Spore: The Thread. New Topic - Does it work in Win7?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Re: Spore: Sep. 7th 2008, And the world goes into Mourning.

Postby b.i.o » Sun May 11, 2008 6:35 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:condenses from the vapourware phase.

Rather off topic, but that little turn of phrase just made me smile :).

Stief

Postby Stief » Sun May 11, 2008 1:31 pm UTC

It seems that they're not going to use the 10-day authentication thing now, and are only going to authenticate it every time you download new content etc.

Which is good =P
bbctol wrote:There is a term for what you have created. I believe it is "Dude- that shit is EPIC."

Teknobo wrote:Seriously, try flying down the street in Need for Speed while listening to the bicycle theme from Pokémon. It's beyond fantastic.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun May 11, 2008 2:55 pm UTC

The way they present it it actually seems useful- it's nice to not need the disk to play, and the dial home once option doesn't seem like a problem- so long as you can switch computers without too much trouble. If you replace your computer every year and they want you to buy a new copy of Spore for each comp...

I really hope the Stardock method of dealing with piracy catches on- "we won't be able to stop piracy, so we're going to focus on what paying customers want- and they don't want to have to deal with copy protection."
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

b.i.o
Green is the loneliest number

Postby b.i.o » Sun May 11, 2008 5:00 pm UTC

Yeah, I really don't know how the rest of the industry hasn't caught on to Stardock yet. Have they not seen GalCivII and Sins sell way above expectations and do extremely well while almost every other PC game is pirated to hell? (rhyme unintentional)

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Mon May 12, 2008 1:43 am UTC

and are only going to authenticate it every time you download new content etc.

Which is constantly.

So, uh, yay.

Mo0man

Postby Mo0man » Mon May 12, 2008 2:12 am UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
and are only going to authenticate it every time you download new content etc.

Which is constantly.
So, uh, yay.

Isn't that essentially what Blizzard's been doing for years?
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon May 12, 2008 2:28 am UTC

Or Valve?

Personally, I think the sort of validation they are doing is dumb, but if it works isn't too bad. Periodic validation would be just stupid. I have no internet at home right now, and nor do two of my friends. (On my part, it's provided by the apartment, it's just been down for a month or so. My friends don't spend enough time at home for it to be worth the cost, and this is why I'm not broken up about it for a couple more weeks. Grad school does interesting things to you...)

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon May 12, 2008 3:05 am UTC

EvanED wrote:Or Valve?

You only have to validate it once really. Afterwards, you can use this thing known as Offline mode.

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Mon May 12, 2008 3:56 am UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
EvanED wrote:Or Valve?

You only have to validate it once really. Afterwards, you can use this thing known as Offline mode.

Yeah, but from my reading you'll be able to do the same thing with Spore. The online content won't be *mandatory* after all.

The fact that Spore probably has a little more compelling reason to go online (as opposed to Valve, where it's basically for patches, to get a new program, or to unlock achievements) doesn't change the fact that in both cases you can operate it entirely offline.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon May 12, 2008 1:22 pm UTC

Fearbears?! wrote:
I can see that this will make things a bit more tricky for the pirates, but it's usually only a matter of time.

It doesn't even manage that. Anti-piracy protection has never once stopped, or even slowed, the pirating of anything - be it a game, an album, a new film. All it does is inconvenience the people who actually pay for it, seeing as it's only the legitimate customers who have to deal with it.

Actually, there are a few cases where it took up to 6 weeks to break a particularly new anti-piracy protection (I think it was secure-rom 1.0). The only reason for this, was that it was piloted on a bargain bin game that nobody particularly had much interest in, and the only people cracking it were those cracking the security for the sake of cracking new security.

fenrir_darkwolf

Made of matter, anti-matter and... it doesn't matter

Postby fenrir_darkwolf » Wed May 21, 2008 1:49 am UTC

Great new video for Spore: http://media.pc.ign.com/media/735/735340/vids_1.html.

By the way, since this is xkcd, can anyone name the main reason their slogan in the background is flawed? :D
"You're gonna have to learn everything anyway, so which is first is not essential."
-Richard Feynman

Neris

Postby Neris » Wed May 21, 2008 4:38 am UTC

I'm excited! I haven't been this excited about a game since the last final fantasy. I wasn't excited about halo 3 because I don't have a 360 :(
"My God, man! Do they want tea?"
"No, I think they're after something more than that, sir. I don't know what it is, but they've brought a flag."

kellsbells
Queen of Cupcakes

Postby kellsbells » Wed May 21, 2008 4:54 am UTC

Whee, that video made me actually excited about Spore again! I've been hearing about it and anticipating the release for so long that it sort of faded... but that video just made me realize that eventually I can actually play it and it looks cool enough to hopefully be worth the wait. The game looks insanely fun to replay, and probably will be the best way ever to invent lame fantasy worlds filled with interesting creatures. Let the generation of bad sci-fi begin! :lol:
A good pun is its own reword.
L wrote:A day without kells is a day not worth living.

thecommabandit

Re: Made of matter, anti-matter and... it doesn't matter

Postby thecommabandit » Wed May 21, 2008 8:05 am UTC

fenrir_darkwolf wrote:By the way, since this is xkcd, can anyone name the main reason their slogan in the background is flawed? :D

"Composed of matter, anti-matter and it doesn't matter"? Unless I'm missing something it seems too obvious to bother.

What I think the coolest thing about that video is that you can see gigantic organisms in the far background below. Really gives a sense of scale.

Draaglom

Postby Draaglom » Wed May 21, 2008 7:52 pm UTC

shadeofblue wrote:I can honestly say that this is the first time a new, non-console game has actually interested me. Between this and Starcraft 2, for the first time I'm wondering if my computer is good enough to run a game I want to play :shock:. Well, I've got Riven and Escape Velocity: Override to tide me over until fall :).

I really hope Spore lives up to the hype. It has amazing potential, I'm kind of worried they will hack away features to make the release date to the point that it becomes kind of dull. But I'm optimistic, I think they can do it!

I'm in exactly the same position.
EV:O FTW!

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu May 29, 2008 8:48 am UTC

Spore doesn't interest me at all. It seems like an overgrown Tomagotchi had sex with The Sims and they put the child up for adoption and it's now the child of the hippopotamus couple named Web 2.0.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

The Mighty Thesaurus
In your library, eating your students

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 am UTC

In other words, you are a bad person.
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing

Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

wing
the /b/slayer

Postby wing » Thu May 29, 2008 9:46 am UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:In other words, you are a bad person.

Well yes, but I don't see how this has any bearing on why I have no desire to create fictional life in a structured environment. I have better creative outlets than that.
I AM A SEXY, SHOELESS GOD OF WAR!
Akula wrote:Our team has turned into this hate-fueled juggernaut of profit. It's goddamn wonderful.

zenten

Postby zenten » Thu May 29, 2008 7:29 pm UTC

wing wrote:Spore doesn't interest me at all. It seems like an overgrown Tomagotchi had sex with The Sims and they put the child up for adoption and it's now the child of the hippopotamus couple named Web 2.0.

That actually makes the game sound rather good.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu May 29, 2008 7:50 pm UTC

The game looks good. It's simeverything.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

I'm so excited! The creature creator comes out June 17th. I'm going to make so many creatures!

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:47 pm UTC

The creature creator alone is probably half the fun. I can't wait till it's released.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

ShaKri

Postby ShaKri » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:10 pm UTC

man.... ive been on the mailing list for this game for years... (literaly)

when it comes out.... the whole world will need to step up to its genius...

ps.. i can get it on the 5th ;p (well ... unless there are further delays)
Signature : 01000011 01101000 01110101 01100011 01101011
00100000 01001110 01101111 01110010 01110010 01101001 01110011 00100000

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:40 pm UTC

while the creature creator is the best part, I don't see any reason to pay money for a teaser for the game...
I mean, really... it's a demo.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:05 am UTC

Jessica wrote:while the creature creator is the best part, I don't see any reason to pay money for a teaser for the game...
I mean, really... it's a demo.

...but...it's free...

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:07 am UTC

There is a free demo and one you can by for $10.
the free demo has 1/4 of the stuff of the one you can buy. At least that's what it was when I last checked.

aaron

Postby aaron » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

does anyone know the specs for this? i just got a new laptop and want to see if i can run it :D

Gunfingers

Postby Gunfingers » Fri Jun 13, 2008 4:55 pm UTC

Found this linked from wikipedia.

http://www.spore.com/what/specs_spore

FOR WINDOWS XP
* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 512 MB RAM
* A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* At least 6 GB of hard drive space

FOR WINDOWS VISTA
* 2.0 GHz P4 processor or equivalent
* 768 MB RAM
* A 128 MB Video Card, with support for Pixel Shader 2.0
* At least 6 GB of hard drive space

For Mac
Spore requires at least the following:
* Mac OS X 10.5.3 Leopard or higher
* Intel Core Duo Processor
* 1024 MB RAM
* ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300 GT with 128 MB of Video RAM, or Intel Integrated GMA X3100
* At least 4.7GB of hard drive space for installation, plus additional space for creations.*

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:43 am UTC

So, I'm playing the demo, and uhh, not that impressed. Everything's just so goofy and... I don't know, it just strikes me as something made for the same market as The Sims Ultra Holiday: Super Petz Edition 6!, rather than the totally uber game people have been hoping for.

The animations are all painfully, terribly, horrifically bad. Even if you manage to get something that looks good, it's ruined by the fact it'll just waddle around like an idiot. Four legged things move around like some sort of crippled lizard, and two legged things stumble around like a blind penguin. It's horrible.

Don't think I'll be buying the game.

MechanicalPen

Postby MechanicalPen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:29 am UTC

Well, the game IS made for the same market as "The Sims Ultra Holiday: Super Petz Edition 6." Sure the animations are a little cartoony but their not bad, just different. But I don't think this will make Spore a bad game.

Jack Saladin
X is kiss

Postby Jack Saladin » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:42 am UTC

... Have you played the demo? They are not just "cartoony". I wouldn't mind "cartoony". They just plain suck.

If they could just bend their knees it would maybe be bearable.

Edit: Been playing it a bit more, it is pretty fun. With a bit of effort you can kind of force them to walk less stupidly. It's still not going to be the game some people are expecting, though.

Here's some crap I've made:

CRE_-067f58c8_sml.jpg
CRE_-067f58c8_sml.jpg (188.58 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

I really liked this guy, but Spore didn't. Spore decided to stop acknowledging his existence. The file is still there, fine and dandy, but it doesn't show up in game. THANKS SPORE.

He was the ultimate combination of spikes and stealth. RIP The Sneak Thing.

CRE_-067f58ca_sml.jpg
CRE_-067f58ca_sml.jpg (187.19 KiB) Viewed 2603 times

This, bizarrely enough, was by far the fastest creature I created. It made for a slightly disturbing sight as it shot from one side of the screen to the other, screeching madly. Sadly, again, Spore decided to eat it.

CRE_horrible-067f9de4_sml.jpg
CRE_horrible-067f9de4_sml.jpg (187.21 KiB) Viewed 2598 times

This was the only creature Spore didn't delete. Great. Just friggin' great.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:47 pm UTC

Yeah, I've noticed the creature creator seems to stop recognizing some creature files.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:36 pm UTC

The FREE DEMO of the Spore Creature Creator uses securom protection, which prevents the program from running if you have Daemon Tools or Process Explorer (a perfectly legitimate administration tool). It's possible to hide Dtools from Securom's shitnosed driver snooping function, but there's currently nothing designed to hide Procexp that I know of.

The Grid demo has this problem too. What really drives me nuts is that it's not even a $50 game they're "protecting". It's a FREE DEMO. I put up with it for a while, with Test Drive Unlimited, because it was cool - I set Procexp to not start automatically - but TDU wasn't nearly as satisfying as I thought it would be and I shelved it after a couple of months. I only felt that I'd been ripped off, and deeply regretted paying for a game that was just as difficult to get running legally as it had been with the image I'd pirated. I'm not going to deal with it again, no matter how cool Grid or Spore are going to be. It's my fucking computer, and I will not pay money to have my computer invaded by malicious software.

Fuck that shit.

And fuck you, Will Wright.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:39 pm UTC

My files are occasionally only saved to "everything", and not to "my creations". Also, One of mine lost all his coloring somehow. It's a pity too. He was like a combination of a Goron and a peanut with legs in the wrong places, four mouths on it's back, and a tendency to walk backwards. I also made some other ones. Here, I'll post some pictures I took. Spoilered for size.
Spoiler:
CRE_Douege-067e373a_sml.jpg
CRE_Douege-067e373a_sml.jpg (176.3 KiB) Viewed 2513 times

Peanut Goron.

Spoiler:
CRE_Azzog-067eea62_sml.jpg
CRE_Azzog-067eea62_sml.jpg (187.82 KiB) Viewed 2514 times

An almost symmetrical thing that glitches all the time.

Spoiler:
CRE_Ehgow-067f1442_sml.jpg
CRE_Ehgow-067f1442_sml.jpg (176.79 KiB) Viewed 2511 times

CRE_Ehgow-067f1441_sml.jpg
CRE_Ehgow-067f1441_sml.jpg (175.4 KiB) Viewed 2509 times

The most hideous thing I made.

I'll show the rest when I'm less lazy.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:45 pm UTC

SimAnt -- red ants bad, black ants good!

So, where is a working demo URL? Or is that the pay-demo?
http://www.spore.com/trial
Last edited by Yakk on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:50 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:46 pm UTC

That hideous green tentacle thing is awesome.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:36 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:SimAnt -- red ants bad, black ants good!

You can't get it until the 17th, only acquire it.

tryptanymph
More metal than thou

Postby tryptanymph » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

Amnesiasoft wrote:
Yakk wrote:SimAnt -- red ants bad, black ants good!

You can't get it until the 17th, only acquire it.

Like I did today.

It's pretty fun, but my shitty system takes forever to render colour changes.
phlip wrote:sleepy, the only thing you're worse at is being not awesome.*
*All links to be treated as NFSW.

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 am UTC

lowbart wrote:The FREE DEMO of the Spore Creature Creator uses securom protection

Actually, there is a reason for demos having copyright protection on them, you know why? Because some groups will use the demo executable as an easier means of making a cracked version of the full game.

Not that it's really worth the effort if you ask me, but that's the logic they use. (Or so it was said on the Egosoft boards as to why X3 had Starforce on it).

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:15 am UTC

Okay. But it's still telling me what other applications I can and can't have if I'm going to be allowed to run the game.

Return to “Gaming”