Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jebobek

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:05 pm UTC

I'm totally making a race of Fobby's from earthbound (little red balls with eyes and feet) and making them supreme galactic overlords, who headbonked their way up the chain. Imagine if this game was PvP and you lost to someone with those creatures. Liek, What the piss??
Attachments
neo256.gif
neo256.gif (417.59 KiB) Viewed 3752 times

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:26 pm UTC

You can't make a creature without a mouth. Damn.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:27 pm UTC

You can't make a lot of things.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:23 pm UTC

Could I just go on record with a little rant here?

[rant]

Okay, here's the deal: I really, really hate it when people do that thing. You know, where a game is going to come out, and then they find out that it doesn't quite live up to their expectations, and suddenly they do a 180 and start raging against the game. Seriously, people (I'm looking at you Second Talon), give the game a break. This game is doing something that has never been done before. Nothing like the Creature Creator has existed, ever, in the entire history of gaming. This is revolutionary.

You know what? Yeah, it lacks some features that were shown in the demos a few years ago. You know what? It's still incomplete. It needs some twerking to reach it's full potential. You know what? It's still the coolest damn thing I've seen in a long while. So your favorite part of a game you've never played has been altered. So you can't make an awesome creature that you thought of. Okay, I get it, you're frustrated by the limits of reality. But that doesn't stop the Creature Creator from being an awesome preview of what I suspect will be an awesome game.

So calm down, eh?

[/rant]
I can kill you with my brain.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 pm UTC

Actually, the creature creator it isn't as revolutionary as many people think. similar things have been done before. It's like a combination of E.V.O.: Search for Eden and Magic Pengel.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 pm UTC

Here's to hoping it's at least as complex as a 16 year old game.

And yes, when a game is demonstrated as having features X, Y, and Z, and it turns out to only have features Z, I tend to get a bit miffed. I reserve the right to do so.

Also, when a game they made 16 fucking years ago is more complex, I also tend to get a little annoyed.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:31 pm UTC

That's... a valid critisism. But, I think the full game will be more advanced than simlife. Though, it probably won't be as detailed in that way. Detailed in different ways.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:34 pm UTC

Lul, how is this game "revolutionary" at all? It's a bunch of generic semi-games, with a very loose connection between each one (or even none at all, apparently), and a few half-assed editors thrown in there.

Maybe if you've only ever played console games all your life... But there have been shitloads of PC games with better content creation editors shipped with them.

That sounds more negative than I mean to be, but it's how it is.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:56 pm UTC

So, there is a game out there with a better and just as easy 3-D creature creation engine than the Spore sample one?
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:02 am UTC

I played SimLife a few years ago, (before I knew about evolution, ecology, climatology, etc) and I remember creating worlds that would freeze over, with penguin-rhinos roaming about the tundra. SPORE has a lot to live up to.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:04 am UTC

Yakk wrote:easy 3-D creature creation engine

Easy is not always better (Harder doesn't automatically mean better either). Generally, ease and flexability are inversly proportional traits to any program.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:39 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:

Easy is not always better (Harder doesn't automatically mean better either). Generally, ease and flexability are inversly proportional traits to any program.

For certain values of flexibility. In practical terms, there is a certain point where you can't make it less flexible, but still make it easier, and a certain point where you can't make it more flexibe but still make it harder. An inversely proportional function usually fails before those points are reached as well, but yes, as long as we're not dealing with too extreme values, what you say is true. Unfortunately this isn't a law of nature, meaning it simply shows us the best we can do in one term given a set value for the other. It's still quite possible to make it worse if you suck.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:32 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:

Yes, but you can hand-build, hand-paint, and hand-animate a 3D model at the other extreme. You've been able to do this for a decade+.

What makes the Spore content creation interesting to me is that it takes a whole pile of high-end skill, and automates it. That automation -- the "making it easy" -- is what makes it special, more than anything else.

Imagine of the Spore creature engine went "open" -- ie, developers could pay a fee to use the creature animation engine in their game. All of a sudden, people could toss together 3D content with relatively low skill.

Sure, it would tend to be Spore-esque, but the raw number of crappy games that could come out of something like that (and the occasional good one, naturally).
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:38 am UTC

Yakk wrote:but the raw number of crappy games that could come out of something like that

Remember what happened last time we got flooded with crappy games?

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:32 am UTC

Imagine of the Spore creature engine went "open" -- ie, developers could pay a fee to use the creature animation engine in their game.

Err, why would they want to? There are already at least a dozen extremely cheap or free animation programs that are about as complicated as loading in your model and pressing "walk".

I think you're wildly underestimating how common technology like this already is.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:58 pm UTC

[citation needed]

Remember, I want to be able to build a 3-d model of a critter, texture it, and have it (say) dance, in download time + 15 minutes, using a nearly pure mouse-driven interface. Something that is, say, 2 times harder would also impress me.

It is quite possible this stuff exists, and I just don't know about it. So I would love to be pointed at it!

Pai

Postby Pai » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

You can't make a creature without a mouth. Damn.

You can make a very tiny bug mouth and hide it. =) There are lots of little tricks like that.
Are you playing on the "full" demo or the free one? I haven't shilled out the ten bucks for the pay one, but my friend did, and the walking simulation is a lot better on it than on mine. There are still problems, but they don't just stomp around like they do in the free demo

Creature gait is determined by the positioning of the limbs (primarily the hips/shoulder joint) in relation to the torso. If your creatures don't walk right, you need to change those things to tune it.

Here's to hoping it's at least as complex as a 16 year old game.

Seeing as how Spore is a game based on evolution, and not an evolution simulation, I would doubt it.

For everyone complaining about how much better the concept demo was to what we're getting now, listen to this GDC presentation by one of the Spore designers, and check out his paper on it. He explains the entire development of their procedural animation system. If, after hearing that, you still are bitter about how the game turned out, then I can't help you. I don't see how anyone could make the claim that Maxis didn't push the envelope and do the best they could with the tools they had.

Many people imagined a Spore back then that didn't actually exist. It was a proof of concept mockup that was incredibly unstable and inflexible compared to what the game is now. What Maxis managed to actually make viably work, really IS an achievement. I'm really getting tired of people pissing on it because it didn't live up to their own personal hype. That, along with the common accusation I'm hearing around that Spore was made 'more cartoony' than the original vision are equal parts baffling and annoying to me because they actually aren't based on any real facts.

There are already at least a dozen extremely cheap or free animation programs that are about as complicated as loading in your model and pressing "walk". I think you're wildly underestimating how common technology like this already is.

Orly? You really should check out the dev site I posted.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:50 am UTC

Yakk wrote:It is quite possible this stuff exists, and I just don't know about it. So I would love to be pointed at it!

Does this qualify? I'd also like to point out that one is 10 years old. I believe there is another, more recent, version of it somewhere.

EDIT: Found it.

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Yakk wrote:It is quite possible this stuff exists, and I just don't know about it. So I would love to be pointed at it!

Does this qualify? I'd also like to point out that one is 10 years old. I believe there is another, more recent, version of it somewhere.

EDIT: Found it.

Note bad:
http://www-ui.is.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp/~takeo ... index.html

Note, however, that the fanciest result from their program is ... simpler than what I can toss together in Spore. It also appears that all animation needs be done by hand (but you can presume that someone has written an auto-animator?)

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

Different audiences etc.
Of importance is the factor that Spore has had more money thrown at it (although it seems to mostly be a coding problem, which means that once you pay for a couple of elite programmers there's little else to do but wait. You could maybe hire someone to wait for you...)
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:48 pm UTC

Well, if Spore has X units of awesome, how much money went into it has no bearing on that. X units of awesome will be X units of awesome no matter whether Maxis poured five bucks or ten million dollars into Spore. Spending more money on it will probably make it better, but there can be no argument that says "Spore is worse than something else because more money was spent on it."

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:09 pm UTC

...So, uh, yea. I would put a mouth on the bottom end of the fobby, probably inside the legs, to hide it there. I've done this already and others like Pai already know the trick. I'm gonna give it a try when I get home. Hopefully the animations will work out OK.

This thread really exploded since I was here! This is why I wanted an individual creature thread, so much drama over what this game "should have been" =/

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:57 am UTC

@Yakk: Also, Amazing Island has monster creation similar to the teddy program linked to by Amnesiasoft. Unfortunately, the game is pretty boring aside from the making of monsters.

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:06 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:This is why I wanted an individual creature thread, so much drama over what this game "should have been" =/

I've been getting my creature fixes from GamingSteve's Spore forums. There are some really great ones there. You should check out Parkaboy's creature thread, the guy has talent!
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Cyrion

Postby Cyrion » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:39 pm UTC

There are more spore creatures now than there are species left on our little planet.

Rejoice, the end of the wait is nigh! =D
Warning - There is a student in Physics posting on this thread.
Please do not panic and continue acting normally, thank you.

According to some Internet test, I'm the Uber Cool Space Nerd King. Awesome!

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 pm UTC

Yeah, but how many of them are dickmonsters?

annals

Postby annals » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

This is insanely fun.

Spoiler:
Yellow-bellied Duffle Finch.png
Yellow-bellied Duffle Finch.png (23.09 KiB) Viewed 2884 times

Spoiler:
Whiskers (1).png
Whiskers (1).png (27.13 KiB) Viewed 2882 times

Spoiler:
Floatything.png
Floatything.png (31.01 KiB) Viewed 2881 times

Spoiler:
Dinner.png
Dinner.png (20.65 KiB) Viewed 2879 times

Spoiler:
Bighead.png
Bighead.png (24.42 KiB) Viewed 2879 times

Delbin

Postby Delbin » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Yeah, but how many of them are dickmonsters?

Out of the hundreds of creatures I've browsed on the sporepedia I haven't seen any. I'm guessing they have a pretty good reporting/screening system or people just don't make or submit that many.

Cyrion

Postby Cyrion » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:18 pm UTC

The amount of dicks is eclipsed by the number of creatures anyway. I guess even dick makers don't just make dicks.

And unless you type dick creature in youtube, you're seeing less and less of them.

It would be hilarious though to stumble on such a planet.
Warning - There is a student in Physics posting on this thread.
Please do not panic and continue acting normally, thank you.

According to some Internet test, I'm the Uber Cool Space Nerd King. Awesome!

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:49 pm UTC

Some of the planets "do" have very phallic shaped mushroom trees, so at some level it could be fitting.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:31 am UTC

They should make one dark corner of the galaxy house all of the banned creatures in a small star cluster.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:35 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:They should make one dark corner of the galaxy house all of the banned creatures in a small star cluster.

And bonus points for blowing it up!

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:17 am UTC

Azrael001 wrote:They should make one dark corner of the galaxy house all of the banned creatures in a small star cluster.

The "Red Light Zone of the Galaxy", if you will.

There should be a somewhat more realistic version where creatures actually have reproductive organs, instead of randomly spawning offspring.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:11 pm UTC

Do you really want to see spore monsters doing it that badly?

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:48 pm UTC

Gunfingers wrote:Do you really want to see spore monsters doing it that badly?

They could just do it like breeders in Black&White did it. Run up and give the other gender a big hug and smooch. Although its G-rated its a little bit of interaction so one can say "OK, that one is running around and trying to breed. Mission successful."

...Then the females would lay down where ever they were standing, go into labor, a kid would pop out and start running around. Yea... maybe they could skip that part.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

Jebobek wrote:...Then the females would lay down where ever they were standing, go into labor, a kid would pop out and start running around. Yea... maybe they could skip that part.

They didn't skip it in Black & White!

Kerberos

Postby Kerberos » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:

And bonus points for blowing it up!

/supernova (star = "phallus majorus") (type = 2) (rad = 100) (stt = 3.4)

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:35 pm UTC

That would be awesome. They'd just need to have some way of making sure you could only deliberately visit the cluster. ("I'll just see what's on this planet and... OH DEAR GOD, PENISES? WHAT THE HELL!")

It would be like the evil half of Imaginationland! [South Park reference]

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:49 pm UTC

Internet Memes, now available in living flesh! http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=src ... 520unicorn

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:42 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Internet Memes, now available in living flesh! http://www.spore.com/sporepedia#qry=src ... 520unicorn

And then you come upon a planet unsuspecting. You find a peaceful race of creatures to which you are about to destroy. But, you can't just destroy them without knowing who they are and so you check their name and bam. "Never going to give you up..." And you just got rick-rolled in Spore. Luckily you can go ahead and blow them up.

Return to “Gaming”