Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aion7 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:59 am UTC

What of a planet inhabited by floating heads with hats. Check the name of the species. "HA! HA! I'm using Spore!!!!1"
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:33 am UTC

aion7 wrote:What of a planet inhabited by floating heads with hats. Check the name of the species. "HA! HA! I'm using Spore!!!!1"

Oh shit, an entire planet of longcats.

Seriously, the meme potential is quiet large. Still, everybody knows that Daleks are the supreme beings.

User avatar
Aluminus
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: View From Space

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Aluminus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:18 pm UTC

Has anyone tried the prototype Spore programs? I used ParticleMan, CellCulture and BIOME, but I can't seem to understand CityMaze. If you click on the edges of the buildings you can make roads (fences?) but the sims keep leaving. Let's try to figure these out.

http://www.spore.com/comm/prototypes

EDIT: SPUG and Space have been released, SPUG is a prototype of the creature phase (run around, attack and eat stuff), and Space is a prototype of the Space/Terraform/Colonizing phase.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

User avatar
Edawan
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:06 pm UTC
Location: Paris, France

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Edawan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:57 pm UTC

I just spent an hour playing the Space prototype...
We are nothing but the nerds they say we are.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:20 am UTC

Edawan wrote:I just spent an hour playing the Space prototype...

Yeah, had a lot of fun with this till I ran into a civilization and pissed it off. Then it kept having runtime errors and I could never get the message thingies to disappear so I couldn't see a quarter of the map. Then it crashed.

Either way, space phase looks like it's going to be sweet.

Bryy Miller
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:55 am UTC

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Bryy Miller » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:05 am UTC

I'm going to make the entire H.P. Lovecraft pantheon.

I know, I know. Been done before.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
aion7 wrote:What of a planet inhabited by floating heads with hats. Check the name of the species. "HA! HA! I'm using Spore!!!!1"

Oh shit, an entire planet of longcats.

Seriously, the meme potential is quiet large. Still, everybody knows that Daleks are the supreme beings.

I only have the demo creature creator because I've saved my money for the full Spore when it comes out in September. Do you know if I can make a decent metal casing for my Daleks?
Attachments
Caan.png
I FLEWWWWWW!!!!
Caan.png (28.36 KiB) Viewed 3510 times
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:20 am UTC

I only have the demo creature creator because I've saved my money for the full Spore when it comes out in September. Do you know if I can make a decent metal casing for my Daleks?

Not as a creature, make them as vehicles.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
I only have the demo creature creator because I've saved my money for the full Spore when it comes out in September. Do you know if I can make a decent metal casing for my Daleks?

Not as a creature, make them as vehicles.

Well I've seen some semi-good looking representations of Daleks, but the way the game forces you to make creatures I don't think it'll work out so well. It'll certainly suck in the game. I think I'm going to go with the Furlings.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aleflamedyud » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:48 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:
I only have the demo creature creator because I've saved my money for the full Spore when it comes out in September. Do you know if I can make a decent metal casing for my Daleks?

Not as a creature, make them as vehicles.

Well I've seen some semi-good looking representations of Daleks, but the way the game forces you to make creatures I don't think it'll work out so well. It'll certainly suck in the game. I think I'm going to go with the Furlings.

Yeah, so the Dalek travel machine will be a vehicle, but I actually liked the way my Kaled mutant creature worked out.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:32 pm UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:
I only have the demo creature creator because I've saved my money for the full Spore when it comes out in September. Do you know if I can make a decent metal casing for my Daleks?

Not as a creature, make them as vehicles.

Well I've seen some semi-good looking representations of Daleks, but the way the game forces you to make creatures I don't think it'll work out so well. It'll certainly suck in the game. I think I'm going to go with the Furlings.

Yeah, so the Dalek travel machine will be a vehicle, but I actually liked the way my Kaled mutant creature worked out.

Yeah. Needless to say, I will EXTERMINATE all inferior beings!

User avatar
Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...
Posts: 8337
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:57 pm UTC
Location: Soviet Canuckistan

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jessica » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:31 pm UTC

I enjoyed making a beholder. But, the fact that it can't float was a little annoying.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Mo0man » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:12 pm UTC

If I remember correctly, they would smooch, and then they would run into the closest house for a while...
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
Aluminus
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: View From Space

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Aluminus » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:44 pm UTC

Three new prototypes released, My favorite is gaslight (star creation simulator)
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

User avatar
Pai
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Pai » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:24 am UTC

First 'full' review of the game here. It's an entertaining read. =)
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:36 am UTC

Pai wrote:First 'full' review of the game here. It's an entertaining read. =)
Nerdgasm. That just made my day, and quite possibly, my entire week. It seems better than I could possibly have imagined. I was hoping to pass a few classes this year, too.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:03 am UTC

aion7 wrote:
Pai wrote:First 'full' review of the game here. It's an entertaining read. =)
Nerdgasm. That just made my day, and quite possibly, my entire week. It seems better than I could possibly have imagined. I was hoping to pass a few classes this year, too.

Luckily all my classes are fucking gen ed blow-offs except German. Looks like I'll just have to start playing with the German setting on. That way I can excuse my playing as studying.

Also, it is September already, right? Please say it is.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby thecommabandit » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:48 am UTC

Two weeks! (and possibly another day depending if the 31st of August exists or not)

I'd be more excited if I wasn't going to get Mass Effect soon.
Image

User avatar
Upsilon
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 am UTC
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Upsilon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:11 pm UTC

August 31 does indeed exist.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

User avatar
LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!
Posts: 5972
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:10 pm UTC
Location: :uoıʇɐɔol

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:18 pm UTC

It... it always does.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

Token
Posts: 1481
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:07 pm UTC
Location: London

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Token » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm UTC

Only since 45 BC, though.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:00 pm UTC

LE4dGOLEM wrote:It... it always does.

Fucking August. Nobody asked it to be this long. Who cares about Augustus Caesar anyways? I sure don't.


User avatar
Upsilon
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:53 am UTC
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Upsilon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:23 pm UTC

So how do you guys think you'll play? Militaristic? Peaceful?

I think I'm going to be the peaceful civilization that will have weapons capable of unmaking you before you were born. Just in case.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:44 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:So how do you guys think you'll play? Militaristic? Peaceful?

I think I'm going to be the peaceful civilization that will have weapons capable of unmaking you before you were born. Just in case.

YOU WILL BE EX-TER-MI-NAT-ED! [insert my creature name here] are the superior beings.

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aion7 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:33 pm UTC

Killing and/or eating someone > dancing and/or singing with them. Although, being a Spice merchant is tempting...
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:01 am UTC

aion7 wrote:Killing and/or eating someone > dancing and/or singing with them. Although, being a Spice merchant is tempting...

The Spice Must Flow!

Is it sad that I'm looking at what classes I can skip?

User avatar
Aluminus
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: View From Space

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Aluminus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:10 am UTC

I have a full-time job this fall.
Or at least I would if I wasn't going to play Spore all the time.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby thecommabandit » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:04 pm UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Upsilon wrote:So how do you guys think you'll play? Militaristic? Peaceful?

I think I'm going to be the peaceful civilization that will have weapons capable of unmaking you before you were born. Just in case.

YOU WILL BE EX-TER-MI-NAT-ED! [insert my creature name here] are the superior beings.

Or if you're playing in German: "EX-TER-MIN-EIR-EN!"

Everyone loves the German Daleks.
Image

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:45 pm UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:
Upsilon wrote:So how do you guys think you'll play? Militaristic? Peaceful?

I think I'm going to be the peaceful civilization that will have weapons capable of unmaking you before you were born. Just in case.

YOU WILL BE EX-TER-MI-NAT-ED! [insert my creature name here] are the superior beings.

Or if you're playing in German: "EX-TER-MIN-EIR-EN!"

Everyone loves the German Daleks.

I wonder if I could pass my German class with just that. After all, why would you need to know anything else?

User avatar
Aluminus
Posts: 1337
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:51 pm UTC
Location: View From Space

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Aluminus » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

NINE PAGES! It took nine pages to get a Godwin.

That aside, the review was very good. I hear future expansion packs to the game will add flora editors so you can make your own wacky trees and bushes with claws.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:NINE PAGES! It took nine pages to get a Godwin.

That aside, the review was very good. I hear future expansion packs to the game will add flora editors so you can make your own wacky trees and bushes with claws.

Actually we really didn't pull a Godwin. Germany/Daleks =/= Godwin's law. If anything Daleks at a bonus to the thread's awesome.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:41 pm UTC

I wonder if I could pass my German class with just that. After all, why would you need to know anything else?

Definitely a Godwin.

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aleflamedyud » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:12 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Upsilon wrote:So how do you guys think you'll play? Militaristic? Peaceful?

I think I'm going to be the peaceful civilization that will have weapons capable of unmaking you before you were born. Just in case.

YOU WILL BE EX-TER-MI-NAT-ED! [insert my creature name here] are the superior beings.

In honor of Spore, I do declare that I will spend this semester's honors session in Operating Systems class designing an OS exclusively for playing on-screen Core Wars, based on Spore principles.

Also, you can be Renegade Daleks. I'll play Imperial Daleks. EX-TER-MINATE!

P.S. -- Plant Sigma A 15 now open for human up-grading.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
aion7
Posts: 1142
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:43 am UTC
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby aion7 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 am UTC

So, I was just re-watching a bunch of Spore videos on GameTrailers, and I heard something in an interview that I never noticed before. You can edit your music, and upload it the same way you can upload a creature or vehicle. Does anyone know how that will be used? Will the music you edit still be procedurally generated, just along your guidelines, or will it loop? Or will you always be hearing user created music, but it chooses the track based on what's happening? Or has the feature been dropped entirely?
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

User avatar
Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator
Posts: 4790
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jahoclave » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:01 am UTC

Jack Saladin wrote:
I wonder if I could pass my German class with just that. After all, why would you need to know anything else?

Definitely a Godwin.

Well as Daleks are the Superior Beings I see no reason why you'd need to know anything else? I'd say the same thing if it was French, or even English. Just because it's German I happen to be taking and German the Dalek was speaking doesn't inherently mean it has to apply to Godwin's law. Imagine if everything about America that was discussing something stupid automatically referred to Bush. I think you'd get a little annoyed about having your country stereotyped that way.

User avatar
4=5
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:02 am UTC

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby 4=5 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:42 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Jack Saladin wrote:
I wonder if I could pass my German class with just that. After all, why would you need to know anything else?

Definitely a Godwin.

Well as Daleks are the Superior Beings I see no reason why you'd need to know anything else? I'd say the same thing if it was French, or even English. Just because it's German I happen to be taking and German the Dalek was speaking doesn't inherently mean it has to apply to Godwin's law. Imagine if everything about America that was discussing something stupid automatically referred to Bush. I think you'd get a little annoyed about having your country stereotyped that way.

that already happens

User avatar
Amnesiasoft
Posts: 2573
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 4:28 am UTC
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:05 am UTC

4=5 wrote:
Jahoclave wrote:Imagine if everything about America that was discussing something stupid automatically referred to Bush.

that already happens

4=5 does have a point there Jahoclave.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss
Posts: 4445
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:22 am UTC
Location: Aotearoa

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:24 am UTC

... It's funny because, y'know, Germans, "exterminate", and... Ah, forget it.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby thecommabandit » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:22 am UTC

That's probably one of the worst Nazi jokes I've heard. And not worst in a "Oh my god I can't believe I just laughed at that" way. More in a
Image way.
Image


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests