League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Intrigued

Re: League of Legends

Postby Intrigued » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:30 pm UTC

Yeah, arams are a fun diversion, but so many times it just turns into a 20 minute long coin flip that it turns out you pretty much had no influence over. I love the competitive games, the really close ones where everyone plays well and it just comes down to a few key moves, those are a lot of fun for me, so I definitely prefer the ranked play (once you get to a certain level). I gave up on getting to diamond a few weeks back, so I haven't been playing it a ton recently. In the games I've played I haven't seen that degradation. Sounds like it sucks. Sorry guys. The season will be over soon enough anyway.

setzer777
Good questions sometimes get stupid answers

Postby setzer777 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

Yeah, I do Dominion when I want a semi-serious match, and ARAM when I'm just messing around. I understand the appeal of those competitive SR games, but it's not worth it IMO to spend hours in games with leavers, feeders, or afk-ers for every one hour of good competitive fun. Especially because the other team having one of those ruins the competitive thrill too.
Meaux_Pas wrote:We're here to go above and beyond.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:53 pm UTC

Right. I was recently playing on a high silver account and noticed a much larger incidence of those types of problems. I do think they're everywhere, but at p1 I'm getting a LOT more of those good games, and a next to none of the 2 afkers by 10 minutes or the guy who purposely feeds. You still see a random leaver here and there, but it's honestly pretty decided by the time that happens, and those games are few and far between. For me, it's definitely been like breaking into a whole different game to get to play with a higher skilled community. If I didn't make it there I may very well have quit LoL a while ago, abandoning it as hopeless..

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:06 am UTC

Yeah I concur. In high plat and above there's so few people ruining games compared to silver/gold.
From my experience:
In low silver there's probably a toxic person every 2 games. In silver 1, there's probably 1 toxic person on average per game. In gold 1, maybe every 4 games. In plat 1, every 30(?) games. I only play in games averaging up to diamond 2 (Except high diamond premades) and diamond 1 may as well be a league on it's own, but I can't remember the last time I saw a toxic player like in silver in diamond only games.
I'm currently at plat 1 83lp (MMR is about diamond 3/4 atm), I've put off doing the last few games for quite a while but I'm going to power through them tomorrow (Winning ~8lp/game atm). Honestly the difference between gold 3 and diamond 5 is surprisingly small compared to what people think. The skill difference from diamond 2 to challenger is probably just as much as the previous 2 leagues together.

Playing on my smurf (now almost plat 4) and going back through the ratings again reminds me of how bad it really is for new players. It's kinda sad when I come across genuinely nice people who are actually skilled, but don't know how to gain rating.

The new seasons masteries offence tree definitely favours hybrids. I'm making a prediction now that Kayle will be nerfed due to 30 offence giving too many stats compared to other champs. There's now masteries which explicitly buff AS hyrbid (Teemo/Kayle/Jax), higher flat AP/AD bonus (Explicitly strong on kayle), etc
I'm going to crunch the numbers on it, but the changes directly buff my play style with Kayle more than any other champ. The defence tree does favour 9 defence early game more, but offence seems to add relatively a lot more for hybrids.
Utility tree is really strong for supports now though.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:58 pm UTC

Massive win streak promoted again for the 7th time to silver 3. Only loss came in a 4v5 where our Jungle never loaded.
It was actually a fun game and we dragged it out for 40 mins. We would have won if I had not gone Sona. If I had been a bruiser or carry would have been an epic 4v5 win.

I am once again in love with my first love... Garen.
People just don't know how to stop me at silver level.

I have gone first pick Garen like 3 times and got countered with Teemo. He is supposed to counter me, but in Silver league I feed on him and dominate the lane.
Q>E>R = dead teemo every time.

Been experimenting with more damage oriented Garen and have realized I think building defense for first 3 items results in better games where I can impose my will on enemy team.

Does anything beat killing the enemy ADC while his teamates watch helplessly?

My favorite kill of the week was tower diving a WuKong and Rammus, getting the kill on Wukong and getting Rammus to 10% before I had to retreat.
( I dove while Wukongs invis skill was on CD so he couldn't escape)
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:02 am UTC

Just got my second pentakill ever, and with a most unlikely champion. It was aram, mind, so more likely to happen but still... level 5 soraka penta... they focused me the rest of the game :(

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:34 am UTC

I GOT MY TEEMO PENTAKILL STOLEN FROM ME IN ARAM

STILL SALTY
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:12 am UTC

Biliboy wrote:Just got my second pentakill ever, and with a most unlikely champion. It was aram, mind, so more likely to happen but still... level 5 soraka penta... they focused me the rest of the game :(
People forget that soraka has by far the strongest debuffs in the game if you get enough stacks. The people who forget about soraka in long team fights are the ones that look at their death recap to see >2k dmg from starfall.
Nidalee traps are also crazy powerful in terms of debuffs (Not so obvious)

Playing with a mild hangover and no sleep from being at a bar in London to see the guys from fnatic (xPeke came in the bar through the back door... lol), the games were harder than they should have been, even when duoing with a friend. That and match making being super screwy with some games consisting only of diamond 1 and 2's, while other games only consisting of plat 1. Left it too late, but I still managed that diamond in 179 ranked wins (Under 200 was the goal).
Oddly I saw quite a lot of diamonds smurfing (Probably to ebay or for friends I'm guessing). It's rather obvious when you obscene stats with nearly no games in diamond 3. I asked one, he said he was D1 75Lp on his main (He finished 22/2/8 or something like that).

Next season I hope they sort out the ratings better. Too many screwy things with the current system.

Lostdreams

Postby Lostdreams » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:STILL SALTY

Looks at avatar. *nods in agreement*
The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
TrlstanC wrote:But, I'm still curious, did no one else ever learn about creationism in science class at some point, at least those who went to public school?

Sorry, we just learned science.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Playing support is pretty hilariously fun now. It's interesting seeing people try out new things, especially with Vision wards.

I'm really loving the spellthief lineage of items. I feel like It really gels with my support style. I feel like that and a couple of wards with a Orb trinket are the way forward for me. I'm still having a little trouble figuring out when to use the orb though (do you bother grabbing the ward in your brush? What do you do about the one that's probably in/near river?)

Interesting things the wards. My friend has a theory that at 25g more than regular wards, it's worth buying one to shove at the classic dragon spot now that they're infinite. You essentially get one placed-until-ganked ward rather than having to religiously replace it every 3 minutes, giving you more time with your passive gold regen and your gold farming activities (depending on the item you got.) Not so sure how that will hold up to scrutiny though. Two main concerns being that
1) When the ward is taken out, it gives gold.
2) The enemy support is probably going to check the same thing with their sweeper anyways, so instead of placing it religiously, you have to defend it religiously. This won't work if you're a comp that can't all-in.

Also, thanks to this patch, ARAM has an unintended whole new element to it. I had a lot of fun with a team full of the coin-linage of items. As a team full of melees against a team of poke we had the cards stacked against us; but with these items we could take it in turns to farm while everyone else got some gold and tried to heal up. Late game, when you know you're just going to get poked from tower until initiated on, everyone can take turns mashing the "Cheese it!" button. It was a lot of fun.
Also also, relic sheild let me play as a heal-support Darius in ARAM. Let that soak in for a bit :P

I'm loving this patch.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:34 am UTC

3fj wrote:Also also, relic sheild let me play as a heal-support Darius in ARAM. Let that soak in for a bit :P
I need to try this now.

Overall what excites me the most is Leona in Dominion. That buff might mean a lot, and as a Leona main, I yearn for the day random players recognize Rammus isn't totes better because lol he's faster and deals more damage haha Leona sucks in dom
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Kewangji wrote:I'd buy you chili ice cream if you were here, or some other incongruous sweet.
natraj wrote:i have a bizarre mental block against the very idea of people enjoying mint and chocolate together.

3fj

Postby 3fj » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:44 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:Overall what excites me the most is Leona in Dominion. That buff might mean a lot, and as a Leona main, I yearn for the day random players recognize Rammus isn't totes better because lol he's faster and deals more damage haha Leona sucks in dom

I'm really looking forward to trying her out in SR. I need to get my standard support style back on track first though.

I still haven't tried out new Dominion yet, but other than the Leona/Taric buff I'm skeptical of the viability of Sona and the likes in there any more. They've always been fragile, but now they're fragile and a potentially underpowered.
Everything's dead until it's alive. Man will exist, and then he will die. Just take the ride!

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:55 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:
3fj wrote:Also also, relic sheild let me play as a heal-support Darius in ARAM. Let that soak in for a bit :P
I need to try this now.

Overall what excites me the most is Leona in Dominion. That buff might mean a lot, and as a Leona main, I yearn for the day random players recognize Rammus isn't totes better because lol he's faster and deals more damage haha Leona sucks in dom

I thought Rammus was better because of that god damn fucking taunt.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:53 pm UTC

Rammus' taunt is good, but Leona has 3 CC abilities on relatively low cooldowns. They are both good tanks and can really disrupt teams.

Is what I'd hope people would think about before saying...well not really I don't expect much from random blind pick players

Sona should still very viable. The movement speed/poke/heal/stun she brings is just so much utility. Janna and Lulu should also still be top picks.

setzer777

Postby setzer777 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:56 pm UTC

I'd still give Rammus the edge in Dominion though - he can fare far better in jungle duels than Leona, whose passive is wasted when she's alone.

Too infinity
of being an arsehole

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:44 pm UTC

I rarely if ever duel 1v1 in the jungle with my tank, since there's probably some squishy elsewhere needing the peel.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:37 pm UTC

Best and worst one for all matches anyone?

The most challenging was nasus vs lux so far, one lane in particular fed a lot, but I had taken smite to jungle, but got stuck mid, so I wandered and took buffs whenever I pushed the lane out. I was 6 before the mid lux hit 5, and roamed a lot. We ended up about 20 kills down, but pushed towers much better and ended up winning. The winning strategy turned out to be avoiding team fights, and split pushing... vs 5 lux's if one binding landed that nasus died instantly.

Worst match was picking yi into rammus... it went about as well as you'd expect.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:13 pm UTC

I had ezreal vs garen. Suprisingly, we managed to win. We basically all built frozen fist + frozen mallet, and then just 5 manned down mid and kited them forever.

Worst game was leona vs morg. Black Shield and her ult countered us so hard. Despite that, we managed to almost win.

Best game was darius vs lux. There is nothing you can do against double darius in a lane. My brother and I were do and both started with relic shields, and then at level 2 I got grab and he got the slow.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:13 am UTC

The strongest picks seem to be anyone that can build ap or ad, plus decent waveclear/tower killing. Sort of like regular summoner's rift :P

My veigar vs fiddlesticks match was kind of crazy, in the end we lost, despite having more kills on the fids. 5 veig stun circles was pretty crazy though, they had to get kills with ambushes, they couldn't chase at all.

I wonder if anyone is keeping some sort of stats as to champ win rates in all for one.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:29 am UTC

I just had a 4 man troll team pick rammus and then build nothing but speed items.

Also a troll duo who got capt, and asked what people wanted and then banned all those champs.

Aaeriele

Postby Aaeriele » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:22 am UTC

We had an epic Panth v. Heimer game. Most fights tended to boil down to placement of Man Drops vs. scatter pattern of Heimers.
Vaniver wrote:Harvard is a hedge fund that runs the most prestigious dating agency in the world, and incidentally employs famous scientists to do research.

afuzzyduck wrote:ITS MEANT TO BE FLUTTERSHY BUT I JUST SEE AAERIELE! CURSE YOU FORA!

3fj

Postby 3fj » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:34 pm UTC

I still have nightmares about 5 mandrop pile ons. Seeing 5 rings develop round your feet and not having time to swear about it. Similarly, having to dodge 5 blitz hooks or getting chain-fisted was not fun. That was a split push win too :P

My favourite so far is Eve. You have a shitty early game, but mid game onwards turns into a 5 woman jaws reenactment. Of course, with visible pinks and no oracles, they had a bit of a bad time.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:28 pm UTC

Best and worst one for all matches anyone?

Worst: Kassadin versus Soraka.

Pre-6 kass is laughable, and soraka's silence-poke outranges Kassadin's silence-poke. The fury of 5x starcall absolutely shreds/decimates anything nearby, and then there's that whole ST heal + ulti heal.

Best: Viktor vs Pantheon.

We had 3 first-time Vik's on the team. But thankfully they were open to the idea and went with it. Laning was a blast with trap tag-team negating any head-jumping Panth pulled on top/bot. Mid Vik was a Vik vet, so that worked out. Tamfights were abysmal for panth because Vik does almost just as much to a group of 5 people as he does to just 1 guy. And if team Raining Men was incoming? Pop a trap at the center of the drop zone and roast 'em on impact. The whole team had a lot of fun and I helped spread the Vik word.

To be honest I haven't really had a "balanced" match yet. They've all been rather windfall-y. (ps, die galio)

~

But my god, the number of people who flail about and complain they didn't get their pick, they hate the champ, and/or they're unwilling to learn the champ on the fly is just disheartening. I think maybe 50% of my queues actually make it to game because of someone bailing due to champion choice, even before they see who they're up against. I'm sorry you've never played Kayle before and you actually have to read your ability descriptions in the 3 minutes before the game technically starts. But that's no excuse to feed during the game because "Kayle's too hard", especially when you wanted everyone to be LEBLANC. </rant>
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:19 pm UTC

5 woman Eve ganks are hilarious, though we ended up losing to the volibears voliball team (cwutidid).

What I don't get is why no one wants to jungle in all for one. The same reasons for a jungler still apply. But that's k, more buffs for me. I had a game vs some mana hungry champ, lux or fiddle or something, stole their blue, left a small minion, and checked it periodically after... that same small minion was there for 15 straight minutes. I should have just cleared it and gotten more blues.

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:24 pm UTC

I think it's because there's no high level visibility of the "meta" yet. While a jungle would perform the same function, I think what people don't realize, specifically at lower levels of play, is that a jungle really isn't strictly necessary to win the game. At lower levels, a top lane 1v2 often doesn't know how to play appropriately, and won't give the jungle enough space to capitalize on the level differential (if top is always at low health, jungle can't gank, and you've just essentially gimped one of your players who is getting less than either of the duo lane's cs). You really need to play ultra safe until you can get a good gank or two off, and most people don't have the patience, foresight, or maybe they just don't have the skill to be able to pull it off. IF the top lane can do it, the jungler also has to be good enough to keep the pressure up and time ganks appropriately. That's a lot to ask for at lower levels. If/when they see high level players having a jungle every game in one for all, people will probably jump on board (even though it might not be the best choice at that skill level).

I guess my point is that at lower skill levels with less trust in teammates, you can often get an advantage by throwing 2 people in top lane and just bullying the top laner, even though the math is against it. This is especially true now that a duo lane can have pretty effective and constant warding for free at level 1, and throwing in the extra gold madness of 2 relic shields.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:21 am UTC

People dont jungle atm because relic shield is hilariously overpowered, and by jungling you give up a duo relic lane.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:00 am UTC

I believe most people in Dominion have been taking 20+ defense masteries, because they're just *that* good.

Cleaver stack meta was sooooooooooooo much more fun.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 pm UTC

This whole recent meta shake up is quite strange compared to basically every meta change I've seen before. All the other ones were usually quite decisive changes in the sense that it moved in one direction.

Gold items certainly changes a lot about supports. Traditional supports have high base utility that doesn't need gold to be effective, kill lanes often fell behind because they need the gold to be useful later (Thus requiring you to dominate lane or lose). Now you get so much gold that even a small amount of utility is enough. Furthermore, less wards needed, sightstone allows you to lay 3 wards, pink wards nearly redundant; so basically offence or tank are the best options.

As far as 2v1ing goes, I'd go as far to say that even high level players mostly don't understand it. In plat I found people would mostly fail at it, in lower diamond people get it most of the time, and higher diamond people understand it but it can be easily dealt with.
In particular being able to freeze the lane correctly and zone it with the extra gold income means that even jungler ganks become worthless. Usually the extra level can give an advantage(E.g. Level 6 rene + jungler beats a lot of standard 2v1s at 5), but extra gold + free wards means it's difficult to make anything out of it for the jungler. Since you can run double offensive champs top, it's incredibly difficult to stop it snowballing.
E.g. Rengar, vayne top. There's no way to safely lane short of sitting behind tower (You're just screwed if it's frozen correctly) and their mid game will be so strong compared to other teams top laner that the jungler and mid would have to double gank (losing lane dominance mid, potentially failing from passing all the free wards or stealth's) to even remotely stand a chance of getting an advantage.

On the other hand, tanks are now tankier and the bonus gold/stats make some things really quite stupid (e.g. Taric vs ad heavy teams). Rammus and taric are both hitting getting near highest win rates in solo q across the board.

I'm wondering how long it will be before the meta settles more, I think it's going to need another patch or two.

Edit: Oh yeah and creep blocking is really crazy at the moment. Somehow it went from the occasional "Damn creeps blocked me", with the rare, but possible "Wow, 4 creeps locked me in place unable to move"... to "Wow I didn't get blocked that time", and the "Wow, 2 creeps locked me in place unable to move". Creep block is way overpowered sometimes, it's barely even a good mechanic to have beyond taking a slight detour, not this 4 extra seconds walking around tiny little things in your way BS.
Just so many weird little bugs as well. As expected doing such huge update at once... I hope it gets ironed out before S4 start.
Last edited by elminster on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:48 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

faranim

Postby faranim » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 pm UTC

Best: Lux vs Darius.
My top lane partner as Lux was awesome. If either one of us landed a bind, it was dead Darius. Also, the cross-lane ganks via Lux's ult.

Worst: Amumu vs LeBlanc.
The game just wouldn't end. LeBlanc's high mobility let them split-push, but they couldn't win any team fights. Amumu would chase LeBlanc away, but by the time they were able to push a lane, they had to recall in order to defend the base.

The game ultimately ended in a surrender when the Amumu team finally just pushed down the mid lane, and the LeBlanc team gave up.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:41 am UTC

I'm thinking we've had this conversation here somewhere before, but how do LP gains work again? I was placed into bronze 3, started getting 25-30 lp per win, now that I'm in bronze 1 at 51lp, I'm down to getting 8 per win.

Does that mean the game thinks I need to stay in B1? Or is the slog from I to the next V up always like this?

Intrigued

Postby Intrigued » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:19 pm UTC

I think it's some combination of the two. Everyone I've heard of has gotten greatly reduced ip gains once after hitting a I. They've made it artificially more difficult to get to the next V because you can never drop from there (by losing at least). I'd think your gains should also be reduced when you go from III -> II, for example, but you may not really see it if you're hitting solid win streaks and your MMR is rising fast enough to counter that effect. Basically if your MMR (gained by wins, lost by losses) is well above you, your LP gains will be higher and losses will be lower, and vice versa, with a distinct slowdown when you're going for that I -> V promotion.

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:10 pm UTC

I don't know the precise formula, but I could give it a good approximation. There are several factors that go into LP gained/lost:
Current League/Division/LP, the average MMR of your team, the average MMR of enemy team, how close you are to the next league.

Now, visible rating is completely separate to MMR (Can be manipulated to have an extreme separation). MMR decides who you get matched with, not rating. The base amount of LP you'd get/lose would be calculated from the difference of the MMR at your teams rating to the rating of the MMR of people you're being matched against. E.g. Gold 3 with MMR equivalent to Diamond 5 would win lots of LP and lose very little.
Since you can't drop leagues, when you get into division 1, the LP gets artificially reduced as you get closer to promos. This can sometimes be extreme when your MMR is also very low compared to your rating, in which case you may gain 0LP. My smurf got 3LP across the last 5 games (2,1,0,0,0) to plat promos because I was duoing with a silver 4 at the time. I think it particularly hits LP in duo cases to prevent abuse, since you could get a high rated smurf on a bronze 5 account to duo with you.
The above modifier will be reset after getting into the next league. So you may get 1lp and -7lp/loss before promo, but in the next league you'll probably get around +7/-7 or whatever is applicable.
From my experience and what I heard, if you're winning over ~32LP before promos and you get straight wins you're quite likely to skip a division if possible.

An important thing to note is that MMR can change faster than visible rating (hence the skipping is there), but it changes slower the more total games you have. If you mistakenly get placed in silver 5, but get 30 straight wins after, your MMR will be somewhere in/near diamond, but ratings would have only got to about gold 5 by that point.

You can estimate your MMR, by taking an average of the people you get matched with in solo queue. The website OP.gg can do that for you (You need at least 5 solo q games). I believe it takes your last ranked games, gets the average team ratings of each of them, and averages them.
Note: This will be skewed if you duo.

E.g. My account currently has approximate MMR equal to diamond 3 (just got to 4, winning ~25lp). I duo'd with a gold 1 friend with an MMR of around gold 1, match making gave us games averaging in diamond 5. OP.gg said the same rating to both of us (2,035, which is about diamond 4 0lp). Obviously match making favours the highest rated person by a very large margin (Obviously to prevent abuse).
Last edited by elminster on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:21 pm UTC

Been playing ranked again. The skill levels still seem to be askew and it tends to make the games one sided.

I enjoy the changes especially the ability for Support players to actually build items.

It seems to me that Tanky supports are the way to go. Leona is great and Taric is MUCH better than he was in season 3 since he can actually get REAL tanky.

I had a win as Janna once but felt damn squishy against an enemy leona.

After a month of unstoppable Garen --- I can't win with him, putting him back on the shelf. Had a smurf teemo humiliate me as Garen top even though I deathstomped the last 3-4 I faced.

faranim

Postby faranim » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:02 pm UTC

It looks like AP Support is going to be a big thing also. I was always surprised when champs like Zyra, Annie, or Fiddle were used as supports, but now it seems like almost any AP champion can fill the support role as long as they have some utility (stuns, binds, slows, shields, etc). Plus in the late-game they can build damage items due to the increased gold.

I was asked to play Support Morgana and it worked out fairly well. But this was also because the enemy team first-picked Leona, and Morgana's shield shuts down Leona pretty hard since it cancels the stuns.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:34 pm UTC

I've never had so many ranked games where first called position is support. ever. I normally play support because I enjoy it, and also it used to be the last position anyone else wanted, so I may as well get good at it. My leona is around 65% win rate with random strangers (my duo normally jungles or mids), I can imagine what she'd be if I had a really good duo adc.

Now, I get into ranked and last position anyone wants is adc, sometimes jungle.

I'd be fine with this except many 'support' calls want to take that ap carry (annie etc) and pretend they are mid, no ward stones, no utility items (new shurelias), just straight up ap.

I had another non ranked where bot was xin/jarvan. I was lucian, and was able to dodge jarvan, but since i had a zilean support we couldn't do enough damage to kill them. Late game, anyone with flash or dash skills on cd died to the pain train of 4 bruisers with gap closers + ziggs mid.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:23 pm UTC

Yea I played one game as mid and I felt like I still spent a decent amount on Wards, but I did make a lot more gold and spent FAR less on pinks, so I was able to get some good items.

On Sona/Soraka I need to figure out if its worth buying big AP items or just get real tanky.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:29 pm UTC

I would say sona ap, soraka tanky... I saw a soraka jungle (ikr) do so-so, with a rylai's and then straight tank items. I tried it in an aram where we had no tanks, and it was kinda silly how useful it is... walk out front spamming q, heal yourself as soon as you take ad damage for the armor buff, and silence someone important. Everyone is slowed by 15%, helping your team kite better, and your heal is back up pretty fast since the q is landing all the time. I tried to watch the mr shred stacks on the enemy garen and they got up to 6-8 sometimes.

I'd like to see some math, similar to what the Elitist Jerks forums do for WoW theorycrafting, on the optimum tank items. Armor and magic resist are extremely important, but going straight armor with no health is not best either.

I tend to wing it with things that have both and hope for the best, with champs that have built in armor/mr going more for straight health.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:18 pm UTC

ARRRRRGH!!!

This F'ing GAME! I have been trying to be extremely positive and complimentary for a few weeks now --- its not working.

Last 3 matches:
1) Its my 3rd promo game, need a win. Teamate sees that on Lolnexus -- so he starts off the match "your not going to win your promo" then proceeds to throw the match-- he laughs about it in chat after the game and brags about costing me the promo. WTF?!?!
2) Me Malphite holding my lane against a very aggressive Chogoth. Bottom goes 0-8 so the ADC says "support is trash, im throwing". Support says "ADC is trash im throwing" --- and they both did. Janna just afk's at fountina, the ADC feeds enemy on purpose.
3) Me Malphite jungle everyone is really bad. Should have been an easy win. Our Mid and Top are horrible -- they begin to trash each other in chat. I keep saying "we got this guys, its ok, we will come back, hang in there, lets stay positive and beat these guys... "
They don't care: Both of them decide to throw. Both of them say so in chat. Both of them march right into 1v5's to feed enemy.

On a side note, I created a 3v3 team and we are undefeated so far. But I was dissapointed because 3v3 ranked is not available so I don't get to see where we would be placed -- with no F'ing trolls to ruin the games.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 pm UTC

with no F'ing trolls to ruin the games.

I'd assume you see similar results if you form a 5's team, or what you saw in SR if Twisted Treeline had a solo Q.

I've been abstaining from ranked (bronze 1! /flex); the matchups in normals seem to have the same pool of people and are equally challenging, but there's less toxicity from allies and enemies alike.
Last edited by philsov on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:33 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 pm UTC

To be fair, if bot lane is 0-8 they've pretty much already thrown the game... after the first one or two deaths you should go straight to 'not die, wait for later to catch up with cs' mode.

I had a game as graves with a blitz, at around level 9 he had gotten me 8 kills with two deaths, but come mid game, the top panth that was fed out the wazoo stomped all over me... we ended up winning because of two dc's at the wrong time on the enemy team, but my 8-2 had turned into 12-12-12 by the end because top lane couldn't play safe after the first few deaths. Several of the games recently where I was sent top were pretty much draws, or slight advantage to me, but late game got stomped because of huge advantages in the enemy team's bot.

There's a reason that a lot of the pro matches that I've watched (correct me if I'm wrong, I've not watched that many) don't actually have that many kills in them, maybe 3-6 on the most fed champ, most gold comes from objectives and cs.

On another note, I noticed something the other day in an all for one game. We were playing Heim, and around level 2 I decided I wanted blue buff, and found a way to kill it without taking any damage. Place a turret a bit farther than the outside edge of the blue buff's bush, then pull, if you get the range right the buff leashes back just as it gets to that spot, then gets re-aggro'd before any regen happens. It needs fairly high attack speed to pull it off early game, but I did it with an adc or two in bot games with 29% attack speed runes and the other 5% from masteries, with judicious skill usage. Might open up some interesting counter jungle opportunities at very early levels if you're careful. Maybe I'll try to bring twitch jungle back, now that stealth is so much more powerful :P

Return to “Gaming”