Dear Esther

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

greenpixel

Dear Esther

Postby greenpixel » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 am UTC

I recently heard about this game - a free HL2 mod - in a UK games magazine, and let me tell you, it's brilliant. If you love games that tell a story and make their own path then you'll love it too. There is no shooting involved, you just walk around a Scottish island discovering more about its past. The story is told in voice over form but there are four different stories and the sound clips are chosen at random at points in the map. It gets scary as hell in parts and it's great to play through a few times to see what new insight you gain about the characters in the voiceover and the island itself. The whole thing takes less than an hour.

So here's a link to the developer's website, where you can download the game from. You need to have steam installed and unzip the game into your sourcemods folder.
http://www.thechineseroom.co.uk/

Tell your thoughts on what the story means and what you think of the game as a whole and how all he stories fit together!

I think rather than being a certain character, you play out different parts of each character's time on the island.

Ishindri

Re: Dear Esther

Postby Ishindri » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:11 am UTC

Dear Esther is a favorite mod of mine. I'm still not sure what's going on in it, but it's awesome. I've got a few of my own theories, but I'll save them for a later post because it would take time (and spoilers) to explain.

In any case, one enterprising modder has taken it upon himself to redo Dear Esther with the blessing of the creator. The voiceovers will stay the same, but the effects and level geometry will be massively improved.

Drool-inducing screenshots here: http://www.littlelostpoly.co.uk/devblog/
All is well. We are not like the others.

Return to “Gaming”