Master of Orion II

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Ryom

Re: Master of Orion II

Postby Ryom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

WarDaft wrote:So, I played this game for the first time a mere 15 years after it was released. I quickly became enamored of it.

And I have to say, I can hardly stand not going Creative, and I'm not completely convinced that it's not entirely psychological. I appear to have an interesting take on it though, as I go Uni+Prod2+Creative, rather than pairing it with a research oriented race - though the lack of moral boosts does mean I don't get quite get full advantage of Creative, it's got absolutely insane production. Gaia Transformation is equivalent to the pop bonus from tolerant, Creative can always deal well with pollution, and you can manufacture large/huge worlds. I had one world after 10% tax producing over 1000 production per turn, and it wasn't even rich.

I've heard about waiting for games to hit the bargain bin before buying... but geez!

Consider subterranean as a perk too...

WarDaft

Postby WarDaft » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:28 pm UTC

Subterranean would indeed be better later, but it would cut early game production substantially... Uni/+2 prod allows even poor worlds to be highly effective colonies.
All Shadow priest spells that deal Fire damage now appear green.
Big freaky cereal boxes of death.

nowfocus

Postby nowfocus » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:03 pm UTC

I don't think creative really helps you out much there. Why do you really need it? With Uni/Prod+2, your production is going to be incredible sure, but you'll need to tech up to pollution processor really early which gets you awesome missile ships. To complement those, you'll want those ships to be more effective, either through the ability to build lots of them (warlord), or a massive speed boost so they can blitz enemies (trans-dimensional), or the ability to quickly convert planets and avoid troop ships (telepathic).

Now I'm smiling thinking about my unification/telepathic/trans dimensional games. Unification to churn out a quick missile battle ship, trans dimensional to out maneuverer the enemy ships and push that advantage, telepathic so I didn't need to build troop ships and the instant population conversion. It lets you leverage other races positive traits on top of your awesome government.
Jahoclave wrote:Besides if you observe romance, you change the outcome. Especially if you put his/her friend Catherine in a box.

Menacing Spike wrote:Was it the copper hammer or the children part that caused censoring?

Return to “Gaming”