League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Re: League of Legends

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:45 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Jesse - is that your login name or your summoner name? I think we need your summoner name to friend you.

Summoner name.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

Intrigued wrote:If 2 people dive you, get a kill, and walk away, you made a mistake. If you're talking about a 1v2 lane, you need to get support from your extra player. If you're talking about a 2v2 lane, then you getting pushed out of the lane means 1) you're committing a series of mistakes, 2) you are stronger in teamfights/late game and it's expected, or 3) you have a significantly inferior lane comp, and then yeah, that's a mistake.

You can wave off bad team comp as doing the best you can all you want, but like it or not, it's a mistake. It's your team playing poorly before the match even starts. You're dismissing an integral part of the game. Picking a bad team is playing badly just as is buying bad items, attacking at the wrong time, having bad map awareness, etc.

I disagree about the bad team. You can make a 'bad team' work. A bad team can still be effective if played right (see the all supports vs Riot staff game). Maybe it's less than ideal, but it's not on par with Brand buying AD or some such.

I suppose maybe a better way to look at it is mistakes in choice. I chose to try and get a kill and failed. Mistake. I keep getting hit by harass. I don't choose to get hit by it, I'm just being outplayed. And you make it sound so easy to get support from another lane :P .

How's everyone's experience with Xerath so far? I've had a friend playing him quite successfully, but he does well with nearly any mage you place in his hands. I've also discovered that Kog'maw can be quite the obnoxious defender on Dominion.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:How's everyone's experience with Xerath so far? I've had a friend playing him quite successfully, but he does well with nearly any mage you place in his hands. I've also discovered that Kog'maw can be quite the obnoxious defender on Dominion.

I agree.. Kog is very useful in dominion.

I've torn every Xerath I've seen up, but it seems like there are delayed skill shots or something?? So I'm assuming the server is on a learning curve for him atm...

One awesome thing about dominion: I've played probably around 80-100 games or so... have not seen ONE surrender :)

Mavketl
ELEPHANT MYSTICISM!

Postby Mavketl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

I played against a fed Xerath (he went 4/0 vs our mid I think?) as a squishy AD carry and it was hell. But yeah, most mages can dish it out when they get properly fed, so it probably doesn't say much.
Not A Raptor: Mav can be a very wily and dangerous player.
roband: Mav has a way of making everything seem right.
ELEPHANT SCIENCE - MORE ELEPHANT SCIENCE
- NEW: Elephant Math!

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

Of course you can make a bad team work if you have significantly more skill than the opposing team (see your example). All I am saying is that if 2 teams of equal skill face each other, one picks a bad team comp (e.g. all mages) and the other picks a well rounded team comp, the chance the former will win is far lower than 50/50. That's a mistake in a choice that you made while playing the (meta) game.

If the "all supports" team played against a well balanced team of their skill level, they would be losing near 100% of the time. Whether it's "on par" with Brand buying AD or not (I'd say it is, brand can be played "effectively" with ad the same way that an all support team can be played "effectively") shouldn't really matter, it's a mistake.

Everything that happens in this game is a choice. Your choice was to get in range and risk harass while failing to dodge it with your movement choices. Obviously in retrospect you wouldn't want to make that choice again, but the game is about making a lot of small fast choices, so as a human that's where mistakes come in. Look at it any way you want, but if you narrow your field of vision and only improve the things that you feel like improving, dismissing other things that will make your chance of winning better, you're not going to win as much. I prefer to define skill at the game as ability to win more frequently (and their elo system is based on that principle), but you can feel free to define it however you want. It's a video game so you should play however you enjoy most.

I don't think you see many surrender because the games are so short. I like xerath, but I'm the same way, mages are usually my favorite when I'm not going full compete.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

Intrigued wrote:Your choice was to get in range and risk harass while failing to dodge it with your movement choices.
I think this is where it changes. The game is obviously not "all choice". A person could make the correct choice 100% of the time and still not be a good player if they don't have skill to back it up. If someone drops an AoE skillshot (Cho, Brand) and you try to move out but react too slow, or fail to juke a line skillshot. These are not choices. This is lack of skill/reaction. You could say you made the choice to get in range of those, but if you have to do that, you've placed yourself at a severe disadvantage.

eeris

Postby eeris » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Gonna give this a try since I'm free next week. VTJRaen on EUWest

Added you, if you're wanting someone to play with to help you along or whatever just send me a msg.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:One awesome thing about dominion: I've played probably around 80-100 games or so... have not seen ONE surrender :)

I've surrendered once after the other team's Nexus exploded, which is pretty hilarious but since you do get less IP I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I'm agreeing with Intrigued (again) on the topic of team comp factoring into skill and/or mistakes: I remember seeing an interview where a Chinese player said the main reason for their loss to CLG was being outpicked on the selection screen (this kind of sounds like an excuse when I type it up, but it was a compliment to CLG's knowledge of the metagame, 1 aspect of their skill).

Basically, if you're playing to win, I would personally consider it a "mistake" if you pick Ashe after your team has already locked in Miss Fortune and Sivir, if you pick anything except a jungler when your team doesn't have one, if no one on your team takes CV, etc. The counterargument may be along the lines of "but I don't know how to play a jungler"- well, is that really any different than an in-game mistake like giving the other team free 2nd dragon even after you killed the first because didn't know the respawn time and blue pilled in the middle of lane, or trying to 1v1 an equally fed level 14 Jax as Ashe?

(I'm not saying you need to always pick a jungler if your team doesn't have- obviously it's a game and you should play for fun rather than to win at all costs. However, it is a mistake in the reference frame of achieving victory.)

Also as Prozac noted, while making good choices do comprise a significant portion of "skill", reflexes and precision are definitely a factor- an obvious example is when you try to last hit a cannon minion and leave it at 3 hp.

(edited for paragraph breaks- as you may have noticed I have a bad habit of editing my posts after posting instead of using the preview)
Last edited by rigwarl on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:21 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:16 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:Also as Prozac noted, while making good choices do comprise a significant portion of "skill", reflexes and precision are definitely a factor- an obvious example is when you try to last hit a cannon minion and leave it at 3 hp.

Even worse when you burn up mana using a skill to do that (aka GP's parrrley)

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:26 pm UTC

Yeah, I don't disagree with the team comp thing. Things in my mind that are just "being at a disadvantage", Intrigued just pointed out are technically mistakes. Disadvantages (and some mistakes) can be overcome, though it's not necessarily likely.

rigwarl wrote:I've surrendered once after the other team's Nexus exploded, which is pretty hilarious but since you do get less IP I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Alright, I want clarity on this, and am calling for a [citation needed]. I've heard this, and I've also heard it's false. I swear on read somewhere in a Riot FAQ that this *used* to be true, but it's long since been normalized, and the only real factors in IP gain/loss are length of game, win/loss, with an initial amount for just 'playing a game'. That is to say, surrender only gives less IP if you cut your game short by a significant amount.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:29 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I want clarity

noob.
Chuff wrote:I write most of my letters from the bottom

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:32 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
rigwarl wrote:I've surrendered once after the other team's Nexus exploded, which is pretty hilarious but since you do get less IP I wouldn't make a habit of it.

Alright, I want clarity on this, and am calling for a [citation needed]. I've heard this, and I've also heard it's false. I swear on read somewhere in a Riot FAQ that this *used* to be true, but it's long since been normalized, and the only real factors in IP gain/loss are length of game, win/loss, with an initial amount for just 'playing a game'. That is to say, surrender only gives less IP if you cut your game short by a significant amount.

Oh, I don't think you get less IP if you surrender right before YOUR nexus explodes. You can surrender after winning a game and actually lose though, which is what makes it hilarious. You can also surrender after the other team surrenders and lose.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:
Intrigued wrote:Your choice was to get in range and risk harass while failing to dodge it with your movement choices.
I think this is where it changes. The game is obviously not "all choice". A person could make the correct choice 100% of the time and still not be a good player if they don't have skill to back it up. If someone drops an AoE skillshot (Cho, Brand) and you try to move out but react too slow, or fail to juke a line skillshot. These are not choices. This is lack of skill/reaction. You could say you made the choice to get in range of those, but if you have to do that, you've placed yourself at a severe disadvantage.

Sounds like we are using words differently. You define choices as large sweeping decisions about where you generally are, if you attack, etc. I say the game is a continuous series of small choices that are forced on you at all times, and not responding is making a choice, whether you purposely do so or if you aren't fast enough to react. As such, I disagree that it's so obvious the game isn't "all choice", but could see how you would say that based on your use of the words. I would define skill as the ability to make better choices faster. If you don't have the ability to avoid a cho rupture, and you won't be able to harass him enough to make it more than worth your while to get hit, it's probably a bad choice to be in range.

The point of that whole nexus thing was that he surrendered after "winning", causing him to lose twenty dollars and my self respect. Win/loss changes ip gain.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:41 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:

noob.

He's right, clarity is terrible.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Wow, I lost Intrigued's self respect. I'm sorry =(

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

rigwarl wrote:Oh, I don't think you get less IP if you surrender right before YOUR nexus explodes. You can surrender after winning a game and actually lose though, which is what makes it hilarious. You can also surrender after the other team surrenders and lose.
That would be the key point I missed. Yay, reading comprehension!

Intrigued wrote:
Goldstein wrote:
noob.
He's right, clarity is terrible.
:(

On the topic of 'bad summoner spells', what do people think of Revive in Dominion? I'm having trouble deciding which spells I really want for dominion and one of my friends has taken to Revive... and it seems to work. Not because of the few seconds off your death, but the max movement speed afterward. He's definitely died in a few teamfights and been able to run back and cleanup for the teamfight 'win'.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:34 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:On the topic of 'bad summoner spells', what do people think of Revive in Dominion?

Cooldown is too long IMO. Promote is also superior when used correctly and the cooldown for it is on the bottom tier of the utility tree so unless you're a 9/0/21 build you can afford to put a point in it and not lose anything major.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:39 pm UTC

I wouldn't begrudge anyone for using Revive - you're going to die, after all - but I think the 9-minute cooldown is a bit much. Over nine minutes, you can use Ghost almost three times. That said, the total extra distance that it'll let you cover still isn't as much as Revive gives. Perhaps Revive is great as it'll let you steal a tower when you'd otherwise be out of the game, but I don't like to play that way.

Speaking of which, I've just come out of a game as Lux. My friend played as Heimerdinger, got the top of the scoreboard and told me "I don't think much to Lux in Dominion". I'm almost certain he was basing that on me coming fifth out of the team, and I couldn't disagree more. I think she's fantastic in Dominion, and she suits the style I like to play as a disruptor/disabler. Maybe I really was the least useful player on the team, but I'll ignore the scoreboard and keep playing her until the game results suggest that.

Phrozt

Postby Phrozt » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:44 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:On the topic of 'bad summoner spells', what do people think of Revive in Dominion? I'm having trouble deciding which spells I really want for dominion and one of my friends has taken to Revive... and it seems to work. Not because of the few seconds off your death, but the max movement speed afterward. He's definitely died in a few teamfights and been able to run back and cleanup for the teamfight 'win'.

Ok.. I don't know wtf was going on.. and I've only ever seen this once, but here's what happened.

First of all, I know this teemo used revive because he died right next to me by a point and was there about 5 seconds later.

The weird thing is that he was probably running w/about 800 run speed, if not more. Not joking. You know how sometimes minions get held behind and then the game catches them up and they run really fast for a few paces till they are caught up? This teemo did that from spawn to the first point in dominion. His character model was twitching, and it was just really odd.

Does revive make you go faster?? Wtf could have caused this?

Goldstein

Postby Goldstein » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:54 pm UTC

225% increase, man. I don't know if they mean a 225% increase, or an increase to a total of 225%, but either way it's huge.

Additionally, I've found out why my score is so low in Dominion. Apparently, I only captured one point in that game. Usually when I'm capturing with a teammate and we've nearly got the point, I leave them to it and run down the lane to fend someone off, or to put pressure somewhere else. If this is the cause of my low score, that's a poor scoring system. I'm not changing my game to deal with that.

eeris

Postby eeris » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:03 pm UTC

Goldstein wrote:Additionally, I've found out why my score is so low in Dominion. Apparently, I only captured one point in that game. Usually when I'm capturing with a teammate and we've nearly got the point, I leave them to it and run down the lane to fend someone off, or to put pressure somewhere else. If this is the cause of my low score, that's a poor scoring system. I'm not changing my game to deal with that.

Good, you shouldn't.

EDIT: The difference in peoples desire to play this game propperly between normal pick and draft pick normals is huge. I'd expect a similar level of trolls/baddies in draft picks as I would in blind picks but there's just not.
Last edited by eeris on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

I think it gives you full points for being nearby, but I'm not certain. I've definitely seen "+40 Point Capture" pop up on points I never channeled on. Either way, the scoring system is pretty broken. It awards offense much more than defense. Pushing minion waves to get a tower gets you nothing. Kills get you something, but a minimal amount. Playing a tanky champ that is just keeping the enemy busy while the rest of your team pushes elsewhere? Useful, but you'll get no credit for it.

faranim

Postby faranim » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

yes... Riot is already aware of all the issues with the scoring system. The LoL forums is littered with posts about how you don't get enough points for defending, the points system encourages poor play, you should still get the full +40 if you walk away from a CP while your teammate and/or minions finish the capture, etc.

I tried a Dominion game using Clairvoyance just for fun. From the very start the other team was mocking me with "oh noes, CV" but it actually turned out to be quite useful. It can be used defensively to ensure nobody is backdooring your points, and also offensively to avoid getting ganked when you're trying to capture.

I also had a hilarious game as Shaco + Teemo, and we basically held all 5 points for the whole game. The map was littered with jack in the boxes and mushrooms. Our nexus still had over 400 health when the game was over.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:28 pm UTC

Is fun. I've only been playing as Ashe in Co-op vs bots so far, but I'm starting to get the hang of things. Want to try Garen out next, he looks fun. So far just soloing top until people turn up with support. Occasionally sniping an opponent or tower by myself.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

It's been said before but bears repeating: The point system in dominion is broken.

You only get any real points by neutralizing or capping towers, or by getting a huge kill streak. Defenders get jack, lane pushers get less.

My point model:
Spoiler:
I kill streaks are fine because of the skill and luck needed to pull it off. Kills points should vary by location. Kills at a friendly tower should be worth less than kills at a enemy tower, while kills anywhere else should be less. Champions killed X seconds after leaving a tower area still count as a kill in that tower's area(cleanup kills). (Tower area defined as being just outside of the firing range of the tower to avoid having to be under turret fire constantly to get points) Junglers are not under tower fire or 1v 2 or 3 conditions as often as attackers or defenders and will live longer and are more susceptible to successful kill streaks.

Minions need to be worth points and the promote spell should give you points for your promoted minion's kills and tower conversion amounts. Killing a promoted minion should give a larger amount of points than a regular minion.

Staying at a tower defending should give you a small amount of rolling points that increases when an enemy champ is near. A defender that breaks an enemy tower conversion should be awarded a small amount of points.

Converting a tower should give you a rolling amount of points (after your ACTIVE channel engages) that increases when an enemy champ is near(tower cap, tower cap under fire) and any non channeling champs that have a kill at that tower's area in the last X seconds should get a small amount of points (cap assist). Kills at an enemy tower should be worth more than kills at a friendly tower.

A defender actively defending a tower should be making the same as an attacker that caps a base. Successful defenders don't always kill but the rolling points will even it out while successful attackers are usually only successful if they kill but the ones that are will do it faster, thus getting more channel time and rolling points to compensate.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:59 pm UTC

Honestly they should just do away with the point model completely- points are completely meaningless. I understand why they chose to replace the "K-D-A" from summoner's rift, but it's not like whoever had the best KDA was the best player on the team in SR anyway.

In other words, since there is no meaningless point system in SR, there shouldn't be one in Dominion.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:04 pm UTC

Fought a Rammus with Ghost Revive for the top point at the start. We killed him, about 3 seconds later. He was back at the point. It was fun to watch him zoom along the minimap and they won the fight for the top point.

Apart from that, its not that good.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Fought a Rammus with Ghost Revive for the top point at the start. We killed him, about 3 seconds later. He was back at the point. It was fun to watch him zoom along the minimap and they won the fight for the top point.

Apart from that, its not that good.

I think the point of the Rammus strat is to avoid those big fights at points, and just continuously backdoor while running away if they get close. I think in low skill-level games (where the enemy team doesn't have a dedicated defender), it can be an effective strategy.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:58 pm UTC

Phrozt wrote:IF YOU DON'T SEE YOUR SUMMONER NAME... please either re-post and update the list, or send it to me. If you don't want to be contacted, or don't want your name publicly listed, feel free to use "N\A," and ONLY used "N\A" if you do not want to be contacted!

XKCD :: LoL name(s) :: Lvl :: Play Ranked? :: Mains

Aaeriele ::
Aardvarki :: Aardvarki/US
Adacore :: Adacoron/US/EU
big boss ::
BurningLed :: Machinas/US
cmd :: CARAM/US
Drumheller769 :: Drumheller769/US :: 29 :: N
eeris :: eeris/EU, suckmyhose/US :: 30, 20
Elminster :: elmins/US
emceng :: Bozhe/US :: 9ish? :: N/A :: ~~Cho, Sivir
faranim :: Faranim/US
Gelsamel :: Adelle/US
Goldstein :: Cockstein/EU, GGoldstein/US
Gopher of Pern ::
hatten :: "jakkdl"/EU, "jakkdl US"/US :: 30, ~15 :: Y (~1270), N :: amumu, irelia, taric
Intrigued :: Sangren/US
Lostdreams :: Oneeyedghost/US :: 27 :: soon :: Ashe, (AP) Blitzcrank, and Brand
Marbas :: Nyyyyyy/US
Mavketl :: Mavketl/US, Mavketl/EU :: 30 :: N :: Rammus, Shen, Poppy, Corki
maybeagnostic :: BunnyTempura/US :: 15
Memorantix :: Memorantix/EU
Metaphysician :: smifcollege/US :: 30 :: ? :: Karthus, Alistar, Cho'Gath, Zilean
omerprime :: omerprime/US
Ortus ::
Pandemic21 :: Pandemic21/US
Phrozt :: Phrozt/US, Techno Tranny/US :: 30, 20 :: Y :: Akali, GP, Nasus, WW
ProZac :: Wild Toothpick/US :: 25 :: Kog'Maw
rheakith :: rheakith/US
rigwarl :: Dongtown/US ::30 :: Y :: Kassadin, Ashe, and Renekton
skeptical scientist :: Althai/US
Sokh :: Sokh/US
The Utilitarian :: Utilitarian/US
TheGreatMeh :: TheGreatMeh/US
Vapour :: Gorganoth/EUW
Windowlicker :: groundlicker/EU :: 20
Wyvern ::
yukizora :: Anathis/US

Updated myself. I haven't played for more than a month (and neither visited forums) so I'm probably quite rusty. I'm maniacally (best word ever) following http://www.clgaming.net/redtracker/language/en and watching streams/tournaments though so I rofl'd when I read riven OP in this thread =p.

Just wanted to point out a little thing:
Intrigued wrote: I prefer to define skill at the game as ability to win more frequently (and their elo system is based on that principle), but you can feel free to define it however you want.

The elo system doesn't care a shit about your win/loss ratio. It does reward you winning against harder opponents more than weaker opponents though, so you can theoretically reach very high with a negative W/L ratio. The only reason good people (except for those at the very top) have higher wins than losses is because that's the amount of wins needed to get at that level, after which you will get 50/50 due to there being such a big pool of players that you always meet similarly skilled people.

This doesn't work for top-top-top elo, though leavers/afk/trolls play pretty much no role in the big picture (again, unless you're famous and people choose to troll/not troll duo to knowing who you are and not liking/liking you.)

Dunno if I'm looking forward to dominion or not, I guess I'll be of the opinion that it's good for the game when you don't care really much, and just want to kill stuff.
Last edited by hatten on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

Honestly if you couldn't extrapolate that I meant win more frequently against opponents that are at your current elo level... I don't know what to say. I already write way too much as it is. What you said boils down to exactly what I said though, your elo is directly based on your ability to win games. It may be indirectly based on your ability to get kills or support well, but in the end, the only thing that controls your elo is what your win ratio is over a period of time (weighted as well by harder/weaker opponents). Anyway, the main point was that when you're playing a game, at the end of it your elo is going to be affected by if you won or lost, not by your kills, deaths, dominion points, items built, champs picked, etc., if you are trying to get "better" at the game and you define better as higher elo (as most people, I think, in general would, since despite obvious flaws and exceptions it's the best system we currently have), then skill = winning games, and you should pick champs (and improve your other meta-skills and in game skills) with that in mind.

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:36 pm UTC

Oh, didn't mean to come off that harsh. Of course you are good if you win, I was just nitpicking that elo is not based on win percentage, but I guess my rambling started derailing towards the end, I'm just a little irritated that I've read several people saying "My w/l is better than your so I'm better".

Anyway, http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/att ... 1311581822 =p

maybeagnostic

Postby maybeagnostic » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:37 pm UTC

setzer777 wrote:I think the point of the Rammus strat is to avoid those big fights at points, and just continuously backdoor while running away if they get close.

Almost all of my dominion games have a quick invisible assassin running around, backdooring all game long. Without vision wards and oracle it's almost impossible to kill them even with your full team chasing them which is obviously an infeasible approach to warding them off anyway. Too often I get stuck chasing them around all game which is just so boring.

I recently noticed that towers deal more damage with each consecutive hit. How does that work exactly? It also seems like a high magic penetration lets me deal more damage to towers. Is this right?
T: ... through an emergency induction port.
S: That's a straw, Tali.
T: Emerrrgency induction port.

hatten

Postby hatten » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:15 pm UTC

maybeagnostic wrote:Without vision wards and oracle ?

There are no vision wards on dominion. There is an oracle extract though, cheaper version of oracles that also got a timeout of a few minutes.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 am UTC

Besides the oracle elixier there are two dominion items one for ad one for ap which keep opponents visible for a while after you did damage to them. Naturally that only helps after engaging them.

How many of you do use smart cast? Personally I prefer using it, I can't play Ryze anymore when I changed some skills back to normal casts to play a skill shot hero.

hatten

Postby hatten » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:40 am UTC

I use smart cast for almost everything, though there are some spells I really cannot live without normal casting (some skillshots). I have normal spells on aoeu (asdf in qwerty) and ctrl+spell for smart cast, so when I want to smart cast I just press down ctrl with my palm.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

I switched over to all smart casts fairly recently entirely because of cassiopeia who freaking loves autocast. I started with just w and e, because her q is auto smart cast, then I left that over on other champs, found I liked it, added in q and resisted adding in r because I felt like most ults were too valuable to "waste". Then I played icebird with qwe on autocast and realized that having to do that extra click for R was really screwing me, so now I am a full convert. I still miss a targeted shot every once in a while on a creep but that's getting fewer and further between and I'm just loving it overall. The only thing is sometimes I'll hover a skill to see its range or click it to show skillshot range, but even without that I find that I already pretty much know them all by heart.

Jesse
Vocal Terrorist

Postby Jesse » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:32 pm UTC

Okay, so this game is pretty fun. Currently Level 5 just playing co-op vs bots as Ashe. Just been getting the recommended items, and going a WE based build for quicker gold and the ability to farm minions quickly. Is there anything I should be specifically looking at or doing?

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

I use the button (shift? Ctrl?) for smartcast on champs I want it on. I mainly do this for the few things I want to be able to see the range on before casting. Namely Kog'maw's ult. I have a bitch of a time hitting without that indicator, and I like to be able to see the range constantly so I know just have far ahead I can lead them or where I could hit if they try to juke.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:23 pm UTC

Default is Shift.
Ctrl is leveling up the skills
Alt is self cast.

I use Ctrl and Alt all the time, I sometimes use shift, for things like Anivia's ult.

eeris

Postby eeris » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:36 pm UTC

Jesse wrote:Okay, so this game is pretty fun. Currently Level 5 just playing co-op vs bots as Ashe. Just been getting the recommended items, and going a WE based build for quicker gold and the ability to farm minions quickly. Is there anything I should be specifically looking at or doing?

WE based build?

Return to “Gaming”