Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Vaniver

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Quite the... member on those creatures, Yakk.

After looking at youtube for a bit, I'm sort of scared of connecting to the internet with Spore when I get it. It seems likely that my creation will get invaded by a flock of penises, and I'm not sure they'll be able to beat them.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Screw downloading the extra parts.

This creature creator is far more than cool enough to drop 10$ on. :)

While I'm downloading the full version:

The upgraded Brodian:
Brodian2.png
Brodian2.png (26.51 KiB) Viewed 3244 times

A new, flying critter. He's real cute:
Buzrar.png
Buzrar.png (28.82 KiB) Viewed 3239 times

Spoiler:
CRE_Buzrar-06837efb_sml.jpg
CRE_Buzrar-06837efb_sml.jpg (190.53 KiB) Viewed 3219 times
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:54 am UTC

Babamthegrunt wrote:I <3 the creature creator...
Hmmm Cthullu, yes someone should do Cthullu :D

I might try that when I get home. I wonder if there are enough parts available to make a proper squidface.

Edit: http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-cthulhu

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:13 pm UTC

Woah how do you get the double-jointed legs like some of those spore creations have? Or is that something you need the full version for :/

That's another thing I'm confused about: What's the deal with the $10 full version? Does that mean that Spore is gonna be sold separately from the creature creator? Or are you just buying it twice if you get it for $10 now? It just seems like the Halo 3 map rip-offs where you can either get them for $10 immediately, or wait 3 months and get them free.

Master Gunner

Postby Master Gunner » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:28 pm UTC

The Spore Creature Creator will be a part of Spore, and is included in the final game.
This is just to give us something to remind us about Spore and how awesome it will be, and they figured they could make some extra money off of it.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:35 pm UTC

The 10$ version gets you 5$ off the full game when you buy it online. Supposadly. And it really is just a way for them to make some preview money off a tool before the game comes out. And a way to get lots of creatures to include for those internetless people who get the game.

Xanthir
My HERO!!!

Postby Xanthir » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:38 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Woah how do you get the double-jointed legs like some of those spore creations have? Or is that something you need the full version for :/

That's another thing I'm confused about: What's the deal with the $10 full version? Does that mean that Spore is gonna be sold separately from the creature creator? Or are you just buying it twice if you get it for $10 now? It just seems like the Halo 3 map rip-offs where you can either get them for $10 immediately, or wait 3 months and get them free.

The $10 Creature Creator is a way for you to get to play with some of Spore early. It also comes with a $5-off coupon for Spore, so you end up only paying $5 for the thing.

And it is exactly like the "Halo 3 map ripoffs". Some people will find it is worth it to get something early, and they'll pay for it. After one has made one's money, why not release it for everyone? If one was not upfront about this, I could see someone getting a little upset, but the Spore people outline exactly what's going on here.

I'm very sad that I'm unable to run the Creature Creator on either my work or home computer. It gives me a DirectX error here at work (likely because my DirectX is too advanced), and it home the installer wont' even boot up. I'm also sad that my computer definitely won't run the full Spore game, and so I'll have to pick up the Wii port (which may honestly be better).
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

Well I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but it just says something about the impatience of the average gamer that they'll pay extra to get content just a short time earlier. I just refuse by principle to buy that kind of content, no matter how much I'd like to have it.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:24 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Well I understand it from a marketing standpoint, but it just says something about the impatience of the average gamer that they'll pay extra to get content just a short time earlier. I just refuse by principle to buy that kind of content, no matter how much I'd like to have it.

That is known as being frugal. I understand, it is good sometimes.

But when 10$ (or 5$ if you end up buying the full game) is very little money, being able to play with the creature creator is fun. :)

Remember: you, quite legally, have access to a creature creator that just has fewer parts. You can enjoy it and do lots of stuff with that creature creator. Those who drop 10$ are saying "thanks, writers and publishers of Spore. Here is a small amount of my productive capacity in exchange for doing what you did -- that toy is really cool!"

By giving 10$ to EA in exchange for Spore, I have sent an economic message. That message is "interesting games like Spore are worth making". I might even end up having to hack my copy of Spore by downloading it from a Pirate web-page, because this particular version of the creature creator is more buggy than a 1980s new york rent-control slum. But that's OK.

I didn't give them 10$ to play the game. I could play the game regardless.

I gave them 10$ because that is what they asked for for validation of the game "Spore" as my personal share in development costs and risks.

On that note, I could choose to send them more money -- maybe buy a few more copies. I have a graduate student friend who currently is worse off -- I could buy them a copy!

In essence, developing a new-kind of game like Spore is a large risk for a game development company. These are the kind of games I want developed, because "100th iteration of polish" games are ok, but I want more than that. So by giving a trivial amount of money, we effectively form a "go Spore!" coop.

And yes, I've had to do this before -- I have a number of games which fail without me downloading CD cracks or hacked copies of them. Hell: I don't think I own any cracks of a game that I haven't purchased.

(And if I can manage to block the stupid copyright law from passing in Canada, I won't even be breaking the law by doing this.)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:54 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Woah how do you get the double-jointed legs like some of those spore creations have? Or is that something you need the full version for :/

You can snap joints to other joints by holding ctrl. Also, you can remove parts of arms and legs by holding ctrl and dragging the arm or leg part (not the little ball thing) away.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

I KNEW there were cool features they were concealing from me! Has someone got a guide for this stuff? The help page seemed pretty sparse.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:35 pm UTC

Okay, I totally love the free trial. This has made me way more excited for Spore than I was a few weeks ago. HOWEVER: I am exceedingly irritated that I can't pay them $10 to get the full version for Mac. :x The whole time, the developers claimed they would release the game for Mac and PC simultaneously. They even released the free trials at the same time... but I can't get the full version?! Seems ridiculous.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

Odd that the macs have a demo at all. I mean, the point of this is a marginal (5$ more) increase in revenue for the game. With 80% of gamers being windows, or primarily windows gamers, the development time that went into making the demo would have to justify only 20% of the profit for the mac side of development.

The same reason most games only get ported to mac when they have a high enough prospective gamer community that would make the port worth it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Been messing around with the free trial and thought I'd post mah cree-chures here too.

Spoiler:
CRE_-0680d050_sml.jpg
I think he's kinda cute...
CRE_-0680d050_sml.jpg (180.57 KiB) Viewed 3017 times

My first one. I like multiple eyes. He also has ears where his nostrils should be.

Spoiler:
CRE_-0684d265_sml.jpg
CRE_-0684d265_sml.jpg (179.48 KiB) Viewed 3013 times

Oh the joys of multiple mouths.

Rippy wrote:I also wish you could make limbs thinner so that they could look skeletal, rather than once again looking like tubes.

I discovered today that you CAN change the thickness of the limbs. Use your scroll wheel while mousing over the spheres that appear at the joints.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:49 am UTC

So I bought and downloaded the official 10$ game.

Spore flaked out as I was downloading, but that was OK. It is pretty flaky.

It "finished". But it didn't ask me to install. Funny. I clicked on "play".

It launched my demo copy. Which proceeded to crash at the splash screen.

Hurm. Time passes, I uninstall the demo version, and poke at the download manager. It starts downloading more content.

After a while, it says I can install it. I install it. All's good!

I play. It crashes during the splash screens.

Hurm.

I double-check my drivers are as updated as they go. I reboot. I uninstall, reinstall. I move it off my portable HDD onto my physical HDD. Nothing works.

A bit of googling... I uninstall the downloading engine. It now works perfectly.

The god damn copy protection made my copy of spore I bought not work. I knew I should have just paid for the game, and then cracked the demo copy. :p~~~

In any case, Wesley:
Wesley.png
Wesley.png (28.59 KiB) Viewed 2982 times

An attempt at a spider creature. It worked pretty well.

I then tried to flip the spine over. Things didn't work so well -- I just wanted to do it for coloring purposes, but it moved all of the limbs (hint: the spine direction controls some coloring features!)

I ended up warping it a bunch .. and then something neat came out of it. Wesley2:
Wesley2.png
Wesley2.png (26.26 KiB) Viewed 2981 times

He's far cuter than mere Wesley!

Next, working on creatures with no hands. Someone has to, so Spore worlds can be populated!

A basic bird:
Baraflap.png
Baraflap.png (24.36 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

An animal I, quite honestly, designed to be eaten by player's creations:
Bowvine.png
Bowvine.png (26.44 KiB) Viewed 2957 times

Jebobek

Spore Creature Extravaganza

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:15 am UTC

Hi all,

If this has been put up already I apologize, but I thought we'd post some of the Spore Creatures some of us have been making! Mine's my new avatar!

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:01 am UTC

I asked my friend for an idea for a creature. All she said was 'basketball eater.' Well, here it is.
Attachments
500001684247.png
500001684247.png (24.41 KiB) Viewed 2928 times

Nomic

Re: Spore Creature Extravaganza

Postby Nomic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:53 am UTC

Looks neat. Where can I get this Spore Creature editor? I'm itching to create things that probably should not be.

Robin S

Re: Spore Creature Extravaganza

Postby Robin S » Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:56 am UTC

It's on the Spore website. Check out the other Spore thread - it's already quite long, and has plenty of other people's creations.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

My Dude actually has a spikey tail but the avatar animation hides it =/ Has anyone messed around with making avatars and got a cool one?

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:33 pm UTC

Got the free demo. It's really cool. But how do I link my critters? I suppose the pictures that contain the data must be somewhere in the Spore file but I can't find em.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:55 pm UTC

When you go into test-drive mode you can take screenshots and videos of it. And you can also make an animated avatar from it. Then you go into My Documents- My Spore Creatures, and there are the folders where they are in. You post the screenshots just like you post image attachements I'm pretty sure. I'd show you an example but I'm on a computer at work (shhh!)

emceng

Postby emceng » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:24 am UTC

Well I was going to download the demo today, but apparently their website is having trouble right now.

Anyway, did anyone think about the book 'Permutation City' when they heard about Spore? It is kind of a similar concept with the created world and such.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Pai

Postby Pai » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:58 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:... Have you played the demo? They are not just "cartoony". I wouldn't mind "cartoony". They just plain suck. If they could just bend their knees it would maybe be bearable.

Edit: Been playing it a bit more, it is pretty fun. With a bit of effort you can kind of force them to walk less stupidly. It's still not going to be the game some people are expecting, though.

I dunno, I think mine turned out okay... I think people just need to figure out how to fully use the tools, which will come with time and practice.
I mean, I don't think mine look too stupidly cartoony. They move pretty nicely too:

I honestly think that once more people learn just how much they can control and edit all the parts, that the quality of their models will likewise improve. I mean it just came out Tuesday, so we're all still beginners at this really.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:12 am UTC

Oh man, those are awesome. Especially the top and bottom ones.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:27 am UTC

Here's some of the creatures I've made with the basic editor.

Scorpash.png
Scorpash.png (26.81 KiB) Viewed 2707 times

Memmops.png
Memmops.png (26.86 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

Agrosaur.png
Agrosaur.png (24.02 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

Draconid.png
Draconid.png (24.78 KiB) Viewed 2705 times

Lurkgrabber.png
Lurkgrabber.png (29.58 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

Amphibitekus.png
Amphibitekus.png (29.25 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

I've been playing around with making 'less capable' critters.

A snake (no legs, no arms):
Snakealope.png
Snakealope.png (23.25 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

A plant:
FernFreak.png
FernFreak.png (25.92 KiB) Viewed 2635 times

(that happens to be an omnivore...)

Cartoony is definately easier than "scary".
BiSpawn.png
BiSpawn.png (25.2 KiB) Viewed 2633 times

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:18 pm UTC

Pai, how'd you get the joints to look bulkier in that first creature? That's the effect I was trying to go for with my zergling limbs.

Seriously, do they give you the complete controls somewhere? Because I need to know them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:21 pm UTC

In the Help section, they do. It's the ? button, if I remember correctly. Look under Controls and Advanced Controls.

And now, I present the most horrific, terrifying, evil monstrosity I have created.

I warn you now, small children and those with a weak heart should not look upon this creature.

Spoiler:
CRE_-0687178f_sml.jpg

CRE_-0687178e_sml.jpg

Mostly because I fucked up the chest. Ah, well.. a little more twerking, and HappyCow will be complete.
CRE_-06871795_sml.jpg
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Pai

Postby Pai » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:58 pm UTC

Hi all,

If this has been put up already I apologize, but I thought we'd post some of the Spore Creatures some of us have been making! Mine's my new avatar!

I like your avatar, can I get a copy of the creature? Link your Sporepedia page! =)

Yakk wrote:I've been playing around with making 'less capable' critters.

A snake (no legs, no arms):
Snakealope.png

Okay, that is really cute. I'm snagging one.

Pai, how'd you get the joints to look bulkier in that first creature? That's the effect I was trying to go for with my zergling limbs.
Seriously, do they give you the complete controls somewhere? Because I need to know them.

The different limbs all behave differently when you adjust the joint sizes, etc. They look very much the same when you see them in the menu, but there is quite a difference in how they move and how they manipulate. Feel free to take my creatures apart and see which bits I used. =) I'm also partial to the insect feet (as you can see) and sometimes you have to take a joint out of a leg to get the right look.

I wish there were more 'cat feet' type feet that were on their toes. I don't like most of the paw choices...
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:34 pm UTC

With limbs, you can resize outside the joints as well. It won't be as prominent as the joint resizes, but it's possible to create a popeye-armed creature this way.
It seems to mostly define muscle tone in the limbs.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:49 pm UTC

I like your avatar, can I get a copy of the creature? Link your Sporepedia page! =)

http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=srch-Dreggo

My name is Dreggo, the dude's name is Singx (I guess pronounced Sing-icks)

How do I link you my personal site?

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:04 am UTC

Berengal wrote:With limbs, you can resize outside the joints as well. It won't be as prominent as the joint resizes, but it's possible to create a popeye-armed creature this way.
It seems to mostly define muscle tone in the limbs.

I tried it, but unfortunately you can't make it smaller than the minimum joint size. My zergling uses the smallest sized joints, so I can't get the limbs smaller.

I suppose I could make a gigantic zergling since I'll be able to get the desired effect if I'm using larger-than-minimum joint size. I'll have to try that.

Another thing I wish there was was a little menu of additional options you could select for your creature. For example, a great one would be "walking style": whether it walks one side at a time (like a dog), alternating (like a crocodile), or hopping (like a rabbit). There's some things that can't be indicated by their physical appearance alone.

Though this is mostly bitterness at not being able to create a perfect zergling, it would be nice to have an "advanced options" tab like that somewhere. For people who are really OCD about their creature.

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:14 am UTC

Rippy wrote:Another thing I wish there was was a little menu of additional options you could select for your creature. For example, a great one would be "walking style": whether it walks one side at a time (like a dog), alternating (like a crocodile), or hopping (like a rabbit). There's some things that can't be indicated by their physical appearance alone.

Though this is mostly bitterness at not being able to create a perfect zergling, it would be nice to have an "advanced options" tab like that somewhere. For people who are really OCD about their creature.

This. I would really, *really* like a way to change their walking style. I made this awesome horse creature, but it walks like a dog. It just looks wrong. Besides that and the no-Mac-full-version-download thing, I really like it. Despite its issues, I'm really anticipating the full release. I will probably be more forgiving of my creatures' silly walks when they're actually doing things.
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

Pai

Postby Pai » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:53 am UTC

A 'gait style' menu would be something that could be implemented at a later date too, couldn't it? it seems like they stripped many things down to bare bones (I'm assuming since development were taking way too long otherwise), but there isn't any saying whether or not they will take the time to build upon those basics with expansions after release.

I'd like gaits, and also more tails and noses. Also, some real hair/mane parts would be nice, too.
Last edited by Pai on Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:20 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

I was actually thinking the same thing, everything tends to walk the same. The coding of these creatures was well-done, apparently, so that the data for each creature is put into a code only a few kilo's big (making it really, really easy to download). I'm hoping that means it also makes it easier to implement new features to the editor: not only arms+legs, but new styles of walking, barking, dancing. Basically, a new way to have them move their legs. And in the test drive I would like to see a "slow motion" version of the walk.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Or just a patch to cause a discernible change between walking and running would be nice. All but one of my creatures, when running, are basically walking at double the speed. While that may look appropriate for an insect, it'd be so much better if they switched to a bounding run. I have one creature that does this and I'm not sure why, but it looks very impressive. It's effing gigantic though, maybe that plays a role?

But, yeah, I think most of this will smooth over when we're actually doing things with the creature. Right now I'm complaining about this stuff because, well, that's all I'm doing: creating a creature.

A lot of this stuff are things that could be easily patched though, since they're issues with how the creature data is interpreted, and wouldn't really affect the image size (apart from that menu of advanced options I mentioned, that's probably unlikely).

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:58 pm UTC

So I can't get much joint size control -- I can get limb size control at the joints?

Oh, and how to you make the critters run?

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:09 pm UTC

the most fun part to play with is just the bare body with spine

it would be nice if you could switch between radial, bilateral, rotational, and no, symmetry (ventral-dorsal symmetry checkbox would be nice too)

I"m off in clouds now but
if you could create bags of fluid or fat or gas, inside the creature that would be awesome to see the way it moved.

Pai

Postby Pai » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:22 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:Or just a patch to cause a discernible change between walking and running would be nice. All but one of my creatures, when running, are basically walking at double the speed. While that may look appropriate for an insect, it'd be so much better if they switched to a bounding run. I have one creature that does this and I'm not sure why, but it looks very impressive. It's effing gigantic though, maybe that plays a role?

I think the placement and size of limb segements may affect this; I have some that do that as well and I'm not sure yet what causes it. But I -think- it's the angle of their joints.

Return to “Gaming”