SMAC Carbon on Mac OS 10.6 (problem with saving progress)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri - Great Game, or Greatest Game?

Postby aion7 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:13 pm UTC

I'm annoyed. I went through the whole trouble of a two-hour bittorrent download, and then a ten minute burning to a disk only to find out I had downloaded the expansion, instead of the actual game. I can't even find a download for the real game. It had taken me a while to justify my doing this also (I bough it a long time ago, but it broke (as in the disk actually broke into multiple pieces)).
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Phen

Postby Phen » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:23 pm UTC

That sucks. I'm waiting to hear from my games retailer if they can get a copy of the game... I think I'll go check up on it tomorrow.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:12 am UTC

"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
Wooed women at every base,
But once ladies glanced at
His special enhancement
They vanished with nary a trace."

-- Barracks Graffiti, Sparta Command

Yuri2356

Postby Yuri2356 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:10 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
His special enhancement

You know, I never did figure out exactly what kind of dirty that limerick is supposed to be. There's a few ways you could interpret it, but for the most part it feels kind of clunky and poorly built.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:29 am UTC

How much is SMAC these days? If you do find an online DL let me know.

(I however can't justify this because my original copy was burned, look, I was young, reckless, I would never be so crazy again, just... let me know alright?)
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:08 pm UTC

Kizyr wrote:Before I was able to implement thought control, I just nerve-stapled everyone. That tended to circumvent (or at least delay) the need for building as many Rec Commons and other happiness-related improvements.

Besides which, nerve stapling is so much more fun. Especially nerve stapling citizens in a conquered base. KF

Um...atrocities much?
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

Cryopyre wrote:How much is SMAC these days? If you do find an online DL let me know.

(I however can't justify this because my original copy was burned, look, I was young, reckless, I would never be so crazy again, just... let me know alright?)

Ahem. Specifically #2. Last I knew, SMAC wasn't freeware.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:58 pm UTC

Okita wrote:
Kizyr wrote:Before I was able to implement thought control, I just nerve-stapled everyone. That tended to circumvent (or at least delay) the need for building as many Rec Commons and other happiness-related improvements.

Besides which, nerve stapling is so much more fun. Especially nerve stapling citizens in a conquered base. KF

Um...atrocities much?

They only count as atrocities if the UN Charter is still in effect. Which is why I went after Pravin Lal first. His pacifism didn't help him much when my shock troops were leveling his bases to the ground.

Besides, it's not like my citizens were complaining. They were all happy and compliant. KF
~Kizyr

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:31 pm UTC

I see. So you repeal the UN charter at the beginning huh...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:56 pm UTC

Yuri2356 wrote:
Ian Ex Machina wrote:"A handsome young Cyborg named Ace,
His special enhancement

You know, I never did figure out exactly what kind of dirty that limerick is supposed to be. There's a few ways you could interpret it, but for the most part it feels kind of clunky and poorly built.

I always saw it as being that whilst the cyborg was well made militarily, he still didn't have a large enough enhancement.

On the topic of repealing the UN, it is the way to go it means that you don't lose trade energy, so all the nerve gas troops are worth it. (Strange that ships can't use nerve gas.)

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:30 pm UTC

it is very difficult to find Warlords, the first civ4 expansion.

Very hard.

I should try and find a copy of SMAC. It looks awesome.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Phen

Postby Phen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:24 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:it is very difficult to find Warlords, the first civ4 expansion.

Very hard.

It's included in the complete edition... I've heard it isn't that great, though.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:49 am UTC

Very hard.

SMAC is pretty easy to find online for just a few dollars. The expansion (Alien Crossfire) on the other hand, is pretty much impossible to get unless you're willing to spend $100 on ebay, or don't mind resorting to illegal methods.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.
- Garrison Keillor -

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:51 am UTC

And besides, Crossfire wasn't that great anyway. I for one hate it because it took the somewhat fresh idea of having humans be the only sentient life (except for the distinctly non-humanoid Planet) and stuck in typical Star Trek humanoid aliens.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:37 am UTC

I've never had an compulsion to play Crossfire.

Sure, some of the new secret projects are nice but they are also kind of broken (Ex. Cloudbase Academy).

On the other hand, they did fix Hunter-Seeker Algorithm. But H-S isn't that broken either since Miriam can more or less have the equivalent by being Fundy.

Also, do none of you guys have a problem with committing atrocities and killing tons of people?

And besides... doesn't nerve stapling stop working after a while?

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 am UTC

Okita wrote:I've never had an compulsion to play Crossfire.

Sure, some of the new secret projects are nice but they are also kind of broken (Ex. Cloudbase Academy).

On the other hand, they did fix Hunter-Seeker Algorithm. But H-S isn't that broken either since Miriam can more or less have the equivalent by being Fundy.

Also, do none of you guys have a problem with committing atrocities and killing tons of people?

I have no problem committing atrocities, upon others and then I have to have the UN treaty repealed.
I look after everyone in my bases, they get all the latest rec commons and such.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:46 am UTC

Gravitas Shortfall wrote:

Very hard.

SMAC is pretty easy to find online for just a few dollars. The expansion (Alien Crossfire) on the other hand, is pretty much impossible to get unless you're willing to spend $100 on ebay, or don't mind resorting to illegal methods.

I found a place to download the expansion - Didn't look very illigal, but thinking it over again, it probably was. Gah. I can't use it for anything, since I still havn't got the game yet.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:54 am UTC

I play the expansion but usually take out the aliens. They are hardly any different and it is frustrating that they are not in the council. Also the pirates, while made of great win, are unbalanced.
COMFORT, n.
A state of mind produced by contemplation of a neighbor's uneasiness.

Kizyr

Postby Kizyr » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:52 pm UTC

Okita wrote:Also, do none of you guys have a problem with committing atrocities and killing tons of people?

It depends on who I'm playing as, and what sort of game I'm after. If I play as Pravin Lal, then I immediately make sure such monsters as Sheng-ji Yang don't have a chance to effect their horrors on the rest of the Planet. I'll also attract the best and brightest across the world so that the rest of the factions will want to follow me, rather than have to be coerced. I usually still run into problems with Yang and Santiago regardless, and occasionally it's difficult to keep peace between some of the rivals like Skye-vs-Morgan or Zakharov-vs-Miriam.

If I play as Sheng-ji Yang or Corazon Santiago, then it's a no-holds barred race for dominance. Nothing is out of the question, and mercy/compassion is a weakness in the other factions that I aim to exploit.

If I'm Morgan, Skye, or Zakharov (favorite game is usually as Zakharov, since I'm usually tech-focused), then I go after whatever particular ideal they represent, so wealth, ecology, or technology.

The only faction I can't really get into playing is The Believers. All I keep thinking is "I can swarm my enemies, but my tech level stinks... Oh well, may as well send my troops to their deaths." Not usually how I like to play... KF
~Kizyr

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 pm UTC

The believers rely on stealing tech from conquered bases. Aim to conquer weak bases to steal tech, and do so often. Also, probe teams.

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:05 pm UTC

I finally got a hold of the game. Start a new game on the map of Planet as university. Trying to find out how things work, mindworm attacking, lots of fungus... Then a rover speeds over the sea (?!) 4-5 turns in and Miriam says hello.

... This does not seem optimal. I tried to sweettalk her, giving her the technology she wanted and making a pact or something of that kind. Treaty, maybe.

The lack of a proper tech-tree confuses me.

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:37 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I finally got a hold of the game. Start a new game on the map of Planet as university. Trying to find out how things work, mindworm attacking, lots of fungus... Then a rover speeds over the sea (?!) 4-5 turns in and Miriam says hello.

... This does not seem optimal. I tried to sweettalk her, giving her the technology she wanted and making a pact or something of that kind. Treaty, maybe.

The lack of a proper tech-tree confuses me.

The University is a pretty good faction to start with, though they can be a bit prone to drone riots. Is it possible the rover was coming off a transport that just wasn't in your line of sight? Anyway, if you can keep Miriam happy for awhile, then great, but sooner or later she's going to get fed up with your 'knowledge' priority and declare war, so be ready.

Regarding the tech tree, I believe there's an option under custom rules when you start the game that allows you more control over what techs you research. There is a proper tech tree, they just don't make it easy to look at the whole thing.
We come from people who brought us up to believe that life is a struggle. And if you should ever feel really happy, be patient. This will pass.

- Garrison Keillor -

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:20 pm UTC

I did see fragments of a tech tree, but nothing I could easily arrange in my head. And as far as I could see, it came from the sea... With another unit that I've forgotten the name of.
It seems a bit of a mouthful to start with.

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I did see fragments of a tech tree, but nothing I could easily arrange in my head. And as far as I could see, it came from the sea... With another unit that I've forgotten the name of.

http://home.comcast.net/~pmm1/games/sma ... _101_2.gif

- Garrison Keillor -

Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:35 pm UTC

Phen wrote:I did see fragments of a tech tree, but nothing I could easily arrange in my head. And as far as I could see, it came from the sea... With another unit that I've forgotten the name of.

http://home.comcast.net/~pmm1/games/sma ... _101_2.gif

Holy crap. I... I think I'll take a look at that, later.

I've explored a bit around my base (and got a map from the Spartans. I can fit the main bases of three factions on the same screen (Mine, Believers and Spartans). Is that... Normal? I'm playing on a normal-sized Planet map. I think I look pretty screwed.

Also, those mindworms! Attacking friggin' constantly.

Cryopyre

Postby Cryopyre » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Cryopyre wrote:How much is SMAC these days? If you do find an online DL let me know.

Ahem. Specifically #2. Last I knew, SMAC wasn't freeware.

Oh, I honestly forgot about that, but meh... My uncle would probably give me his copy. I don't think he ever played it.
Felstaff wrote:I actually see what religion is to social, economical and perhaps political progress in a similar way to what war is to technological progress.

Gunfingers wrote:Voting is the power to speak your mind. You, apparently, had nothing to say.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

Dammit.

Ok, so I downloaded (from steam...) the two expansions.
I own a boxed copy of civ 4.
I extracted planetfall into the beyond the sword/mods directory, and it still won't let me play it.
Not sure what I need to do, or if this is a common error with mixing boxed tech and steam apps...
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Jessica wrote:Dammit.

Ok, so I downloaded (from steam...) the two expansions.
I own a boxed copy of civ 4.
I extracted planetfall into the beyond the sword/mods directory, and it still won't let me play it.
Not sure what I need to do, or if this is a common error with mixing boxed tech and steam apps...

I don't think the mod has been updated for the newest patch yet. It works for .13, havn't tried it for .17 yet. Also, you should try fiddling with WHERE the game is located. I made a copy of the whole civ4 folder and put it where I could see the mod assumed it to be. It worked.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

I don't have room where the mod assumes it's supposed to be though... hmmm.

I'll see what I can do.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

Btw, I might recommend this:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=284205
as it fixes at least 2 really bad bugs in the BTS Civ4 AI engine, and makes a few improvements.

You'll get nasty things like "by the time you reach the other continent, an AI has managed to take over the entire place", due to smarter and more opportunistic AI assaults. Plus the start of better naval warfare.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:56 pm UTC

I'd really like som response on my situation, though... I'm not sure if I should restart the game or not - I don't need to be completely annihalated in my first game.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

Phen, what difficulty level? Have you played a game "like this" before?

Because at the lowest difficulty level, with previous "world game" experience, ... you could win if you where completely surrounded by hostile AIs. :-) You could still lose, but it wouldn't be a given.

Start growing. Try to keep your units seasoned (to help against mind worms). Remember to build new types of units as you advance in the workshop -- but keep an eye on costs! (Some things, like fast high-defense, are extra expensive).

See if it is economical to build a new settlement, and defend it.

Build terraformers, and defenders for them.

When you get supply crawlers, find a nice rocky patch, build a mine and build a supply base to funnel resources back home.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:09 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:Phen, what difficulty level? Have you played a game "like this" before?

Because at the lowest difficulty level, with previous "world game" experience, ... you could win if you where completely surrounded by hostile AIs. :-) You could still lose, but it wouldn't be a given.

Start growing. Try to keep your units seasoned (to help against mind worms). Remember to build new types of units as you advance in the workshop -- but keep an eye on costs! (Some things, like fast high-defense, are extra expensive).

When you get supply crawlers, find a nice rocky patch, build a mine and build a supply base to funnel resources back home.

Played Civ4, obviously, since I tried Planetfall briefly, first ;) It's just that this leaves very little room for expanding and I've heard that the best advice for University is to avoid Believers - which I've failed horribly, apparantly.

(Also, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=280195 might work to convert planetfall to .17)

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:37 pm UTC

Phen wrote:
Yakk wrote:Phen, what difficulty level? Have you played a game "like this" before?

Played Civ4, obviously, since I tried Planetfall briefly, first ;) It's just that this leaves very little room for expanding and I've heard that the best advice for University is to avoid Believers - which I've failed horribly, apparantly.

(Also, http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=280195 might work to convert planetfall to .17)

How powerful is Miriam right now compared to you and the Spartans, and how are you doing in terms of technology relative to everyone else? If Miriam really isn't all that strong, see if you can keep her happy long enough to get a significant tech lead. If Miriam is a little bit stronger than you, but you're about even with Colonel Santiago, see if you can get her in an alliance with you against Miriam (or if Santiago is the bigger threat, align with Miriam to take her out, and just hope you get more bases out of it). If either of them is strong enough that there's clearly no balance of power, maybe just accept your bad luck and start a new game. If you were next to anyone else, you could probably get away with not having a lot of room to expand, and just build up your infrastructure until you're either advanced enough that you can outproduce other factions anyway, or just go for a tech victory (on the easier 3 or 4 difficulty levels, you'd be surprised how much of a lead you can build up if you manage to avoid major conflicts for most of the game), but that really isn't as much of an option when you start next to the two most aggressive factions.

- Garrison Keillor -

Phen

Postby Phen » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

I'm just playing on - although I've had Yang decleare a vendetta against me because I didn't agree to go to war with the UN. I'm getting too tired to take it all in, though... Getting a lot of techs all of the time. As far as I've understood it, those techs with a higher number next to them (Like D3) is better than those below, but most of Deidre just offered me a lot of trades me her getting a 3 while I got a 4.

Tried to manage the formers, but eventually just put 'em all on auto. I keep forgetting that cities will just continue building X-unit, instead of stopping and asking for directions...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

Phen wrote:Tried to manage the formers, but eventually just put 'em all on auto. I keep forgetting that cities will just continue building X-unit, instead of stopping and asking for directions...
Auto formers tends to not work out too well. I generally just build forests/mines with them (mines anywhere rocky, forests anywhere not) but that requires heading for tree farms to not cripple your growth (forests normally give 1 nutrient, regardless of how rainy the square is. Awesome in arid zones, not so awesome in rainy ones).

As for the cities, go to preferences and set it so that the game pauses before the turn ends, and cycle through your bases to make sure they're all doing what they're supposed to.* If a base is going to grow next turn, make sure it won't have a drone riot if it does- if it's at risk for a riot, make one of the workers a doctor. If this drops your nutrient income to 0 you'll still grow, but if it drops it to negative the base will start slowly starving. This isn't as important on the lower difficulties (because you can get a much larger population before drone riots become an issue) but is a good habit to have.

*This is one of the reasons I really prefer playing on smaller maps- I like being able to micromanage my entire empire well, and have a good-sized empire at 3-5 cities. If you play on huge and stop at only 20ish cities, you're screwed.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

Faction Creating:
SMACX comes with an easy faction creator, whereby you load another faction's file and are able to change nearly everything about it.

However you will use their photo/city artwork.
I know the files that contain the images, but I am unsure how to make them link to a newly created faction file.

Anyone know how?

Gravitas Shortfall

Postby Gravitas Shortfall » Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:22 am UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Faction Creating:
SMACX comes with an easy faction creator, whereby you load another faction's file and are able to change nearly everything about it.

I know the files that contain the images, but I am unsure how to make them link to a newly created faction file.

Anyone know how?

I don't use the SMACX editor, but if you go to the Alpha Centauri section of apolyton.net and look in their files section, there's a freeware faction editor for SMAC. When you save a new faction, it'll automatically create a new set of image files that you can easily modify in your favorite photo editor.

- Garrison Keillor -

Ian Ex Machina

Postby Ian Ex Machina » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:01 pm UTC

Ian Ex Machina wrote:Faction Creating:

Anyone know how?

I don't use the SMACX editor, but if you go to the Alpha Centauri section of apolyton.net and look in their files section, there's a freeware faction editor for SMAC. When you save a new faction, it'll automatically create a new set of image files that you can easily modify in your favorite photo editor.

I can't get that to work :(
Apparently my file of Tabctl32.ocx is missing (nope) or corrupt.
May have to just copy another factions picture files and change completely, for the icons/leaders/bases.

Edit- I'm just going to photoshop with minimal skills at pixel details so just abusing other pictures.

When I'm done I'll host my Faction so others can criticise/provide suggestions.
Last edited by Ian Ex Machina on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:45 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Hulyen

Postby Hulyen » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:32 pm UTC

GREATEST GAME. I think I actually own 2 copies of it....I got the original right when it came out, because I was a Civ2 addict. Then I stupidly didn't pick up the expansion because I thought it would go down in price later (I have the worst sense for that - I did the same thing for Rez for PS2. And Disgaea.) But I eventually stumbled across a 'Laptop Game Pack' or something along those lines that had Alien Crossfire in it. It was one of those '5 outdated games for 10-20 bucks' packs.

I still pull out Alpha Centauri on a regular basis because it is full of win. Plus, the Gaians are so wonderfully cheap.

Every time I see news about a new Firaxis game, I keep hoping it'll be Alpha Centauri 2...

Return to “Gaming”