Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jedifreak

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby Jedifreak » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:17 pm UTC

I just ran into a tribal world... where my species is evolving again?

Has that happened to anyone else?
http://www.improbableisland.com/home.php?r=Jedifreak
http://www.geist-panik.com
Jin_Asias wrote:I still think Jedifreak runs off of a vast macro library

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Last night's playing involved a bunch of planet building (including the tedious building placement) over about four planets. Followed by a crash (no save). Followed by swearing. Inexplicably followed by more playing. Including saving every time I built up a planet though.

At one point I found that every time I started working on a particular planet the f*cking Grox would attack the same outlying planet. Seriously, I get down to the surface, start firing the heat ray and bam, there's the alert saying they're attacking. Off I go, take care of that. Back to the original planet, heat ray on, ALERT.

So I said "well clearly the game designer doesn't WANT me terraforming, they want me off doing something about the Grox.

So off I trundle to take care of them, ignoring the various messages from my now-unreachable empire (and allies) about attacks, ecosystem collapses, etc (clearly the game designer doesn't want me to take notice of them ... no wait ... now I have doubts!)

Eventually I make it to the center of the galaxy (and unlike the last time I posted about this the mouse-over worked and gave me a target to fly to).

There, that's done. I can stop playing the game now. I'm tired of the micro-management required to keep the sandbox going.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:38 pm UTC

I went for a planet on the outer edge of the Galaxy. They don't attack very often, and I'm slowly taking over smaller empires. I plan to take out one of my allies next, because whenever I do something he doesn't like, he demand money. And he doesn't seem to understand that when you terraform a planet, you should probably have it in T3 level with all the plants and animals required. All my planets are, and I haven't gotten an ecodisaster since. I have to go to the exact same of his planets every three minutes. I'm thinking of finishing the job for him.

Also, is the heat ray an infinite thing? Or do you have to buy more?

Pai

Postby Pai » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 pm UTC

I ignore most of those alerts now, once you have Embassies down on allied planets you can just ignore them. I put Uber Turrets and Bio-stabilizers on all my colonies now, and generally let them fend for themselves. Pirates and Raids are completely ineffective once you have an Uber Turret, and at the worst you'll only lose a few units of Spice.

Whenever I find myself back in my home area, I go around and give a nice fat bribe to all my allies to make up for ignoring them, and then head off again. No problems so far.

The Heat Ray works off Energy. Once you get those versions of the tools instead of the one-off terraforming packages, life is so much easier.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:55 pm UTC

Too bad there isn't a gun that provides T1, 2, and 3 life on a planet huh? Still gotta do that by hand.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:13 am UTC

Jedifreak wrote:Too bad there isn't a gun that provides T1, 2, and 3 life on a planet huh? Still gotta do that by hand.

Yeah, but there is a bit of a hack I figured out the other day:

1. get planet into T1 ring
2. zap trees down to stabilise
3. the instantly multiply across the planet, so zap trees back into cargo bay
4. zap creatures down to finish off
5. thanks to instant-breeding, zap creatures back into cargo bay
6. zap colony down
7. profit!

With the 3rd cargo bay upgrade you have plenty of room for a full complement of ecosystem, and you only need one of each (though keeping a spare is a good idea just in case you screw up sending the wrong thing to the planet at the wrong time), and there's room spare for spice trading.

(ok, I skipped the tedium of setting up the colony buildings at 6.5 )

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:28 am UTC

What's a Spode? I've been too busy to get past the Tribal phase...
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Pai

Postby Pai » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:06 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:What's a Spode? I've been too busy to get past the Tribal phase...

Religious fanatics. They like to extract 'tithes' from you under threat of war. =P
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:51 am UTC

Anyone know if they leave you alone if you play as Zealots?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
"Do you think games are silly little things?"
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
"Do you admit there is no meaning to this world?"
- > No

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:47 am UTC

Has anybody here reached the center of the galaxy yet, or just given up?
I'm pretty close, but damn, it's expensive.
EDIT: I just found Earth. Awesome.
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:44 am UTC

I made it to the center. Fairly easily, actually. You just have to luck out like I did and guess the right path.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:
Upsilon avatar from TaintedDeity.

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:48 am UTC

Jedifreak wrote:I just ran into a tribal world... where my species is evolving again?

No, but I had a slightly less evolved version of my species living on my home planet. And on another planet, my species was a wild animal (your species always occupies a food web spot, but these ones weren't marked as sentient and could be spread anywhere). It's funny to see your species thriving in huge space faring cities, and then there's a group of the same species out in the bushes.

Jedifreak wrote:Also, is the heat ray an infinite thing? Or do you have to buy more?

It's a tool much like the laser that uses energy. It drains energy pretty damn fast though, so you typically need a lot of energy storage and some energy refills to use it well. There's a tool for reducing temperature, and two for increasing/reducing atmosphere.

Upsilon wrote:I made it to the center. Fairly easily, actually. You just have to luck out like I did and guess the right path.

Or you can not luck out and take 4 attempts. I had to go 2/3 of the way around the galactic core before I found the way in.

Jedifreak

Postby Jedifreak » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:01 pm UTC

Aluminus wrote:Has anybody here reached the center of the galaxy yet, or just given up?
I'm pretty close, but damn, it's expensive.
EDIT: I just found Earth. Awesome.

Where did you find it? I didn't think it was there.

Also, I ran into a race called "Time Lord" and they looked nothing like The Doctor. I am currently destroying all of them. I also just finished destroying a less evolved version of my species because they wanted money. After I had uplifted them. Ungrateful bastards.

Aluminus

Postby Aluminus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:54 pm UTC

Earth is waaaay out on one of the arms (225, 7200-ish)
And I just made it to the center and really all I can say is
Spoiler:
That shit has only 42 uses‽ I spent 8 million sporebucks to get there!
Anyway, it wasn't hard really, as long as you move quickly. Don't bother fighting the Grox, just terraform, plant a colony and move on. Now what's left to do? take over the whole galaxy?
fyrenwater wrote:Oh dear God, I just imagined this horrible scenario of a psychotic non-people-person running around, trying to steal the people-person section of people-peoples' brains to implant into their own brain.

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:28 am UTC

Aluminus wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, big rip-off. I've only used the Staff to terraform planets with rare spice. And to get rid of the Grox homeworld.

I died before the blast hit the ground, of course, because the Grox have so many ships chasing you by the time you get there, but I assume it landed and those assymetrical bastards are now homeworldless.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:42 am UTC

I resent them because they're asymmetrical... why can't I make monsters like that?
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Rippy

Postby Rippy » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:44 pm UTC

Upsilon wrote:
Aluminus wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Yeah, big rip-off. I've only used the Staff to terraform planets with rare spice. And to get rid of the Grox homeworld.

I died before the blast hit the ground, of course, because the Grox have so many ships chasing you by the time you get there, but I assume it landed and those assymetrical bastards are now homeworldless.

You know it just makes a new homeworld out of another colony, right? Unless the Grox are different than other species. (I've tried this and it just makes a new homeworld, which is pretty much just as strong if I remember correctly)

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:52 pm UTC

Unless the Grox are different then they do randomly get another homeworld on one of the planets that they own, but it only has as much stuff on it as it did before... It doesn't get upgraded or anything, it just gets a shiny big circle and they can repair there for free I guess.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

Upsilon

Postby Upsilon » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:57 pm UTC

Rippy wrote:You know it just makes a new homeworld out of another colony, right? Unless the Grox are different than other species. (I've tried this and it just makes a new homeworld, which is pretty much just as strong if I remember correctly)

I mean their original homeworld. I am well aware that they just make a new one.
22/M/USA
age/sex/location
Spoiler:

Smiling Hobo

Postby Smiling Hobo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:43 am UTC

Gelsamel wrote:I resent them because they're asymmetrical... why can't I make monsters like that?
Just download the assymetry mod here. It disables symmetry, which opens up new creative possibilities, but makes it tough if you want some parts to be symmetrical and others not to be.

You can also download a mod that increases the timer between attacks/disasters from 15 minutes to 2 hours. There's also one that increases it to 100 hours somewhere.

*Nibbles on kitten*
Eat a kitten, save a cow!

Gelsamel
Lame and emo

Postby Gelsamel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Asymmetry mod looks cool, the frequency of the biological disasters/pirate raids can be changed with cheats anyway.
"Give up here?"
- > No
"Do you accept defeat?"
- > No
- > No
"Is it all pointless?"
- > No
- > No

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 am UTC

I actually don't mind attacks or ecodisasters much. They don't happen that often, and they provide something to do, as well as an excuse to go and pick up spice if it's one of your planets.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:20 am UTC

I got it yesterday, and just built my city. I made a carnivore species, but now I know why humans shouldnt be able to play god; the instant my species became intelligent and had developed tools, they decided that decimating the galaxy with tanks and nukes was the best (and only) way forward. And that the pie is a lie. Huh....Go figure.
What have I done?!

I like the way that, even on the first land stage, where you run around, there are spaceships flying around.

EDIT: My spore creation
Spoiler:
Spore_GIF_2008-11-02_16-11-55.gif
Spore_GIF_2008-11-02_16-11-55.gif (115.84 KiB) Viewed 5281 times
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.
Red vs Blue wrote:Wash: That was the worst throw ever. Of all time.
Caboose: Not my fault. Someone put a wall in my way.

r1chard

Postby r1chard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:22 am UTC

Dredging up this old thread to post my new pet peeve with the game:

Even with all the variety and creativity you can pour into the creature creator you're severely limited by what you can actually do in the game if you want to progress at all.

My daughter (not quite 5yo) gets annoyed because she wants to have a creature that just has wings to move around (lots of them ;) ) but in order to get further in the game she has to put on legs (dancing) and arms (posing.) Surely with a little effort they could've supported dancing and posing for flying creatures?

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:29 am UTC

I think your daughter being disappointed with Spore's lack of actual content really sums this thread up :)
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:21 am UTC

r1chard wrote:My daughter (not quite 5yo) gets annoyed because she wants to have a creature that just has wings to move around (lots of them ;) ) but in order to get further in the game she has to put on legs (dancing) and arms (posing.) Surely with a little effort they could've supported dancing and posing for flying creatures?

Pfft, try getting to the space stage without evolving at all. I'm halfway through the creature stage with the cell I started with...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:49 pm UTC

Wow, seeing this thread reminded me that I haven't played spore since the first week it came out.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

aleflamedyud
wants your cookies

Postby aleflamedyud » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:20 pm UTC

r1chard wrote:Dredging up this old thread to post my new pet peeve with the game:

Even with all the variety and creativity you can pour into the creature creator you're severely limited by what you can actually do in the game if you want to progress at all.

My daughter (not quite 5yo) gets annoyed because she wants to have a creature that just has wings to move around (lots of them ;) ) but in order to get further in the game she has to put on legs (dancing) and arms (posing.) Surely with a little effort they could've supported dancing and posing for flying creatures?

Yeah, I'm actually annoyed as fuck that the game locks me into putting arms and legs on my creatures. Whatever happened to the Spore that figured out how a creature would move based on how you designed it rather than making you design a creature it liked?

Specifically, I attempted to make Shai-Hulud and found myself unable to put any speed on a worm. And it levitated for some reason.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:30 pm UTC

My Shai-Hulud worked fine, and moved around like a snake. You're doing it wrong?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:25 am UTC

There are always added parts you can put on and shrink them, then hide them.
A floating shai-hulud would be scary, especially if it was proper size.
I Am Raven wrote:Math is like a penis: it can be very satisfactory, but also a pain in the ass.

Stief

Postby Stief » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:00 pm UTC

I don't know what came over me, but I bought the Cute and creepy add-on pack :P

Not a lot of new pieces, but they're all quite cool anyway. Also, the new patch gives more limbs, which I think is awesome. This might make me want to start playing more Spore again :P
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Xaddak

Postby Xaddak » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:33 pm UTC

Okay, so I just got the game a few days ago, as an early X-Mas present from my girlfriend.

What bothers me about the space stage:

Why the FUCK am I flying around doing everyone's laundry for them? "Oh no, FIVE creatures on our planet are diseased! You'd better take the ONLY SPACESHIP our ENTIRE RACE has been able to produce and fly over here to MELT THEM TO DEATH with your laser!" "Oh no, pirates are attacking and we don't feel like getting out of bed to man the turrets! Come put our race's only hope of moving forward in the galaxy at risk in a firefight for the sake of only one of our colonies!"

It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't ALSO have to ever so goddamn slowly work my way through earning all the tools. But no, I have almost no tools, the ones I DO have require ammo that I have to pay for, and all in all it is becoming a very unsatisfying sandbox experience. As I understood it from the bajillion previews Wright gave, when you hit space stage you became nigh-omniscient in the same way that the conversion from Tribal to Civilization goes from "stone axes" to "nuclear power" in the blink of an eye.

Oh, and flying around to collect spice that generates at 1 per never and a half? Also very annoying. Especially considering to upgrade my colonies, I have to spend the money I have been scrimping and saving to upgrade my ship. I could understand making me pay for stuff if there were a million spaceships and an economy based on it, but this is like NASA sending up the space shuttle, and when they get home a technician wanders out, looks over the ship, and says "Well, we could patch her up, but it'll cost ya".
Are you on this forum? Do you play EVE? Then join the xkcd channel! In your chat window, click on the speech bubble in the upper right corner. In the window that opens, type in xkcd and hit join.

-X

ACU-LP

Postby ACU-LP » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:20 pm UTC

I'd like to add to that; the fact that the other ships all have better weapons no matter what you do; when you get invaders, they have groups of one main ship with no weapons and shitloads of health, but guarded by about 12 little mini spaceships with close to that amount of health each. Now this wouldnt be a problem if they didnt have little red lasers that fire exceptionally fast and have an insane damage rate. But they do, so you get screwed over unless you have half a million followers too, which funnily enough you cant have because your civilisation is too stupid to build more ships and you can only have one-three mediocre at best allies at a time (so far).

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:40 am UTC

Epic Necro (1000 hp)

So, I'm on a slightgaming delay, and I'm wondering if anyone is taking notice of the Galactic Adventure expansion pack or whatever.
It seems like it could be interesting, but it also kind of seems like more of them missing the point of parts I enjoyed.
It's pretty much all been said already, but the main thing I found disappointing was how quickly game play moved away from being the creature you created, and how progress on one level was immediately made obsolete by moving to the next. I don't want to get into ranting, but seriously, did everyone just forget they had saws for arms and could fly?
Jedifreak wrote:I just ran into a tribal world... where my species is evolving again?

That's nothing, my first mission was to destroy diseased animal versions of myself. On my home planet.

I also tried making my dog, and later found a planet of her. I think they were at the tribal stage, even tho' I left out the "graspers".

LilPixie

Spore compatibility with Windows 7?

Postby LilPixie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:25 pm UTC

Hello forumites,

as the title states, I am in need of information regarding compatibility issues between Spore and Windows 7.

a) Although I use my computer 12-20 hours daily, I am not what one would call "tech savy";
b) I've been reading a few complaint threads in other forums (specifically techpowerup.com, ea.com, and steam.com) regarding compatibility issues with Spore and Windows 7;
c) I was waiting to upgrade to Windows 7 before I bought Spore;
d) Sensing it might be rendered a wasted endeavor, I decided to turn to you to further assess the situation.

Does anyone have any information regarding compatibility between the game and the OS?
"In the pursuit of knowledge, everyday something is acquired; in the pursuit of wisdom, everyday something is dropped." Lao Tzu

Return to “Gaming”