League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kag

Re: League of Legends

Postby Kag » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

emceng wrote:So what's the deal with honor? Seems like every game I get +1ed. Can you get more than +1? Is it worth anything?

You can get more if more than one person gives you honor. And right now it isn't worth anything except you can get a little badge that shows up during champion select to let everyone know how cool you are, but they say there's more plans for it.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:33 am UTC

I'm disappointed you can't get any honour in Dominion. I mean, it's just a little badge, but it's just reinforcing the idea that it doesn't matter, so it's a great place to go if you feel like trolling/ragequiting. Even if it was on a different scale (like solo/team rank is) or something I'd be happy.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

Yeah, had some guy quit right away in a Dominion game Saturday. So pretty much wasted 10 minutes getting crushed. Very annoying having no chance.

On Dominion games, that little shield next to your name in your history? Does that just mean your rank - like 2nd or 3rd place?
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:56 pm UTC

I just played my first ever game jungling (as Cho). It was horrific. The enemy counter-jungled me pretty hard, and I did some stupid chasing early. I was hoping I wouldn't have an enemy jungler in my first game, which is common at my level, but they had Udyr. Our team still did ok, and I feel like I started contributing better to the later fights, but we never really got it together in teamfights (we were winning when we did), so we lost, and I ended up 2/17/12. :oops:

I'm still only level 18, but I figured out that Cho can at least clear the jungle unaided at this level without runes, so I may as well start trying it. Once I get up to 20 I'll buy full runes, and that'll hopefully be much better. I feel like I learnt a lot from that game, at least.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Yeah, had some guy quit right away in a Dominion game Saturday. So pretty much wasted 10 minutes getting crushed. Very annoying having no chance.

On Dominion games, that little shield next to your name in your history? Does that just mean your rank - like 2nd or 3rd place?

Yeah, same as in the post game and in the tab menu during the game. You get a shield for that game if you scored in the top three points (so if you killed people on point and such)

I like how they reward different play styles by using points not KDR, but to me that means "This mode is more tactical than a straight-up stomping fest" rather than "This mode doesn't matter, troll away!"

Adacore wrote:I just played my first ever game jungling (as Cho). It was horrific. The enemy counter-jungled me pretty hard, and I did some stupid chasing early. I was hoping I wouldn't have an enemy jungler in my first game, which is common at my level, but they had Udyr. Our team still did ok, and I feel like I started contributing better to the later fights, but we never really got it together in teamfights (we were winning when we did), so we lost, and I ended up 2/17/12. :oops:

I'm still only level 18, but I figured out that Cho can at least clear the jungle unaided at this level without runes, so I may as well start trying it. Once I get up to 20 I'll buy full runes, and that'll hopefully be much better. I feel like I learnt a lot from that game, at least.

I feel sorry for you here. Udyr is a pretty brutal jungle opponent, especially if he takes an early point in turtle stance (though when you hit 30 it's more common to go for all out chase/damage at the start). There are far better junglers than cho, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there eventually :D
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

3fj wrote:I feel sorry for you here. Udyr is a pretty brutal jungle opponent, especially if he takes an early point in turtle stance (though when you hit 30 it's more common to go for all out chase/damage at the start). There are far better junglers than cho, but keep at it and I'm sure you'll get there eventually :D

Thanks - my second game went far better. I ended up 19/4/11 and basically carried the game. The main problem with Cho is that his builds are expensive (especially in the jungle, where you're spending so much on wards too), and he needs his feast stacks. That means he's awesome so long as he's getting kills/farm and not dying - it's not exactly that he snowballs, it's more that he reverse-snowballs if he dies a few times.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:35 am UTC

If you're just starting on jungler, try Shyvana. Be ready to ignore your team if they're dicks, since Shy isn't superhelpful to your lanes, like Lee Sin might be, but she's pretty much unshakable in her jungle. She's fast and stays healthy during the jungle, and she can tangle with most champions in a one-on-one pre-six*. After six, she gets a neat escape. She's not a great ganker, though she'd be a lot better if you aren't absolutely terrible with her R like I am. I never hit that freaking thing.

*Actually, asking which jungler would win a one-on-one fight is a trick question, because the answer is always "whoever gets help from their lane."
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:59 am UTC

I don't think I'm going to buy any more champions until I've bought full runes for the two I have once I'm level 20*. I might look at Shyvana after that though. It'll probably depend how I'm feeling about jungling in general at that point. I might decide I prefer laning once I've had some decent jungle experience. Jungling just has so much more uncertainty and decision points than any of the other roles - do I take my jungle, invade, back, gank (top, mid or bot?), and the timings for monster camps make everything much more complex than I expected. It'll get easier in time, I hope.

*I only got Cho and Morgana on a drunken whim on Friday night, because I enjoy playing them and they're not terrible. Plus, they cover four of the five possible roles - Cho can do top or jungle, and Morgana can mid or support, so I'm almost always able to play one of the two.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:45 am UTC

omgryebread wrote:*Actually, asking which jungler would win a one-on-one fight is a trick question, because the answer is always "whoever gets help from their lane."

Nah, the answer is "BROOOOOOOO" :P

The problem is being overly predictable, which is especially hard in a jungler. After a while, there a people who start to figure out the timings of different junglers and jungle paths and know when you'll be weakest and where you'll be when you're starting off.

I'd say that the R is a nice initiate as well, which means she's one of those junglers where she needs to rush the jungle as fast as possible for 6

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:55 am UTC

3fj wrote:I'd say that the R is a nice initiate as well, which means she's one of those junglers where she needs to rush the jungle as fast as possible for 6

Ehhh. It's awesome in teamfights, but you won't be having those at level 6 very often. It's not a huge help in ganks, either, so if that rush involves sacrificing early lane pressure, it's likely a net loss.

Adacore wrote:The main problem with Cho is that his builds are expensive

What items are you building?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:17 am UTC

Kag wrote:
3fj wrote:I'd say that the R is a nice initiate as well, which means she's one of those junglers where she needs to rush the jungle as fast as possible for 6

Ehhh. It's awesome in teamfights, but you won't be having those at level 6 very often. It's not a huge help in ganks, either, so if that rush involves sacrificing early lane pressure, it's likely a net loss.

What I meant was that the leap from the ulti combined with the speed from your firesheild thing makes you a pretty terrifying surprise gank if you can get behind them. You cover a whole heap of distance just as they spot you on the ward. Even better if you enter their jungle through the mid entrance (which is much less likely to be warded) and leap the wall into the bush.

You're right enough, though, that shouldn't be put above anything else. It's just something to keep in mind.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:10 am UTC

Kag wrote:
Adacore wrote:The main problem with Cho is that his builds are expensive

What items are you building?

I'm basically modifying this mobafire build, so regrowth pendent into philosophers stone, then heart of gold, boots (I've never actually been against a team comp where I needed merc treads yet, so whatever boots seem good), then build up frozen heart and wits end. Shurelyas unless we've actually got a support (and they're building sensibly) - the mobility is just so useful on Cho, then Randuins and/or Trinity Force (the main problem I have with building the Trinity Force early is it's hella expensive and takes up your slot for wards). Obviously change that up a bit depending on the team comps, but that's the basics. Alongside that lot, heaps of wards and an oracle or two means full build comes to something around 18k.

I'm not at all expert on builds - I normally take the best build guide I can find online and modify it slightly in-game if required. Fortunately there's almost always someone who takes forever to load, so even if I'm forced into playing a champion I really don't know there's enough time to scan-read a guide. When I was playing last year I got familiar enough with all the items to be able to make up builds myself from scratch in-game, but I'm not quite back to that level yet.

Also, I'm used to playing my offtank-AP top lane Cho, which does rather dramatically more damage with abilities, especially in the mid game (I'm always surprised if I don't one-shot a carry with rupture+feast), so that throws me off a little for jungle Cho.

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:25 pm UTC

I feel like you're thinking along the right lines. Jungle Cho'gath's job is more to walk into fights and dump cc everywhere than being a nuker, mostly just because junglers can't farm up as easily, and defensive items tend to be more cost-efficient. If you're getting ahead and have money to burn, buying offensive items like you would in lane can help widen your lead. Otherwise, basically the only stats you need to be scary are CDR and resistances. To that end, I'd say always get the Shurelya's at some point, even if your support is getting it, and put frozen heart ahead of randuin's omen as your armor item. The shorter cooldowns will help you keep your feast stacks up and get more done in teamfights.

I'm not too sure about triforce, though. The stats aren't bad, but Cho can't make super great use of the sheen procs, so I don't see it being a critical buy like it is for more spammy champs.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Kag wrote:I'm not too sure about triforce, though. The stats aren't bad, but Cho can't make super great use of the sheen procs, so I don't see it being a critical buy like it is for more spammy champs.

Yeah, I kinda get that feeling too. It might be worth grabbing something else instead. I'm drawn to an Abyssal, if noone else on the team gets one, but maybe going for more AD or AS would be preferable for jungle Cho.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:54 pm UTC

I fucking love Pantheon. Just had a bad game. My top partner rushed, then died immediately and quit out. So 4 on 5. Then Ashe fed like crazy. We surrendered really early, at 11/22/8. I was 9/6/1. I had almost 90% of our kills.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:21 am UTC

Adacore wrote:
Kag wrote:I'm not too sure about triforce, though. The stats aren't bad, but Cho can't make super great use of the sheen procs, so I don't see it being a critical buy like it is for more spammy champs.

Yeah, I kinda get that feeling too. It might be worth grabbing something else instead. I'm drawn to an Abyssal, if noone else on the team gets one, but maybe going for more AD or AS would be preferable for jungle Cho.

Personally, I'd stick solely to resistances, AP and cooldowns. Abyssal is a really good choice here.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

So Riot is making rentable skins for wards which only last a week. Yay. (No.)

And a ton of nerfs. I can't wait for next season.

On the topic of honor, I have been getting honor consistently for the last couple of weeks on Dominion, dunno what's up with you guys. In fact 99% of my honor comes from it.
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Mutex wrote:Enjoy the shoe!

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:13 pm UTC

So, I am addicted to Dominion now. Started playing again, went ahead and dropped $20bucks on RP for the first time.
Trying out some heros I never played before, but I want to buy a good AP or Ad carry, thinking Diana is pretty brutal maybe kassidin.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:12 pm UTC

Kassadin is currently broken on Dominion, especially in higher levels. Diana is also pretty damn good.

As for an AD carry, there's a wide selection. Can't think of a particularly horrible one, really.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:36 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Kassadin is currently broken on Dominion, especially in higher levels. Diana is also pretty damn good.

As for an AD carry, there's a wide selection. Can't think of a particularly horrible one, really.

Just played a game with Kassadin and not a single caster on other team, basically all tanks. Was horrific and I was the feed.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:59 am UTC

I've beaten a few Kassadins in my time, yeah. No champ is insta-win material, unlike what half of the LoL community will tell you.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:15 am UTC

Yeah, I don't know what Dominion is like - I've never played it, but in 'normal' Summoners Rift games, most of the champions that are called OP are either champs that get really good when fed, but need items to be effective (so you just have to avoid that; most good AD carries are somewhere here), or champs that do really high burst damage but are very squishy and/or easily countered (like Katerina, and many AP carries, for example). Jax fits both categories, I think - he needs items to be good, and he tends to be fairly squishy with high damage output, unless he's really fed. If people just focus him, Jax dies really fast, but everyone always panics and runs - I think partly because Jax's character model/portrait looks so tanky, everyone assumes he is.

(Related: I 1v1'ed a Jax with Morgana yesterday, without using my ult. I was fed and he wasn't, but it still felt pro.)

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:50 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I think partly because Jax's character model/portrait looks so tanky, everyone assumes he is.

Well, he kind of is. He has high base health, armor, and mr growth, and his ult gives him bonus resistances. He also usually builds offtank items like Wit's End, Frozen Mallet, and Guardian Angel.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:20 am UTC

Also he can avoid all autoattacks for 2 seconds, which is a LONG DAMN TIME when he leaps onto you.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:46 am UTC

Weeks wrote:I've beaten a few Kassadins in my time, yeah. No champ is insta-win material, unlike what half of the LoL community will tell you.

Only half?
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:58 am UTC

Well, everyone agrees Irelia needs to be nerfed, but I digress.

Edit: And Jax is really strong, as well as most of the usual top laners, which is why they're fixing top lane come S3.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:59 am UTC

Weeks wrote:Well, everyone agrees Irelia needs to be nerfed, but I digress.

Edit: And Jax is really strong, as well as most of the usual top laners, which is why they're fixing top lane come S3.

Even Riot agrees. I remember an interview where someone at Riot was basically saying "Yeah she can do everything forever. It's a little silly." Honestly, It'll be nice for them to shake the meta up a little. Top lane especially is so boring until at least mid game. I'd like to see it become a little more high risk (kinda like a mid-lane but for AD; which it was sort of becoming until all these tanky DPS started cropping up). Though it'd also be nice as a sort of "wildcard" lane. "What does your team need. Put them top, get the jungler to cover them a bit more if they need it".

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:43 pm UTC

Yeah, jax is pretty tanky unless you're focusing him down hard. He also has great mobility and on top of the 2s of dodge, stuns you after. He's pretty beast.

Kassadin is a monster on dominion. Against an all tank team he'll struggle more, but he can still be devastating. He's more late-game so you need to play smart early for him to become horrifying. Also if your team comp was crap (e.g. a bunch of late game squishies), you're definitely going to get steamrolled by a bunch of bruisers.

I don't think anyone is insta-win, but there's certainly champions that are fairly overpowered in even semi-skilled hands.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am UTC

I guess I was just projecting my experience from a few recent games where (1) I got destroyed as Jax, (2) enemy Jax got fed and just rolled all over us, but when we actually caught him and he died the teamfights went way better [this didn't happen often, we still lost], (3) enemy Jax was outlaned pretty bad, and I crushed him in a 1v1 with my mid Morgana.

My best games lately have all been Janna/Sona support games, but I always feel a little bit peeved when I don't get any honour for playing support - I saved people from certain death at least a dozen times in my last Janna game (which we won handily), and barely died at all myself, but didn't get a single teamwork point :(

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am UTC

Adacore wrote:I saved people from certain death at least a dozen times in my last Janna game (which we won handily), and barely died at all myself, but didn't get a single teamwork point :(

I play support and jungle almost exclusively in normal and I can tell you this: The team's ego is hoarded by your carry. Even if you saved them with a clutch knock-up/stun/slow, very rarely will a random matchup appreciate that. It's very much a lose-only position (as in if you're good, the guy stays alive and just assumes you're doing your job. If not, everyone blames the support.) Junglers have a similar problem. It's horrifying watching the game disintegrate in front of you and not being able to do anything about it.

See also the previous conversation about the masses of MOBA players being wanks.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

I feel like I actually see supports blamed more rarely than others. Jungles are usually the highest on the hit list. ADC seem more likely to get blamed than support, unless the support is real bad, never warding, etc.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

Intrigued wrote:I feel like I actually see supports blamed more rarely than others. Jungles are usually the highest on the hit list. ADC seem more likely to get blamed than support, unless the support is real bad, never warding, etc.

Yeah, I rarely get blamed as support unless I do something stupid (which, so far, has mostly been terrible Janna ults saving enemy champions, and it's entirely fair to blame me for that), and fairly frequently get thanks in-game for helping someone survive or securing a kill. As jungle you can get flamed really hard if someone's losing their lane - lots of players just blame the jungler automatically, even if it's entirely because of their own terrible play. I had one game recently as jungler where I had the only positive k/d ratio on my team and pulled off a few decent ganks, and the team still blamed me for the loss, somehow, despite two of the lanes feeding really badly :roll:

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

Maybe I just play with assholes. To be fair, most of the time I'm supporting a friend and we're talking on Skype, so it's probably just gone without saying after so long :P

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Ok, what's the most unthinkable K/D you've seen? Played a game where we were on bot and doing really well. Top just fed and fed and fed. Master Yi ended the game with 74 kills.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:10 pm UTC

Best ive done is 37 kills and 5 deaths as poppy.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:31 pm UTC

So I started playing Volibear....

Had to go buy him with RP... dude rocks. "Hi I'm a tank that can 1v1 or 1v2 you".

In dominion he is a god, easy to farm him up and put the hurt on.

Thadlerian

Postby Thadlerian » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:22 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:So I started playing Volibear....

Had to go buy him with RP... dude rocks. "Hi I'm a tank that can 1v1 or 1v2 you".

I'm having a hard time not feeding with him in Summoner's Rift. Any general tips?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:23 pm UTC

Hmm. Would you say you're more comfortable with tanks than assassins? 'Cause Kass is more like the latter.

Esern

Postby Esern » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:09 am UTC

emceng wrote:Ok, what's the most unthinkable K/D you've seen? Played a game where we were on bot and doing really well. Top just fed and fed and fed. Master Yi ended the game with 74 kills.

i played a custom 1v5 (trynd vs squishys) game where we attempted to get a hextakill. cant remember the exact score but he had over 100 kills easy.
so you know. we found it too be not possible.

The trynd was lv 18 and everyone else was still lv 1 and had revive. still no hextakill :(

we manged to kill the trynd 1v5 once everyone was around lv 12. that was fun.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:58 pm UTC

While I cannot speak to dominion, I find the opposite to be true. He does trade pretty well, and can do it from behind your line with his minion fear, he is susceptible to all-ins when he does it behind your line. He has a pretty short list of champs he can counter and other champs that break even will just farm lane and be more effective late-game.
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

Return to “Gaming”