League of Legends

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

yurell

Re: League of Legends

Postby yurell » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 am UTC

The new Nidalee is bloody horrifying to be up against a squishee. She jumps on you and there's absolutely no way to escape, and it takes her about two shots to kill you.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Pronouns: Feminine pronouns please!

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

I don't think she was really nerfed, just reworked. She still does a great deal of damage, just not from stupid high safety. The new spears are laughable with how little damage they do though. I only had to lane against one once and it was miserable. Her early damage is insane, and she seems great for picks, but her team fight offers almost nothing.

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 pm UTC

And that's how it should be. People were picking Nidalee because "lol I can press q!".
NieXS wrote:Oh god that smiley ruined it.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Mutex wrote:Enjoy the shoe!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

Weeks wrote:And that's how it should be. People were picking Nidalee because "lol I can press q!".

I like the idea of having a champion with crazy-high damage long range poke skillshots, but I don't think the rest of Nidalee's kit was very well suited to her being that champion. With her heal and incredibly good escape, her poke was just too safe.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:27 am UTC

I think Xerath is thus a suitable alternative. He has no mobility, but his poke is excellent.
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.

zylaczek11

Postby zylaczek11 » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:28 am UTC

I don't like Xerath because I think he isn't a powerfull character. I prefer some jungler, for example: WW, Xin zao or Rammus

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:01 pm UTC

Yeah, I think I would have rather they left Nidalee with poke. I think poke can be interesting strategically. I just think it also shouldn't exist with sustain, or on an extremely short CD, or on a champion who has one of the best escape kits in the game. But I think they change they made is 'easier' to do while keeping her thematically the same than leaving poke in and getting rid of the things that make her too safe.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:53 am UTC

I wouldn't call it a nerf, except in her safety factor. You can still get long range pickoff kills with spears, but they need to be lower health now, like 20% instead of 60%. I can still spear/trap a squishy, and take 80% of their health off in a pounce/swipe/takedown combo, but then she's in their team and subject to cc/damage.

I see her role now as similar to elise, a tanky assassin type, but with restrictions on targeting (unlike the melee assassins). That target restriction is there probably because of the usefulness of the rest of the kit, the heal mostly.

Taking advantage of the hunted debuff is interesting too, it seems the ideal, max damage combo is a long range spear, then blow flash to get close enough for the hunted buff to kick in and increase the pounce range. I could see some fun early game counterjungling from a lane nid also, if you know which buff they started, get level 2/3 fast and then drop a trap(or ward) in the other buff's bush and wait over the wall.

Speaking of jungle nid, viable now? I saw someone do it in a bot game, and she at least didn't die to camps. I imagine you'd need to get good at spears in order to get the gap closer off consistently.

elminster

Postby elminster » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:27 am UTC

Finally, after 2 seasons of saying it, the tower buffs almost exactly what I was describing they should do. I.e. more rapidly increasing % armor pen after 2 hits and faster ramping up damage.

Kayle nerfs... almost exactly what I expected to happen, but I didn't see the AS/level nerf coming. She's still going to be near the top win rates simply because her kit and exactly how her damage works, i.e. her utility is unchanged (which was high for a midlaner) and her damage quite heavily relied on items passives rather than her base stats in contrast to most mid laners (e.g. Nashors, Hurricane, on hit effects).

Nid buffed, considering that she was below urgot in win rate, kind of needed. However, I've heard and seen very different things from a lot of sources. No definitive answer yet, but definitely situationally (i.e. In/against some team comps) extremely strong, not so much on average.

Generally the rest of the changes are for the better. Quite a decent patch overall.

Went to the live EU LCS events at London Wembley arena, was pretty epic. Knew half the cosplayers there and got inspired to cosplay for the next big tourney. So, the most epic Kayle cosplay that will ever be made is incoming: fully motorized, microcontroller powered with sequences and audio, led lit wings/sword, just over 4m wingspan at full extension: Early pics of front/topdown views. Difficulty: Extreme.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:07 am UTC

Whoa...good luck with all that.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:21 pm UTC

I'm happy they're trying to make tanky junglers better, since tanks are generally what I prefer to play. Rammus remains probably my favorite champ, and I've been having a lot of fun with Warwick recently. Looking forward to see if Nautilus and Sejuani are helped by the new item at all.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:41 pm UTC

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 3/32956712

7-22 at the 15 minute mark

Edit: I was cait. Also, I didnt have ignite, how did I do true damage?

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

Stumbled upon this for tips on ARAM, very helpful.

Kag

Postby Kag » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:Edit: I was cait. Also, I didnt have ignite, how did I do true damage?

Red buff.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:00 am UTC

Ah, right.

I really wish you could set 3v3 queue to refuse all duo queues. Some quality duos ive had today.

1. Thresh + lee sin laning together. Not a problem, except they didnt mention this until after I took smite and bought a spirit stone.
2. Rengar + xerath premade. Rengar dies at level 1. At level 2 he cries that draven is tower diving him. A few minutes in, Draven is level 5 and 5/0/0. Everyone else is level 3, except rengar who is level 1. Game plays out as you might expect.
3. Singed + gragas. Gragas gives first blood "gg im afk" Singed then follows their team around spamming laugh

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:53 pm UTC

I guess I imagined that queuing duo in 3v3 matched you against other duo queues. Is that not how it works?

Yesterday after playing weeks of 3v3, I went back to summoner's rift for a few games with some friends, and boy, I forgot how much fun Leona was with a decent adc. Also realized I had Gragas, who I don't remember playing since a free week over a year ago, and tried him mid against a karthas. I really suck at using q in close range fights, I forget to detonate it, but still ended the game quite well in k/d. I think I'll be playing him more, I like the style. The only ap I had was liandries and IBG, with mpen boots, the rest was tank items, I felt like more of an ap offtank/bruiser, using ult and cc to protect our really fed diana jungle more than trying to kill someone.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:49 pm UTC

Biliboy wrote:I guess I imagined that queuing duo in 3v3 matched you against other duo queues. Is that not how it works?.

It doesnt, ive run into 3 man premades with no premades on my team before. Due to the quality of premades doing 3v3s, going against a premade 3 is often a free win; they get bonus mmr for matchmaking because of premade, and every time I have played against a 3-man, my team has just been so mechanically superior that it was a stomp.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm UTC

How long does it take for a 3v3 queue to pop? ARAM usually pops in about a minute.

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:04 am UTC

1.5min is usually the estimated time, but tends to pop at 45 sec or so. Ranked 3s might be far different though.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:33 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:1. Thresh + lee sin laning together. Not a problem, except they didnt mention this until after I took smite and bought a spirit stone.
2. Rengar + xerath premade. Rengar dies at level 1. At level 2 he cries that draven is tower diving him. A few minutes in, Draven is level 5 and 5/0/0. Everyone else is level 3, except rengar who is level 1. Game plays out as you might expect.
3. Singed + gragas. Gragas gives first blood "gg im afk" Singed then follows their team around spamming laugh

Aside from the first one, that doesn't sound like anything that couldn't have happened with just singles. But maybe I'm biased because I always play with a group, and some solo players like to blame all their problems on the 'group' (had one of those last night, 0-4 mid by level 7, all deaths to 1v1... but you know "shit group, useless jungler").

On the other hand, I pretty much refuse to do 3v3 without a group of 3, solely because I like to jungle, and I don't trust people to hold a 2v1 if it comes up, or even acknowledge that someone might jungle. And while I don't check to see if we're up against a group or whatever before the match starts, the times we run into an obvious group of solo players, it's usually an easy stomp because they can't coordinate at all. If you put any pressure on a single player, they crumble. But I do play mostly ranked 3v3 anyway (which averages around a 2 minutes queue for us).

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:05 pm UTC

It could all happen with singles, the point I was trying to make though is that duo and triple queues are very often mechanically as good as pidgeons, because of the mmr boost they get for being premade. I mean really, getting tower dived at level 2 by draven?

Biliboy

Postby Biliboy » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

Doom Bots of Dooooom!

Dat lux ult...

Unfortunately this mode hates the internet, and sends my ping to 3-4k at regular intervals, so I only got through the first two difficulties, not even going to try lvl 5.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:47 am UTC

Actually found Doom Bots II and V easier than Doom Bots I. Having to explain everything to new players is harder than playing around the AI.

Also the queue times are monstrous right now, took 8 minutes for me. Probably won't try again till tomorrow.

elminster

Postby elminster » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:03 am UTC

I like the idea of doom bots. 1 is pretty easy, same with 2. 5 is kinda hard, but no where near what I was expecting.
As expected there's so many abusable AI flaws they never fixed, which is a shame really. I wish they'd hire someone who can properly do it.

Edit: I might actually have a go at developing a bot AI if I can get Riot's interest in it. I'll definitely be developing a website for more advanced stats since every stats website gives general stats and ones that aren't so accurate. Given the expansion of the API, it's possible to deduce more interesting pieces of information that no site has at the moment. e.g. Success of invades with/against particular compositions at different ratings.
Riot's basic developer key only allows 1 request a second, so it's not really viable to do all ratings (Would take more than a month), but really I'm only interested in mid gold and above.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:07 pm UTC

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

Summer results.

I made it to my gold promo series 3 times, and failed all 3 times. All 3 series made it to game 5.

In one promo game a nunu on my team said it was his goal to get demoted, so he fed 17 straight kills to the enemy then quit. That was a game 5 must win.

I then went on an EPIC losing streak. During 1 stretch I had 5 leavers on my team in 7 games.
I had 4 intentional feeders over a 3 day period.

Last time I logged on I was Silver 3 with 10 or 0 LP.

Conclusion: Fun game, but the community ruins it.

Then... I got bored and made another account. Currently level 10.
I have noticed people afk or just leave a LOT. Also, tons of "smurfs" (although most are silver).

Not as toxic as ranked play, but still full of lots of verbal abuse.

I have been trying out new champs and builds. Currently trying to learn Jungle Udr --- very good at getting objectives solo and forcing the enemy team to split up. I can get negative KDA and still get wins just split pushing or suicide inhib/towering.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:00 am UTC

Gnar is so damn adorable aaaaaaaaaaargh

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:16 pm UTC

Just watched the semifinals, third place and finals of the NA LCS and oh my god it was so exciting. Well, half the semifinals were, the other half was a slaughter that was painful to watch (think llama vs freight train). But still, such bloody good games, best LoL I've watched in ages.
cemper93 wrote:Dude, I just presented an elaborate multiple fraction in Comic Sans. Who are you to question me?

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:34 pm UTC

Yeah, the last 3 games in the NA playoffs were incredible. Best LoL I've seen in at least a year.

The quarter finals of worlds are in Busan in a month, which is about an hour's drive from me. Last time I looked, tickets were still available. I really want to go, but my parents are visiting Korea from the UK, so I can't make it :cry:

yurell

Postby yurell » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:37 pm UTC

:( Exactly the wrong timing.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:40 am UTC

I was in the middle of watching game 2 of the finals when my internet shat itself, and was sad to find out after the fact about who won. Guess they'll both be good to watch at Worlds though.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 am UTC

http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends. ... 6/32956712

Take a guess at which player blamed which other player for losing the game.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:23 am UTC

Vayne obviously blamed Akali, since she kept getting assassinated.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:45 pm UTC

BlackSails wrote:http://matchhistory.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/#match-details/NA1/1531944246/32956712

Take a guess at which player blamed which other player for losing the game.

Whatever went wrong, it happened at about 16:30. And the CS on the other team's support was quite high by the end game (maybe after things went wrong).
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:24 pm UTC

Do supports exist in 3v3? It looks more like a kill lane to me - Blitz built Youmuu's and Triforce.

elminster

Postby elminster » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:26 pm UTC

Tbh, I'd say your team comp was just bad vs theirs.
Akali has high burst + Stealth, you have all squishies. Kayle can ult against any of your single target damage (Mostly vayne/Syndra). Blitz prevents you from easily sieging and, because you have no front line, it's difficult to prevent him from just running at you and their team nuking who ever gets grabbed.
Assuming equal skill, they had a far higher chance of winning.

Here's a good 3v3 Tier list: http://lol3v3.net/yaslooms-twisted-treeline-3v3-tier-list-gnar-era-patch-4-15/

Support champs are usually very good picks, it's mainly because supports tend to scale better with reduced gold income and provide CC. In a 3v3 being able to chain cc 1 squishier target effectively makes it a 2v3 for most of the fight. Also, being able to lock someone down before they escape means that usually you need better team cohesion to deal with it (It's harder to juggle damage taken against CC heavy teams).
That being said, you can't build them as pure support else your team will simply lack damage and/or risk losing more than 1/3 of your damage if someone other than the support gets nuked.

Not played much ranked recently, mostly just been playing to avoid decay; largely been working on mentioned costume. Got 2 accounts at Dia4 and 1 at Plat3 at the moment. When I get around to it, I'll probably try power straight to D1. I really need to expand my champion pool for 5v5 ranked and tourney play though, struggling vs people I'd crush in solo queue, but I'm more of a soloq player anyway.
Won a 1v1 tourney the other day, 3k RP. Rather funny that the top seeded D1 player on his main got knocked out by a gold 5.
Got disqualified from another tourney after they found out I was on a smurf, didn't matter since I joined at the last minute anyway and it was rather obvious it was a smurf (~76% win rate playing only 1 champ).

Ixtellor
There are like 4 posters on XKCD that no more about ...

Postby Ixtellor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:20 pm UTC

Been playing Udyr almost exclusively using Godyr - Madstones.

1) I can solo dragon during the 7th min.
2) I have been getting a ton of objectives and have no problem suiciding for a tower or inhib.
3) I have a positive win rate on him, and it would be much higher but in my 20ish games with him a LOT of intentional feeders. So I feel my personal Strategy of "ignore my team and get objectives" has been working out very well, with 1-2 exceptions where I should have followed them into a battle.
I frequently have full build around 30-35 mins. I have finished almost every game #1 in CS, and on many occasions I have 100 more cs than #2.

My strategy worked so well (in mid Silver) that I was able to win a 4v5 and in another game I solo won a game after quad killing the enemy on my nexus, running and soloing their nexus.

4) Has anyone else noticed an insane number or trolls. It is common for someone to get their first death and declare "im feeding". The level of toxicity is observable much higher than it has been in the past --- and not just name calling --- intentionally trying to make the team lose. In one game My top died ONE time hugging his tower, so he blamed me and spent the rest of the game using all chat to tell the enemy where I was at all times --- even my team was way ahead and it was going to be an easy win...

Its insane and I hope the new auto bans start kicking in soon, because at mid silver its the wild west of hitler youth.

Edit: Lolking looks broken. It says I average 129 CS and 12 deaths on Udry which is absurd --- I average 100 Cs per 10 mins consistantly and have had 400 cs in some games and only like 2-3 games with less than 200.
The Revolution will not be Twitterized.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:45 pm UTC

So the C9 vs Alliance game played pretty much like one of those old CLG.eu games from two years ago. Slow as hell. Not *that* slow though.

I recommend checking out the Lol Esports page for vods to avoid spoilers.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:58 am UTC

The fnatic vs O.M.G. game in groups a couple of days ago was just ridiculous. I watched the VoD last night. Most exciting LoL game I've seen in a while. Group stages in general have been awesome thus far. I'm somewhat pessimistic that this level of quality will actually carry over into the playoffs, but maybe it can.
Spoiler:
fnatic were so close to winning - I'm sure one of them could've managed to get an extra hit on the nexus (the analysts afterwards seemed to think that Rumble using ult on the minion wave, then sticking with his minions would've done it). They looked absolutely devastated after losing that game. Half the team was in tears.

I've not finished watching the VoDs of the group matches yet, so spoilers for results and stuff if you want to discuss, please.

Weeks

Postby Weeks » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:53 am UTC

re: fnatic v omg,
Spoiler:
Very exciting match, and it's almost mind-boggling how close it was at the end. People were saying that if s0az bought a lichbane on Rumble that might have been the game. Overall though it seems s0az hasn't been that good.

Speaking of top laners, did you notice Gogoing go 5/0/15 on Ryze that game?

Groups C and D have been much, much more entertaining than the others. Today's matches were pretty good too. I haven't watched the SSB vs LMQ match but it seems it was really intense.

Return to “Gaming”