Do you actually know anyone who uses Second Life?

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Teh Russians

Second Life

Postby Teh Russians » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

I was just wondering if anyone here is a Second Life resident. I'm on the teen grid though - I'm still 17. I'm Jimmy Schmidt in-world so if someone is a resident friend me, and we can make some sculpted raptor avatars or something fun like that.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Re: Second Life

Postby Jessica » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Games.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Unicyclist

Postby Unicyclist » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 pm UTC

Live in the present, not the false.

brb, playin WoW
don't plow that beautiful field!

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:38 am UTC

Gharbad wrote:Games.

It's not a game, It's a 3D environment where you can create original content while retaining full rights to it and sell it. It includes a 3D modeling tool and a programming language. Major corporations like IBM, DELL and Reuters have a presence in SL. Some people have made millions of dollars selling their content in-world. I wouldn't call it a game.

Attached are pics of a car I made, textured and programmed in-world (one pic was taken while in edit mode, hence the blue prim lines). Avatars can get in it and drive it. It has movable parts. You can make basically anything using the in-world tools, including fully functioning planes, cars, trains, animals, weapons, games, etc...

EDIT:grammar
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (284.44 KiB) Viewed 5053 times
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (561.07 KiB) Viewed 5056 times
Last edited by Teh Russians on Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:38 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Confucius wrote:Sit by the river long enough, and the bodies of your enemies will float by.

Jessica
Jessica, you're a ...

Postby Jessica » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:05 am UTC

I don't mean offence by that, but really it's a game, by the loosest definition of the term.
doogly wrote:On a scale of Mr Rogers to Fascism, how mean do you think we're being?
Belial wrote:My goal is to be the best brain infection any of you have ever had.

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:13 am UTC

If you think Second Life is a game, I'd hate to see your idea of work. Or torture.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:28 am UTC

If you think Second Life *isn't* a game, why post it under the "Gaming" forum?
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:41 am UTC

Second life is as much a game as a forum based on rendering is.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:If you think Second Life *isn't* a game, why post it under the "Gaming" forum?

It was moved to Gaming by Belial. It was originally posted in General.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:04 am UTC

Jack21222 wrote:If you think Second Life *isn't* a game, why post it under the "Gaming" forum?

I didn't. It was moved.
EDIT:woops, didn't see your post, SecondTalon.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:16 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

It was moved to Gaming by Belial. It was originally posted in General.

I pwned myself then, nice. :)
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:18 am UTC

Moving on...

My wife wants to get in to this game. Her laptop, however, bluescreens shortly after loading the game. She, at best, can run around for 5 minutes before WHAMMO...

I have no idea what's up with that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:07 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:My wife wants to get in to this game. Her laptop, however, bluescreens shortly after loading the game. She, at best, can run around for 5 minutes before WHAMMO...
Laptop specs? CPU, ram, video card?

I played SL, but quit about when I joined the fora because SL is decent as a hang-out-and-chat tool, but not much else.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:24 pm UTC

Ha ha! I knew someone would ask...

It's a 1.73Ghz Intel M, 2 gigs of RAM, running XP Media Center. Hardware Manager identifies the video as "Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family"

While I know it's from the Acer Aspire 9400 line, I'm currently unable to flip it over to see if I can get an exact model number. I'll check on that later. Still, her system ran WoW with zero problems, I threw Black and White 2 on it with no issues.... maybe I need to check on the video card, see if there's some kinda update. Looking at the system requirements for Second Life, maybe I just missed the video card thing.. I need to check and see if the 915GM thing is < or > the 945 chipset. Logic tells me it's not, but that's logic. This is computers.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Do you know how to use dumpchk at all? That could give you a hint as to what's causing the problem.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:46 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:Moving on...

My wife wants to get in to this game. Her laptop, however, bluescreens shortly after loading the game. She, at best, can run around for 5 minutes before WHAMMO...

Ever heard the saying that if someone borrows $20 from you, and then you never hear from them again, it was probably worth it?
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

Savoy_Truffle

Postby Savoy_Truffle » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:02 pm UTC

How long 'til you can get on the regular grid? I casually play after a freshman class got me into it (in-world, I'm Marguerite Pimpernel) about a year ago. I didn't know there was a separate teen grid. Once you get into the larger world, visit Suffugium. It was really crazy and beautifully developed as a dystopic city.
Lux, Calida, Gravis que Pura velut aurum et canunt angeli moliter modo natum.

Teh Russians

Postby Teh Russians » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:10 pm UTC

Savoy_Truffle wrote:How long 'til you can get on the regular grid?

Not for a while. My birthday is December 3rd. I heard that when you transfer you get access to special sandboxes and other cool stuff so that's nice.

Ati
Location: I'll give you a hint: it's dry, and slightly radioactive.

Anyone play SL?

Postby Ati » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:04 am UTC

I've been "playing" (if the verb can really be used) for a couple of months, on and off.

It's severely mis-managed, yes (I'm adding some of my rants to the bottom of the post), the graphics are sub-par, it runs horribly, and the community is quite frankly apalling for the most part (I keep a shotgun on my person at all times for furries). That said, it does have some redeeming features. It beats chat for hanging out with friends, and you can build some cool stuff in it.

Here are a few of my personal favorite anecdotes:

Yesterday, a friend of mine and I teleported into a sandbox where someone was making a domino display. My friend sealed us into a transparent hamsterball say, twenty feet in diameter. Then he spawned the Gears. The Gears are about, oh, twenty feet tall. They spin. Very fast. They also shoot around through the air, land, and water very quickly. Watching the dominoes fly like some game-room hurricane was about the funniest thing I've ever seen. I felt a little sorry for the guy making the domino display, until I remembered that he can reset the display, so it's merely annoying, as opposed to actually losing work. Then, the hamsterball got hit by one of the gears, and launched into the next sim.

The same friend also owns a gun he made, which is terrifying - he copied fifty copies of the script from every gun he owns into one box - he pulled the trigger once, and the bombs, bullets, rockets, fireballs, lightning, orbiter shots, disfiguring blasts, smoke, particles, and other assorted projective wiped out about half a sim (Yes, I have interesting friends. Yes, they spend way too much time on SL).

Now for the complaints:

1: For god's sakes - polygon meshes. Please. Dear god, please.

2: Shaders. Beyond shininess and illumination. This is not rocket science.

3: Physics objects by default.

4: A less arcane scripting language would be nice

4: Make a seperate category for erotically oriented mature regions, and violence oriented mature regions. There is an important difference.

Anyone have any stories/complains/comments to add?
I can kill you with my brain.

Lumpy
I can has morbid obesity?

Re: Second Life (Merged: Anyone Play SL?)

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:16 pm UTC

Can I necro this from almost three months ago?

Second Life is kind of like the Internet or going outside. What it is depends on where you are and what you do. There's a group of 256x256 meter areas called the SciLands, which are home to four areas owned by NASA, the NOAA, and the University of Denver School of Biology. There's a very neat virtual museum dedicated to Vincent Van Gogh that intersperses biographical information with a layout of his paintings divided into still life, landscapes, portraits, and self-portrait sections. It even has 3D reproductions of the most famous ones, depicting the night cafe he often visited, his bedroom, and Starry Night.

Ben & Jerry's set up an island dedicated to their "environmentally sound factory of the future" where they "lick global warming," and they have a game where you fly around collecting "meadow muffins" for a $4 reward to the daily top scorer. They're actually piles of cow dung. H&R Block set up an area where you can have in-world help with your taxes, for whatever reason, where they also hold "tax trivia" nights. CNN has an iReport area. Dell, IBM, and Cisco show off virtual models of their technology.

The Mexican Tourism Board has set up a 512mx512m region displaying the ancient Mayan and Olmec ruins, the rain forest, a giant cathedral, and a giant town square that serves as a gift shop for reproductions of Meso-American pottery. Dublin, Ireland's government set up a 256mx256m area to promote tourism to the region, too, and you have the option to have your avatar start there when you sign up. Denizens of other countries, cities, and states like Vienna, Iowa, Moscow, Israel, China, London, New Orleans, etc. also created impressive reproductions of their homeland.

Thirty universities, about two-thirds of them American, have reproduced parts of their campus as part of virtual tours to promote attendance. There was one in Indiana that used it as a tool to teach geology and held lectures there. I've only visited a few of those; I just searched for them all and bookmarked them for later.

There are two video game environment areas, set up to look like Midgar from Final Fantasy VII, and Twilight Town from Kingdom Hearts, where many Square-Enix nerds tend to coalesce. There's a 512x512m area set up by the self-proclaimed owner of the largest private map collection in the world to show off his old navigational maps.

There are areas dedicated to supporters of Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, the Ronpaul, and Bob Barr. The first one is biggest and takes place on the dock of a sandy island with, not kidding, rainbows, jumping dolphins, fireworks, and helicopters. The second one is a smaller building with two floors arrayed with handout notecards displaying his speeches and positions from his website, hooked up to "ObamaTV" in the center. The the Ronpaul building is about half as big as Obama's and is right next to an anti-Scientology building, just as you see it on the Internet. Bob Barr's supporters...have a small, isolated blimp about fifty feet in diameter. The groups supporting Obama and Clinton had about 750 members each during the primary season.

There's lots to do and lots to see, if you have the time to kill. But stay away from the perverts and the furries. Really, you'll probably only encounter them when you go looking for them.

dbsmith

Postby dbsmith » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Take a SecondTalon quote....remove a few words.....and WHAMMO!

My wife ..... She, at best, can run around for 5 minutes before WHAMMO...

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

1.73Ghz Intel M, 2 gigs of RAM

Same processing speed, and 3 gigs of RAM for the laptop I use. The problem is that World of Warcraft's world and scenery is static except when the game updates and saved onto your hard drive, but Second Life has a greater strain on your computer per unit of graphics quality because it's dynamic and changing at the whim of the users. Once you have stayed inside one area for a while, though, it's cached onto your hard drive and usually loads near instantaneously.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:14 pm UTC

Which should cause a framerate dip down to near negatives before it catches up, not a BSOD. But it does the latter, not the former. Also, BSOD's in areas she's run around in for long periods of time. And in areas she just popped in. So, not sure what the issue was.

Honestly, I'd forgotten all about it.

CadetMKultra

Is Second Life just furries hooking up?

Postby CadetMKultra » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm UTC

Got bored at my union hall a couple of weeks ago, and I downloaded Second Life. Nothing but furry strippers. Very strange. Tell me if you know any other uses for it?
"Science is interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off." - Richard Dawkins

Awia

Re: Is Second Life just furries hooking up?

Postby Awia » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:28 pm UTC

Were you specifically looking for them?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Phen

Postby Phen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm UTC

Oh, snap.
I'm a wizard. We know these things.

In war, one should seek to take and hold the high ground. From there, the enemy's movements are clearly visible, and he will struggle just to reach you, let alone fight you. High orbit is the highest ground there is.

yohanleafheart

Postby yohanleafheart » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 pm UTC

Well, I dj in there (www.musicworldradio.com), so there is more to it then furries.

Although they are quite present around.

Where were you?
"When you gotta do something wrong, you gotta do it right." - Fighter - 8-bit Theatre
"Life is a bitch. But it is my bitch." - Slick - Sinfest

Awia

Postby Awia » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:01 pm UTC

Now channelling Sleepygamer because he is banned: I play SL occasionally, and I can confidently say that unless you go into mature areas, and more likely FURRY mature areas, you won't see furry strippers.

*stops channelling SG*

Well that was weird, why did I feel all metal for a minute there?
Francis wrote:Look on the bright side, if you all die I'll still be handsome

Carnildo

Postby Carnildo » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:06 am UTC

SecondLife has a higher density of furries than the Internet at large, but they're still a minority.

(Personally, I'm a vehicle designer. Check out my rubber duckie boats sometime.)

Zealot

Postby Zealot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:27 am UTC

My brother had a friend who designed furniture and sold it for real money. Now that's awesome.

Pizzashark

Postby Pizzashark » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:51 am UTC

Second Life has always scared the hell out of me. It merges the real world and game world way too much.
UDSA inspected, FDA approved.
Everyone wants a slice.™

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Carnildo wrote:SecondLife has a higher density of furries than the Internet at large, but they're still a minority.

(Personally, I'm a vehicle designer. Check out my rubber duckie boats sometime.)

...Now I want join SL and do that. I'd never get away with designing rubber duckie boats at work.

Jebobek

Postby Jebobek » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:13 pm UTC

So uh who's up for using up some of your property making an XKCD bar/club/den? Possibly out of rubber duckie boats?

Sharlos

Postby Sharlos » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:47 am UTC

Heh, XKCDia's alter ego.

Orca

Postby Orca » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:41 am UTC

It has a few good Roleplaying sims if your interested in that stuff. They are pretty darn devoid of furries.
If you start an argument over whether "they" "them" and "their" can be used as gender neutral singular pronouns, in this thread, I will do terrible, terrible things to you.
-Belial

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:07 am UTC

I never figured out how to leave the startign island and/or find interesting places to go.

so, in my experience, there were no strippers, furry or otherwise.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

Lumpy

Postby Lumpy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:08 am UTC

You used to have to complete a lot of tasks like riding a vehicle, flying, or communicating with a bot the right way to show that you knew how to use the interface. That way, you wouldn't be going around saying "WAT DO I DO???!!"

They also used to have a "popular places" menu filled with spam all over it. Now it's a "Showcase" menu. I recommend Aldrich Chemistry if you want a fantastic educational place. Their virtual movie theater is how I found this website showcasing every element of the periodic table. http://www.periodicvideos.com/

Second Life just bought out two companies that offered an eBay-like website for Second Life items. I'm a merchant on both. I got about half a dollar from sales over the past three days, and then I spent about a dollar and a half on a set for cosplaying a Final Fantasy X character.

I know that the in-game currency is easily convertible to real money, but to do that, you need a membership, which costs $10 for one month, or $72 for a year. I'm inclined to spend everything I get in-world rather than saving over months' time, when even after a year 20% would still go to Linden Labs.

Peak simultaneous user count tipped 80,000 for the first time in my memory today.

Lumpy

Second Life makes content creation a lot harder

Postby Lumpy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:11 am UTC

https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/ ... xstreet-sl

So Second Life is basically a game where, if you study the mechanics long and hard enough, you can create anything. As I understood when I joined, the game was based on a community of 3D content creators like Flickr is based on people contributing photos.

In order to distribute something you create, there have been two options. First, you can pay about $5 USD for virtual land on which you can sell or give away your items. Secondly, you can pay only $0.04 per month in order to be able to list items online. You do this through renting a tile of land from another user to host a server meant for giving away copies of your item when someone asks.

If you listed an item online, you did it on the eBay of Second Life, which used to be hosted by a third party. The owners of Second Life, Linden Labs, bought that service, and then bought its main competitor in order to shut it down.

Now Linden Labs is introducing a policy where it costs $0.33 per month to give an item away for free online, and $0.04 for each item individual item being sold. For me, I've made over 150 virtual models of international coins. They can be used as props in scenery, they could be used in other items (like decorations for clothing), they could be used to give a sense of scale in places that intend to make you feel two inches tall, and when turned physical they can be stacked and slung around at other users.

Now I have to take all of them down or be charged about $6 USD per month, not because they are draining Second Life's hosting, but because Second Life is so horrible at providing good search functionality that they would rather take down the free items than fix it.

They said in their announcement that they think that people that give away free items are doing it solely to promote their own brand. It wasn't like that for me. I was learning to build content in Second Life and decided to give away the first items I made, like a cannon that could shoot long distances, in order to share them. I have no "brand."

Linden Labs held a three hour meeting where their employees met with the community to take suggestions on reforming the marketplace section of their website. The problem is that this was held during work hours, was buried in a sub-subsection of the blog section of the Second Life website, and most of the people that showed up were very successful business merchants, like the Wal-Marts of Second Life.

By recklessly purging freebies alongside product demos from Second Life, Linden Labs shows it thinks that Second Life is more a platform for people to make profits through content creation, instead of an artistic medium to have fun and express yourself through content creation.
Last edited by Lumpy on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:56 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Re: Second Life makes content creation a lot harder

Postby Jahoclave » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:32 am UTC

Second Life, now with more real life. I can't wait till they start subsidizing industry!

Buzzword

Second Life

Postby Buzzword » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:25 am UTC

Second Life, if you don't already know, is basically a 3D internet where you can hang out and build stuff. There's an XKCD group apparently, although for some reason it's called "undefined." My plastic Ken doll's name is Bruce Tanner, so go look me up next time you're in.

I'll be the first to admit it: depite its vast potential, Second Life is boring. There's lots of cool places to see, but for some reason, all the best places are always abandoned, and all the crowded places are ugly and lame (this is a sweeping and unfair generalization). I'm still looking for a place that has both cool stuff to look at and intelligent people to talk to. None of the complete strangers I have on my friends list are ever online. I'm so lonely! :cry:

Anyways, check it out! You can build stuff, and there's a scripting language if you're a coder.

Return to “Gaming”