Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Re: Starcraft 2 : The Dune II Clone

Postby Yakk » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

You mean, warp in 3 sentries at the ramp, forcefield the ramp, and attack?

The main is going to have unit production going on, so you won't be alone for long.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Yeah, but if you catch it while the opponent's army is at their natural, your forcefields mean they can only reinforce with newly built units. So if you keep warping in sentries/zealots/stalkers with the warp prism you should, with the damage you're doing to their economy, be more than a match for anything they can use to try and kill you.

NeoSteranko

Postby NeoSteranko » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

lol but that would require a LOT of luck. Personally, i like to build and KEEP banelings all over my bases. burrowed, of course

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

NeoSteranko wrote:lol but that would require a LOT of luck. Personally, i like to build and KEEP banelings all over my bases. burrowed, of course

Even against P? That's quite an investment if they never drop zealots or sentries.
The Reaper wrote:Evolution is a really really really long run-on sentence.

NeoSteranko

Postby NeoSteranko » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
NeoSteranko wrote:lol but that would require a LOT of luck. Personally, i like to build and KEEP banelings all over my bases. burrowed, of course

Even against P? That's quite an investment if they never drop zealots or sentries.

Well, yea. I mean, banelings can discourage drops AND dark templars.

(since you know, dts ARE the most cost efficient at killing banelings)

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

NeoSteranko wrote:
Game_boy wrote:

You might actually be way ahead of the pros here. Since P drops are more common, Z will have to start using their ZvT skills. Otherwise we see these sentry strats take them by surprise.

Like the fact that Terrans don't make a Raven in ZvT but they'd save so many scans and baneling mines / burrowed infestor surprises if they did.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

I don't see it happening. By the time drops become a huge threat you've already got three or four bases. Putting 5 or six supply worth of banelings at each base is a pretty big investment in gas and supply compared to a few spines and spores.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:24 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
NeoSteranko wrote:
Game_boy wrote:

You might actually be way ahead of the pros here. Since P drops are more common, Z will have to start using their ZvT skills. Otherwise we see these sentry strats take them by surprise.

Like the fact that Terrans don't make a Raven in ZvT but they'd save so many scans and baneling mines / burrowed infestor surprises if they did.

For a while it became the done thing to get a Raven in vZ, and then infestor/BL became the done thing and bio fell out of favour, so Ravens weren't as necessary since burrowed banelings vs Mech isn't as good.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:43 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
For a while it became the done thing to get a Raven in vZ, and then infestor/BL became the done thing and bio fell out of favour, so Ravens weren't as necessary since burrowed banelings vs Mech isn't as good.

I've seen a lot of marine counts over 50 today.

Is this best MLG yet?

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Jesse wrote:

I've seen a lot of marine counts over 50 today.

Is this best MLG yet?

Oh yeah, bio is definitely back now don't get me wrong, but I was explaining why Raven play first disappeared. Unfortunately it's yet to reappear. I think it will though.

I don't know about best. It's probably the most surprising MLG yet, but for getting me totally hooked that'd be the previous one. And the MMA win is my favourite just for MMA winning.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Naniwa.

Edit: .............

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:For a while it became the done thing to get a Raven in vZ, and then infestor/BL became the done thing and bio fell out of favour, so Ravens weren't as necessary since burrowed banelings vs Mech isn't as good.

I mean, I -really- want to just build ravens every game. Mobile detection moving around on the map against zerg is just amazing. But the fact is that they just don't really have useful spells in TvZ, and I want all my starports on reactors all game.

PDD can work against mutas, but you're better off just making sure you have your marines spread around your tanks as you start slow pushing. It keeps them safe and gives you much better engagements anyway. Turrets are cool, and I'd love to throw down a row of turrets in front of oncoming banes, but not worth the investment in the 4-5 high energy ravens I'd need to get enough turrets down to block them off. (Or at least, I've never had the spare gas and tech labbed starports to just try it out... I'll see if I can get a zerg to let me try it against them).

Seeker missile is okay, but needs research and a lot of energy, and most units can just dodge it anyway. maybe with a mech comp to deal with mass roach without needing mass tanks to support hellion/thor.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:07 am UTC

Reactor hellion opening vZ, get a starport with tech lab, make raven then swap starport and factory for siege and medivacs.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:10 am UTC

Spoiler:
Naniwa did the best Protoss micro of all time in those finals. Wasn't enough. His only mistake for 4 games was to not see incoming roaches.

And now a 16 year old has won $50k playing a video game.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:23 am UTC

That's a pretty big "only mistake" to make game after game after game, though.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:26 pm UTC

My new computer came! Anyone want to play SC2 with me tonight? Warning, I'm not terribly good.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:49 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My new computer came! Anyone want to play SC2 with me tonight? Warning, I'm not terribly good.

Which server?

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Reactor hellion opening vZ, get a starport with tech lab, make raven then swap starport and factory for siege and medivacs.

200 gas that early, getting a starport and raven before tanks. I hope you make at least 1-2 marauders so you don't just completely roll to the zergs who like to see 4 helliona and just pump roach off 2 base to see if they can kill you.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My new computer came! Anyone want to play SC2 with me tonight? Warning, I'm not terribly good.
I've played like, one game since they reset the ladders (it put me into low silver, I was high bronze before the reset), but I'd be up for some matches. Name is Rye, code is 693.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:05 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:
Which server?
Easy.

Which server would assume that which server wasn't something they should supply? :)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:21 am UTC

It's still updating and unpacking various things. And I had to clean my fishtank. I'll hit you guys tomorrow hopefully. My bnet name is also Izawwlgood.

And yeah, why would server matter for a private game?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:50 am UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:It's still updating and unpacking various things. And I had to clean my fishtank. I'll hit you guys tomorrow hopefully. My bnet name is also Izawwlgood.

And yeah, why would server matter for a private game?
Actually don't think you can do cross-server customs either. Which sucks. So I suppose I should specify I'm on NA server.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:23 am UTC

|Erasmus| wrote:
Jesse wrote:Reactor hellion opening vZ, get a starport with tech lab, make raven then swap starport and factory for siege and medivacs.

200 gas that early, getting a starport and raven before tanks. I hope you make at least 1-2 marauders so you don't just completely roll to the zergs who like to see 4 helliona and just pump roach off 2 base to see if they can kill you.

Scouting is your friend. If you see roach then make a banshee over a Raven and their roaches will die horribly.

Also, of course I make marauders, I'm Terran. What Terran never makes marauders?

J the Ninja

Postby J the Ninja » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:16 am UTC

We'll also need your character code to find you, it's a 3 digit number, you can find it by mousing over your profile pic either in-game or on battle.net. If you're on the north american server, join the chat channel "xkcd", most of us go in there when we're online.
Shishichi wrote:Applies a sexward force to counter the sexpression effect that Forward Advection can apply to fluid density, particularly along sextainer boundaries. In this way, the sextribute attempts to conserve the overall fluid volume ensuring no density loss.
(he/him/his)

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:And yeah, why would server matter for a private game?

Because Blizzard forgot how to make an online service as good as SC1.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:
|Erasmus| wrote:

Scouting is your friend. If you see roach then make a banshee over a Raven and their roaches will die horribly.

Also, of course I make marauders, I'm Terran. What Terran never makes marauders?
The ones too busy making marines?

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

Jesse, have you seen this? One of the more popular commentators, Ahnaris, evidently likes to support other SC2 casters by letting the put videos up in his channel to get their name out. That's a video of a guy named Commissar1 who, honestly, kind of sucked. You're twice the caster he is, Jesse, and I'm sure if you put a game on Ahnaris's channel where you say "dastardly" a few times you'll be replacing Tastosis.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

That sounds awesome, and was unaware of it. So, poll, what game do I put up? Personally, I'm thinking either the awesome MC/PuMa one, or the hilarious 4vs4.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

I would definitely recommend a pro-game. The antics of the XKCD forums probably aren't that exciting to the StarCraft community at large.
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:10 pm UTC

I'll send him a message, and ask his thoughts. I'd actually love to send him the cast I am uploading right now, but he just casted the game himself, so meh.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:04 am UTC

I like the crazy games like that 4v4 you casted. But I also only watch your videos and When Cheese Fails 101.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:12 am UTC

He has been messages, waiting on a reply. Meanwhile, YouTube has invited me to monetise my videos, so that's nice. Trying it on #77, and then any future ones made. If they accept, then hurray. All will be good.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:24 am UTC

"But I like it
Because it is bitter,

Avin

Postby Avin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 am UTC

So I've got a couple replays for the current Funday Monday (play a 4on4 where one player is the Champion - that player may build no more than 20 workers all game, and all his allies may build no more than 20 supply worth of units all game). One in which two of my "feeder" allies mothership rushed :p

What are the submission guidelines for Funday Monday games? I've never submitted one before. Put in a short description of the game in the email? Anything else?

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:33 am UTC

Clear subject line, short description in the email body, probably mention which one of you is the champion, and any particularly intereting events that happened in the game. Don't write too many words, remember that they get thousands of these, so they don't want to spend their time reading instead of watching games...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:06 am UTC

Blizzard Cup: So many foreign fan favourites in one group one of them has to get through! (Hero, Stephano and to some extent DRG)

Be there, or be sensible by being asleep at 4am US time.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Also Naniwa, but that's not today. I think he's playing tomorrow. I forget the schedule.

Bad thign is, I just got in from work, so I'm gonna miss watching it live today and tomorrow, but am up all night the night after so will catch up on both then.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:37 am UTC

I went to the WCG finals over the weekend - saw mvp's semifinal and the final. He basically just roflstomped both his (Zerg) opponents - it looks like some of the earlier games were much closer, so I'm a little sad I missed out on those. Was still good fun, though - I should try and get to more live SC2 games while I'm in Korea.

|Erasmus|
Branson

Postby |Erasmus| » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:22 am UTC

Game_boy wrote:Blizzard Cup: So many foreign fan favourites in one group one of them has to get through! (Hero, Stephano and to some extent DRG)

Be there, or be sensible by being asleep at 4am US time.

Or have it start about 10 minutes after you get home from work/gym cause you live in Australia... (One of the really awesome things about living here).

Game_boy

Postby Game_boy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 am UTC

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=294711

I am not going to buy GSL's 2012 ticket. I was going to spend over $140 on GSL and GSTL next year but no more. I bought every 2011 ticket.

(In a game that did not affect ranking or prize money because both players were eliminated from the group 0-3 in Blizzard Cup, Naniwa probe rushed instead of playing a serious game. This is not against any GOM rule. But GOM have decided to revoke Naniwa's Code S spot that he qualified for by winning MLG Providence (i.e. was a qualifier not an invite) because of the pressure of the Korean reaction.)

My take: This is a more severe reaction than when Koreans like Byun/Coca/Choya cheated in GSL qualifiers. I bet if Naniwa was Korean no one would have noticed. If Naniwa 2gated or4gated nonseriously, which would be equivalent, would that have been against GOM's rules? What level of trying your best is acceptable? It's pretty much GOM's fault for making them play a worthless game.

EDIT: What disgusts me the most is all the posts on TL saying "Good job GOMtv I just bought my ticket!". They are confusing whether it was right (it wasn't) with whether he should be punished (no, because it's an inconsistent and arbitrary application of the rules). Naniwa has no responsibility to GOM to be entertaining or to make esports look good when he plays. Those responsibilities he has as a Quantic team member; I would be OK if the team punhished him for image reasons but not GOM.

EDIT2: The director of GOMtv called Naniwa just an "amateur prize money hunter" on air. Mistranslation apparently. The rest stands.
Last edited by Game_boy on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gaming”