Science: The Gathering (?)

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Science: The Gathering (?)

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 12, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

So I imagine quite a few pepole here have played a bit of "Magic: The Gathering" in their day.
However, what someone, us, ought to make, is Science the gathering.
The colours, white - black - green - blue - red can be replaced by fields of science
Physics - Chemistry - Biology - Maths - Sociology, therein including economics and psychology and the like.

"creatures" would be Famous scientists, "Mana" could be places in your university, or graduate students.

Let us geek out on this topic, What scientists would be included, what stats would they have?

GO!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat May 12, 2007 9:18 pm UTC

lol, and what would they do, fight?

Or maybe battle for a higher ranking. Whoever writes more papers wins. You can only write a paper when the competing scientists in the field have been defeated, however.

Instead of land you could have industry. Construction powers physics, drug companies power biology, mass production powers chemistry, etc. National Science Foundation powers any science type!

The most powerful scientist would be Einstein, 5 papers at once FTW!! (or was it 4?)
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 12, 2007 9:23 pm UTC

The offensive/defensive power would be papers put out. he who puts out most papers wins!

And some would have special abilities, such as being able to support another scientist. And some might have the 'falsify' special ability, which has a chance of backfiring.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Re: Science: The Gathering (?)

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat May 12, 2007 9:32 pm UTC

fjafjan wrote:The colours, white - black - green - blue - red can be replaced by fields of science
Physics - Chemistry - Biology - Maths - Sociology, therein including economics and psychology and the like.

colour/field need re-ordering
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 12, 2007 9:34 pm UTC

I propose that Heisenberg should be as powerful as Einstein, his discoveries about the uncertainty of things are much more fundamental to the nature of modern science than the matter of Mass energy and speed of light.

as for the colour fields they weren't supposed to be in the same order
i would say
sociology - Black
Maths - White
Biology - Green
Physics - Red
Chemistry Blue

My strongest is that Biology ought to be green, cause it's about nature and shit. Usually being represented as, you know, GREEN.
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat May 12, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

Physics should totally be black because of space.

-J.W. Morris

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat May 12, 2007 9:38 pm UTC

BTW:

Black: death and death effects
White: Healing and defence
Green: RAAAAWR! Raw power
Red: Instant gratification
Blue: Can't touch this, bitches.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Sat May 12, 2007 9:47 pm UTC

In Magic yes, but this is Science!

and a Blue deck needn't be QUITE that assholey, I remember there being an enchantment when I was only hearing about it and not play it, that was like
For 2 mana you can play any card. Or something crazy like that, I remember it was blue and it was like "wtf"?.

But okey, Physics can be Black, then white will have to be chemistry, which also makes a bit of sence since it's closely connected with medecine. (ofcourse also poison nerve gas and the like but SHHH!)
So Sociology Blue, and Red Maths.

Oh, and didn't black have the best wall?
0:1 no creature or instant can deal damamge to this shit?
I think it was something like that

bigglesworth
I feel like Biggles should have a title

Postby bigglesworth » Sat May 12, 2007 10:22 pm UTC

Red for chemistry i'd say- fire! and iron oxide, sodium e.c.t.

White for maths: whiteboards, pure compared to other disciplines...

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sat May 12, 2007 11:02 pm UTC

Banding = "Collaberation"

Creatures = Scientists

Lands = Universities (Cambridge, Harvard etc would be Legendary Universities)

Manna = Funding (categorised according to which field the funding is for)

Artefacts = Lab equipment (e.g. BlueGene supercomputer, supercollider etc)

Plagiarism: One target scientist gains -1,-1 and one other target scientist gains +1,+1 until end of turn

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Sun May 13, 2007 1:10 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Banding = "Collaberation"

Wow, you've really dated yourself with this...

Zach

Postby Zach » Sun May 13, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Not a scientist, but I can't resist.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun May 13, 2007 1:49 am UTC

Rysto wrote:

:(

I never got ridiculously into Magic (i.e. never got more than one deck) but it's still good fun now and again :)

The first pack I got was Mirage. I was about 12 at the time. I have no idea what the names of other sets are, but for those of you in the know that'll date me quite well.

So... how does "banding" work nowadays?

Zach

Postby Zach » Sun May 13, 2007 1:52 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:
Rysto wrote:

:(

I never got ridiculously into Magic (i.e. never got more than one deck) but it's still good fun now and again :)

The first pack I got was Mirage. I was about 12 at the time. I have no idea what the names of other sets are, but for those of you in the know that'll date me quite well.

So... how does "banding" work nowadays?

Banding is automatic, and all creatures have it unless otherwise specified.

All creaturs can band with all creatures.

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Sun May 13, 2007 1:54 am UTC

Zach wrote:Banding is automatic, and all creatures have it unless otherwise specified.

Well if banding = collaberation, that represents the greatly increased amount of collaberation going on nowadays.

Or something.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Sun May 13, 2007 2:33 am UTC

SpitValve wrote:Manna = Funding (categorised according to which field the funding is for)

You beat me to this, but that was my immediate thought as well, mana should be funding or grants.

I did play quite a bit of magic back in the day when it was cool (Ice Age), but I think we ought to do land a bit like the Star Wars CCG that was around back then, so like different cities are different planets that you can't move guys around on without planes or cars or whatever, but Departments at these different universities in these cities are specific places, and some are more powerful than others as far as generating Funding goes. Some are also more distant.

I also feel that Conferences should be involved somehow, maybe as the equivalent of a common sourcery. You can call a conference at a particular location, and all scientists above a certain powerlevel are brought to a particular location, where they have a massive battle.

And off-topic, but the initial posting of color->subject correlations bears an uncanny resemblance to my notebook color-coding scheme.
Last edited by UmbrageOfSnow on Sun May 13, 2007 4:23 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

Toeofdoom
The (Male) Skeleton Guitarist

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun May 13, 2007 4:04 am UTC

first thing, you have the colours all wrong: Blue is about exploring the base of magic and all everything else. This fits mathematicians better, as everyone knows all other forms of science are based on maths and maths can stand without any form of science behind it.

Also, I reccomend the explosion connection for red = chemistry. Red ARE the guys who tinker with stuff that somehow explodes... so...

Green goes to biology... cause thats fricking obvious.

Physics should be white, cause it is like blue except more practically applied at times. also, wrath of god = nuke, white was also interested in the sun aka fusion reactors.

Sociology definitely black, so maybe you got that right. Cause black is all about helping itself, like marketing and tv and all that which have alot of sociology input.

These are not gameplay terms alot of the time but more idealogical.
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 4:07 am UTC

I would put sociology with blue, actually, since blue has all the mind magic, and we're folding psychology into sociology....
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Sun May 13, 2007 4:10 am UTC

I dont really think that would work as well... we obviously aren't gonna get a perfect match...

and maths has like... psychohistory >.>
Hawknc wrote:Gotta love our political choices here - you can pick the unionised socially conservative party, or the free-market even more socially conservative party. Oh who to vote for…I don't know, I think I'll just flip a coin and hope it explodes and kills me.

Website

Belial

Postby Belial » Sun May 13, 2007 4:12 am UTC

Well, I could see Sociology as Black in as much as social interaction *is* the bane of nerds...

They/them

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Sun May 13, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

Feynman - Studying in Strip Clubs, and all that. If you could party with anyone, it would have to be the physicists of the 40s - 50s, parties all night at the labs, poker for wages and such, although math should have some interesting scientists as well, all the probability majors and what not.

Comp Sci? Or does it not count? Yellow?

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Mon May 14, 2007 12:25 am UTC

I've never seen/played magic, and all I have is MS paint:

(blue = sociology)

Uhhh Science the gathering seems like a cool idea, maybe more people should post cards?

(took me 5 mins to make - someone better post a lol :twisted: )

Not mine:
=]

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Mon May 14, 2007 2:47 am UTC

As a rule, you can't play any other cards until you've played The Goggles.

Do artifacts still have summoning sickness when they come into play? Did they ever, or was that just that one card? I think it had a polar bear in the image? Man...it's been so long. I think I've forgotten more about M:tg than all the crap that has bloated it since I stopped paying attention to it.

While I find this exercise painfully boring, I think in the colour-mapping, Psychology should replace Sociology, as it is at least remotely scientific. Speaking as a social sciences grad, it's right up there with liberal arts.

Oh, and there should be Elder Dragons that represent ancient Greek scientists--because no one plays them anymore.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

Toeofdoom

Postby Toeofdoom » Mon May 14, 2007 2:54 am UTC

only creatures have summoning sickness. so if its an artifact creature it does, if its a normal artifact it doesnt.

Just call black social sciences. Note that games are included in social sciences too, and they are the cause of all violence in society, right? :P

Website

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Mon May 14, 2007 3:09 am UTC

What the hell do sociology and "social sciences" have to do with science?

Ooh, just had a thought - "Religion: The Gathering". Types could be Abrahamic, Buddhist, Greek, Hindu, and uh... someone help me out here... Mana could be replaced with followers, virgins could be sacrificed, prayers replace spells...
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

Nyarlathotep
Not a god. Not even a titan.

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon May 14, 2007 4:36 pm UTC

Toeofdoom wrote:first thing, you have the colours all wrong: Blue is about exploring the base of magic and all everything else. This fits mathematicians better, as everyone knows all other forms of science are based on maths and maths can stand without any form of science behind it.

Also, I reccomend the explosion connection for red = chemistry. Red ARE the guys who tinker with stuff that somehow explodes... so...

Green goes to biology... cause thats fricking obvious.

Physics should be white, cause it is like blue except more practically applied at times. also, wrath of god = nuke, white was also interested in the sun aka fusion reactors.

Sociology definitely black, so maybe you got that right. Cause black is all about helping itself, like marketing and tv and all that which have alot of sociology input.

Agreed, particularly in terms of blue. MATHS ARE BLUE, DAMN IT. 'cause you can't touch this.

Particularly if you consider Logic to be a subset of mathematics (technically I know it's philosophy but you can reduce it to mathematics)

2 blue: Counter target argument. No matter how obtuse your reasoning.

Hm. Can sociology destroy all biology scientists, and they can't be regenerated? (perish)

This is starting to turn into a whacked out RPS game...
'Gehȳrst þū, sǣlida, hwæt þis folc segeð?
hī willað ēow tō gafole gāras syllan,
ǣttrynne ord and ealde swurd,
þā heregeatu þe ēow æt hilde ne dēah.

mister k

Postby mister k » Mon May 14, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

Cauchy Sequnce-instant, 2W, one generic

Target permenant becomes convergent if in a complete space or subset

a permenant is convergent to a point x it if for all epsillon it approaches an epsillon neighborhood of that point (with respect to the metric defined on that space)

Maths the gathering- we make learning definitions fun!

Solt

Postby Solt » Mon May 14, 2007 6:44 pm UTC

Attacks (against land):

Chemistry: poison the water supply of target institution

Biology: infest target institution with termites

Physics: provide target institution with faulty particle accelerator parts (if anyone goes to U of Chicago, I'm just kidding. maybe.)

Math: perform biased statistical analysis to suggest target institution is a poor value for your money (institutions with extra prestige are invulnerable)

Sociology: dramatically increase crime rate on and around target institution

Obviously Math is weakest here but that's ok because in return, math does not require nearly as many resources as the other sciences.

Also, physics would be the most resource intensive science, because of the high cost of building research tools, but at the same time physicists would be the most effective at battle, because physics is easily the most popular science in the public eye.

-J.W. Morris

PtS

Postby PtS » Mon May 14, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

Zach wrote:
SpitValve wrote:So... how does "banding" work nowadays?

I've played MtG about a year and never heard of banding. What is it?
My life is 50% sarcasm and 50% sick humour.

-Me (said with 50% sarcasm)

mr_snafleburger

Postby mr_snafleburger » Mon May 14, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

Cards and respective sciences can be Multi-color don't forget! that might solve some the the less evenly placed fields.

Also, the scientists should have abilities in aggreance with their discoveries

Newton's first law: An object at rest tends to stay at rest and an object in motion tends to stay in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.
Gives him trample
the is no i in (team)^2

space_raptor

Postby space_raptor » Mon May 14, 2007 8:02 pm UTC

You guys need to go the hell outside. Jebus.
The drinking will continue until morale improves.

Zach

Postby Zach » Mon May 14, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

PtS wrote:
Zach wrote:
SpitValve wrote:So... how does "banding" work nowadays?

I've played MtG about a year and never heard of banding. What is it?

If you have a 2/1 Goblin and a 1/1 Cleric, and use them both to block a 3/3 Golem, you are using banding.

In other words, whenever you block one creature with two or more creatures, you're banding.

That's totally wrong, n00b.

Rysto

Postby Rysto » Mon May 14, 2007 8:16 pm UTC

Zach wrote:If you have a 2/1 Goblin and a 1/1 Cleric, and use them both to block a 3/3 Golem, you are using banding.

In other words, whenever you block one creature with two or more creatures, you're banding.

Ok, maybe that's true today, but back in the day banding was a specific creature ability.

If either your Goblin or Cleric had banding, you got to distribute the combat damage. If neither had banding, the attacking player got to distribute the combat damage.

You could also choose to band creatures in an attack. You had to do this before blocking assignments were made. The band essentially acted as a single creature, and you got to distribute combat damage among all creatures in the band(but they all could be blocked by a single creature).

In order to band n creatures together, n-1 of them had to have banding.

Belial

Postby Belial » Mon May 14, 2007 8:22 pm UTC

What the hell do sociology and "social sciences" have to do with science?

What does biology have to do with science?

Just another layer of abstraction.

Actually, I can't say anything about sociology, maybe that's less scientific than I think it is, but psychology is pretty scientific, it just gets a bad rep from people who think their science is more "sciencey" because they shoot particles at other particles rather than observing human or rat behaviour.

They/them

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Mon May 14, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

"HA! My Einstein Physics Elemental just PWNED your Maxwell's demon!"

"Time for me to play my Darwin's MONSTER Fruit Fly."

"Zeno's Paradoxes freeze your Mathematician for another turn."

EDIT: Hm... what WOULD the Elementals be?

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Mon May 14, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

notzeb wrote:What the hell do sociology and "social sciences" have to do with science?

They are usually part of universities, people publish studies in various social studies field.
Ofcourse it's alot more complex and virtually impossible to turn it into straigh mathematical formulas but it's still science even if it doesn't have test tubes and giant machines.
Sociology is probbaly going to take another hundred years or so, just like Physics, Chemistry and all other fields, have taken before getting to a more reliable level overall, but already there is alot of good science being done in that field. I think it would be an insult to leave em out there.

Tl;dr I suggest you look right after the word social and you might get a clue

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon May 14, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

[quote= "The Fjaf"]
Tl;dr I suggest you look right after the word social and you might get a clue[/quote]

Wait, so Cryptozoology is a science?!

Messiah

Postby Messiah » Mon May 14, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

RealGrouchy wrote:As a rule, you can't play any other cards until you've played The Goggles.

And the lab coat. And the signed OH&S agreement. And.....

These are awesome. If I knew more about Magic: The Gathering, I'd start making the cards now. I'm gonna get on Google/Wikipidea, and start learning me some rules!
"The possession of anything begins in the mind" - Bruce Lee

Belial

Postby Belial » Tue May 15, 2007 12:19 am UTC

Wait, so Cryptozoology is a science?!

Yes. It's jut not terribly well done.

They/them

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Tue May 15, 2007 2:14 am UTC

Rysto wrote:
Zach wrote:If you have a 2/1 Goblin and a 1/1 Cleric, and use them both to block a 3/3 Golem, you are using banding.

Ok, maybe that's true today, but back in the day banding was a specific creature ability.

If either your Goblin or Cleric had banding, you got to distribute the combat damage. If neither had banding, the attacking player got to distribute the combat damage.

You could also choose to band creatures in an attack. You had to do this before blocking assignments were made. The band essentially acted as a single creature, and you got to distribute combat damage among all creatures in the band(but they all could be blocked by a single creature).

In order to band n creatures together, n-1 of them had to have banding.

That's still true today.

Return to “Gaming”