Final Fantasy XIV

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Agent Foxtrot

Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Agent Foxtrot » Tue May 11, 2010 2:33 pm UTC

So, unless you've been living under a rock, you would know that Square-Enix is currently Alpha-testing its newest MMORPG, Final Fantasy XIV. I've been an FFXI player since 2003, and I'm psyched. I just hope that SE has learned from its mistakes from FFXI, such as its favoritism towards Japanese players or the treatment of gil-sellers.

Supposedly, they did learn their lesson on one front: solo play and community play will be balanced. You'll no longer need an alliance of 18 people just to get one item. I think that's what excites me the most.

Is anyone else looking forward to playing it?

Mishrak

Re: Final Fantasy XIV

Postby Mishrak » Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

I applied for a beta,I hope I get one. I never played XI, so I'm not really sure what to expect from a Square-Enix MMORPG, but if they can make it rise to the level that Blizzard has set, we're in for a fun ride.

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Tue May 11, 2010 8:38 pm UTC

Where does one apply for a beta for the PS3 version?
Signatures are for chumps.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Tue May 11, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

I've apparently been living under a rock. But I'm fairly sure I opted to live there (at least with regards to FFXIV when I heard it was going the MMO route).

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Wed May 12, 2010 4:56 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:I've apparently been living under a rock. But I'm fairly sure I opted to live there (at least with regards to FFXIV when I heard it was going the MMO route).

Yeah, it just means that much longer the sane people will have to wait for the next "real" installment. FFXV... wow.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:19 pm UTC

Sweet christ i'm old. I can actually remember looking forward to (and being disappointed by) Final Fantasy VII. I first got into the franchise with Final Fantasy IV. Now we've gone through all these other games.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Wed May 12, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Sweet christ i'm old. I can actually remember looking forward to (and being disappointed by) Final Fantasy VII. I first got into the franchise with Final Fantasy IV. Now we've gone through all these other games.

Pfft. I remember being excited by NHLPA 93 (it was NHLPA rather than NHL that year for whatever reason). Now they're on 2011!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed May 12, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Spambot5546 wrote:Sweet christ i'm old. I can actually remember looking forward to (and being disappointed by) Final Fantasy VII. I first got into the franchise with Final Fantasy IV. Now we've gone through all these other games.

FFVI (3 - SNES) was my first one. I remember seeing someone with some pre-release art for FFVII and thought it was really impressive. I bought the PS1 specifically for FFVII.

I also remember playing Madden 1997/98 :P

Shadic

Postby Shadic » Thu May 13, 2010 10:15 am UTC

I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get into the beta, but I applied anyways.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:04 pm UTC

Anyone on xkcd try the beta? I only know a handful of people from ffxi that got a beta and they haven't been too talkative about it.

Spambot5546

Postby Spambot5546 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

Most betas require signing an Non-Disclosure Agreement so they likely can't tell you much.
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."

New User

Postby New User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 pm UTC

What happens if you break the agreement? I mean, I imagine if they find out then you'll lose your beta privileges, but does anyone really know?

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:36 pm UTC

Well it probably depends on how you break it. If you just casually talk about it to your friend, it's probably not a big deal because they likely won't even know you did it. But if you (or that friend) post it on the internet, write a blog about it, leak it to the gaming press, make youtube videos, etc, you'll probably lose your beta privileges. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some legal action written into the NDA for extreme situations, but I can't be certain about that.

Obby

Postby Obby » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:53 pm UTC

Mishrak wrote:Well it probably depends on how you break it. If you just casually talk about it to your friend, it's probably not a big deal because they likely won't even know you did it. But if you (or that friend) post it on the internet, write a blog about it, leak it to the gaming press, make youtube videos, etc, you'll probably lose your beta privileges. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was some legal action written into the NDA for extreme situations, but I can't be certain about that.

Most NDAs do indeed have language in them about the company being able to claim damages against an individual for breach of their NDA. I have never heard of anyone actually being prosecuted for this, though.
The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:55 pm UTC

Yeah I always thought of those as your basic EULA where the company reserves rights to make your life hell if they have to. They probably wont, even if you break the EULA, but they reserve the right to!

Endless Mike

Postby Endless Mike » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:39 pm UTC

It probably depends on the circumstances. Posts on a small forum will likely get, at most, the account banned. Information published on a website or in a magazine might have some legal repercussions, though.

Lucrece

FFXIV (The "New" FF MMO)

Postby Lucrece » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:18 am UTC

This is more of a warning thread.

Having played the Closed and Open Beta, I just want to say: Save yourself the trouble of downloading the client if you haven't continued to play FFXI.

This is a repackaged FFXI with prettier graphics and the same abhorrent UI and controls. Same JRPG online console game feel with the grind, sans the meaty storyline support and smooth progression of the actual console game.

It's pretty, but it's shit. Pretty Asian shit. You know, that crap stunt Asian developers try to fool a western audience into thinking they've modified their Asian grindfest for a western market, but it's all smokes and mirrors with a whole lot of outdated play.

A game with cutting edge graphics for a MMO, but a gameplay and UI that feels 8-10 years old. And anyone looking at the PC version should know that this game is designed for PS3 interaction; they just threw out a shoddy compromise to make it "functional" (as in, make you want to throw your PC off the window "functional).

It has a software mouse instead of a hardware one ffs. Enough said.

Still, pretty music, cutscenes, RP, and graphics. But for that I'll buy an actual console FF game without the monthly fee for playtesting their wildly unfinished product.

It's as if the MMO genre has been overrun by NcSoft demon spawns that have dragged down the overall quality in hopes of riding the WoW coattails that has mainstreamed the genre.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

Return to “Gaming”