DF Succession 3.1

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Swivelguy

DF Succession 3.1

Postby Swivelguy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:57 pm UTC

DF Succession 3.0 never really got rolling, so I'm gonna start a new round from scratch.

The version of Dwarf Fortress to be used is 0.31.08, which is at the time of this writing the most current release
Update notes | Windows direct download link

For those (like me) who can't live without it, Dwarf Therapist version 0.5.5 was just released and natively supports DF 0.31.08. Windows direct download link

I will be using DF with no modifications other than a custom tileset. It's my understanding that the choice of tilesets, or the choice to use graphical mode doesn't have any impact on the save files, so everyone is free to use whatever makes them most comfortable. Using a version with modified raws, like Mayday's graphical version, will probably not work however.

Rules
1. You turn lasts from Granite 1 to Granite 1 of the following year.
2. In d_init.txt turn on AUTOSAVE:YEARLY and AUTOSAVE_PAUSE:YES to easily make the game save at exactly new years.
3. After your predecessor posts their savefile, please respond ASAP to acknowledge that you know it's your turn and you are beginning. If you don't post anything within 3 days, your turn will be skipped.
4. After beginning your turn, try to finish your year within a week. Taking a little longer is okay, but you must post within a week saying you're taking an extension.
5. You are encouraged to post some updates during your turn, to keep future and past overlords informed on the progress of the fort.
6. If you want another turn, just say so, after you've finished your current turn, and I'll tack you onto the end of the list. In other words, you can only be on the "future turns" list once.
7. You may use whatever population cap you like, up to 150. A population of ~150 can provide plenty of mayhem, plenty of firepower, and enables all nobles (as far as I know).
8. Please do not intentionally sabotage the fortress too much.

If you want to participate, post here and I'll update this post with the list:

Participants
1. Swivelguy - Finished
2. Levi - Finished
3. nbonaparte - Finished
4. savanik - Finished
5. StrengthInFaith - Finished
6. Keldaran - AFK, Delayed
7. Makorsha - AFK, Delayed
8. MisterCheif - Delayed
9. lowbart - Delayed
10. Frogman - In Progress
11. Swivelguy
12. savanik
13. NieXS
Last edited by Swivelguy on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:04 am UTC, edited 17 times in total.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Levi

Re: DF Succession 3.1

Postby Levi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:10 pm UTC

I'm in. My request is that the fortress be built in an embark area that includes a human/elven village.

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 pm UTC

I'm interested.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

savanik

Postby savanik » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:09 pm UTC

Yo, I'm in! No embark requirements. I do like myself some trees, but I will find ways to manage without them.

Sav (who just recently figured out how Arsenal Dwarves work, or more appropriately, how they do not)

P.S. Init.txt - should we have any population caps or whatnot for migrants, or should we crank them up to 'wide open'?
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:25 pm UTC

I'll take spot 4. I would like to see population limited to 100 or 150, though.

So, if we do embark on a town, who's going to collapse it?
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:31 pm UTC

What would you all think of having the population cap be equal to 10x the number of the turn we're on? So, the first person plays with pop cap = 10, the next with pop cap = 20, and so on? This would mean some players probably won't get any immigrants at all, if previous years got waves of >10.

The other option would be to just let everyone do whatever they like.

As for embarking on a settlement, I've never done it before. Do the humans/elves interact with you at all, or just pretend you're not there? Does anything special happen when that civ sends a caravan?

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:26 pm UTC

I think they pretty much ignore you. They might fight back if you attack them, but I've never done it before myself.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

goblin towers won't attack you until you get invaded by goblins. It probably works the same way if you're at war with elves or humans.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:49 am UTC

Im down for turn 3 or 4

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 pm UTC

I'm interested, if there's still room.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:36 pm UTC

Okay, I've put up a list of overlords in the first post. I gave the people that requested a specific slot their choice, and put everyone else in the order of posting. Hopefully that's acceptable to everyone.

I'll gen a world today and embark on a human village, hopefully near some other terrain, and hopefully with trees, water, and sand. I guess I'll pick fairly standard starting dwarves: miner/miner/mason/carpenter/farmer/etc. I'll have the population cap at 30 for the first year, but that probably won't matter.

I don't want to be a hardass, but these won't stay fun if it gets bogged down waiting for the next person to get moving, so here's a few more rules to keep it going smoothly:

- After your predecessor posts their savefile, please respond ASAP to acknowledge that you know it's your turn and you are beginning. If you don't post anything within 3 days, your turn will be skipped.

- After beginning your turn, try to finish your year within a week. Taking a little longer is okay, but you must post within a week saying you're taking an extension.

- If you want another turn, just say so, after you've finished your current turn, and I'll tack you onto the end of the list. In other words, you can only be on the "future turns" list once.

- You may use whatever population cap you like, up to 150. A population of ~150 can provide plenty of mayhem, plenty of firepower, and enables all nobles (as far as I know).

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:42 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:As for embarking on a settlement, I've never done it before. Do the humans/elves interact with you at all, or just pretend you're not there? Does anything special happen when that civ sends a caravan?
It's best to think of them as a "Volunteer" army for when ambushes and invasions start up. They buy you some extra time, and since some of them can actually fight, it's a low-level speedbump.

You can't rely on them forever, and shouldn't PLAN your defenses around them, but you should take them into account.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote: and shouldn't PLAN your defenses around them

that actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:18 pm UTC

I've found a fairly interesting site to begin. We've got a river running north-south, with tributaries feeding into it from each side, the west one via a 2-z-level waterfall. A human settlement occupies the northwest corner of the embark map. The humans appear to have attempted to build a bridge over the river, but their engineering falls short of dwarven:

bridge.jpg
Picture of failbridge.

Having finally arrived at the banks of the mighty river Speechbar, the seven founders of the fortress Mirrorboard are:

- Litast and Lorbam, aspiring miners
- Aban, a woodcutter who knows how to handle himself
- Sibrek, an herbalist whose cooking is also... edible. She has been designated as the leader of the expedition
- Shem, the mason
- Kol, the carpenter
- Kikrost, the doctor, who is also serving as the broker, bookkeeper, and manager of Mirrorboard

The first orders of business will be:
- To unload the wagon and safely store possessions underground
- To provide comfortable lodging and a location for gathering
- To tap the river for a source of clean, fresh water

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 am UTC

5th Granite: Digging of the fort has begun, and immediately we've hit bituminous coal in what is going to become the main hall for now. That should come in handy later.

17th Slate: Digging of some basic chambers and 7 bedrooms has completed. The wagon has been deconstructed and all items except wood logs are stored underground. After everyone gets a nice break and a cold drink, I'll have them start piling up some of this excess rock in a corner to tidy the place up.

4th Felsite: Onec Kalseiohu, a human child, has positioned himself near the entrance to our fort. He looks harmless... so far...

7th Felsite: There isn't much for a doctor to do these days besides haul stone, so I've got Kikrost cranking out some amateurish stonecrafting to keep him busy.

22nd Felsite: I've build a trade depot and started hooking up some plumbing. I think it won't flood the fortress. Also, I've sent Sibrek outside to start gathering some more food.

11th Hematite: Aban has gone on break. He has decided to spend his break watching Shem sleep. A little creepy.

13th Hematite: The cat has adopted Sibrek.

14th Malachite: All these rivers might make it hard for a caravan to reach us, depending which side it comes from. I'll have to work on building some mega-bridges, or just tunnel under it. I already put a simple bridge over one of the small tributaries, but the west half of the map is still blocked off. One easy approach would be to finish the partial bridge the humans started.

21st Malachite: Three migrants have arrived! They are Avuz, a farmer, though merely a novice in butchery, tanning, and milking; Rakust, a talented fish dissector and proficient clothier; and Zas, an adequate mason.

28th Malachite: The plumbing system is finally complete! We now have a fresh water reservoir in our fortress, and I did it without drowning anyone. For future overlords, there is a note (accessed by pressing N) right next to the levers that control it, with instructions on how to flood/not-flood the fortress.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:07 pm UTC

I suppose I will sign up for turn 8, but if it seems that it will fall during a vacation, drum major academy, or band camp, I will let you know to push my turn back.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:16 am UTC

24th Galena: I'm finishing the bridge the humans left, in case a caravan comes on the west half of the map. I'm doing it in the quickest and most material-efficient way possible, so I'd encourage a successor to replace it with something better looking when time permits.

3rd Limestone: Because Rakust is such a good clothier, I'm having Avuz start a little rope reed farm outside by a muddy pool. For now, it'll just make rope reed all year, as gathering is easily handling our food and drink needs. I like above-ground farming better than cave farming, so that's what I'm doing. I still haven't really come up with a job for Zas. I'm thinking if a caravan shows up with any good weapons (warhammer please!) and/or armor, he'll become a military dwarf.

10th Limestone: Puppies!! Let's drop a cage somewhere to keep them safely out from underfoot.

28th Limestone: I've decided to have Zas start getting some metal production going with the coal and limonite lying around.

4th Sandstone: Well, I'll let this screenshot speak for itself.
cavern.jpg
That's a very shallow cavern! It was just underfoot all this time. So much for exploratory mining. I'm gonna seal up that stairs I just dug ASAP so we don't get any nasties we can't handle.

21st Sandstone: Three more migrants have arrived, and these guys are skilled. Population: 13 now. Still no caravans.

I'll finish up the rest of year 1 tomorrow.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:36 pm UTC

This post is a big wall of text, and once you get to the end you may regret reading it all, so feel free to skip right to the end (24th Obsidian) if you want.

21st Sandstone: So, the new immigrants are:
- Eshtan, a better woodcutter than Aban has become
- Urist, a talented brewer
- Tosid, a talented thresher and an okay swordsdwarf

I think this means Aban and Tosid can become a full-time militia. I've never made a real militia in DF2010, so I'm gonna try to puzzle it out, build them a barracks, and see if I can get them sparring with some wooden training weapons.

15th Timber: The dwarven caravan has arrived!

20th Timber: I sent the caravan off with a ton of stone crafts, and in exchange got some nice food and drink, and a bunch of leather with which I don't plan to do anything soon.

2nd Moonstone: Native platinum! Yay!

16th Moonstone: Well, I can't get Tosid to spar, but Aban spars, alone. He's gained some points of Axedwarf and Fighter. I also can't get Aban to stop carrying his old tree-cutting battle axe, even after I dumped it from his inventory (then later un-forbid it). He's carrying both a wooden training axe (which is in his uniform) and the battle axe (which isn't). Maybe it's a good thing that Tosid isn't sparring with him, or he might lose some limbs.

18th Moonstone: The rivers and pools outside are frozen! Brrr.

22nd Moonstone: Kikrost has created the fort's first masterpiece, a rock salt bracelet! Whoo!

16th Opal: Whoops! I discovered some more caverns while trying to dig past the first caverns I discovered. In the process, Lorbam seems to have fallen out the bottom of the tunnel (I dug into the roof of a 2-z-level high cavern) and broken both of his upper legs. I'm gonna try to rescue him, but i'll have to dig/construct some stairs first.

24th Opal: Lorbam has managed to drag himself to the hospital. I guess nobody came to help him because he wasn't officially unconscious. Kikrost is suturing him up.

9th Obsidian: Lorbam is up and walking around, putting stuff in stockpiles, with both of his legs still broken but splinted.

12th Obsidian: The forgotten beast Pob Shonethrushan has come! A towering blob composed of steam. It has an enourmous sehll and it has a bloated body. It's down in the underground caverns, and very shortly after arriving wandered back out into the unexplored part. I'm 98% certain that the fort is properly sealed off from the caverns.

20th Obsidian: 7 Goblins have ambushed us, being spotted just outside the fort entrance. I'm stationing Aban and Tosid at the fortress entrance. Aban has gotten quite good with his axe, but Tosid never managed to actually train. This could be ugly.

The goblins immediately slaughtered the human child which had still been loitering outside our fortress entrance. Poor guy.

21st Obsidian: In case Aban and Tosid don't pull through in this engagement, I'm having the rest of my dwarves seal the fortress behind them as quickly as possible.

I see a minor snag in my military plan: "The swordsdwarf stabs the goblin pikeman in the right hand from behind with his *ashen training sword*, but the attack is deflected by the goblin pikeman's ({iron right gauntlet})!" Not exactly effective weaponry I've got on him.

... Aban has been struck down. The construction of my wall has failed because the civilians trying to build it were too scared of the nearby goblins. My next effort will be to remove some stairs, sealing the fortress off that way. I hope I have time, but I somewhat doubt that I will.

22nd Obsidian: 2 of the 4 staircases are removed. Tosid has been struck down, as well as Kol (our carpenter).

23rd Obsidian: Litast (the uninjured miner) has been struck down. I've drafted all remaining dwarves into a squad to try to take down the one goblin which is now in the main fortress. The plan to remove staircases has failed.

24th Obsidian: The goblins are now inside the fortress en masse. Our strength has been broken. So... there you have it - I didn't even make it a year! These DF2010 goblins are pretty nasty.

I think we should proceed by having Levi pick a new site and start fresh from there. I would recommend something other than my approach of completely neglecting defenses and traps in the first year! If the consensus prefers that I start over and play it safe this time, we can do that too, but it'll mean a few more days of waiting while I play the first year again.

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:05 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:I think we should proceed by having Levi pick a new site and start fresh from there. I would recommend something other than my approach of completely neglecting defenses and traps in the first year! If the consensus prefers that I start over and play it safe this time, we can do that too, but it'll mean a few more days of waiting while I play the first year again.

That sounds good to me. As a note:

When you broke into the caverns, all of the trees, materials, and wealth present down there were added to the fortress's totals. The goblin soothsayers (the AI) saw this and scheduled early raids. In other words: The dwarves mined too greedily, and too deep.

Mountains are handy for not breaking into caverns too early before you have a good military set up. :)

Sav

[EDIT] P.S. Digging out Native Platinum and having craftdwarves cranking out masterpieces probably didn't help, either. Minimize the wealth of your fortress for long-term survivability.
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:20 pm UTC

That seems undwarvenly.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:23 pm UTC

Hey I lost, it was fun. I knew I was taking a gamble, praying for no trouble in the first year. Unfortunately, that gamble didn't pay off.

Anyway, Levi, I guess you're up. Let us know if you have no objections to starting a fresh embark.

Levi

Postby Levi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:55 pm UTC

I will get started today.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:23 pm UTC

I'd like to be added to the queue.
yeah yeah yeah

makorsha

Postby makorsha » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:41 am UTC

I'd like to join as well :-)

Levi

Postby Levi » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:15 pm UTC

Sorry this has taken so long, but I should be able to finish it in a day or two now. I forgot to date the letters :oops: . It's almost the end of summer.

Apparently this is a fortress of misfits. Half the dwarves are socially inept and the other half have no empathy.

Letters from the exiled Duke Levi to his wife:
I've arrived at Asobaned with six other members of my court. Three of them left with me, Id Akrulstizash, úshrir Tegirlimul, and Tekkud Rithom, and the other joined me on the road, a happy surprise: Sigun Mistemrithlut, Solon Uzarushat, and Aban Tunominod (my dearest friend, the doctor).
The human town we were exiled to has offered us refuge on the second floor of their castle. We accepted with gratitude, though it makes me nauseous, being aboveground, especially up in the air! Sometimes I find it hard to sleep up there, but at least it is warm, and the stone floor more comfortable than the ground. These humans… How I long to be allowed underground! And their vermin! There are so many!

Vermin.png
Stinking rats.

I do not understand how they can live like this. Ah, well, I suppose it is only just punishment.
How has life been at home since I left? I hope that you are being treated well. Do not leave my wealth unused if you have need of it.

Love,
Levi

A snowstorm sprung up a few days ago. I felt terrible for Aban. He stayed out there chopping down trees all day even in this miserable weather. I wish we had more axes. The doctor is doing a wonderful job, but we will need a lot of wood. Thanks to his tireless efforts (and a little craftsdwarfship from Sigun) we now have a few tables. Soon we will have beds, but we will need more wood in order to create partitions in this castle. They built it with nothing but outer walls! What savages. They will not even allow us to borrow their beds while we work to make our own.
Life here is not easy, but I find the work refreshing. At my court I signed papers and sat in my throne all day, but out here I work. It is nice to be close to the earth, even if I am not allowed under it.

Love,
Levi

I found the strangest thing today. I was looking down into a pool which had turned to ice (it was a part of the human temple) and a small mound on the ice caught my eye. It was an anthill! Can you believe it? The ants had dug out a network of tunnels in the ice! I wanted to watch them, but I had other duties to attend to. Perhaps later I will be able to examine them more closely.

Ants.png
I forgot to take a picture while the water was still frozen. Apparently they're magical ants.
Ants.png (11.21 KiB) Viewed 4643 times

Love,
Levi

The snow has melted away! All of our water is still covered in ice, but now the flowers are out and the trees are green! Our work shall be much more pleasant without snow to wade through and cold to bear. I hope things are going as well for you at home.
I apologize for the shortness of my letters, but there is work that must be done in order to make this place a comfortable abode.

Love,
Levi

Work has continued. We have managed to put up some walls and Aban is becoming quite the expert logger. We have plenty of wood now. Everyone has a nice, roomy bedroom. Solon has taken some of the extra logs and is using them to make these beautiful wooden crafts which we might be able to trade for supplies when the next batch of merchants visits the town. I've asked him to make a figuring of you and I'll send it along with this letter. His work really is quite good.

Figure of a Dwarf.png

We're going to flood the farm tomorrow. The fields are plowed and drainage has been dug; all that's left is to wet the ground. Tekkud is going to dig a channel from the pond. Wish us luck!
The humans have been milling around, watching us work. I've chatted with some of them and they aren't that bad, once you get to know them. Most of us have gotten used to the smell by now, but Takkud's nose is really sensitive, so he has some trouble sometimes.

Love,
Levi

Flooding the fields went more smoothly than I've ever seen a flooding go before. Tekkud's a real engineering genius. I only hope that we haven't waited too long to plant the Plump Helmets. I'd not like asking for help from the humans, but if it's the only way to get food and alcohol, I can't put my and my friends' lives above my pride. Other than that, things have been uneventful.
Thank you for the cookies! They were delicious! Everyone enjoyed them (Id ate FIVE of them).

Love,
Levi

Aban and úshrir have gotten together.

Aban and úshrir.png
Bow chicka wow wow

I'm glad Aban has finally found someone. I wasn't sure it was possible (you remember the incident in the dining hall).

Nerd.png
Neeeeeeeeeerd
Nerd.png (8.75 KiB) Viewed 4643 times

We've borrowed some of the chairs that the villagers don't use for our dining hall. Wooden furniture is not always the most comfortable, but at least the human craftsmen are not unskilled and it will only be until we get through the aquifer and can obtain some stone.

Love,
Levi

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with the other women of the court. I hope you are able to resolve it, but for now I will try to take your mind off it by telling you about what has been happening out here. With just the seven of us, we've had plenty to do. We've still not gotten around to dragging the chairs the humans gave us into our dining hall. I wish the humans would help us, but they just stand around and get in the way. It feels crowded even in this huge castle the humans built.
The crops are beginning to grow. It seems that we did plant them early enough. We are running low on food, but we should have enough to last us 'till the harvest. Life is going pretty well out here.

Love,
Levi

Migrants! A caravan of four wandering dwarves has found our village and wants to join us. I've put them to work, but I fear they might use up our food supplies and we may go hungry before the harvest. I do not want to send the newcomers away, but I might be forced to. I had hoped that decisions like these would not have to be made now that I no longer rule.

Love,
Levi

The migrants are sleeping in one of the human apartments. We're doing pretty well, even with the four extra mouths to feed. When I was examining the human food stores to see how much they had (in case we ran out) I found that they eat the most profane things, things so terrible that I cannot mention them for fear they might upset you. The humans did not seem bad to me at first, but under the surface they are savages!

Love,
Levi

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:07 pm UTC

haha, urist mcnerd. nice.

savanik

Postby savanik » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:28 am UTC

Dang, Toady's really cranking out the updates, we can't even get a full turn round in at the rate he's going. :)

Are we going to be upping to the new DF version? Or should we just start another group? (We might want to, with the amount of people we've got in the thread!)

Sav

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:09 am UTC

I say, test to see if saves are compatible then if not, stick with this version, it shouldn't to much of an issue to have 2 games going at once either if thats what people would prefer.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Levi, are you still working on the fort? Check in if you're still around, please.

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 am UTC

I won't be able to do my turn next, IRL stuff came up, i will gladly however move to the bottom of the que or switch spots with whomever is below me.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Ack, I wasn't expecting that. I'll go next then.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:23 pm UTC

Where art thou, Levi?

Levi

Postby Levi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:49 am UTC

Hi, really sorry I haven't posted in so long. All that free time I had completely disappeared, and I won't be able to finish this year. I've uploaded the file here if you want to keep going from there.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:01 pm UTC

Ok, thanks, Levi. Nbonaparte, feel free to pick up from there and continue until anywhere between the end of year 1 and the end of year 2. Please post to let me know that you've started.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:51 pm UTC

Downloading the zip now.

EDIT: So I'll just play to the what would've been the end of my turn, and have a longer time period?

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:18 pm UTC

7th Galena
They never really told me that we were going to a human settlement. I get nauseous aboveground. And now that I've become the leader of this little village, I'm going to make it fit for a dwarf, dammit! Digging begins now.

And look at that... I completely forgot about the aquifer layer. I should've noticed, what with the woodlands in this area. No matter. We'll just have to breach it.

18th Galena
I've decided to try and pump out the water fast enough to get some walls in the way to breach this aquifer. I've never seen it done before, so I may end up failing miserably, but I hope for the best. I also stole a few more chairs from the human homes.

6th Sandstone
A few more migrants have arrived. A bone doctor named Reg, Kib the thresher, and a bowyer that goes by Shorast.

8th Sandstone
The aquifer pump is done, but I can't get ahold of any rock to make mechanisms to power the damn thing. It seems we're going to get a little exercise.
Spoiler:

I'll continue later.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:33 pm UTC

Um... I got both miners killed. After I realized that this map freezes, I tried digging through the aquifer that way. The miners got encased in ice, picks and all.

I'm going to call my turn a failure. does the next person want to take Levi's save?

savanik

Postby savanik » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 pm UTC

Don't let a trivial little problem like 'killed off the miners' set you back. Forge or trade for some more, then keep digging!

Losing is fun!

Sav

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:14 pm UTC

I agree with savanik. If you think you can salvage anything of the situation at all, forge onward.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:32 am UTC

Hmm. I could steal some crap from the human shops, melt it down, and make some more picks...

Return to “Gaming”