League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

ProZac

Re: League of Legends

Postby ProZac » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:55 pm UTC

At this time, that is most certainly a thing. I've been duoing with a friend in Bronze I (not that he needs gold, he's on my 3's team, just to get him to Silver) and while I'm in gold IV, we regularly get matched against low Silvers. I also see plat/gold with Silver duo's all the time against us.

Even in 3's, we'll come across many teams that are 1-2 plat/diamond, and then a silver or bronze. Hell, I was trying to help boost a friend up to gold in 3's the same way (it doesn't look like it's going to happen...)

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:37 pm UTC

Nocturne's ult is not always available, is the thing.

Speaking of which, if you play Nocturne bot in Dominion you can occasionally make 4v4s into 5v4s in the top lane, which makes him pretty scary.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:25 pm UTC

I've been duoing on my smurf with my bronze friend (He's really somewhere in silver, but not played enough rankeds) and my silver (now gold 5) friend who's really probably plat 5 (again not enough ranked). My gold 5 friend has an obscenely high mmr because together we naturally win a lot (he's got 41win 22 loss, but gold 5 being matched with only plats in some games, up to plat 2).
Funnily enough, my smurf is about to hit platinum (gold 1 24lp) almost entirely from duoing with low rated friends. I was intending to see how few games it took to get gold, but gold isn't too hard to win in.
I've come across quite a lot of other smurfs, which gets rather hilarious when I lane against them. Saw a diamond 1 ahri smurf (Before it started you could tell she was diamond from average stats, but play style made it obvious and she messaged me after about it) in low gold; I struggled, but out roamed her (pretty important since she wasn't going to getting fed off me) while getting similar farm.

Really I find it to be a bad idea to have 2 higher rated people in the same lane at lower ratings. It's not really about crushing 1 lane, it's more about other lanes not getting fed so much. If I'm mid and my friend is top, there's 2 lanes which are very most likely not going to be fed.
Well... unless you naturally have a strong synergy on bot. A gold 3 friend of mine (probably should be plat 1) and I absolutely dominate bot when we go together (We consistently beat diamonds duos) so I'd probably go with him if I get around to boosting him too.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:39 pm UTC

So as an unranked player, how hard do you think it would be for me to get to Gold (for Victorious Elise, as I'm not interested in anything else)?
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:03 pm UTC

really depends on how good you are :p

I hopped into ranked for the first time last night. So far the fights have been about the same as normal draft mode in terms of ability spread. There's a lot more etiquette towards pick order, I'll give it that much. I'm currently 1-2.

First fight(I was top kayle vs nasus; couldn't get a kill in but decent poke and denial of farm -- I died to a gank once via spinning charge of taunt Rammus), all lanes were either winning or stalemated but ahead on CS. But then teamfights happened; two aces and a backdooring Nasus (while we refused to engage in the 5v4...) later, gg. Second fight was a glimpse into elo hell with a horrible top, horrible jungler, and the most passive Cait I've ever tried to support (as Janna). Third fight was a win (as Janna again), and pretty much evenly matched like the first one, except we did better teamfighting and leveraged our lane advantage. It almost feels like I'm being slingshot around until I can settle into some relative competition.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:30 am UTC

I ran into one yesterday, said he was carrying a friend to gold, but it was someone else on their team who carried them, not so much the duo. (Though he didn't feed either).

However, unless there's something wrong with matchmaking the law of averages says you'll get those duos on your team eventually too, you just tend to notice more when it's you getting stomped.

So, free week jinx, story time. I'm in normal yolo queue, guy locks in olaf last, comes bot with me (on jinx), then afks at level 2. I"m stuck vs another jinx+janna. I get two kills with my junglers help, do pretty well, buy some wards because no support, drop one on our blue bush. Their jungle poppy comes by later to steal the blue, at less than 300 health, so I wait, and land the ult just after she smites the blue, and her passive kicks in. So frustrating, would have been a kill and free blue on any other champ in the game. (well, barring anivia/zac/aatrox passives)

Her voicework is funny though, love the comments/jokes. She mentions a sister, is this a hint for a future champ?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:33 am UTC

(Her sister is Vi)

Kag

Postby Kag » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:19 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:So frustrating, would have been a kill and free blue on any other champ in the game. (well, barring anivia/zac/aatrox passives)

Yeah, but that person had to play Poppy, who is literally a worthless champion, by design.

Weeks wrote:(Her sister is Vi)

But Vi clearly doesn't know Jinx?
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:25 am UTC

She painted it around in some of her graffiti. I think Vi just doesn't realize. (Separated at birth or something?)

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:48 pm UTC

Getting into ranked, your first few matches are going to be a clusterfuck as well. You'll be against mostly other people playing ranked for the first time, so bronze's and Diamonds in the same game.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:14 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:However, unless there's something wrong with matchmaking the law of averages says you'll get those duos on your team eventually too, you just tend to notice more when it's you getting stomped.

I had one game where a teamate said they were smurfing.

Calling all math people.
If a smurf/boosting duo requires 2/5 spots.
And I occupy 1 slot, that only leave 2/4 slots.....

Mathmatically because I lower the slots available... does that make it less likely I get a duo on my team? My brain isn't working and I can't do the math. It seems like I should have the same probability... but I my team does have 1 less slot available for a duo... I would like to see the math.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:21 pm UTC

So uh, apparently season 4 is completely reworking wards:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends ... eseason_4/
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:So uh, apparently season 4 is completely reworking wards:

http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflegends ... eseason_4/

Conceptually I'm all for it, but the resulting vision wars are going to be heinous. infinite duration but killable wards, trinkets that can check bushes for stealth wards, and max 3 active wards at a given time? Eesh. Time to relearn jungle routes for ganking that don't involve the commonly warded areas and/or mess with some intense Nash Equilibrium ward placement.

I'm stoked for the jungle changes -- Blood Razor now gets stacking damage output based on how many camps you've cleared. Hee.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:53 am UTC

Really I think it depends how much experience you've had in normals to a degree.
Ranked is different to normals in that: People tend to try work as a team more; They tend to not screw around; People will communicate more (and talk less as ratings go higher above gold 5), for better or for worse.
As ProZac says, first few games are a roll of the dice. You get very high and low rated players in the same games, meaning you'll see scores like 1/8, 1/6, 21/2, 2/10, and much less balanced scores. You'll also have a much higher likelihood of trolls, disconnects, afkers, or someone ruining a game.
If you get lucky (and/or already know how to carry a game) you'll get placed somewhere probably in silver. Silver 1 is probably the most toxic division in my opinion and going from silver 1 to gold is harder than it should be when playing solo. Duoing with a good player who's still not too high is by far the best option to increase chances of winning.

The changes to warding definitely needed to happen. I was watching a challenger game the other day and half the game was spent just warding and going to clear wards, it was just stupid to watch. Warding battles only get worse. Supports are now mostly just sightstone, gold item or 2, boots, oracles/pinks... so linear. If other support buys other items, you lose vision control, then even more than what other item would give.

Kag wrote:Yeah, but that person had to play Poppy, who is literally a worthless champion, by design.
Zekent (Challenger/multiple diamond 1 accounts) got an account diamond 1 playing only poppy in season 2. Granted you need to be one of the best in game to do that. It similarly can be done with any champ, takes a long time tho. e.g. Annie bot recently hit challenger with Annie only; Nikkone has been challenger for a long time during season 3 with fiddle only. Really any champ can do it, but it's just a lot harder with some than others. The system basically allows you to grind rating through winning largely via every other than champion setup (i.e. playing tactically correctly regardless of champion).

It's really annoying how literally only diamond 4+ rating has a firm grasp of split pushing, countering it, and working with it to any relatively consistently degree. The problem is that it requires team coordination, composition, and timing... which just so rarely happens. It's a non-trivial problem, but quick decisions give more options that could easily be more favourable. Fnatic really shine at quick thinking.
Last edited by elminster on Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:04 am UTC

Oh yeah, you can beat people with Poppy. Her win rate isn't exactly 0%, but she is actually designed to be totally awful.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:08 am UTC

Poppy's pretty fun and good in Dominion and ARAM

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:00 am UTC

elminster wrote:It's really annoying how literally only diamond 4+ rating has a firm grasp of split pushing, countering it, and working with it to any relatively consistently degree.

Well, the flip side is that people who consistently have those (and other similar) skills will eventually gravitate towards that kind of ranking.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:44 am UTC

Aaeriele wrote:
elminster wrote:It's really annoying how literally only diamond 4+ rating has a firm grasp of split pushing, countering it, and working with it to any relatively consistently degree.
Well, the flip side is that people who consistently have those (and other similar) skills will eventually gravitate towards that kind of ranking.
True, but the concepts behind it really aren't that complicated.
One of the key aspects people seem to fail at is basically: If you have a split pusher, don't get caught. If someone is splitpushing against you, force a different objective harder or engage hard.

God I hate silver 1... Im not even in it at the moment, but duoing average with my silver 5 friend is silver 1. It's got so many people who just make me hate the game.
All the "Oh me yarm vayne open" or "gg it's over they got first blood" or "it's over, this mid laner is too terrible" or near even scores with a 800 stack nasus with 336 armor vs a pure ad team... best keep trying to forfeit because all the other lanes are doing poorly, despite having super fed hypercarry (Seems nasus still can't win 1v5 at around 1000 stacks if your team is really that bad)

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:07 am UTC

Isn't it better if you have a duo partner though? At least the other people can't force a forfeit.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:20 pm UTC

elminster wrote:True, but the concepts behind it really aren't that complicated.
One of the key aspects people seem to fail at is basically: If you have a split pusher, don't get caught. If someone is splitpushing against you, force a different objective harder or engage hard.

Skill often tends to be doing something that is simple to describe, but doing it well.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:11 pm UTC

Aaeriele wrote:Skill often tends to be doing something that is simple to describe, but doing it well.
True, I think once you seen the same thing over and over and notice the pattern in it, it just becomes obvious when you see it again. Learning from experience I guess.

So, we won our match for 3rd place in our live tourney, it was pretty much a stomp in 2 games. They had seating for just over 600, larger than last time. We won some RP and Razor gear, but cash prizes were only for first and second. Lucky for me, a sub stepped in place of their diamond 1 top laner.

Weeks wrote:Isn't it better if you have a duo partner though? At least the other people can't force a forfeit.
Yeah, but my duo was legitimately silver. So, he was kind of does mediocre anyway. I dunno, nasus is only weak because slow scaling and having to play super passively... which means mid lane takes the jungler pressure. One of the reasons I like Kayle/Singed is that you can draw jungler pressure constantly and allow you mid lane to have a easy time, while still being able to farm top.
In one case I got camped super hard as kayle top (Darius/Aatrox were pretty much playin a 2v1 lane), but essentially that allowed mid and bot to get an advantage where kayle ult just nullified darius/aatrox engages onto our fed adc, so we won every team fight. Even a camped Kayle can block >3000 dmg.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:25 pm UTC

Oh, grats on third!

Also, Curse is making another Dominion Showdown tourney. If it's at all like the last one, it'll be pretty awesome.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm UTC

So ever since hitting Silver 2 I have been on a mega rollercoaster.
6 demotions and 5 promotions in the last 10 weeks.

I am hoping my season 4 placement matches go well and the skill levels go back to normal where I actually have all silvers in my games instead of smurfs.

Garen v Aatrox --- I got totally dominated by Aatrox in top lane. I didn't feed him but he got my tower and farmed like a crazy man. Advice?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:34 am UTC

This is Sivir's new splash art on the PBE.
Sivir_Splash_0.jpg

I can't believe someone thought this looked good.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:57 am UTC

It seems to have the requisite ass and sideboob. I don't see the problem.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 am UTC

It did bring about something amusing though

from here

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:14 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:This is Sivir's new splash art on the PBE.
Sivir_Splash_0.jpg

I can't believe someone thought this looked good.

Did they change her lore to be a bird thing? I thought she was human

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:10 pm UTC

Sivir's boomerang is now larger than her. Also, what is she supposed to even be doing? Is that some sort of running/throwing/ballet hybrid action? Maybe it's me, but isn't also like extremely dark, with no real detail anywhere but the sand?

Trawlz

Postby Trawlz » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:59 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:
Biliboy wrote:However, unless there's something wrong with matchmaking the law of averages says you'll get those duos on your team eventually too, you just tend to notice more when it's you getting stomped.

I had one game where a teamate said they were smurfing.

Calling all math people.
If a smurf/boosting duo requires 2/5 spots.
And I occupy 1 slot, that only leave 2/4 slots.....

Mathmatically because I lower the slots available... does that make it less likely I get a duo on my team? My brain isn't working and I can't do the math. It seems like I should have the same probability... but I my team does have 1 less slot available for a duo... I would like to see the math.

I am fairly sure that each team can only have 1 pre-made in. That means the only way you can decrease your chance of being carried by a pre-made is to go in pre-made yourself. I am also fairly sure both teams get a duo when duos are in the games.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:01 am UTC

Well the stats are in... it seems that sivir is winning an obscene amount of games. Currently highest win rate in solo queue for everything but challenger and bronze (Still 8th highest).
She's difficult to shut down, yet the easy to hit aoe damages can demolish an entire team at once in the right cases.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm UTC

Can't wait for the new season to start. The games are beyond toxic now.
I had 3 games in a row where people typed in chat

"I am going to feed and cause us to lose this game I don't care report me if you want"
Multiple times in the same game.

I was able to talk one suicideal Riven into changing his mind. (He attacked mid tower 6 times in a row with no creeps around) but wasn't so lucky the other 2 as I helpless watched people feed free kills to our enemies.

philsov

Postby philsov » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:34 pm UTC

If you get lucky (and/or already know how to carry a game) you'll get placed somewhere probably in silver.

I went 4-6 and got placed into Bronze 1, where one of the losses was utter bull (ADC d/c'd midgame, wins in all lanes prior). I was support (Janna) for half of them; Zyra support seems to take a dump on Janna. I need to diversify a bit. Time to get better with fiddle supp :D

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Can't wait for the new season to start. The games are beyond toxic now.
I had 3 games in a row where people typed in chat

"I am going to feed and cause us to lose this game I don't care report me if you want"
Multiple times in the same game.
Yeah I've been hearing a lot of reports of this at all ratings. I just played 4 rankeds today (I might have left my ranked games too long, but still winning 3/4 of them), luckily no toxic players. However the other day while on my smurf we played with a guy who got the position he wanted, no one said anything and he just trolled for no reason. Literally got tele revive and walked straight into them deliberately and just stacked zeals. I hope he gets banned, since most obvious trolling ever.
I got forced into support that game and managed to get our vayne to 10/0, but their fed mid lane was too much to win 6v4 (with 1 helping them). Such a shame since a 10/0 vayne who's got 40more cs than their adc is basically game over if the mid lane wasn't feeding.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:49 pm UTC

I remember when I used to play this game for fun. Those were good times.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:14 am UTC

I play for moments like just now. My Miss Fortune says just before the enemy team surrenders, after a clutch ult save, "Lulu, I want to have your babies".

In other news, I was well on my way to silver with buddy who plays a killer jungle eve (75%ish win rate), and he hasn't logged in in a few days. I tried to replicate his success with eve, and though I've gotten a few good early game ganks or counterjungle kills, I can't seem to keep up in levels and constantly gank lanes at the same time, and fall off hard. Eve is one of the easier jungles to pull off the red start> go to their red and get first blood and their red/blue.

I do like the mind game that is specific to the jungle role, though. Trying to figure out where they'll be, where they'll gank, what camps you can steal, what lanes to gank, what lanes you can pretend to leave then immediately regank. It seems more my speed than sitting in a lane tunneling last hits with the occasional trade.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:33 am UTC

Probably my favourite moment I've ever had playing the game was when I was playing Janna and used a perfectly timed shield into full-channel ult to save someone who was on about 10 life and being poisoned to death, while pushing away a champion that was about to finish him, then preventing someone from coming in from the side during our retreat with a tornado. It felt awesome, and I'd already had a few good plays in that game, so basically everyone on my team was saying things like 'our Janna is godlike' for the rest of the game. :D

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:09 am UTC

Going 14/2 on Leona makes it worth it. Sometimes.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:51 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:I remember when I used to play this game for fun. Those were good times.

Ha, this comment actually makes me feel less shame about being a casual who mostly just plays Dominion and ARAM. There is something to be said for having a more relaxed experience.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

philsov

Postby philsov » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:25 pm UTC

Going "pooters" Zil in Dom is a joy an experience.

Almost no damage, but permahaste for harassment and backdoors all day. It's even better now that Blackfire Torch offers 10% MS.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:57 pm UTC

I play only Dominion and ARAM, but even those are already getting stressful. Trying to promote/participate in competitive Dominion feels like a losing battle, and randomly winning/losing in ARAM doesn't do it for me anymore.

POOTERSS is awesome though, and the actual guy is pretty cool about it too

Return to “Gaming”