DF Succession 3.1

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

MisterCheif

Re: DF Succession 3.1

Postby MisterCheif » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:27 pm UTC

I am going to be gone for the next 4 days at Drum Major Academy. If by some inexplicably weird series of events my turn comes up, please push back my position on the list until I am back.

I will make a post once I am back.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:30 pm UTC

Alright, I've lost interest after just a season. I'm not very good at this. We have one dying miner, several useless migrants, a few new bedrooms, 2 failed aquifer-breaching attempts, and a bunch of bronze crap I stole from the humans. It's late winter.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2842
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:03 pm UTC

nbonaparte wrote:We have one dying miner, several useless migrants, a few new bedrooms, 2 failed aquifer-breaching attempts, and a bunch of bronze crap I stole from the humans. It's late winter.

This sentence epitomizes much of what is awesome about Dwarf Fortress. Keladaran, are you ready for your turn or would you like to be pushed back again?
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

lowbart

Postby lowbart » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

I need to be moved to the bottom of the list, the next few weeks are going to be busy for me.
...a fish called the Henamo grunter, named because it makes grunting noises from its swim bladder.
v1nsai wrote:Yes, I'm Linux, how can I help you ma'am?

savanik

Postby savanik » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:14 pm UTC

Hunh. So is it Kelderan's turn now or mine?

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:41 am UTC

I guess Keldaran is probably still busy, so go ahead, Savanik.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:49 pm UTC

Well, I am back from DMA, so I can be moved off of postponement. Of course, that will only last a week, so I will post before I go to band camp.
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

savanik

Postby savanik » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:52 pm UTC

Well, I'm 90% of the way through my turn (late Opal) and should be able to finish up tomorrow, post up report and screenies on Monday.

Sav
"If it were up to the copyright lobby, owning a pen would be punishable by fines." ---Arancaytar

savanik

Postby savanik » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:34 am UTC

"Fellow Dwarves! Our task lays beneath us! Our miners lay entombed, our tools gone - and some would say all is lost? Nay! Are we not dwarves? Does booze not run freely in our veins? You see our tasks before us! Reach the stone before the year is out, and STRIKE THE EARTH!"

"What if it hits back?"

"Then strike it HARDER! What do you think Armok gave you a head like that for, eh?"

Speeches aside, we're pretty bad off! Those stingy humans haven't lent us a single hand, and they have NO interest in going underground whatsoever! Fine by me, we're going to be down on our luck soon enough, and they can stay up here with their heads in the clouds.

26 Opal
We've broken down to dry stone at last! ALL HAIL ARMOK! Wait... WHERE IS THE BOOZE?! I was promised rum when we broke through this damn underground lake, and we've not a pint to our name! TO THE STILLS!

We would never have reached this deep without the arrays of pumps Nboneparte directed last year. He was so close to breaking through before he was injured in battle. We need to make him a draught worthy of his honor!

13 Obsidian
It's worse than I thought. Not only is there no booze, but all the lakes are crusted over with solid ice. Nboneparte, the lad, breathed his last breath today, a raspy plea for just a drop of wine, but we had none to give him. Blast it! The still still isn't finished yet.

And what's this? A goblin attack? COME ON! TO THE BURROWS, LADS! Let these humans fend for themselves!

17th Obsidian
It looks like a single couragous human managed to scare off the goblins with his crossbow skills, but not before they'd killed off half the children. My gods... well, there's no use staying around here. We'd best get out of the humans' hair before they decide that we're too short, too.

9 Granite
At long last! BOOZE! The first draught is mighty weak, but after so long with not a single drop of ale, it's refeshing! Now... NOW we can get back to the great work! We also dug a well out for those too injured to stand alcohol. We shall name it the Nboneparte memorial well - may he forever rest in peace.

Oh... right. You know, we should really bury him. Our miner, however, threw down his pick in disgust a month ago at not having any liquor. Perhaps we can get him mining again now.

10 Slate
So much snow! I thought it would never end... but at long last, the thaw is here, and we can finally breath a long sigh of relief that we're well below ground, digging with all our might. We've enough wine to last us for a while, so we can work on getting this fleshed out. We've only three novice miners at the moment - Levi has been sulking in the corner about losing his pick - but we can remedy that soon enough.

Ah, yes, three. We had some more immigrants arrive today. Most of them fishermen. FISHERMEN! As if we're going back to the surface to look for fish! Maybe in a few years underground they'll become proper dwarves, but until then I've set them to hauling rubble! HAH! They can think what they want, but I know they're just here to join our glory. Let them scrabble in the mud for a bit, learn what it means to be a dwarf!

15 Felsite
I was awakened this morning by a thunderous crash! Apparently some of the construction done last winter over the ice in the north collapsed after the thaw. Very strange it took this long...

At least the immigrants have been useful for something. One of them has proved an able brewer, and one of them brought an axe for woodcutting. Shame there's not more trees, but well, what can you do. We'll have to reserve the available wood for beds and bins. And barrels! No good using perfectly good metal for barrels! Whoever made these tables and chairs... I think they're human make, actually. Ugh! We should just burn them and be done with it. At the very least we'll leave them near the surface.

We've got a dining room done now, and a proper underground room for Levi, our mayor. He's stopped pouting and rejoined the rest at a party. Wonderful times! ... although we need some underground farms. Proper ones, not like that muck in the south. Well, soon enough, soon enough. They'll all see soon enough.

3 Hematite
Some goblins arrived and we locked the doors again. You can hear the screams from here. They murdered the elven traders. Some of the humans in their sleep while all our people ran in. Everyone came inside, to the dark and the deep. The rock... the rock speaks to me...

Oy fvo rfoy sn kts gacxg ss eah xerdzi eeaiqh,
Ka tsnu fvo rrds qede wc rvmzvy hgwde kaiqh!
Ja myu'cx rsg rzr iol'xz nix gbdic kce fzzr dhv scyd iaiqh,
Fd W zrfywce Z'xz piep myu rzr ratw cpf paib skgtp!

Ffd wd's yqm-ni-cqs ri, rzr ro-uu-zoe yay,
Dhv pkkrmqg ctiuyo tyq skrkt oxd dmyo lfhs do kts botw!
Pvofp tyr kts Llfar Qou, Nzyou rcb Aiycu!
Hvk-rs-lvq vs, aep vy-dz-xso hfw.

Moody.png

7 Malachite
I must have come down with a fever or madness. And for some time, judging from the most recent entry in my journal. It was the strangest thing. The goblins were outside, I remember hearing the elven merchants being slaughtered, and then ... something came over me. It all seems so much more foggy now, but... the stone spoke to me, and I listened. If Levi had not decoded what I scribbled on the walls, I do not think they would have mined out the gems I was seeking. I might have gone mad with need.

Even now, I can remember some of what the Stone said. When I touch the stone with my chisel, I can hear what needs to be heard. When I strike my hammer, I can hear the weak cracks and splits in the seams. I can explain it no other way than having been Touched by the Stone.

Truly, a glorious day. I shall enscribe something in our dining hall to remember it by... once I get something to eat. I must have been staring at this rock for months! And what did I make, but this ... this ring! I know its of rock salt - but yet it seems indestructible. We should save it, I think, for a suitable person to gift it with.

Excuse me. I am rambling. I should rest a moment.

20 Galena
Goblins... swarms of them! We've barred the doors and taken inside, but I fear the humans will be completely overrun this time. There's nothing we can do for them, save take revenge later. We found some seams of iron - iron weapons and armor will have to be forged to teach them a lesson.

But right now, we are too underdeveloped. We've barely established our quarters, an underground field for our farms - we need never return to the surface now. But wood! Without wood, no beds! We'll have to use bunks for now, and perhaps seek wood elsewhere, even. Deeper in the underground, there may be some suitable fungi for building.

There's no turning back now... unless the dwarven caravans can clear these goblins from their path, I fear we may never see our brethren for years.

1 Timber, 1052
In honor of those we have lost,
We dedicate these tombs to you.
May the loyal beasts of burden
Carry you to the final slumber
In the halls of eternal flames
In the darkness
In the deep
We honor thee.

RestWell.png

Rest well, young Nboneparte. These statues are not worthy of your presence, but until our mason learns to carve something other than donkeys... I'm afraid they will have to do.

21 Timber
The dwarven caravan has arrived, and a fierce battle for the caravan erupted around the trade depot. Our only hope rests with their fighters. But I think... yes, I believe we are winning! Their liason has gotten through. We've asked for some iron bars, some gems. Dang, wood! Should have asked for wood!

But it turns out they''ll pay us a great deal for headware and large gems next year. Decent prices for fish and bucklers. Ah, well. It could be worse. We could all be dead. And the elves 'departed' in enough of a hurty they left all their trade goods at the depot, so we'll just... uhm. Yeah. Those are ours.

19th Obsidian

Tholtig was taken by a mood of his own. He's taken up rock laying nearby, and started to work furiously. He's not telling anyone what he's hearing from the Stone whispers.

And right after another group of goblins showed up. They're showing up with depressing regularity. I think the humans are attracting them, the bastards! Well, we've sealed ourselves away again. They'll not get through these walls until we're good and ready, and we scavanged a good deal of iron from the ones the dwarven caravan killed off. We set up a barracks, too, with a gym - before too long, we'll have our own private army of muscled dwarves, and draw our own share of blood for the blood god!

Ah.. it's a cabinet, I think. He calls it 'The Flesh Jaw'. It's ... kind of disturbing, really. He encrusted it with itself, and adorned it with... more of itself. I guess it does kind of look like a jaw with the lowest drawer open. Well, Levi seems to like it in his office, called it a 'high work of artistry'.

Strangely, Tholtig isn't any better at making stone cabinets, but he can mine like blazes now.

------

TL;DR Notes:
We've successfully gotten past the aquifers. Hematite ore and coal have been found, but no flux.
The farms and most of the food storage has been moved underground.
Two storerooms, basic living quarters, various workshops, and a barrack/gym are up and running.
We have a legendary engraver, a legendary miner, and two artifacts.
Goblins are running rampant outside, at least four squads. You may not want to unlock the main doors to the fortress on the ground level until we have an army trained.

Save File: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2877

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 am UTC

My pumps worked? how? I couldn't get the corners to dry up.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:07 am UTC

Does this make it my turn, or was someone pushed back but is now ahead of me?

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:27 am UTC

I believe it's your turn. From my understanding, if you are skipped then you have to be moved to the end of the line.
yeah yeah yeah

savanik

Postby savanik » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:10 am UTC

nbonaparte wrote:My pumps worked? how? I couldn't get the corners to dry up.

The trick there is simply persistence, and to do the corners first. Your pumps didn't have to work perfectly, just well enough to keep the water level low enough that you could begin construction (depth 1 or 0) and that the dwarves wouldn't suspend the construction (depth 3+). With pumps in that configuration there, they got suspended a lot, but they stayed dry enough that the mason was finally able to finish the wall - at which point that corner stopped spewing water and the situation dramatically improved for the rest

I still had to rig up a pump on that level, though, so that we could keep the downstairs dry enough to smooth out the stone walls below, which took some finagling. But you were 90% of the way there already.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 am UTC

Yup, StrengthInFaith should be next. I updated the first post and pushed Keldaran and lowbart down to the bottom, and MisterCheif will join them if he's unable to stick around for his turn next. Great jobs guys, let's keep it rolling.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:21 pm UTC

Alrighty. I'll get working on it.

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 pm UTC

Does it matter that I'm running 31.12?
yeah yeah yeah

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:55 pm UTC

frogman wrote:Does it matter that I'm running 31.12?

I think we have to be running 31.12 or above at this point. I couldn't get the save to run on 31.08, but it works fine on .12.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:35 am UTC

Well, I didn't know if some people were still running earlier versions, in which case use .12 would mess up the game for them. I guess not.
yeah yeah yeah

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:49 am UTC

31.12 is backwards compatible.

frogman

Postby frogman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Yes, but .08 isn't forwards compatible, which was the point I was trying to get across.
yeah yeah yeah

savanik

Postby savanik » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:12 pm UTC

When I got the file it was in version 3.10 format already. Took me a couple minutes to figure out why it wasn't loading in my 3.08 build I'd set aside specifically for this thread.

Also, side note: This is quite a bit of fun trying to get much accomplished in a single year, so tack me onto the end of the turns.

Sav

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

I'm back sorry bout that guys, was gone longer than i expected.

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

I'll have my turn posted tonight. Sorry for the wait.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:00 pm UTC

I won't be able to work on it until a week from Monday, so push me to the back of the list...
I have to move stuff out of the basement so we can get leaks fixed and the floor tiled...
I can haz people?

StrengthInFaith

Postby StrengthInFaith » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:20 am UTC

A lot of life-things have gotten in the way; I'm not going to be able to finish my turn. I stopped mid-summer, I think. Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2900

A little bit got accomplished. There's a military of 9 dwarfs training. I started work on a new housing wing and tidied up some workshop stuff.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm UTC

Keldaran, do you want to go next? Otherwise we start repeating people.

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:28 pm UTC

Ill go next, should have it in by next Saturday or Sunday

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:10 am UTC

What about me? I thought I was next in line.
yeah yeah yeah

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:30 am UTC

frogman wrote:What about me? I thought I was next in line.

Keldaran was originally 3rd or 4th or so, and had to delay due to real life, but now he's back, so I'm letting him squeeze in. I'm on the schedule for next, but I'd be willing to let people who haven't gone once go before I repeat. I'll update the first post so.

frogman

Postby frogman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:15 am UTC

Okay! I might need to be bumped to the back then, actually. Bad timing, huh? :)
yeah yeah yeah

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:00 pm UTC

Frogman can go before, i haven't had a chance to touch the save yet. i thought i was moved to the bottom of the list and we had reached that point.

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:59 am UTC

Alright, I'll see if I can get it done before I have to go. I'll get started on it right now.

EDIT: Do you want me to go until end of the year or end of next year (getting my full turn, also finishing StrengthInFaith's?
yeah yeah yeah

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:34 am UTC

I can't download the file, so I guess it goes to the next person.
yeah yeah yeah

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:49 am UTC

Okay, then I guess that brings us to.. Makorsha! Are you ready to go?

savanik

Postby savanik » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:41 pm UTC

Swivelguy wrote:Okay, then I guess that brings us to.. Makorsha! Are you ready to go?

*crickets*

I get the feeling that a lot of people haven't subscribed to this thread to be notified whenever it changes so they'll know when its their turn.

Sav

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:37 pm UTC

Okay, are any of the following delayed people ready for a turn? If there are no takers within 48 hours I will begin my 2nd turn.

6. Makorsha - AFK, Delayed
7. MisterCheif - Delayed
8. lowbart - Delayed
9. Keldaran - Delayed
10. Frogman - Delayed

Keldaran

Postby Keldaran » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 pm UTC

I can go.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:28 pm UTC

Ok, please do.

frogman

Postby frogman » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:45 am UTC

I can go again, next time my turn comes around.
yeah yeah yeah

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 am UTC

Keldaran, are you in-progress? It's been over a week, post an update please :)

Return to “Gaming”