Video Games inducing Nausea

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

tastelikecoke

Video Games inducing Nausea

Postby tastelikecoke » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:52 am UTC

Following Randall's steps, I played Half Life 2. It was amazing and all and I was surprised, that's 7 years ago! Water reflection is something still lacking in other modern games. And physics fit perfectly. Everything was so fast paced! But that's the problem. When I play through the chapter "Water Hazard" I started having nausea. Just 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 and I'm about to puke. Some other games involving First Person Vehicle never made me nauseate, But even walking triggers nausea on Half Life 2. It's quite a different nausea though, It's like your heart beats too fast.

Is there anyone here having the same problem on Half Life 2 and other games?

headprogrammingczar

Re: Nausea ~on ~Half Life 2

Postby headprogrammingczar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:29 pm UTC

The only problem I have ever had with HL2 is the flaky release schedule of the sequels.
<quintopia> You're not crazy. you're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Weeks> You're the goddamn headprogrammingspock!
<Cheese> I love you

thicknavyrain
ThinkGravyTrain

Re: Nausea ~on ~Half Life 2

Postby thicknavyrain » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Well, I've never heard about that on Half Life 2 but...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/11/3/

To be fair, they did put in a dot in the middle of the screen to focus on to stop motion sickness.
RoadieRich wrote:Thicknavyrain is appointed Nex Artifex, Author of Death of the second FaiD Assassins' Guild.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Re: Video Games inducing Nausea

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Is there anyone here having the same problem on Half Life 2 and other games?
You may try adjusting the crosshairs, change the color, opacity, that sort of thing. I recall hearing somewhere that since it doesn't move and remains fairly static, this can cause motion sickness in some people.

That said, I can't recall if you're supposed to make it more solid or less solid, so... there's that. It's worth a try.

Me, I had a recent bout of this in a Fallout 3 Mod. The whole game, no problems.. I play this one mod (Cube) which is.. well, it's like the Cube films and Portal got together and had a baby and put it in Fallout 3. Anyway, the part where you go backstage has this texture on the wall that's very similar no matter what angle you're looking at, and it pretty much made me sick to the point where I ended up just turning on Noclip and getting through the levels so I could get the fuck out.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

rigwarl

Postby rigwarl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

I get motion sick when the sensitivity of the game isn't what I'm used to - only applicable for console games where you can't change it though.

Also, Metroid Prime on the Gamecube with that awful, uncustomizable lock on system that doesn't allow you to strafe/turn at the same time (I adjusted and finished the game anyway because it was awesome).

erk070

Postby erk070 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:26 am UTC

I didn't have this problem with Half Life, or any other first-person games, but Psychonauts on the PC gives me a killer headache and stomachache in minutes. I tried adjusting various video settings, but I couldn't ever fix it. I suspect it has to do with the third-person camera tracking, but I've given up on trying to play it.

EdgarJPublius
Official Propagandi.... Nifty Poster Guy

Postby EdgarJPublius » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:12 am UTC

I have a similar problem in some games, not quite sure what causes it. usually, puzzle based games give me major issues.
Interestingly, HL2 gave me a bit of a headache at times, but Portal didn't.
Roosevelt wrote:
I wrote:Does Space Teddy Roosevelt wrestle Space Bears and fight the Space Spanish-American War with his band of Space-volunteers the Space Rough Riders?

Yes.

-still unaware of the origin and meaning of his own user-title

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:03 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Following Randall's steps, I played Half Life 2. It was amazing and all and I was surprised, that's 7 years ago! Water reflection is something still lacking in other modern games. And physics fit perfectly. Everything was so fast paced! But that's the problem. When I play through the chapter "Water Hazard" I started having nausea. Just 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 and I'm about to puke. Some other games involving First Person Vehicle never made me nauseate, But even walking triggers nausea on Half Life 2. It's quite a different nausea though, It's like your heart beats too fast.

Is there anyone here having the same problem on Half Life 2 and other games?

I had the same thing during Water Hazard. Loved that bit but playing through the entire boat bit at once got me some motion sickness. Only game ever to do that.
Basically similar to watching Cloverfield in theatres for me. :D
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

Ubik

Postby Ubik » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

Half-Life 2 uses a narrower field of view than many other shooters. (75 degrees vs. 90 degrees according to a quick check.) It makes things look more natural because perspective is less exaggerated. I guess it increases chances of nausea because when you turn, things come and go through the viewport pretty fast so there isn't much you can focus on.

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 pm UTC

I got nausea from the Water Hazard part of HL2 as well.
Also, Spyro the Dragon for the PSX, though I blame that on the terrible camera. And Infiniminer, for whatever reason.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:20 pm UTC

Motion blur and depth of field effects tend to give me awful headaches in games. And I never play any game where I can't turn these effects off. And the newest wolfenstein game was absolutely awful for me in that sense.

Chicostick

Postby Chicostick » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm UTC

I can actually explain the motion sickness pretty easily. When you look quickly in a different direction in the real world, your brain momentarily shuts off your vision and makes you effectively "blind" for a fraction of a second. If you look all the way to the left with just your eyes and then all the way to the right really quickly, you can sort of see a "flash" of darkness. That's your brain shutting off your eyes so you don't get one huge blur.

However, when you're looking at a game, your eyes are stationary and your brain won't do this. In the game you are playing you can move quickly in one direction or another, and your vision won't turn off like it's used to and you'll see a blur of a bunch of images at once. For some people this is just a hard thing to handle, this is why lots of people got sick during cloverfield or get sick during games with lots of movement, because all that shaking and blurring is just incredibly abnormal. This sort of blurry vision has only come about with T.V. and games and the like.

I'm not sure how this knowledge can actually help you while you're playing a game though. There's no way to actually duplicate the temporary blindness in the game, and you can't really close your eyes when you move cause you'll get eaten by a zombie or blown up by that frigging helicopter that kept chasing you. I guess try to limit the amount of very rapid movements you make, and don't focus to hard on one thing?

I've never actually had this problem. I rarely get motion sickness even when on really rough boat rides, and I can spin around a lot and never really get dizzy enough to fall over or have trouble walking. T.V. and gaming have never given me a problem, even HF2 and other games with similar events. I'm not sure why, guess I'm just lucky :D

aion7
Location: In a base with which you identify, killing dudes to whose team you belong

Postby aion7 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:06 pm UTC

For a while I was feeling sick when playing Metroid Prime 3, but then I stopped having problems. I must have suddenly adjusted or something.
Spoiler:
Zeroignite wrote:And you have suddenly become awesome.

joshz wrote:Oh, you so win.

internets++ for aion7.

jerdak wrote:Nothing says hello like a coconut traveling near the speed of light.

TommyTumnus

Postby TommyTumnus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:43 am UTC

Chicostick wrote:There's no way to actually duplicate the temporary blindness in the game

Couldn't they just make it so the screen does something similar, like flashing black for a frame or two, when you move that rapidly?

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 pm UTC

I tend to have this problem in games where its a 3rd person view thats a bit too close up. Examples are Gears of War, Resident Evil 5 and just recently Divinity 2. Not sure what exactly causes the issues here. The only thing I can think of is the quick movement of the camera while something fairly large (your character) remains in the same relative spot on the screen. I found for Gears of War if I put the game in windowed mode and reduced the resolution so it only took up ~half of my 22" monitor it worked a LOT better. That helped a BIT in RE 5 but I still found that playing for longer periods of time would have me getting nauseous. Only installed Divinity 2 yesterday but the speed at which you can move the camera I think is the primary issue there. Going to try it again tonight and see if I can fix it.

Its odd though. I play WoW for extended periods of time and dont have even remotely the same issues, even if I zoom in a lot on my character (so that its taking up a large portion of the screen). It may have something to do with it not necessarily being an over the shoulder camera.

sgchr

Postby sgchr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

tastelikecoke wrote:Following Randall's steps, I played Half Life 2. [...] When I play through the chapter "Water Hazard" I started having nausea. Just 10 minutes of Half-Life 2 and I'm about to puke.

I get nauseous if I play the old Half-Life for more than half an hour. I think it's because I wear glasses and I strongly recommend you to do an eye exam as soon as possible.
Games I play now & having fun. DON'T CLICK! You will become addicted, like me.

RAKtheUndead

Postby RAKtheUndead » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

Interestingly, the only game that has ever induced nausea for me is not a fast-paced game at all. It's the original Breath of Fire for the SNES, and I have no defined idea why it made me feel that way (although I hypothesise that it was something to do with the battle interface; there was something about it that wasn't quite right).
"The outright rejection of technology cripples the otherwise educated mind." - RAK

Nemiro

Postby Nemiro » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:33 am UTC

Although I personally suffer only irritation and difficulty in engaging the enemy - Alien story in Alien vs Predator, in any confined space, with auto-transition on. I suspect that could well be worse than Mirrors Edge for some people (although Mirrors Edge was fine for me). Any of you guys play it yet? Thoughts?
Joshua wrote:GREETINGS, PROFESSOR FALKEN.

Spam here please

TheAmazingRando

Postby TheAmazingRando » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Now that I think of it, the worst nausea I ever got from a game was Myst 3: Exile. Made it through the whole game no problem (both because it didn't make me nauseous and because it was way too easy), got to the last age (forget what it was called, lots of giant marbles and tracks) and couldn't play it more than 5 minutes without having to go lie down. I don't think I ever finished it.

Jar'O'Jam

Postby Jar'O'Jam » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm UTC

What, we're almost 20 posts in and no-one has made a joke about games that are so bad they make you puke ?

But keeping with the topic, I don't think I can remember a single game that got me nauseous. Although it could've been that I just didn't notice a slight dizziness when I was busy playing.
Agronica - my musical outlet for the past couple of years - give it a listen at Soundcloud

Phoenix112358

Postby Phoenix112358 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:29 am UTC

I got sick playing Portal for extended periods. Actually, a lot of FPS'es I find do that to me. But Portal is just one in particular because your orientation can suddenly change and it's a bit disorienting. I had to stop every couple minutes and look away from the screen...

el_loco_avs

Postby el_loco_avs » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:48 am UTC

I have a buddy that just can't play FPS'es since Doom started with the bobbing. :mrgreen:
You go your way.
I'll go your way too.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon May 03, 2010 1:17 am UTC

DDO for some reason. There's no motion blur, and it even uses the same engine as LOTRO which I play all the time without a problem! I think it's just the design. The colors are all a bit weird, and all the characters are ugly as hell.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Woopate
Scrapple

Postby Woopate » Sat May 08, 2010 1:18 pm UTC

Mirror's Edge caused me to get nauseous whenever I dropped off a building looking straight down. Same with Assassin's Creed II (but not the original) whenever I did one of the HUGE leap of faiths.

tropetastic

Postby tropetastic » Sat May 08, 2010 2:48 pm UTC

Zork got me pretty motion sick once. Aha jk, the only game that's ever given me a headache was Mario Tennis on Virtual Boy.

Anyway, the depth of field/motion blur thing is why some people get sick during 3D movies as well.

Return to “Gaming”