League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Kag

Re: League of Legends

Postby Kag » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 pm UTC

Nork wrote:If you get no reward for doing things well, the game loses all it's strategy.

Which is why one of your players gets a jetpack every time you score in football.

Generally speaking having some kind of lead is a reward in and of itself, even if it doesn't directly confer the ability to win better.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

You could remove the gold gained from destroying towers (perhaps alongside strengthening the towers)? The tactical advantage of increased mobility / downed inhibs would still be there, but it would mean a team that got a big tower lead wasn't automatically 5k gold ahead. I suspect that would just lead to far more focus on contesting dragon, rather than trading objectives. I'm not sure if that would be a good or bad thing.

yurell

Postby yurell » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

I just think the gold value (both that you get and that items cost) needs to be twerked so that your scaling starts to matter increasingly into the midgame, rather than having already decided the match by the late early game — if the idea is to reduce the snowball by making it take longer to build up momentum, I don't think there needs to be much in the way of mechanical change.
I am ambivalent to the idea of buffing towers, because while it does slow down the early game, it also makes comebacks much harder, since if you're losing it's a lot harder to claim that global gold.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:29 am UTC

The core problem with snowballing is where the probability of an equal outcome drops too rapidly after relatively small advantage.
Having a big advantage should lead to a bigger advantage, but where say jax gets 1 kill then proceeds to tower dive you every time you come to lane is where it's kinda stupid.
You should be able to farm at tower if you're only a small bit behind with relatively low risk if you're only a small amount behind, picked correctly, and built accordingly. With champions like Jax (bonus armor), Aatrox (Revive passive), Tanky junglers who may have got a kill, etc. they have things which turn ordinary tower damage into being not effective enough.

Currently outer towers are:
152 base damage + 4 damage, 1 Armour, 1 MR per minute after 00:15 (for outer) which caps 184 base damage.
Repeated hits give: 105%, 125%, 150%, 175%, 200%, and up to a maximum of 225% on the sixth hit and beyond.
They have 30% armour penetration, and deal 70% damage to siege minions and super minions.

I'd change outer turrets to (To begin with to judge effects):
Same base stats
+5% on all levels of repeated hits. (Higher stacking damage requires more team play/skill to deal with)
35% armour penetration.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:46 pm UTC

The snowballing problem.

I don't see it as such a problem in lower leagues.
People Constantly throw games. I see games eb and flow back and forth very frequently.

I had a game yesterday where my team was winning 8 towers to 1, we got every dragon, 2 barons, and we lost. (I hadn't noticed that our ADC was horrible, and just got lucky killing the worst volibear in the history of volibears 7 times - giving the illusion he wasn't the worst varus in the history of varus'es.)

I do think its evident at the WC that snowballing is a problem there, but I don't think its a problem in lower leagues.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:10 am UTC

I wanna try something fun right now. I guess some people call it ANARCHY!

I fucking love everything to do with Jinx. Except the comments, but who likes those?
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:39 pm UTC

Yeah, the video was pretty awesome. I still prefer Vi's song and style (it's hard not to compare the two), but certainly impressive. They do a much better job of building hype for champions these days.

I do know I'll be playing a ton of Vi when Jinx releases. What's that Jinx, you've got no on demand MS boost, dash, or blink? Yeah, Vi's gonna wreck you.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:35 pm UTC

I have only heard a little about Jinx, but my understanding is that she has an unlimted range ult that does more damage the further the distance.

What would the damage be from Fountain to fountain?

I was also told she has several slows/stuns(the grenades)

If a champ is chasing you, couldn't u just drop the grenades in your own path then run over them and have enemies get stunned if they follow?

When does Jinx come out?

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:06 pm UTC

Exact release date hasn't been announced. Her code is apparently already released, but she hasn't been enabled yet.

Her grenades are roots, not stuns; she also has a skillshot that slows if it hits but is telegraphed (so can be dodged). Those are her only CCs.

Her champion preview got released today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... N3OYwP8nHE
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 pm UTC

She seems about as cool as Vi did on release, except even more bombastic (no pun intended). A full fledged music video? Goddamn.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:00 am UTC

It's another case of "I really like this champion but I'm terrible at the role she fulfills." That said, my level play up top increased tenfold cause I really wanted to play her. This might do the same for my ADC skills.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:42 pm UTC

4 Questions.

1) Does anyone else only see Zed, Fizz, or Kassadin mid? In most ranked games I see one of those 3 mid. (I always take Kassadin if he is available). So almost all games are regular mid champs getting crushed by one of those 3.

2) Orianna... I am looking for a new mid because I am bored of Kassadin and since the Downgrade to Ryze's range, I suck with him now. Its also gotten to the point I only win with Kassadin or I can't carry with other AP champs. So should I get Orianna and can you carry with her? (I have never played her, I just know she throws that ball)

3) I am thinking to switching to Top as my prime. The only champs I feel good with at that spot are Singe, Jax, Yi, Malphite, Teemo, J4, Xin. Any recommendations for a top that can carry and snowball? I own Riven and Jayce but have only played them once or twice in Dominion.

4) I read that top lane kind of doesn't matter because the two champs basically just fight each other all game and are far less likely to get involved with roaming. Its like the true solo lane. Once I read that I found it to be quite true. We both ward, we both dont die to ganks (unless they are bad), and we bascially just have this perpetual stalemate going on where you can't really leave without losing your tower. Do you find this to be true as well?
[ I find enjoy the role because its less stressful and easier to farm ]

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:59 pm UTC

1) I'm seeing Ahri mid a lot as well.

3) Jax or Nasus as carries, imo. Tryn has some amazing split push potential if you go that route as well.

4) Top very much matters. I rarely see a stalemate up there, though. Usually one of them eventually dies to getting outplayed or ganked, and whichever side wins top lane seems to win the game, moreso than mid or bot for whatever reason.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:46 am UTC

philsov wrote:4) Top very much matters. I rarely see a stalemate up there, though. Usually one of them eventually dies to getting outplayed or ganked, and whichever side wins top lane seems to win the game, moreso than mid or bot for whatever reason.

IMO, in anything that isn't anything above Gold (i.e "average game"), that's because there's more comeback potential in mid/bot than there is in top, precisely because of that reputation that top doesn't matter. It takes one gank early on for the snowball to start happening, and thanks to top champs tending to have a good disengage, 2v1 potential or both (I'm looking at you, Riven...) it can become very difficult to come back from without losing tower, which puts a lot of junglers off. It's that "lane's already lost" attitude that will lose twenty dollars and my self respect thanks to the knock-on of a then-roaming top.

Ixtellor wrote:2) Orianna... I am looking for a new mid because I am bored of Kassadin and since the Downgrade to Ryze's range, I suck with him now. Its also gotten to the point I only win with Kassadin or I can't carry with other AP champs. So should I get Orianna and can you carry with her? (I have never played her, I just know she throws that ball)

Orianna is a bit of a weird one. The ball mechanic is fun, but a little hard to keep track of. Last time I played her, I felt she was really weak; but that's probably because I'm not using her right.
If you wan't to pick up a different kind of mid, I'd suggest Ziggs/Xerath for that "aaaand from DOWNTOWN!" feeling you get when playing folk with super long range. Ziggs is way more fun that Xerath though. The aim here is to get a chalice early and start carpet bombing the place from afar. If they can't reach you, they can't nuke you.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 am UTC

1) Ahri is a pretty common mid too, but really peoples champion selection has narrowed down to those 90% of the time, sometimes ori or gragas.

2) Ori is a strong pick at the moment. Easy to farm with, safe in lane, safe to first pick, high utility, difficult to counter. However, she's hard to master given the inconsistency and skillshot nature of abilities.

3 & 4) I main top lane at the moment for our 5v5 team. Top lane is very snowbally, one of the more mechanically intensive roles, and very much about knowing your matchup well (More so than any other role). There's several reasons for this, primarily the fact that most are melee range so you're practically almost always in nearly engaging range and further away from tower in case of ganks. Ganking top is far easier than other lanes since you don't have the gold to ward every entrance and purple side has a massive disadvantage in ganks through the jungle if mid doesn't ward top side of river.
Top can become a farm lane, but people tend not to opt-in to doing that. If you pick a farmer, they'll pick a harasser/engager to deny you.

As for champions in addition to the ones you listed, Rumble, Shen, Rene are must-haves for top laners imo. Really there's so many top laners that can win, it's almost not worth listing. The most important thing is knowing the particular matchups. A good top laner will know when they can all-in you and win, if you don't know exactly what the outcome will be in case of an all-in, you'll mostly fail.

Although, carrying in lower ratings isn't really about doing your part for your team; you need more than that. You have to BE the team, it's your job to do what's needed to win. Top laners can fulfil this by dominating top as a hyper carry, split pushing hard enough to inhib, or taking teleport to telegank where you can get kills. A big thing overlooked is drawing enough jungler pressure to top while not requiring any help from your jungler. If you can deliberately get their jungler to try camp your lane while maintaining vision of them and still getting farm, it allows your other positions to have an easy time, much higher chance of easy dragon and it frees up your jungler to make plays elsewhere.

Really, which would be best is dependant on skill with those champs. Nasus is pretty easy to carry with in silver, they don't know how to deal with him and people don't know how to end games so they last a lot longer. With enough mechanical skill, Riven can win practically every top lane matchup at almost any rating. Jax is really strong at the moment, high carry potential. Kayle can be played top and crushes most laners(Even in plat, you can almost see the time they spend typing for help to the jungler). Lee is still one of the strongest early game champs, depends a lot on skill with him. Rene is all round a good pick, but a safe option, so he's not as likely to get fed, but is still useful even if he does a bit badly.

Edit: Yesterday was a bad day for lol. We played a tourney game and lost, were still either going to get 3rd or 4th place which will be played live on stage, which is pretty cool. Then I had a ranked game after which I actually won, but I almost single handedly threw it when we had such an amazing team. I was only playing support, yet I managed to almost throw it despite top, mid and jungle winning hard. I really shouldn't play ranked when I'm tired and worn out.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:35 pm UTC

I played on a tourney last night, and our team did better than expected despite being so new and this being our first showing; we were apparently the closest match in quarterfinals, and the team that defeated us went on to take 2nd place. Depending on what we can accomplish this week we might even take 4th next Saturday, who knows. :D
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

i've been duo'ing with a friend in Bronze I, who got placed there from a bad string of placement matches. He plays primarily Top Lane, is mechanically better than me, but probably lacks the late game fight calls I'm strong at. Either way, he should probably be in Gold, but at least high Silver. Duo'ing with him feels like cheating to gain LP. I remember Guardsman Bob saying once "Give your opponent the benefit of the doubt. They aren't as stupid as you would like to think they are, so if they're doing something you deem stupid, they probably know something you don't." This entirely goes out the window in Silver. It's so very easy to punish laners as a jungler. It's also easy to see which of your laners is about to do something stupid, and be there to turn it around, or at least make something positive of their dumb mistake.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:02 pm UTC

I'm on a massive losing streak. Been demoted 2 times, seen my MMR plummet, about to be demoted again.

I don't have the skill to carry bad teams or I am on the wrong champ at the wrong time.

I have had some really great games personally as Mundo and Malphite and YI, but its not enough to overcome a -30 K:D.

I know and recognize my own mistakes. Mostly bad engages and getting caught and not warding enough.
Also I am totally frustrated with champ selection.
I either pick a tank because my team is squishy then can't carry. Or I pick a carry, then my team has no tank and i just make the situation worse. Or I pick a champ like Jax or Xin then I build wrong. I build tanky, then can't carry. OR I build damage then can't tank.

Summary:
In reality I am a silver 3ish player. I feel like my Kassadin is STRONG but he lacks the ability to 1 man carry a team like a STRONG vayne.

Also, I really need to cut down on my mistakes in terms of engaging and recognize if my team is gonig to in position or have the skill to follow up an initiation.

What I see most often that really loses the games for my teams, is our carries going after tanks. SOOO frustrating.

Rant over. BRUTAL steak.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:49 pm UTC

Bit of a brag, was support nunu for old times sake in a normal game, mid game comes and I'm up in mid helping two others. We catch their kass in our blue pit, and he's silenced for a second from someone, but hugging the pit walls. I flash over the wall and channel my ult, and he ults over the wall into the bush, right into my ult as it finishes. All chat- "Wow, didn't expect the nunu ult".

Knowing what to expect from champs really pays off :P

In other news, apparently I belong in bronze because wow, can't get a positive win ratio :( I'm 16wins 21 losses. I tend to call 'fill' so end up with support a lot, which, while heavily influencing the game with wards and cc, can't really carry a team that insists on pushing too deep, chasing too long, and engaging away from turrets, while behind and outnumbered.

I've taken to calling jungle or top, to at least have a better influence on the game, even though I don't really like forcing roles.

re; carries targeting tanks, sometimes there's only one target in range, a tank, and to reach other targets puts you too far into their team, so you hit the tank. Thats fine, as long as you aren't blowing long cd's on him, or don't switch to better targets as they appear. Sometimes enough burst can kill a tank, opening up their line for full on chase mode. In fact, I think adc's might be better off itemizing armor pen just for that, since they more often have a tank/bruiser in their sights than a squishy. Adc kills tank, mages/assasins/tanks go for other squishies with their range, poke, and cc.

I wonder if that might make a good team comp too, pick champs that are extremely good at killing high health/def targets, and get rid of those annoying front line cc machines that screw up a team. Nothing better than having the target you're good at killing put themselves in your range without having to chase.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:44 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:In other news, apparently I belong in bronze because wow, can't get a positive win ratio :( I'm 16wins 21 losses. I tend to call 'fill' so end up with support a lot, which, while heavily influencing the game with wards and cc, can't really carry a team that insists on pushing too deep, chasing too long, and engaging away from turrets, while behind and outnumbered.

I've taken to calling jungle or top, to at least have a better influence on the game, even though I don't really like forcing roles..

Been there. I don't really know what changed but I am never forced to support anymore. Bascially I call my roll ASAP and generally if im 4th or 5th pick they let me Jungle. HArder to get mid or ADC as last pick.

Or just play an AP mage if your forced to support. Zyra or Fiddle work out well. Also, you might consider Volibear if you like a tanky non support support.

re; carries targeting tanks, sometimes there's only one target in range, a tank, and to reach other targets puts you too far into their team, so you hit the tank. Thats fine, as long as you aren't blowing long cd's on him, or don't switch to better targets as they appear. Sometimes enough burst can kill a tank, opening up their line for full on chase mode. In fact, I think adc's might be better off itemizing armor pen just for that, since they more often have a tank/bruiser in their sights than a squishy. Adc kills tank, mages/assasins/tanks go for other squishies with their range, poke, and cc.

I understand poking the tank to stay at range. I'm talking about THE BIG fight starts and my carries are trying to finish off a 1/2 health Shen or tank, while the enemy carries are killing my carries. Or their team focuses our ADC while my team, except me, focuses their tanks. Then they peel me off for a 2v1 and I die, with the enemy ADC at 20% health... who then proceeds to win the game for them since my whole team is dead.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 pm UTC

Diving onto the enemy carries isn't always the right answer. There are times where the right move is to murder the bruiser/assassin that hops on your carries while essentially zoning out or tanking the enemy. If your carry can't fend for himself, you should probably help him.

Also, Kassadin can definitely carry games. I've lost many a game to a Kassadin that carried. I ban him out now, not because I think he's OP, but because I think my teammates are morons that won't respect his roaming potential and let him snowball out of control.

Got my promotion to Gold IV now though. New favorite tactic: Don't ban Blitz, hope enemy picks him "because he's OP". I'm 3 for 3 on this working in my favor, getting to mid game, and have a Blitz that is absolutely useless on the enemy team.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:49 pm UTC

Ugh. Spent basically all day playing yesterday just to go from 6lp to 5lp. My dreams of diamond this season are crumbling. The reduced lp gains/losses in p1 mean I have to win a ton more games to get through it, and I just don't think I have enough time for that. Really needed a bunch of wins yesterday to even have a chance. Disappointing with how quick I ripped through to P1 I thought I'd definitely at least get close to D5 by end of season. Oh well, there's always next season.

Side note, I got to have a few fun games with Swain. He really does work great in this meta to counter some of the counters to the standard counters. Yeah, I said it. He really seems to destroy Ahris at my level, and he's just a solid all around mage. He's extra hard to burst down and he's got godlike sustain. He's not particularly quick and has no escape, but he's got enough CC to get him out of most messes (especially if he pops bird and is gaining life the whole time).

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:11 pm UTC

I really like Swain as a champ and am sad we don't see him more. Had a friend play him as a support once as well to great effect. AoE snare and a slow were put to great use. I also don't like Ahri. At least the recent resurgeance of her seems to be "The pros play her, she's clearly strong". I've yet to see an Ahri carry a game. They also get very angry when you gank them frequently (mid is my favorite lane to gank).

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:44 pm UTC

This game seriously needs more hardcore tribunals. People should not be allowed to play ranked if they are toxic scum.

I tried playing some other variations, but without the consequences I can't enjoy anything but ranked anymore. I just wish people who say in chat "I'm feeding now" would actually suffer consequences. That should be a perm ban from ranked play.

I can handle losing because of poor play, but losing because of a team member purposely throwing the game is soo infuriating... and old. Its far to common in ranked play at silver level.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:54 pm UTC

Agree completely. Had a recent ranked game where the other team's mid swain, for whatever reason, decided to feed us. It not only ticked off their team, it sort of ruined the fun of our win as well. He made some comment after that he had 'taught his team a lesson in not yelling at mid' or something, but needless to say everyone reported him.

Another, non-ranked game I was support soraka, and the other team loads in with two players with smite, and the other three start out in mid lane. We had had a bit of confusion in champ select too, so I was bot supporting a kat while akali went mid. I had just started for bot after warding our red (because of the two junglers) and was able to help the early 3v1 on our akali, while their lee sin comes up through our blue with his red buff and tries to gank our jungler. It was total confusion, and we were kinda scared, but pulled off some early kills, like 6-2 before most people hit level 2. Then their jungle jax and lee sin both afk at fountain the rest of the game.

It was fun doing derpy things with soraka, knowing we'd win anyway, but kind of ruined the game for everyone. (btw, hurricane with soraka does not throw three bananas, i was extremely disappointed... get on this riot)

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:05 pm UTC

The report system errs on the side of false negatives. You have to be Sir Shitty Shittington III, High Lord of all Shits to be sent to the tribunal, but the overwhelming majority of of tribunal cases are punished.

Most banned players just make new accounts. That problem seems nigh unsolvable.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:13 pm UTC

Kag wrote:The report system errs on the side of false negatives. You have to be Sir Shitty Shittington III, High Lord of all Shits to be sent to the tribunal, but the overwhelming majority of of tribunal cases are punished.

Most banned players just make new accounts. That problem seems nigh unsolvable.

I read somewhere that only 2% of the garbage gets sent to tribunal.

In reality the things I see people get temporary bans for on tribunal that routinely happen all the time, myself included. I have cussed out lots of people in the game, but I am one of those reactive toxic players. I try very hard to be positive for a long time until people refuse to help the team then I go off on them. (Without consequences)

I am ok if banned people make new accounts. They have to relevel up to 30 and they lose all the stuff they bought. skins, champs, runes etc.

I suppose I am advocating far harsher penelties for only ranked play. Much harsher.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:06 pm UTC

Yeah, had my first uber-asshat in ranked in a long time yesterday. Bitched about my bans, bitched about team comp, then proceeded to lock in jungle when I already had it. I reluctantly went top, rather than dealing with him and then when we got in game he started bitching about me going top (which was fortunate he did it immediately. It reminded me to put him on ignore). I would have dodged if I hadn't been sitting at 0 LP on a losing streak in Gold IV, with my duo in his promotion series. Didn't matter in the end. He lost his promotion, though I didn't lose anything. I'm surprised I didn't get booted back to Gold IV, seeing as I'm on a 3 game loss streak now (immediately after getting promoted).

On a different note, what are people's preferred way to deal with split pushers? When your team is ... not super ahead, but not turtling at your own tower. Often, we'll be grouped up in lane or near an enemy tower waiting for something to happen, and we'll see a person approach a tower with a wave in another lane. To me, this triggers an immediate fight response. We have a 4v5 advantage, we need to force it ASAP. Often times, I will dive in immediately with the next minion wave, only to notice 1-2 people have backed off and are heading to stop the split pusher. Making it an even/disadvantaged fight. They wander up there, the split has already taken/damaged the tower and backed off. Nothing came of it. I feel like walking from one lane to another in hopes of catching a single person is a bad strat. Or is this not the case?

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

It is a bad idea to try to counter the split push like that, and getting your team to split is the point, because you probably wont successfully defend either lane. You win that by either winning the 4v5 and pushing back hard or, counter splitting, or getting an objective like baron in trade for an outer turret and then going on to win the game right then and there.

Also note, you cant be demoted for some safety timespan after attaining a new division. I am unsure how long this safety margin lasts.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:18 pm UTC

Depends how far ahead the other team is.
If you aren't down that much, I am all for a 2v1 quick gank to save the tower, but shouldn't chase. That makes other lane a 3v4 but you should be able to tower hug long enough to allow the other to get back or save that inhib/tower.

Generally whenever I see that scenario the split pushing team is up a lot, and it doesn't really matter what you decide because the 4 can wreck the 5 even at the tower.
But I have had many successful games just spam killing a split pushing tryn.

I personally love the split push strat, you need to make sure your team understands how to play it and doesn't get wrecked in 5v4's and lose twenty dollars and my self respect.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 pm UTC

Drumheller769 wrote:Also note, you cant be demoted for some safety timespan after attaining a new division. I am unsure how long this safety margin lasts.
That much I knew, but I really wasnt expecting a 4 game safety net. It's not like it much matters at this point though. I'm not getting Plat before season's end. At least in solo. There's a chance for 3's, though slim. Wouldn't matter that much though.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:56 pm UTC

Does anyone use sites such as lolcounter for counterpick suggestions? I'm usually jungle or support, but occasionally get top or adc if the other roles get called first. I can top, but don't main it so sometimes I get matched against champs I'm not sure of, and the suggestions are nice. Of course, getting an 'optimum' counterpick doesn't automatically mean a won lane, but it helps.

For example, I picked garen vs a riven, which according to different counter lists I've seen is a decent counter, but she leveled shield first and caught virtually every q, then harassed back more than I gave. I think what I did wrong was level q instead of spin first. I gave up a couple kills, but caught back up mid game with garen's ult.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:52 pm UTC

I generally use those sites when I get wrecked.

But your example is good timing.
I recently first picked Garen (Played him 5 of last 10 games) and enemy picked Riven.
I checked counter saw that I was favored.
Then the Riven wrecked me.
1) They were clearly the best person on their team and not some scrub.
2) They bought Fort pot as starting item and on first trip back.

I think my problem is that I have never played Riven so don't understand the mechanics of her stun, damage, leap.

I never used my E until after she initiated and the second she would charge me I would pop q and try to silence punish her.

What happened to me every time is she would inititate do a lot of damage, stun, then run away before my E went off. I am guessing you need to pop E as soon as she initiates.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:39 pm UTC

I don't own her but have played her during free weeks. She gets a short dash that adds a shield (with ad ratios), an aoe damaging very short stun (0.5 seconds?) and her Q, which is a three part skill, two small hops that do damage, and the last is a bigger jump that does a mini-knockup on hit. She can use other skills while Q is still active, eg, q, q, dash, q, and then stun. Each of her skill casts adds some bonus damage to her next auto, maxing at about 3? bonus charges stored. Ult is even more bonus damage for the duration, with the active a missing-health-bonus-damage execute, similar to garen's but with range.

I've seen rivens shut down, and more or less useless, but it seems that more often she's just scary. The one I faced used her shield to eat harass with very good timing, then the stun to get out of spin range quickly.

Another hard champ to counter is jax, seems like there are many arguements about who can face him easily, and the short answer seems to be 'if it's a good jax, just kiss your lane goodbye', except for maybe malphite.

For those who jungle, who's your best ganker pre-6? I know burning a flash sort of counts as a successful gank, but to really carry games I need to feed my lanes more kills, and my normal junglers don't seem to always pull that off. (i've jungled fiddle, mumu, nasus, nunu, udyr, vi, lee sin, elise fairly often.)

I guess I'm looking for a gap closer to get from the bush, and then at least two cc's to keep them from the tower while my laner does damage... Do I just need to get good at shaco, or buy maokai?

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:50 pm UTC

J4 is solid ganker, or anyone else with a stun.... udr. I played Mundo jungle a few times recently he works well with the slow q.

Drumheller769

Postby Drumheller769 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 am UTC

If your laner has any kind of DPS, Maokai is king of ganks. Almost guaranteed to land your CC and then the small knock up slow means they have to burn flash if they arent already under turret.
The Great Hippo wrote:Arguing with the internet is a lot like arguing with a bullet. The internet's chief exports are cute kittens, porn, and Reasons Why You Are Completely Fucking Wrong.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:32 pm UTC

j4 has the longest range gapclose in the game

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:41 pm UTC

That's not true? Unless you're including his ult plus e - q combo. In which case I still don't think it'd be true. Nocturne's ult for sure. Zac's Slingshot at max rank. Lee Sin can use 2 abilities to cover a ton of ground (though you need targets).

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:04 pm UTC

I forgot about zac, but wouldnt really count nocture

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:49 pm UTC

OK --- anyone else playing ranked finding a ridulous number of duo's with Insane skill levels?

Had a Jinx/Sona duo yesterday on enemy team that went 11-0 within 10 mins.
After the game in chat Sona said he was Platinum and trying to his friend into gold.

Saw an Ez yesterday with only 4 games under his belt DEATHOWN my team and finish with no deaths and a ton of kills. (Part of a duo)

I think high level players are smufing like mad to get friends into Gold for the rewards.

Sucks for me because I had two great starts in a row until I got to meet extremely fed bottom duos.
2-0 Jax Top with lots of farm by 10 min mark versus a Malphite. = loss to mega Jinx
2-0-2 Jungle Yi with lots of farm = Loss to insane Ez
(I blame myself partially for this because I didn't pick a tankier Jungle, I was babysitting our top Nasus who was getting rocked v Riven and I figured only he could carry us at that point ---- it almost worked out because we aced them 3 times and their Riven almost quit due to toxic behavior-- but alas)

Return to “Gaming”