League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Biliboy

Re: League of Legends

Postby Biliboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:29 am UTC

Sometimes you just can't 'make' a team do the right thing, so make the best of the thing... if they want to baron, you can't help a bunch as garen, so drop the wards you've been carrying (you have wards, yes?) into red bush and tower bush near wraiths so you can see the other team coming, then ping the heck out of them when they do come so your team knows to stop baron and come ambush.

I wonder if late game you really need your whole team at baron. If done carefully enough, you can clear sight, place your own, then a minute or so later while some of you are mid making yourself visible, your adc and a tanky champ sneak off and baron, while the rest of the team is near enough to react.

Late game and no champs in lane only means three things, an ace, dragon or baron, and most people know this. Try taking advantage of this.

On the issue of sight, I haven't noticed many people upgrading their ward clear trinket (forget the name) the upgraded version basically gives you the old oracles buff for 6 seconds after you use it, so you can clear a lot more than just the one circle. It also helps for eve/twitch/shaco etc. Clear an important bush, then run to another one nearby, or clear outside of baron pit and step inside to check there too. Combined with a few pink wards and you can be fairly sure you aren't visible.

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:35 pm UTC

Promo'ed to Silver 2 over the weekend.

Only had one loss this weekend and it was when my internet was freaking out and I didn't connect till everyone was level 8. Couldn't catch up in time. 6-1 Total --- Got carried in my last game because a Shayvana abused me top lane. Also had a subpar game as Brand, but played smart and helped team win the team fights. .

Edit: 2 more games, 2 more wins.

Currently 60-46 for the Season --- still getting 22 LP per win, and have gold players in all my games.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:35 am UTC

Went to play some games on NA... jesus christ it's hard to CS with 190ms ping compared to 30ms on EUW.
I don't even know how I managed to play like that before.

4.3 Patch:
KhaZix, Gragas, Teemo, Yasuo, Kass nerfs (Pretty notable nerfs on each)
Ryze and Skarner buffs (Moderate buffs)

Dorans sheild nerf will be pretty big. Mobi boots will be worse for champs that still require MS after the initial engage.
Jungle item changes nerf single target junglers, less of a nerf to aoe junglers .

I crunched some numbers on support items (assuming you get all the minion death procs) and the relative differences are:
Ancient Coin is effectively the same.
Nomads gives effectively +2hp/5 more, -4mp/5, -2gold/10. Max effective gold of 8g/10s
Spellthief's edge gives -5ap but +10damage and +1gold per hit procing up to 3times per 30s rather than 1per 10 (easier to get full gold for infrequent trades), -1mp/5.
Frostfang gives -10ap but +15damage and +2gold per hit with the same as above, -2mp/5. Max effective gold of 14g/10s

Given the AP ratios, 5ap lvl 1 is maybe 3 damage early on, so for a 3 spell/hit combo you're getting 21more damage. Considering that you can trigger it from AA's as well as spells, that's a lot more in some cases.
Also talisman is still a great item, but frost queen has had a relatively big buff compared to other support item changes.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:50 pm UTC

I think I like most of the changes.

I haven't been able to play Kassadin for ages because he is perma-ban but the null sphere change seems harsh... need to test it.

I would say boots of mobility are ruined. I rarely bought them when I jungled, now I will never buy them. The other boots Tabi and Mercury are too good to pass up for all my jungle chars (all tanks).

They didn't change Leona.... and she seems like the most OP champ to me. I still have a 100% win rate on her, and most of my losses in ranked are against Leona. When I am captain I always ban leona or thresh then make sure my team has one of them.... for a monster advantage.

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:53 am UTC

My number crunching seems to have been correct. Uptake of frostfang has been so dramatic that champs who can utilize it are becoming viable again. I'm surprise Zyra support hasn't seen more play recently.

Also I mentioned about morgana as support at the start of the season. Top level players finally caught on in LCS: http://www.ongamers.com/articles/support-morgana-in-lcs-return-of-the-exile/1100-1029/.

Odd hour normals are really quite annoying. Matchmaking mixes together everyone and it's usually skewed because so few people in high ratings are on. Had several games recently with everything from bronze to challenger in the same match. Also, it's annoying how when you trying learn something it's so inconsistent.
I just had someone rage hard at me because I was doing badly on ADC when my support was awful. Just to prove a point I picked picked my main the next match with him in (So few people on, get matched with same person 3 times in a row and 20min+ queues) and went 18/1. No fun at all, neither for me or them. Any high diamond on their mains should utterly destroy in gold.
/rant

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 am UTC

Morgana support seems to have an incredibly high skill cap. Getting the black shield right, hitting bindings, using soul shackles without dying... the only ability that's vaguely easy to use is tormented soil, and even that needs a bit of thought. Black shield is so powerful in the hands of an LCS-level support, though. Basically nullifies so many of the popular hard initiate possibilities.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:24 pm UTC

So the new patch is out.
Going to play a few games today.

Not sure how I feel about the Kassadin changes. (They removed silence from null sphere)
Looking forward the the no collision passive though.

I actually got to play him once last week (dude is PERMA banned, so its mega rare) and while my CS was low, got tons of kills and 1 death, and destroyed the morale of the enemy team.

Question:
Do you think taking +Gold runes on Kassadin is viable since he is sooo easy to harass and he has a harder time farming than almost any mid?

Im still in Silver 2, after a massive lose streak of DC's on my team.... 3 in 5 games at one point.
The odds finally corrected. Im getting 24 LP per win, which is nice being that my lowered my MMR probably 100 points.

I feel like the amount of Toxic players has gone up in my games. Some insane people. But as long as they don't throw or afk, I guess thats just part of life.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Do you think taking +Gold runes on Kassadin is viable since he is sooo easy to harass and he has a harder time farming than almost any mid?

Well now that he isn't indisputably the most powerful champion in the game, maybe? It's not like he does terribly worse at this than any other melee assassin, though, so I'm doubtful. Gp10 runes aren't even that popular on supports anymore, because extra laning power can just get your more gold up front.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:15 pm UTC

Thanks for input.

But other melee champs build AD damage so they have a much easier time farming.
Zed/Talon/Yao can all mega farm in a way Kassadin can only dream about until he has a lot of AP.

By my first trip back with Talon I can do enough damage to take out a wave with blades.
First trips back with Kassadin are generally +mana health items. (RoA, Tear)

I have still been using +gold runes on my supports, might need to adjust it if your right.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 pm UTC

I was counting Fizz, too, but that's a fair point. Kassadin won't be able to shove with spells as early, although he does have less trouble using his autoattacks than most casters, since he has better base AD than all of those dudes, plus W.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 pm UTC

I played Kassadin in 1 game yesterday with his changes.

He is definitely less powerful than he was. I built him with more mana than I generally go for so that could have been it. Also, I was dumb and stayed mid versus a Yao who crushed me, then I went top versus a very fed Nid and ended up dominating her over time.

So I suppose what I noticed most is that jumping on ADC's is a lot scarier now, since before the silence would prevent a full burst, but jumping on an AP is still pretty rocking.

With more mana and starting cheaper rift walks and lower CD, I was able to make some SICK plays and successfully escaped many situations where I would have died before.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:18 am UTC

I started a smurf account.

First 5v5 game:

Im top against twitch + sivir as khazix. No armor runes (or any runes. Did you know kha has less than 60 ad at level 1?) Twitch is a couple minutes late in connecting. Sivir is also a smurf.

Mid is our annie vs their diana.

Bot is our duo queue cait + nami against cait + alistar.

Our talon is in jungle. He has no runes, and starts dorans blade.

Our bot lane gets ultrawrecked (2 towers in 12 minutes).

I die early to sivir, around level 4 (Oh me yarm I miss having armor seals). I end up being forced into buying 5 pots every back, and opening ninja tabi. I am not doing well at all. Talon dies in jungle at level 2, then comes to my lane (sivir and I level 5), to leech xp (and die to sivir). Sivir has twice my farm, their cait has 3x our cait's farm.

At 15 minute mark we are down like 12 kills, 3 towers. Our jungler is level 7, our bot lane is level 8. Finally I manage to double kill sivir and twitch. Then they come back for my 2nd tower, annie ganks top and I pick up another 2 kills.
Game end: http://pbrd.co/1h3ILab. They stalled it out for quite some time with constant splitpushing, forcing me to recall. My team would never keep pushing during this like I would ask them to.

Other fun things: Talon went IE first, before boots or anything else. Cait went alacrity zerkers before anything else, then got a pickaxe and vamp scepter. At this point their cait had a bloodthirster, zerkers and most of a last whisper.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:30 am UTC

Snowball assassins in the hands of a good player in games at low ranks / with newbies are just brutal. I mentioned ages ago, back when I was that level, that a good enemy Katarina would just wipe the entire team in seconds, and at that level most players just have no idea of how to stop/prevent it. Master Yi and Kha'zix are similar. Basically a good player playing any champion with on-kill resets can easily solo-carry at the ultra-low levels.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:41 am UTC

Adacore wrote:Snowball assassins in the hands of a good player in games at low ranks / with newbies are just brutal. I mentioned ages ago, back when I was that level, that a good enemy Katarina would just wipe the entire team in seconds, and at that level most players just have no idea of how to stop/prevent it. Master Yi and Kha'zix are similar. Basically a good player playing any champion with on-kill resets can easily solo-carry at the ultra-low levels.

If I had to guess, myself, sivir, their cait, their ali and our annie were all smurfs. Our talon claimed to be a smurf, but I dont believe him.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm UTC

I ignore people when they claim to be smurfs. Odds are they are lying. And even when they are smurfs, that generally means they don't care about winning and are just as likely to troll.

Im hoping to make Silver 1 tonight. Been playing the new Kassadin some and I have a winning record on him. I think I'm done with Brand --- I just can't carry with him at all and he dies to easily to a lot of champs even if u stun them. There has to be a reason pros won't touch him.

Still relying on Volibear, Garen, Leona, and Kassadin to have the biggest impact. I want to pick up some new mids and see if I can have a larger impact. Thinking Gragas, Kat, Orianna, xereth. The new champ is fun but soooooo squishy.

yurell

Postby yurell » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:05 pm UTC

Quite simply, if you were a platinum+ smurf you wouldn't be saying 'Oh me yarm y my teem feed', you'd be saying 'relax, ladies and gentleman, I'm a Platinum II smurf and I'll carry you.'
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:56 am UTC

What's a good mid and support nowadays? I think I might tackle ranked at some point in the future, but unsure about the meta (coming from Dominion).
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

yurell

Postby yurell » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 am UTC

Ahri, Zed, Gragas and Ziggs are currently strong mids. and support seems to be Thresh/Leona/Morgana/Annie for almost all the LCS games.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

elminster

Postby elminster » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:45 am UTC

Weeks wrote:What's a good mid and support nowadays?
Lulu ofc :D
But really, Lulu is good mid and support.

Supports: Thresh is still the best if you're good at him. Morg is solid, easy to play, always effective. Leona is highish risk, high reward, but she's unforgiving to mistakes.
Lulu is the best single target protector (Useful vs single target killers). Soraka is still beastly strong late game, can be potent if you know what you're doing, wouldn't recommend though unless you know what you're doing. Blitz still grabs, wouldn't recommend unless you're particularly skilled with him. Annie can still work just fine in the right circumstance, not as potent since the nerfs.
Zyra is situationally extremely powerful (e.g. Had a game the other day where I did 30% more damage than anyone else), but very difficult to play as standard (all skillshots, no mobility, more unique play style, etc) and unforgivingly squishy/immobile. Karma is actually underrated at the moment; she's played a lot in the Korean scene.
Janna, still great if you're good with her, wouldn't recommend if you're just mediocre. Taric, kinda weak. Zilean, powerful if you know what you're doing otherwise weak. Ali, situationally good, mostly poor though. Sona only really good if you know what you're doing.

Mid: Gragas, Lulu, Ziggs. I'd throw Kayle in there, but the former 3 are good counter picks vs kayle. Kayle generally beats over 90% of matchup though, however capitalizing on that makes the difference between winning/losing. E.g. GP is an effective pick vs Kayle simply because he out scales and can farm, other champs can roam or take tele.
Imo Zed is strictly unviable if there's a Kayle player on the enemy team and Kayle isn't banned. Also Zed really requires a lot of skill to pull off effectively.
I've beaten countless diamond 1 Zeds at this point and I only expect to go equal vs near challenger, and if you're equally skilled, Kayle will pretty much always win that matchup (Lolking stats show that it's the worst mid matchup of any in the game).
Yasuo is still extremely strong, but requires a lot of practice (Like Zed, Kayle is consider a hard counter to Yasuo). Orianna always good, takes a fair bit of practice as well though. Katarina is underrated, with a bit of practice and knowledge, you can stomp hard.
Ahri is too unreliable. It's too easy to win against equally skilled player.

Summary:
Supp (A being a bit stronger for supps)- A) Thresh, Morg. B) Leona (B because she's unforgiving when played poorly and you need to be more proactive), Annie, Lulu,
Mid (B requiring practice as far as mids go)- A) Gragas, Lulu, Ziggs. B) Kayle, Yasuo, Orianna, Katarina

Really though... it depends what you're good at. The above is essentially for people who ask "If i'm Ok at every element of the game, but not played those champs loads, who will I win with", the problem is that some champs are extremely powerful in some circumstances, some are useless unless you know them reasonably well, etc. E.g. Ziggs requires very little practice to win almost any matchup.
It's important to note that champs like LeBlanc, while powerful, require a lot of skill to pull off. Also it depends on rating; in diamond, high skillcap, unpredictability, and mobility is more of a factor; in bronze-gold, roaming power is more of a factor.
Finally, there's plenty of unconventional picks which are surprisingly strong if you know what you're doing; e.g. There's several challenger rated Soraka mid/top players. I've seen Soraka beat Ziggs with constant jungler ganks before in mid diamond.

My smurf is about to hit plat but I never mention I'm a smurf unless someone asks or after the game. When i start a game I usually say "Hi all. Prefer mid/top, can adc, bad at jungle". Really, I'd like to just be a dick and do whatever it takes to get mid because I know we'd have a better chance of winning, but it's their loss really, not mine; the only thing not getting mid/top is doing is slowing down my rating gain, so I let them take whatever they like. However, I mostly use my smurf to duo with low rated friends (They can't win vs plat+ matchups) or to boost people who deserve higher ratings.
Made a second smurf with the intent of getting diamond with Kayle only (Aptly named Kaylè), but grinding levels vs bots is boring as hell. I feel bad going in normals, unless in a 5 man premade (Almost always vs lvl30 players or smurfs then) because they don't learn anything by getting stomped by diamonds when they just started when 98% of players do anyway.
Not done any ranked on my main recently, except 5x5 with our new ranked 5 tourney team (Aimed for people able to reach mid diamond at least).

From my experience, it seems decision making is the largest factor when going from high silver to low diamond. It's so difficult to measure objectively if a decision is correct, the only thing that does that is rating over time, which you already know. CSing, map awareness, mechanics, knowledge of abilities, timings, warding, gold values, etc are all important, but those you can reasonably easily tell if you're doing well. Utilizing the correct strategy and tactics to have good decision making is rarely clear and is often the deciding factor, as well as (rather importantly) the limiting factor of your chances to win.

Doesn't matter if you're 30/0, if you don't work towards killing the nexus, a 0/30 guy could be more useful. Doesn't matter if you were stomping up to the 40min mark if you force your team to do baron at a bad time. Essentially, even mediocre abilities in every respect will get you high ratings if you're making good decisions. God like mechanics can only get you so far, e.g. A friend of mine with pretty much challenger level mechanics who's about to get his second account into diamond, has only ever reached diamond 5 because poor map awareness and decision making.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:56 pm UTC

Played 3 games yesterday all 3 should have been wins, but went 1-2

Stomped a team badly then our Mid DC'ed and enemy team just 5 man pushed a few times for the W.
Was losing another game, we were down 8 kills, then we started to have a monster come back at which point our Mid Gragas announced he was trying to get banned so fed the enemy team.

The enemy team was cool and refused to kill him after his first 3 obvious feeds, so he would just follow them all over the map. But basically it was a 4v5. The guy said in chat over and over, I want to be perma banned, then did everything in his power to prove it.

I really hate the LoL community.

Some trends I have noticed lately.
1) TONS of DC's. In my last 20 games there has been a DC in at least 10 of them.
2) There are a lot more comebacks now. Not sure why, but I keep seeing team down 15-20 kills come back and win, either on my team or against.
3) People picking all squishies resulting in horrible team comps where nobody can initiate. It works fine for assassinating, but once you get into mid late game, those teams just crumble

Y Dyn Eira

Postby Y Dyn Eira » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:12 pm UTC

You get those kind of guys everywhere. They used AIMbots, wallhacks and other such lameness in the old FPS. You just notice it more because you're stuck in the game

Hi new here and a big LoL player.

I don't know what's happened but recently I have just been loving my time in game. I started this season really badly, from Silver 1 last season I ended up in bronze 4 from promos. Felt trolly, trolled and then just gave it a break. Shortly after I came back. Went from b2 80lp to s5 in a day and have been steadily climbing since. I'm now in my promos for g4(but may jump, I play with g2 and plats a lot) and just dont see any reason for me to lose any game I play.

I do feel like I'm playing way out of my comfort zone, however, as I get high golds and low plats/ex diamonds in my games so after every lolnexus i take a big gulp and pray for the best.

Fav champs:
Irelia
Shyvana
Leona
Kat
Fizz

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:39 pm UTC

Y Dyn Eira wrote:You get those kind of guys everywhere. They used AIMbots, wallhacks and other such lameness in the old FPS. You just notice it more because you're stuck in the game

I suppose the difference is hackers ruined the game for the other team. The worst you could do to your own team was smoke grenade them.

LoL trolls try to ruin the game for their own team. This was insanely rare on shooters, again I only recall following you around throwing smoke, and insanely rare.

Hi new here and a big LoL player.

Welcome!

the rest of your post

Do you solo Q or Duo?
Your champ select is strong, ur smart and don't play weak champs. But my questions would be.

At your current level does the enemy focus your Kat ults and shut them down quickly, or are they like typical silver players who just let Kat ult at will and don't insta stun her?

Do you ever pick Fizz before the enemy has selected their mid, and if so do you get hard countered a lot?
Also, do you find Fizz useful in team fights or do you find you melt with any focus. (since you have to get into melee range to engage unlike most AP mids)
I ask because I only see Fizz players succeed when they can consistently assassinate solo champs.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:56 pm UTC

elminster wrote:snip
Thanks. I used to play a lot of Ahri back in season 2 and a little in season 3, but I think I can play Kat/Kayle decently. I can't believe Lulu is a good mid, I love that champ!
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

Y Dyn Eira

Postby Y Dyn Eira » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:49 pm UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Welcome!

the rest of your post

Do you solo Q or Duo?
Your champ select is strong, ur smart and don't play weak champs. But my questions would be.

At your current level does the enemy focus your Kat ults and shut them down quickly, or are they like typical silver players who just let Kat ult at will and don't insta stun her?

Do you ever pick Fizz before the enemy has selected their mid, and if so do you get hard countered a lot?
Also, do you find Fizz useful in team fights or do you find you melt with any focus. (since you have to get into melee range to engage unlike most AP mids)
I ask because I only see Fizz players succeed when they can consistently assassinate solo champs.

Cheers :)

I'm left Kat alone for a bit as I find while she has great lane presence, roaming and ability to duel she lacks when it comes to objective fights/objective taking. Maybe that's just me. I feel confident with her winning my lane and dominating the game but not really winning it. Usually I try and bait things out or play a little smart.

Is the fight in the jungle? shunpo in and head to the nearest bush, the enemy may follow you and you can get uninterrupted ult. Use your Zhonya's smart and never the same way twice. Shunpo > Zhonya > flash (throw them off) > q>w>ult. Mix it up a bit! It doesn't matter what they're doing, just what you're doing. :)

As for Fizz, whatever, really. I play it when I feel like being a bit of a dick haha. E around, q around. Roam. It doesn't matter who you're laning against if you're winning other lanes for them and fish provides high kill potential if you land your ult.

Irelia was my main carry though. Shy jungle too. Beautiful champs.

EDIT: Combination of duo and solo. I'm comfortable solo q and duo q, it doesn't really matter who you're with or against, you can win the game.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:19 pm UTC

Question:
Total CS versus CS of your opponent. What is the more important stat?

1) I play Kassadin a lot, and my CS is always low.
2) I was watching some pro players and when they play Kassadin they don't get harrassed nearly as much as I do in a silver game. I assume its because the pro enemy AP's are more worried about their own CS, where in Silver games the people want to inflict damage to get kills and will forgo CS to inflict damage. Hence a pro player is less likely to harrass the enemy Kassadin if it would cost them any CS, hence pro Kassadins seem to take less harassement, hence they have the opportunity to CS more in safety.

So knowing that you are going to take a beating every time you go in for a melee CS --- should low rank Kassadins stress less about the CS, or is getting all that CS -- and hence an awful beating in lane --- more important?

Y Dyn Eira

Postby Y Dyn Eira » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

A) Use skills and abilities for caster minions
B) Move in, kill the fighter minions, back off.
C) If they are harassing you heavily, buy more pots. Don't start popping reds as soon as you've taken some damage, wait till they've really gone at you, back off, pot, come back and start again. (This will discourage them psychologically when it appears to be having no effect)

Ixtellor

Re: League ah Legends

Postby Ixtellor » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:50 pm UTC

Yea...
I have 113 wins on Kassadin with a 70% win rate this season and 62.5% last season.

I still hate this community though.
Last game some gold first picks ryze top, goes 0-8 for a fun start. I ganked it 5 times to help him, he never once engaged.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:45 am UTC

Ixtellor wrote:Yea...
I have 113 wins pon Kassadin wid a 70% win rate dis season an' 62.5% last season.

I still hate dis community dough.
Last game some gold first picks ryze top, goes 0-8 for a fun start. I ganked it 5 times to help him, he never once engaged.

I hate that. The worst is when someone is begging for a gank (always while in some lane that is awful) and when you gank he doesnt even move, just takes +1 cs and stands there.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:20 am UTC

Only played kass like twice since the rework, but I'd probably focus on farming till my harass actually matters. If you do it correctly, you can sometimes give him the option to take his own CS or harass you while you're taking yours. If he harasses you, that would be a 2CS difference, which can be more than a HP pot worth of gold.
If they harass me over taking a cannon minion while I CS something else... I'd take that as a win.
Crystaline + 3 hp pot start is probably really strong just to make up for weak early game. If you can push hard just before you need to back, then get back to lane, you could still be equal or maybe even more CS, which will give you a stronger mid game. Not CSing and waiting longer to power up will delay how long it takes to out scale.

Sometimes you have to ignore people calling for ganks. The only positive thing about ganking for people who ask over using your own judgement is that it's less likely for them to rage, otherwise it's probably better to ignore them and try figure out if it's better on your own.

I was trying to boost my friend on my smurf and it's been painful how badly gold players throw games (Including my friend, but I should more than enough to offset that). I've been at scores like 12/1 and 9/0 at ~25min mark, but the throws were so hard that we lost. People don't know how to push advantages toward winning, I think it stems from the misunderstanding of relative advantage and value of it. 10k gold lead at 25mins is huge, at 40mins it's relatively minor. Just because you had a successful early game, doesn't mean you'll be stronger later by just farming; you'll actually be weaker relative to them because the % gold difference will be smaller.
Koreans are known for taking a small advantage and pushing it hard to a victory. Snowballing of a small amount. Playing passive with a large advantage is the opposite. You need to know when you can almost certainly win any team fight, and just force them or take an objective.
On my smurf, I've now got a 57% win rate on my smurf with kayle in gold 1 (Should be 66%, but technical problems in 2 games with friend meant 4v5s). On my main I'm at 82% win rate with Kayle in diamond 5 as most played. Can definitely see why Kayle is stronger in diamond than gold, simply because she's not a hyper carry and in bronze-gold you need to carry hard.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:21 am UTC

I'm curious what you do on your Kayle-only account if someone picks Kayle before you?

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:23 am UTC

I would think kayle can carry super hard at bronze, just because you can do lots of aoe damage and people wont be smart enough to not try to kill you while you are invulnerable

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:00 am UTC

So dumbest thing ever: Even if you have true vision of it, rengar will leap from the bushes to attack a teemo shroom.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:25 pm UTC

Gold V's 0 LP

I have seen a lot of these lately in my games.
I find that they are very toxic or highly unskilled. I thought they changed the rules so that you can get demoted... anyone know for certain?
Saw a gold V 0 LP blitz yesterday miss EVERY single grab in a game. (I think he snagged a minion once or twice --- he started the game 0-10-1 and enemy ADC + jungler just dominated)

Enokh

Postby Enokh » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:48 pm UTC

Just started playing LoL (used to play it YEARS ago) and holy shit I'm getting wrecked. Got completely dominated in my first game, was advised by players there (they were surprisingly nice) that I should do some vs. AI games. I've done a few, and have actually managed to get Champion kills. Though, it hasn't been terribly fun because there's usually some idiots on my team -- I was on Bot by myself as Tryndamere vs Miss Fortune and that one melee guy with this shield and crystals (or something). That was fairly rough.

Seems like a fun game to get good at, though, and I've friends who play. Damned if I ever really know what items to build, though.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:57 pm UTC

So... URF mode was as lulzy as one would believe. with no mana costs and 80% CDR and attack speed/movement speed buffs everywhere... things were VILE. Fizz was among the top OP champs; he's either untargettable or dashing nonstop.

I ran support Maokai with an Ashe; between volley and sapling toss we zoned the enemy bot lane pretty easily. By lategame I could 1v1 anything (or peel like a boss) with permaroot/knockback, and with abilities being spammed on both sides the self healing from attacks was great. Our team ultimately lost, but it was fun. Most fights were decided by who acted first, because it usually meant stunlocky death.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:47 pm UTC

I haven't tried URF yet, but it seems like it might be fun for a game or 2.

Enokh,

The recommended items are generally spot on. You should be fine if you buy those.

elminster

Postby elminster » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:41 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:I would think kayle can carry super hard at bronze, just because you can do lots of aoe damage and people wont be smart enough to not try to kill you while you are invulnerable
Kayle is actually relatively worse in bronze than plat/diamond because people in bronze favour aoe cc/damage, which means saving 1 person isn't as useful. The utility of being able to save someone else is almost wasted on trying to save bronze players if you're the one trying to carry.
Also, there's almost no rating which people won't try kill you even with your ult on. It's only very short, so people will barely have time to react.

Got my smurf I had in gold 1 to plat 2 over the last 4 days; maybe diamond tomorrow. Going through the ratings it does seem more like poor decision making sets apart lower ratings to higher ones. Honestly people just doing stupid things or not the right things from a strategic point of view screws them over so much.

I don't know what's up with the URF matchmaking, but jesus-fkin-christ it's hardcore at times (Almost won). Since the rapid pace of it means you need more mechanics, I suck at it a bit more. Still really really fun though. It's obviously not very balanced though (I'm looking at you Hecarim).

I'm really liking what they done in 4.5, everything seems quite reasonable for once. Can't really say anything majorly negative about it, which is rare.

Ixtellor

Postby Ixtellor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

So I can't carry. Got promoted to Silver 1 and lost it on the same night.
My last two losses were on Kassadin where I started 8-0 and 7-0 + assists --- and still lost both games. I was roaming like crazy to other lanes.

Eliminsiter is right, its decision making. Sometimes I do dumb things. I have the horrible habit of rift walking onto people only to realize there were several enemies in the fog I couldn't see until I walked.
Or
I had a 50 Min game because my team was obsessed with killing the baron. We get an Ace --- kill the baron. We can't see the enemy -- -kill the baron.

I have had soo many games where we get a massive kill and the team splits into 2 groups 1 pushing for inhibs and 1 going for the baron --- then we all die.

I have learned that I have the best chance of carrying As garen because of his perfect mix of offense and defense. Volibear I can't do enough damage and Kassadin I can't tank enough.

Last rant: Split pushing --- nobody knows how to do it in silver league. I had a game where as Garen it took at least 3 enemies to kill me and stop a push --- so I would push, 3-4 would show up --- my team would do nothing but farm or be scared to dive a single champ on a tower with a 4-1 advantage. The most annoying silver player is the one who farms all game ---way to many people players at my rank do nothing but farm and refuse to go for objectives.

elminster

Postby elminster » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:14 pm UTC

I think people focus too much on kills. Kills should be seen as ways to remove pressure for taking objectives rather than the objective themselves. Sure gold is good, but that gold increases your death gold value and you might (probably will) just give it back to them. You can't give a baron buff or dragon or tower gold to enemy team without letting them take them.

Also, I wouldn't expect people to understand what to do when you're split pushing until you're playing with at least high plat. Essentially, you're playing solo by split pushing at low ratings, so it may or may not work. Really people should capitalize on the fact that they have to send so many to kill you, but most of the time silver/gold players just don't do anything. Even games are won/lost in LCS by splitpushing (Meteos in that game recently) where coast engaged rather than backing to deal with him, which lost them the game.

Just had a 1hour 5min game (We were playing about 27mins of it rest was almost all "attempting to reconnect") because EUW servers froze and essentially enemy minions finished it. I got a leaver mark for it.. in my promos to diamond (on my smurf) as well. Sigh... EUW fails hard sometimes.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:46 am UTC

elminster wrote:I think people focus too much on kills. Kills should be seen as ways to remove pressure for taking objectives rather than the objective themselves. Sure gold is good, but that gold increases your death gold value and you might (probably will) just give it back to them. You can't give a baron buff or dragon or tower gold to enemy team without letting them take them.

Your first kill after a series of deaths (more than assists) is expensive: It increases your value by a pile.
But after that, additional kills aren't worth much to the enemy team.
Your first kill increases your value by 60 gp.
Your second kill in a row increases your value by 72 gp.
Your third kill in a row increases your value by 68 gp.

Add another 50% to this because of assist (90, 108, 102 gp) split.

If you are fighting foes who (die-assist) 3 times between each kill (say 5 deaths, 2 assists), your additional marginal kill also takes ~40 gp from your allies (*1.5 for assists) costing your team 300 gp in lower income. That makes the lost income on your team and additional income to your foes as high as 400 gp, for a foe that is worth 450 to 264 gp (including money to your assist).

The penalty drops to 300 gp if you are already in a rampage.

So ya, if you are killing **modestly** gimpy foes, and you aren't in a rampage, the gp gain for your entire team is actually marginal!

If you are fighting solid foes (2-3 kills between each death), your income is higher, but the next player to get that kill would have gotten the bonus money. You reduce their take from what you got to ~275, then the next kill they get can also be eaten. (Again, if the foe is hitting rampages, this changes).

That is neat. So killing foes does cost them XP, and it does cost them minion-farming gold. But the apparent gold income really is more marginal than it looks!

It would be interesting to take a game with the kills/assists marked up, and see what happens to each side's income if we just remove a single kill (with all of its assists), and see which ones actually granted significant gold (and not just foe death-time), in a relatively even match. That would line up better than this theorycrafting.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Return to “Gaming”