:30 am UTC

Jorpho wrote:I've heard Don't Starve is pretty great, but it's very easy to resist when I have so much else to play and considering that it will inevitably appear in a bundle before much time has passed. What do you think?

Don't Starve is SO GREAT. And they keep releasing additions that make the game harder!

At this point I can reliably survive about a year, then I start getting ballsy and explore caves, and then I die. :/
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:56 am UTC

Ah well... Anyone want to split a 2-pack, then? Anyone?

[EDIT: Done.]
Last edited by Jorpho on Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:44 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:18 am UTC

I'll split a two pack if the offer's still open.

Also, looking at games I can get in this steam sale. Can anyone vouch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Wiki says it was reviewed well, but is it actually good? Worth 16$ for the complete edition?
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:50 am UTC

We had some chatter about XCOM on page 54. It may be worth noting that Open XCOM finally reached a 1.0 release recently, meaning all the technical ugliness of the original (which should be even cheaper) can now be dispensed with.

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:I'll split a two pack if the offer's still open.
Thanks, but I found someone.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:26 am UTC

WibblyWobbly wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
WibblyWobbly wrote:I got there late, but it's still only $5. So, done. Let's see if it's anything as good as people say.
It will almost surely be $2.50 on Steam this week, if not lower. Remember folks, isthereanydeal.com is your friend.

http://isthereanydeal.com/#/page:game/p ... temshockii

For a difference of $2.50? Sure, it's nice, but I'm not going to cry about it. First game I've bought in a few months; if I were buying more or more frequently, I'd probably be more concerned about the best deal.
To be honest, I'd say the $2.50 is worth it to have it on GOG rather than Steam. Not only are you pretty much guaranteed it'll work on modern OSes, you also don't have to bother with any DRM and you get a ton of digital extras (manual, soundtrack, artwork, 'making of' snippets, etc). GOG is pretty damn awesome.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:51 pm UTC

Assassin's Creed IV just ate about 30% of my remaining disc space.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:54 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Do sandbox with some actual opponents then. See how easy it is to go up against the pirate, the mercenary, and your rival all at once.

But yes, combat is a bit too simplistic. I stick with command ships only, because build enough and they will kill anything else. 50 of them is enough to take out anyone, including the mercenary.

That's what I did, and got bored with. The combat is stunningly shallow. And the AI is terrible.

The game was enormously fun for me for a very short period of time.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:19 pm UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:Also, looking at games I can get in this steam sale. Can anyone vouch for XCOM: Enemy Unknown? Wiki says it was reviewed well, but is it actually good? Worth 16$ for the complete edition?

It's a good game - my only problem with it is that it's a game where the original was a simulation - there's a lot more scripting and a lot less emergent phenomena.

As a game that sets out to reproduce some of the feel and some of the moments from the original, it's well done; it's only if you're looking for something with deep mechanics to learn and exploit that it's a little disappointing...

I've not actually played it since the expansion came out, but the base game is fun to play through a couple of times, but ultimately didn't have the depth to keep me coming back. Make of that what you will.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:46 am UTC

I did a couple of playthroughs. It's fun for a while, but after a while it does get repetitive, especially since the maps are preset (in the original series, the maps were sort of randomly generated) and the special missions are scripted. It DOES feel like an XCom game though, but more like XCom Lite.

What we really need is an XCom Apocalypse that WORKS. That would be my dream game.

What XCom Apoc needed:
Land vehicles that worked
Night missions
Randomized spaceship maps
Better city supplies
Base defense missions revamped so civilians don't take up your soldier spots
Fixed enemy saucer spawns so that missing an early saucer didn't permanently cripple you
Ditching the fugly "organic" theme for the alien tech.
Better psionics
Vehicle combat fixed

It had so much potential that just got wasted :(
Last edited by CorruptUser on Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:04 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I did a couple of playthroughs. It's fun for a while, but after a while it does get repetitive, especially since the maps are preset (in the series, the maps were sort of randomly generated) and the special missions are scripted. It DOES feel like an XCom game though, but more like XCom Lite.

In the original game, the maps were randomly generated from largeish square tiles - usually arranged in a 5*5 grid (with the smallest UFOs, it was 4*4) - with a 1*2 block for the Skyranger (or Avenger - I tended to skip Lightning/Firestorm so can't remember their footprints) and a variable size block for the UFO overlaid. So individual blocks were preset, but the overall map wasn't.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:09 am UTC

The lightning was 1 square, but was worthless as a craft. Less loadout than your skyranger, no tanks, used precious Elerium, and shorter range. Firestorm did have its uses, but yeah, I too skipped it as your jet fighters could kill anything other than battleships (once you got plasma beams), and you needed 2 Firestorms to take out a battleship. Protip, only put one plasma beam on your jet fighters.

Anyway, some squares on the map were 2x2, like the large "hangars" in the alien bases. Some maps were 6x6 as well. But it provided enough variety for the early 90's.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:10 am UTC

Monaco: What's Yours is Mine is on flash sale for $1.49. Should I get it?

Also, Wasteland 2 is on sale for $40. I played the original for a few minutes, just to see what it was about (this was before the kickstarter for Wasteland 2). I also played Burntime (which was the quasi-sequel to Wasteland, and prequel to Fallout), though I never got around to beating that. Never played the Fallout series, unless you count Arcanum which was supposed to be Fallout 3 but due to legal issues they just turned into a a weird magicka vs steampunk mashup that was actually pretty good. I'm stoked that they did make Wasteland 2, but not so stoked that I must play it now. I'll wait for it to go on sale for like $15.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:03 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:I also played Burntime (which was the quasi-sequel to Wasteland, and prequel to Fallout), though I never got around to beating that.
I haven't heard of Burntime. I thought the quasi-sequel to Wasteland was Fountain of Dreams?

$40 is way more than I'd pay for any PC game these days.

Monaco has been in a bundle at least once, and I now have two copies. Haven't played it yet. :(

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:32 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Never played the Fallout series, unless you count Arcanum which was supposed to be Fallout 3 but ....
I think you are confused. Arcanum is a 2001 Troika/Sierra release. Van Buren, the in-progress name of Fallout 3, was cancelled by Interplay/Black Isle in 2003.

Troika and Interplay/Black Isle are unrelated.

Well, aside from Troika having several people from Fallout (but not Fallout 2) on-staff.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:55 pm UTC

Oh, I guess Fountain of Dreams comes after Wasteland, but before Burntime, even if apparently Fountain was a disaster of a game. At a site (where I got Wasteland and Burntime), they referred to Burntime as the semi-sequel.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:24 pm UTC

Yeah, that particular, nameless place does... Pretty terrible fact-checking.

Wasteland was Interplay/EA. EA made Fountain of Dreams without using anyone from Interplay and in 2003 stopped claiming it was related to Wasteland, Meantime was Interplay's cancelled Wasteland sequel, and Burntime is completely unrelated, coming from another continent entirely.

Now, that's not to say that Burntime might be closer to a Wasteland sequel tha Fountain of Dreams could ever be....but it's not a sequel, it's an unrelated game.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:53 pm UTC

So, a site is selling steam codes for The Ship. For $1, you get a copy of The Ship, plus two giftable copies. Those two giftable copies reportedly grant the recipient an additional copy to gift... I haven't confirmed it, but if that's true, it's 5 copies of The Ship for $1. They process the payment in GBP, though... http://www.bundlestars.com/store/the-ship-complete-pack/
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:20 pm UTC

Planetary annihilation 2/3 off; hit or miss?

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:47 pm UTC

I've bought it, but I haven't tried it yet :?
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

NecklaceOfShadow

Postby NecklaceOfShadow » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:32 am UTC

I think I saw a bundle of Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite all for 15$. if I can find it again, is it worth it? I've not played any of the games in the series.
Significantly less weird than I used to be. Still pretty weird.

οὗτός ἐστιν Ἀγαμέμνων, ἐμὸς
πόσις, νεκρὸς δὲ τῆσδε δεξιᾶς χερός
ἔργον δικαίας τέκτονος. τάδ’ ὧδ’ ἔχει.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:16 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Planetary annihilation 2/3 off; hit or miss?

Did you like Total Annihilation or Supreme Commander? Then you will like this game. Totally worth it.
Meaux_Pas: Is it fucking Taint Sunday or something?
liza: Screw y'all, I'm going to the moon

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:21 am UTC

Never played Total Annihilation, but I enjoyed Supreme Commander.

..and purchased. Installing ATM, will play tomorrow.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 am UTC

NecklaceOfShadow wrote:I think I saw a bundle of Bioshock, Bioshock 2, and Bioshock Infinite all for 15$. if I can find it again, is it worth it? I've not played any of the games in the series.

I find collections to generally be a bad idea in these things. Sure, those games are probably a good deal for that price, but you're unlikely to actually complete them all by the time Christmas rolls around and they're all discounted again anyway. Better to just check if you like it by buying the first, then making an executive decision based on that as to whether or not it's worth it to buy the generally considered sub-par title (in this case, BioShock 2), the critically acclaimed one (Infinite) or both.

Experience: I bought both the Hitman and the Thief collections in Christmas 2011, and have since gotten less than halfway through Thief Gold and gave up the Hitman series when I found Codename 47 to be a broken mess. It just ain't worth the risk.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:28 pm UTC

It's hard to recommend the bundle without first knowing that you're at least going to enjoy the style of game, but I enjoyed all 3. I think Bioshock 2 gets a fair bit of crap, but that's mostly a "suffers from being compared to Bioshock" thing. It definitely doesn't have the same narrative/environment to suck you in, but I found the gameplay to be just as, if not more, entertaining.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:15 pm UTC

Awesomenauts for 69p. Just saying...
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:21 pm UTC

Everyone buy this and then play it with me!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:37 pm UTC

What's your Steam ID? Mine is, imaginatively enough, SlyReaper.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:41 pm UTC

biggles, just sent you a request (if the servers are keeping up today)

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:52 pm UTC

I need to visit this thread more. Have picked up Don't Starve, Risk of Rain, One Way Heroics, and Talisman. Hoping they're good. I put in a few hours on Don't Starve yesterday, and really enjoyed it. I just need time to play all of these. I recently uninstalled Rogue Legacy. I beat it, then just kept playing. Needed to force myself to not just sit down to play 'for a few minutes'.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:07 pm UTC

No, seriously guys. Awesomenauts. 69p. Even if you're unsure, or you're completely broke in the run-up to payday. 69p. I can vouch for the awesomeness excellence of Awesomenauts. Its style will take you back to your 90's Saturday morning cartoon memories, and the DOTA-esque gameplay is solid. I've had a great deal of fun playing it, although I really suck at it.

Biggles, your friend request did indeed come through, and been accepted.

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:21 pm UTC

Pretty sure I have games where the storage requirements exceed 69p...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

Isn't Awesomenauts basically another excuse to sell lots of DLC?

I was hoping to get Strider, but I guess it won't be going below $9. Oh well, for December then.

Anyone want to split a Borderlands 2 4-pack? (I was hoping there would by a 4-pack that included the DLC, but no such luck.)

In theory we have XKCD Steam groups at http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xkcd and http://steamcommunity.com/groups/xkcd-tf2 , but I don't know if they're good for much anymore.

P.S. If you want Battleblock Theatre, it's actually even cheaper if you buy this bundle, but I can't say it interests me sufficiently even at $2.49. Especially when I'll end up buying it in another bundle somewhere down the line.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:18 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:I find collections to generally be a bad idea in these things. Sure, those games are probably a good deal for that price, but you're unlikely to actually complete them all by the time Christmas rolls around and they're all discounted again anyway. Better to just check if you like it by buying the first, then making an executive decision based on that as to whether or not it's worth it to buy the generally considered sub-par title (in this case, BioShock 2), the critically acclaimed one (Infinite) or both.
On the flip side, if you're like me and you wind up playing the first soonish and end up being a fan* for important clarification, then you'll have to decide whether to wait months to get the others or pay full price in the interim. I've done the latter before. The other complication is if the bundle includes something that isn't sold separately. For example, I picked up Dragon Age a couple years back, and was waffling on whether to get the DLC or no. I wound up with "no." But then I wanted it. And Bioware/EA sells it individually, but it's actually cheaper to wait for a Steam sale and get the DA:O collection that gets the DLC when it's steeply discounted. So I essentially bought the base game twice. (I did that before when I bought Portal and, later, the Orange Box and then the bastards at Valve didn't even let me gift away my old Portal copy. I still have a sour opinion of even Steam-like DRM because of that, and won't pay full-price for almost anything that has similar DRM.)

* important clarification I'm not talking about the Bioshock games particularly, which I have not played and don't plan on for reasons that are probably pretty specific to me. Rather, I'm talking more generally about how I get really curious as to how the story/game is going to continue in the future.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:40 am UTC

Ok, Planetary Annihilation is somewhat interesting, but has a few bugs that need to be ironed out, and some combat balancing. In a month or so it should be up and running.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:56 am UTC

AUGH! Gone Home is on a Flash Sale. Darn thing never once went below $4.99 in all the time it's been out; I never thought it would go even lower. Sigh.

Return to “Gaming”