Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jorpho

Re: Great Steam Deals (And other Online Distribution Systems

Postby Jorpho » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 am UTC

The average is astonishingly high for this sort of thing, though. It would still be an excellent deal if I didn't already have everything but Lone Survivor.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

I hate indie bundles these days because I already have all the games in them.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Xeio
Friends, Faidites, Countrymen

Postby Xeio » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

I don't even buy bundles and I still have almost every game in there. I'm missing Bastion though... *ponders*

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

I hate buying extras of games.
Even if it's "worth" getting this latest bundle for Lone survivor (like the only new game in the latest bundle) I still hate having to get all these other games again.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

YES! I knew it was the right idea to buy that bundle!

I've had my eye on Lone Survivor for ages, that's amazing! Have to try out Super Meat Boy too. Not sure about Braid, but I'll give it a go. But considering I bought this for Amnesia, that is awesome. Makes up for me buying LIMBO off Steam the day before it came out.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:11 am UTC

Jessica wrote:I hate buying extras of games.
Even if it's "worth" getting this latest bundle for Lone survivor (like the only new game in the latest bundle) I still hate having to get all these other games again.

If it's worth it to pay above the average for Lone Survivor, then just do that, push the other sliders to $0, and don't download them. :-)

SirBryghtside wrote:Not sure about Braid, but I'll give it a go.

Braid is one of the very few games that feels way better with a controller even for me (I'm a dyed-in-the-wool keyboard+mouse guy), but hopefully it won't let you down... it is an awesome, awesome game.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:29 am UTC

Did I mention that there's probably going to be a Steam game sale next month? It would not surprise me if Lone Survivor ended up on sale one day for $3.33 or even $2.50.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:35 pm UTC

Reason I'm not really that excited about playing Braid is because I didn't like LIMBO, and it seems very similar in terms of artsiness/critical reception. It's silly, I know, because the critical reception for both was 5 stars all round - but it's still there.

Super Meat Boy is brilliant though :D
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

NoodleIncident

Postby NoodleIncident » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:56 am UTC

Well see here's the thing. You know how LIMBO has wonderful atmosphere, good storytelling, but the platforming is kind of stupid/annoying? Braid is literally the exact opposite. Some of the best puzzle platforming I've ever experienced, and it stands on its own.

Also, what annoyed me about LIMBO is the random, unavoidable death. Braid gives you a rewind button, so you literally never die. :D
Zagibu wrote:Don't ask how many times I've accidentially spawned an alligator completely covered in adamantine with a battle axe strapped to its tail.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:33 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Reason I'm not really that excited about playing Braid is because I didn't like LIMBO, and it seems very similar in terms of artsiness/critical reception.

So I just got done playing LIMBO, and... I can't tell if I liked it or not. There were some significant aspects of it that basically just pissed me off, but some of the puzzles were really well done.

Basically, don't write off Braid because of LIMBO. They're very different games, and personally I put Braid far better. (A or A+ instead of, I dunno, B-.)

BTW, does the Humble version of LIMBO have really atrocious, almost unplayable performance in occasional parts for anyone else? Like "3-5 fps" performance?

NoodleIncident wrote:Braid gives you a rewind button, so you literally never die. :D

Whatever helps you sleep at night. ;-)

(But the kinds of death are very different. Braid's rarely come as a surprise, and because of the rewind button, almost all the time the consequences of it is a second or two of gameplay instead of, I dunno, 30 seconds with LIMBO.)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:34 pm UTC

Waiting for Steam sale seems better.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

I'm kind of torn with the latest humble indie bundle.

On the one hand, I own 4 of those games. But I kind of want Lone Survivor and the soundtracks that I don't have. And the price to get Lone Survivor is definitely below the normal cost of Lone Survivor.

But then I feel like I'm rebuying games I already have...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

New User

Postby New User » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm UTC

Someone predicted it will go on sale on Steam soon. You could just wait for that. I got the latest indie bundle, and I don't think Lone Survivor alone is worth that price. The only ones I already owned are Super Meat Boy and Psychonauts (for PS2). I'm pretty cheap when it comes to computer games, though, so someone else might think it's worth the price.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:37 am UTC

For anyone else thinking about it, I was playing Psychonauts over the weekend (not quite done, but close) and was having a lot of fun with it; I was really pleasantly surprised. There's a lot of really funny stuff, and the worlds you enter differ a lot more than in most games. I don't have entirely positive things to say (for the most part, platforming isn't really my "thing" so there are some things that I've had trouble with, and I've had to look up how to fight some of the bosses), but it's actually really well done. I'm finding it way more enjoyable than LIMBO, say, to be honest.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:19 am UTC

I find it was dragged down by some unfortunate design choices. You probably shouldn't bother trying to collect all the Figments, for example.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:27 pm UTC

Xeio wrote:I don't even buy bundles and I still have almost every game in there. I'm missing Bastion though... *ponders*
Bastion is totally awesome.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Bastion is well worth whatever you're willing to pay. The soundtrack to it and Sword and Sworcery are also both particularly good and included.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:32 pm UTC

NoodleIncident wrote:Braid gives you a rewind button, so you literally never die. :D

Well, there are one or two levels that are very easy to make unwinnable (and force a restart of the level). That's part of the puzzle for those levels.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

Both Worlds of Ultima games are currently free on GoG, so.. there's that. You too can now explore Mars with Warren Spector, if you haven't before and don't mind playing 20 year old games. Also something in a jungle with dinosaurs.. I dunno, I haven't played that one. Yet.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

I really didn't like the first Worlds of Ultima when it came out.... But I was also seven or eight... So maybe it was just too complicated? I really liked Ultimas 4-6 in that time frame though.

Also thinking back on it the box art had a hypersexualized amazonian woman on it and it was one of my first exposures to sexuality....
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

Given that this is the same company that had this as the cover of Ultima 6*, I'd like to say that they were doing something interesting there, but... it's probably just a case of Sex Sells.

*That cover is great just because it pretty much describes the entire game plot in one image. You're the great hero vanquishing the Gargoyle... you're a false prophet and a giant dick to the essentially peaceful Gargoyle race whose only "crime" is looking like a stereotypical demon, you racist jackass.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Soralin

Postby Soralin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:42 pm UTC

The Steam summer sale has begun! :twisted:

Terraria for $2.49
Portal 2 for $4.99
Legend of Grimrock for $5.99

Some less than 24 hour sales:
Deus Ex: HR for $7.49
Spacechem for $2.49

I can vouch for all of those as being awesome. :) A bunch of other stuff too.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

Oh here we go. So much for me trying to save money.

Obby

Postby Obby » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:01 pm UTC

Damnit, I don't get paid until next Friday... Yay for credit cards, I guess.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:40 am UTC

Damn you Valve! I'm trying to save for a house! Not more video games!
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:08 am UTC

The last of the minor hurdles between me and Portal 2 is no more. That, and handfuls of Civ V civ packs, and I'm off to the races.
I looked out across the river today …

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:37 am UTC

So it seems that every year I feel liek I've gotten allt he agmes that are out that interest me, and then a game goes on daily deal that I didn't think was out yet.

This year that game is Fray, a cyberpunk styled turn based tactical game that came to my attention when people kept trying to compare it to Frozen Synapse, an awesome cyberpunk styled turn based tactical game.

Anyway, ten dollars poorer now and downloading as we speak.

It doesn't actually look anything like Frozen Synapse, but I like both the Cyberpunk and Turn Based Tactics genres enough that it doesn't really matter to me, I was pretty much going to buy it regardless.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

novax6

Postby novax6 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:31 am UTC

EdgarJPublius wrote:So it seems that every year I feel liek I've gotten allt he agmes that are out that interest me, and then a game goes on daily deal that I didn't think was out yet.

This year that game is Fray, a cyberpunk styled turn based tactical game that came to my attention when people kept trying to compare it to Frozen Synapse, an awesome cyberpunk styled turn based tactical game.

It doesn't actually look anything like Frozen Synapse, but I like both the Cyberpunk and Turn Based Tactics genres enough that it doesn't really matter to me, I was pretty much going to buy it regardless.

Errr i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Fray is supposed to be unplayably broken and unfinished in it's current state. I was thinking about purchasing it too, but took a look at some of the reviewsit was getting, and ouch. Sorry about the 10 dollars. :?

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:59 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:*That cover is great just because it pretty much describes the entire game plot in one image. You're the great hero vanquishing the Gargoyle... you're a false prophet and a giant dick to the essentially peaceful Gargoyle race whose only "crime" is looking like a stereotypical demon, you racist jackass.

Didn't they abduct you and like try to kill you?

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:37 am UTC

novax6 wrote:
EdgarJPublius wrote:So it seems that every year I feel liek I've gotten allt he agmes that are out that interest me, and then a game goes on daily deal that I didn't think was out yet.

Errr i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Fray is supposed to be unplayably broken and unfinished in it's current state. I was thinking about purchasing it too, but took a look at some of the reviewsit was getting, and ouch. Sorry about the 10 dollars. :?

It looks like the reviews were based on an earlier/prerelease version. The only problem I've had is not being able to find a game to join, but I suspect part of that is from the sale. I haven't even been able to log in to Frozen Synapse since it went on sale and it appears many other games are getting pounded by sale-driven traffic.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:35 am UTC

I just dropped $3.74 on Vessel knowing very little about it aside from its glowing reviews. I'm going to regret this when it ends up in the next Humble Bundle.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

Spoiler:

So far during the summer sale, I've bought
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Shogun II Total War
  • RAGE
  • Trine II
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

I'm always happy when there's a day with no games for sale that I'm interested in (or that I already own). My wallet survives another day!
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

My wallet survives another day!

Mine did not =\.

Snagged Borderlands - GotY for $7.50, and then grabbed Frozen Synapse for $5.

FS... came with a free gift version? If someone here is interested in a copy, please post so I can gift it to you.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

So far, the only thing this sale has caused me to buy is Trine 2. And I always wanted that game anyway. So I think I've gotten through this pretty much unscathed so far.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

I'm hoping Beyond Good and Evil goes up, as I would love to finally dive into that... though realistically I'll probably just never play it. I'm also hoping to see the Duke Nukem Forever DLC go on sale, b/c I hear that campaign is actually not too shabby (and I didn't hate the main DNF campaign).

I've managed to not completely drain my wallet yet, only picking up:
- Deus Ex: HR DLC (which I played through already)
- Tribes: Ascend Starter
- Dead Space 2

I still have these unplayed from other sales that I want to get to, so I'm doing my best to restrain myself:
- Saint's Row 3
- Limbo
- Rochard
philsov wrote:Snagged Borderlands - GotY for $7.50
That is money well spent. I'm extremely excited for Borderlands 2.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

I was tempted by Trine 2 and Orcs Must Die, but so far I haven't bought anything... yet.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:42 pm UTC

I've bought a few things, mostly because they were cheap. I'm holding out for id and/or Bethesda packs to go on daily sales, but it looks like they're not doing that, so I'll probably just snag them at the end.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:57 pm UTC

So far just Trine 2 & The Walking Dead for me.
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:29 pm UTC

Not sure if I want the Age of Empires III, or if it's just nostalgia. I really enjoy games where I can build up defenses or cities.

Return to “Gaming”