Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

EvanED

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby EvanED » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:04 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:Ooh, there's a site with a review of a hands-on preview.

FTFY, unless you see something I don't.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:21 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Gharbad wrote:Never played simfarm. Wasn't that one of the kids games based on the sim franchise?

Nah, that was Sim Town. Sim Farm was a really difficult game actually. I at least managed to make a productive city in Sim City 2000...once...

Oranges and/or Horses, yo. True, there was a bit more of an initial time investment before you turned a profit, but once you got a couple of years behind you, those mature fields really produced well.

And horses because, at A quality, they were the most expensive thing. Nice little boost there at the beginning, if you could afford a breeding pair.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Ishindri

Postby Ishindri » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:48 am UTC

EvanED wrote:
Ishindri wrote:Ooh, there's a site with a review of a hands-on preview.

FTFY, unless you see something I don't.

Well, I thought of the article itself as a preview, with their thoughts on it (a review, if you will) included. A matter of perspective, I suppose.

Also, it would seem that they're going to release some form of the creature creator before the actual game.
All is well. We are not like the others.

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:36 am UTC

Ishindri wrote:Also, it would seem that they're going to release some form of the creature creator before the actual game.

Awesome! :mrgreen:
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 am UTC

Yay... another delay....

Put it to your head.... pull the trigger... pull the trigger...

But...
It's the most awesome game ever...
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:54 pm UTC

Gelsamel wrote:Yay... another delay....

Put it to your head.... pull the trigger... pull the trigger...

But...
It's the most awesome game ever...

Dont be a hero!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:23 pm UTC

Aleril wrote:Dont be an hero!
Fixed.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:33 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Fixed.

Not really. The 'h' in 'hero' very clearly begins the word with a consonant.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:38 pm UTC

Silver2Falcon wrote:
Vaniver wrote:
Fixed.

Internet meme. Best to either ignore it and move on, or giggle madly and feel like a bad person because you get the reference.. and giggled the first time you heard about it.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Silver2Falcon wrote:
Vaniver wrote:
Fixed.

Internet meme. Best to either ignore it and move on, or giggle madly and feel like a bad person because you get the reference.. and giggled the first time you heard about it.

I am usually the latter.

Heheh..... MUAHHAHA.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:People may find this interview (released yesterday) interesting. Apparently, players will be able to jump to any stage of the game. That spoils it a bit, in my opinion. I haven't read the whole thing through yet, but it claims to explain why development has taken so long.

great friggin link. Thank you for actually making me excited about this game again.

Still though, it's seeming like it will be more like the sims and less like something I'll really be able to get into.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

spi

Postby spi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:45 pm UTC

I am hoping that Spore is a good game. I don't have a system to play it on at the moment, but maybe that will change.

Shadeofblue wrote:I can honestly say that this is the first time a new, non-console game has actually interested me. Between this and Starcraft 2, for the first time I'm wondering if my computer is good enough to run a game I want to play :shock:. Well, I've got Riven and Escape Velocity: Override to tide me over until fall :).

I just got the original Escape Velocity running in an emulator on my linux box. What an awesome game, I spent so much time playing that game back in the day.
"Pain is a wonderful emotion, scariest sea in a world of oceans" - Iris

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:32 pm UTC

I have one question about Spore.

Can I make my creature breathe something besides oxygen? I'm used to Space Empires where you can breathe carbon dioxide or methane or hydrogen or whatever and seriously, if you can only breathe O2 that'd be pretty lame.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

I don't think the game cares what you breathe.

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:50 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Amazon can blow me. So can Gamestop.

They always make up release dates based on what someone says in an interview.. usually the comment is something like, "Yeah, we're hoping we can get it out the door by next year, hopefully early spring" and BAM.. they're calling that a March 3rd Release Date or some crap.

Well, they make them up based on the publisher giving a timeframe. They then tend to have one day per quarter that everything "announced" for that quarter gets lumped into. They adjust as necessary. Maxis or someone did, at one point, state a Q1 2008 release, which has been pushed back. An official press release is certainly a far better date, though.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:26 am UTC

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but just wanted to say my piece.

First off: The game looks awesome. Clearly, it's not complete vapourware (see the various play through videos out there). It it, however, really, truly massive in scope, to a degree that has never been seen before, and will, therefore, be releasing about the same time that genetically engineering species for entertainment actually becomes feasible.

I personally am looking forward to the designing and construction of large-scale weapons of war (how cool would a death star be? Hmmm? Tell me that a death star manned by cats would not be the coolest thing in the history of the world). The creature editor is interesting as well, but it is not so appealing to me, personally (except in increasingly innovate attempts to create a creature that resembles uck-Chay orris-Nay, in the hope of galactic domination).

On the other hand, my computer would in no way run this game, so I'll probably use the additional months to finish (gods willing) and publish my book, in the hope of making enough money to buy a decent rig.

In closing:

Pandercolour wrote: Maybe I'm just desensitized ... and require gallons of blood to please myself.

Would someone with space please sig this? For the love of god, sig this.
I can kill you with my brain.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:14 am UTC

I would have thought Spore would aim for low specification requirements, so that as wide an audience as possible could play it.

Also, since this thread has been resurrected, I think it's worth mentioning this.
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

Pai

Postby Pai » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:47 am UTC

Robin S wrote:I would have thought Spore would aim for low specification requirements, so that as wide an audience as possible could play it.

Also, since this thread has been resurrected, I think it's worth mentioning this.

A free download ftw! Sure it's only got 25% of the critter parts, but still!
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:14 pm UTC

Ati wrote:Sorry for the thread necromancy, but just wanted to say my piece.
Stuff about Spore

For starters, around here you don't have to apologize for Thread Necromancy. It's better to resurrect than create a new post, as all that's going to happen is someone will reply "We already have a thread about X"...usually without a link to it, and some poor mod will have to hopefully see it and merge it in to the old thread. (Report button, people! It's there for a reason!)

Anyway... while the game is massive in scope and that I dig greatly, didn't they remove the fish stage of the game? Shame.. I was actually looking forward to that part more than anything.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Postby Ati » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:21 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Ati wrote:Sorry for the thread necromancy, but just wanted to say my piece.
Stuff about Spore

For starters, around here you don't have to apologize for Thread Necromancy. It's better to resurrect than create a new post, as all that's going to happen is someone will reply "We already have a thread about X"...usually without a link to it, and some poor mod will have to hopefully see it and merge it in to the old thread. (Report button, people! It's there for a reason!)

Anyway... while the game is massive in scope and that I dig greatly, didn't they remove the fish stage of the game? Shame.. I was actually looking forward to that part more than anything.

Not positive. I think it goes straight from the bacteria stage to the animal stage. I'll be a little surprised if you can't build an aquatic creature, though - an amphibious one at the very least.
I can kill you with my brain.

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:09 pm UTC

this wrote:It is currently unknown whether the game will feature swimming creatures. Strong evidence of flying creatures, unseen since the original presentation of Spore, has been seen in recent hands-on previews.[22] A recent update to the official Spore website [23] mentions that while the Tidepool phase is still underwater, the remainder of the game takes place on land. Recent demo videos have also shown the tidepool phase ending (or rather, the Creature phase beginning) with a slug-like creature crawling out of the ocean onto the beach. Other videos have shown creatures with wings and feathers, but no actual flying.

I don't know what to think. I, too, was liking the idea of evolving into a massive sea-monster before making the jump to land animal.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and ATI: I got you covered, buddy.
|
|
V
Last edited by Gunfingers on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:38 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

I've read speculation that the fish stage and flying critters will be the expansion fluff.. no idea on the validity of that, as it might just be people who are all Sims'd out.

Spore : Underwater Friends
Spore : Getting High

I like those titles.

Ramses IV

Postby Ramses IV » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 pm UTC

SPORE, why aren't you out yet? I pre-ordered it on Amazon.
My Blag

benjhuey wrote:Ramses IV is dead to me, though I don't know how I didn't notice he had already been dead for 3000 years. Ancient Egyptian magic or somethin'.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:28 pm UTC

.. better to be late and working than on time and buggy as hell.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:12 pm UTC

On the other hand, late and buggy is a possibility that should not be neglected.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:19 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:On the other hand, late and buggy is a possibility that should not be neglected.

But not one that's likely, considering we're talking about Will Wright and how much work they seem to be putting into polish.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:25 pm UTC

Perhaps, but the game does have an extremely wide scope, and with that comes a wide range of places where things could potentially go wrong - and the wider the range, the less likely those problems will be identified during initial testing.

Anyway, we can only wait and see.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed May 07, 2008 1:12 pm UTC

Wow, that sucks, though you should have made a new topic for it.

Your forum necromancy gave me a start at first when I saw spore as having been pushed back again.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Wed May 07, 2008 2:37 pm UTC

b.i.o wrote:
Robin S wrote:On the other hand, late and buggy is a possibility that should not be neglected.

But not one that's likely, considering we're talking about Will Wright and how much work they seem to be putting into polish.

Have you seen The Sims 2 lately? Not much polish there. TS2 is horrendously buggy.
Last edited by lowbart on Wed May 07, 2008 2:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Wed May 07, 2008 2:40 pm UTC

Yes, but those are expansions, which he probably has little to do with. Sims2 "base" was actually rather good at release, for the kind of game it was meant to be.

Token

Postby Token » Wed May 07, 2008 3:54 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:So, anyone see this: http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=52547

I can see that being annoying, but I can't work up any real emotion over it since I'm connected to the internet 24/7. What I'm saying is, I'm incredibly selfish.
All posts are works in progress. If I posted something within the last hour, chances are I'm still editing it.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Wed May 07, 2008 5:31 pm UTC

My internet has been down at home for about a month. Good thing that this didn't happen after I got Spore or I'd have to hack it.

FACM

Postby FACM » Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 am UTC

I was thinking of getting Mass Effect and Spore. With the new DRM announcement, I'm thinking otherwise.

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Thu May 08, 2008 10:14 am UTC

I'll get it when someone figures out how to get around EA's absurd licensing systems. I figure it'll take a week, maybe two.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu May 08, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

I was thinking more a day, maybe two. Even so, this new copy protection bullshit is making me far less likely to buy Spore, even though I've been anticipating it since its original announcement.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Coin

Postby Coin » Thu May 08, 2008 9:43 pm UTC

It's so simple really.
Noone likes to buy something that they can't use whenever they like, especially not when they are used to having that freedom.
I can see that this will make things a bit more tricky for the pirates, but it's usually only a matter of time. Does anyone have any details on how the system will work? What exactly is it that gets sent from EA to your computer to keep your account active?

In the long run I think they are making a big mistake in making it less convenitent to play games.
3fj wrote: "You, sir, have been added to my list of deities under 'God of Swedish meat'."

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Sat May 10, 2008 12:51 am UTC

doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sat May 10, 2008 1:16 am UTC

I can see that this will make things a bit more tricky for the pirates, but it's usually only a matter of time.

It doesn't even manage that. Anti-piracy protection has never once stopped, or even slowed, the pirating of anything - be it a game, an album, a new film. All it does is inconvenience the people who actually pay for it, seeing as it's only the legitimate customers who have to deal with it.

thecommabandit

Postby thecommabandit » Sat May 10, 2008 10:54 am UTC

I am getting Spore.

That is a definite statement and has no chance of being untrue unless I die before it comes out or it never actually condenses from the vapourware phase.

Hell, I'm excited about the creature creator since I've got lots of animals in my head that I can't draw and I might be able to make renderings of them with that. Plus, it'll be hella fun to try and make Cthulu with it :3 (or any other kind of things that don't use normal legs to move... I hope you can make aquatic life, otherwise throwing comets onto a planet to raise the sea level has very little point unless you want to drown a colony.

Return to “Gaming”