Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby emceng » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:38 pm UTC

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try Planetside. Not sure how much I enjoy being part of a group anymore though.

Edit: Tried Planetside. Meh. DOn't know if it was due to ignorance, or play mechanics, but I was constantly spawning 800 meters away from the action, and had to spend lots of time running to where there were enemies and goals.

I'm looking for a strategy game that can be played where a team wins, like in Civ. My girlfriend loves Civ, and I'd like her to branch out. I want to play with her, but have gotten a bit tired of Civ. We need something where we can be on the same team, otherwise there is unneeded tension in the house.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Koa

Postby Koa » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:53 pm UTC

A little late, but..
emceng wrote:Edit: Tried Planetside. Meh. DOn't know if it was due to ignorance, or play mechanics, but I was constantly spawning 800 meters away from the action, and had to spend lots of time running to where there were enemies and goals.

I would definitely say that's on you. One of the things that I feel watered down the game is all of the tools they introduced to keep players in constant action. If you ever have to spend more than 30 seconds running to a fight, you probably should have redeployed or hit the instant action button. Sometimes there's not a lot of action on a continent and you need to switch, but you never have to deal with any significant amount of downtime between shooting stuff if you don't want to.

Coop strategy games... Age of Wonders 3, Endless Legend, Anno 2070, Stronghold series (I prefer Crusader 1), AI Wars (a bit dreary, hard for me to recommend), Age of Empires 2, Age of Mythology, Starcraft 2: LotV Archon mode (maybe... maybe not), Sins of a Solar Empire...

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 pm UTC

Maybe I'll give Age of Wonders 3 a shot. I was thinking about getting it anyway, and it might be on sale...

Which I should also mention - GOG is having their fall sale. Some good deals on bundles and such. I think the Myst games are on sale right now, AoW3 as mentioned above was on sale. I hope they do an encore sale thing soon, like Steam does.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:51 pm UTC

I've played one short game in vanilla - it was pretty fun!
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

emceng

Postby emceng » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:22 pm UTC

WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME DARK FORCES WAS AVAILABLE ON GOG?

Holy crap I loved that game as a kid.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:11 am UTC

emceng wrote:WHY DIDN'T ANYONE TELL ME DARK FORCES WAS AVAILABLE ON GOG?

You didn't ask?

By the way, Magic Carpet is available on GOG, in case no-one's told you that either.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:31 am UTC

In theory, the Macintosh version of Dark Forces is superior as it runs in a higher resolution; alas, it's apparently difficult to get working satisfactorily in an emulator, and there hasn't been much activity over at http://xlengine.com/ in a while.

quintopia

Postby quintopia » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:37 pm UTC

Klei Entertainment 85% off this weekend. I'll buy a copy of Don't Starve Together for anyone who'll promise to play with me :wink:

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:11 pm UTC

Steam fall sale is here. Nothing really great to my eyes. Can someone explain why the hell I should bother with the cards and crap? It seems like it's an unnecessarily complex pain in the ass. Get some sort of crap in your inventory, which won't clear the new items icon for some reason, convert those into gems. Convert gems into booster packs. Open booster packs to get cards? Why the fuck would I even want cards in the first freaking place?

Deva
Has suggestions for the murderers out there.

Postby Deva » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:25 pm UTC

Profile backgrounds/badges. Emoticons. Steam Levels for a larger friends list and more free, randomly-distributed boosters. Five to twenty cents. (Sold a foil card for $2.61 once, post Steam cut.)

Auctioned games for gems previously. Might return. Imagines difficulty obtaining anything, however.
Changes its form depending on the observer.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:50 am UTC

I just picked up all the DLC for Age of Wonders III.
Generation Y. I don't remember the First Gulf War, but do remember floppy disks.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:30 am UTC

quintopia wrote:Klei Entertainment 85% off this weekend. I'll buy a copy of Don't Starve Together for anyone who'll promise to play with me :wink:

Was this a genuine offer because I will take you up on it (although timezones I guess might be an issue)
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:03 am UTC

Oh look, a Steam sale! And I'm on vacation for 1.5 weeks! Maybe I'll check out this here Witcher thingy, and also pick up Might & Magic X since I'm curious and it's cheap.

Oh wait, maybe not.
Capture.JPG
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:20 am UTC

It worked earlier today and I spent too much money. But I can't argue with 50% or more off!

Also I'm at my father-in-law's place, and his internet is *way* faster than mine at home. I'm finally downloading most of my Steam library. ^_^
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:38 am UTC

I got Gemcraft for $2! Ok, it's basically the same as the gemcraft I played years ago, but that only had like half of the game available and you'd spend $5 if you wanted the remaining half. Also I realized that I grew bored of tower defense games for a reason. But it's so addicting...

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:21 am UTC

I got a DLC for Borderlands: The Presequel and Big Pharma.

But I'll likely only be playing through the DLC campaign if anyone happens to be wanting to COOP it.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:00 pm UTC

Is big pharma any better than infinifactory or factorio? Factorio isn't on steam yet, so I suppose you couldn't get it through the sale.

Anyway, I reeeeeally should grab undertale and KSP, but eh... Still have a bunch of other games I need to finish.

bigglesworth

Postby bigglesworth » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:08 pm UTC

I haven't played any of those yet - I just work in the industry so that's the one for me.

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Postby poxic » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:28 pm UTC

Still can't get past the "for me or as a gift" stage this morning. I'm starting to think it's my connection or something.
TEAM SHIVAHN
Pretty much the best team ever

A man who is ‘ill-adjusted’ to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister.
- Hermann Hesse, novelist, poet, Nobel laureate (2 Jul 1877-1962)

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:22 am UTC

Ehh, the only thing I'm slightly interested in might be LISA the Joyful. Have you heard of LISA? Seems to have its fans.

I would be itching for a flash sale on Shovel Knight or Freedom Planet or UmiharaKawase or Shantae or quite a few other things if this was a normal Steam sale, but I guess that time is past. I have a bazillion other things to play while I wait for those to get cheaper.

I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that this is another point on a long, slow slide to how Desura ended up.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:04 am UTC

KSP installing. Really should've gotten it sooner, but why the hell not. Prepare to lose hour upon hours...

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:00 am UTC

A lot of people seem to be really enthusiastic about Consortium. For 90% off, eh, why not?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240?snr=1_8_4__501

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:25 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:A lot of people seem to be really enthusiastic about Consortium. For 90% off, eh, why not?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/264240?snr=1_8_4__501

Hmm, that does look interesting. I should throw it on my wishlist.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:09 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:KSP installing. Really should've gotten it sooner, but why the hell not. Prepare to lose hour upon hours...

Oh, dude, it's all over for you.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:52 pm UTC

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comm ... _rpg_free/

Consortium is free this weekend! And it sounds like it may be added to your library permanently, if you download it in this time.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:34 am UTC

Aye, I sure can pick 'em. :?

Yubtzock

Postby Yubtzock » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:02 pm UTC

emceng wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/414ejr/steam_consortium_storydriven_firstperson_rpg_free/

Consortium is free this weekend! And it sounds like it may be added to your library permanently, if you download it in this time.

I downloaded it on Friday as soon as I noticed it. It's pretty cool. It has some issues like totally wasted combat mechanics and equipment, but at least they don't get in a way too much, since it's pretty much Dialogue Trees the Game (Dialogue Forest?). Cut combat and item/resources and you get something akin to light novel essentially.

The detective story, characters and breadth of lore are amazing though. Plus replayability - I feel like there is material for 2-3 substantially different playthroughs.

My advise would be: Get a sheet of paper and write down codenames <--> names dictionary. The game is kinda sci-fi James Bond, where everyone has a numbered codename and it gets confusing as fuck in the beginning. You can then also use the sheet to write notes/comments for later reference too.

I also made mistake of reading info-console records on the crew before talking to them and later forgot everything...
BTW If you want to read everything on info-console your playtime will double. Not that it matters. The game is 95% dialogue anyway.

Some spoilery questions/discussion:
Spoiler:
WTF. Is Guardian Church supposed to be scientology? (or at least the cultists) I got really weird scientology vibe from them.

The James Bond IN THE FUTURE is really strong with this one: You essentially have licence to kill, codename, queen to serve, boss is an englishwoman, gadgets, insane intelligence network that's useless so that you can be awesome, etc.

Some bigger(?) spoilers:
Spoiler:
Fucking P4... They haven't written him annoying enough for me to really hate him, but damn is it enough to make me want to punch the guy. The game has a specific effect for you actually trying to do so with his character btw. so at least there is that.

There was an Alternate Reality Game apparently that is referenced in the game on few occasions. Kinda sucks if you weren't in the loop, but I guess it's a nice reason to replay the game after doing some digging on it.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 pm UTC

The latest Humble Bundle has a bunch of semi-recent Firaxis games - $15+ for Beyond Earth, some DLC, and a discount for the Rising Tide DLC; $1 for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Sid Meier's Pirates, Civ III (complete), and Ace Patrol Bundle; Average+ for XCOM DLC (all of it that I know of), Civ IV (complete) and V (base) and Sid Meier's Starships, plus more to come

I don't know that I'd recommend Beyond Earth at that price, but if you don't have XCOM or Enemy Within yet, they're probably worth it (pretty different from UFO Defense, but a decent game if you're not expecting much fidelity).

Mr. Mack

Postby Mr. Mack » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:03 am UTC

Jet Set Radio, Golden Axe, and Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit are currently free on Steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/94153/
"Bagpipes, YES!"

Check out my girlfriend's Etsy shop, Kye's Kreations!

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:38 am UTC

Orcs Must Die 2 is on sale for 1.49 on Steam. I loved the demo I had a while ago but never got the full game, I think I'll pick it up. It's pretty fun solo but even more so with some friends.

LaserGuy

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Postby LaserGuy » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 am UTC

A new expansion for Baldur's Gate came out the other day.

Koa

Postby Koa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:38 pm UTC

Free steam copy of Tropico 4 for the next couple days. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tropico-4-free-game

It's one of the great city builder games. It tends to get overlooked but I think it's must-play for the genre.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 am UTC

Bundle Stars is selling this 5-pack of Sentinels of the Multiverse presently.
https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/s ... rse-5-pack

Three bucks is about as much as I'd like to pay for it, but I would like to pay for it. Would anyone else be interested in a copy for $3?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:39 pm UTC

Koa wrote:Free steam copy of Tropico 4 for the next couple days. https://www.humblebundle.com/store/tropico-4-free-game

It's one of the great city builder games. It tends to get overlooked but I think it's must-play for the genre.

Dang, guess I missed this. It's showing for $3.74 right now, but considering I have Tropico 3 and have only put about 2 hours into it, I'll pass.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:47 pm UTC

Yea, I got it expecting a more detailed Sim City...and I got a do everything game, including pick the noses of your minions. Ive only done the tutorial, but I am not very impressed.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:35 pm UTC

I have Tropico 5. It's basically "run an island like a brutal dictator". Even trying to be the most benevolent of rulers, you have to crack some skulls because your stupid citizens don't know what's best for them.

Koa

Postby Koa » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 am UTC

So, Tropico 4, it's a very mechanical city builder when compared to anything other than the Impression Games series. It's easy to get the wrong impression because it doesn't look like that sort of game. The series is much deeper than Sim City.

When you start an island, you have a small handful of people who are content for the moment. You also have some basic buildings to provide those people with unskilled work, but nothing yet that makes you any money. The farms are only a slight surplus of food for your population. So the first thing you need to do is establish some basic income, and there are a lot of options that depend on what sort of resources are nearby, what the trade prices are, or whatever you want. Just be mindful not to place the building on the good tiles, otherwise miners/farmers/etc won't have access to it.

By the time you have a few more immigrants and a couple of initial money makers set up, your people are getting quite upset. They want housing, they want churches, they want entertainment.There are also demographics of people who get extra upset when a need isn't fulfilled. Above what they want, they also need education for people to work these services. Unless you plan on importing the educated workforce (which pisses off nationalists I think).

The thing is, these buildings are all very expensive early on. They even drain your income and will take a portion of your workforce away from you. But you need them, because elections are coming. Losing an election means losing the game.

While you're keeping people happy, you're also progressing up the tiers of industry for increased export profits. Diversifying is also important. And there's rebels... and natural disasters... So you need even more buildings to deal with those things. A rebel coup is just as threatening as losing an election.

When you're making decent money, your citizens start to get upset about wages and refuse to work, so you need to bump them up. It's not as difficult as it sounds, you can set payments across the board by education level. You might want to keep the jewelry factory workers well payed though, so that you don't have to retrain anyone. if you have issues with no workers you might need more immigrants rather than higher wages. You'll probably want to open and close your borders several times depending upon the amount of jobs per people you have at any given time. My borders are usually closed in the end game.

And as another tip, garages are important for citizens to get to places, but they need another garage near their location to get back. So make sure that people don't have to walk home from work. If you zoom in or follow citizens it should be clear if there is a problem.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:57 am UTC

Are the last two Batman Arkham games (Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight) Any good on PC? they're on sale this weekend and I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, but just never picked up the rest. I don't remember what kind of reception Origins got, I remember Arkham Knight was a fiasco on PC, but it's been a while since then, does anyone know if they've the fixed the issues it had at launch?
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

HES

Postby HES » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:37 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:Are the last two Batman Arkham games (Arkham Origins and Arkham Knight) Any good on PC?

Arkham Origins isn't properly part of the Arkham trilogy, IIRC there was a different developer involved and the feel is a bit different. I never got far into it.
Arkham Knight is an excellent game but a monumentally terrible PC port. I can run it OK at triple-wide resolution with very occasional frame rate drops on a 970, but lower end systems really struggle. It was pulled from steam for a while soon after release, it was that bad.
He/Him/His Image

New User

Postby New User » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:43 am UTC

Big fall sale over at GOG.com and they are giving away a free game (Little Big Adventure 2: Twinsen's Odyssey).

Return to “Gaming”