Alien Swarm

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby uncivlengr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:36 pm UTC

Levi wrote:I've found that it's possible just to run like hell and shoot while you're running. I haven't had too many problems with swarms catching up to me or getting in the way. Bring along some adrenaline for hacking and you can solo some of the levels pretty easily.
Yeah, the problem is when you're playing with a team, and the team isn't bolting as fast as the leader, so they get swamped. When I play as a tech, I always used to try to seal the doors, but there's always one guy that gets behind, so I've quit that.

Lately I've been playing Special Weapons with autogun with either the chainsaw or turret, which have been quite effective... nothing like chainsawing down a door before the tech can hack it, and splattering the bugs on the other side!
I don't know what to do for you

Rakysh
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Rakysh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:25 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:It'd be nice if accessories like flashlight and nightvision were an additional option, rather than an alternative to armour/grenades. There are a few levels where a flashlight would be useful, but never enough that it would replace some else.

I use the flashlight for "showing off" cos it looks so god damn badass. It is also occassionally helpful, but I assume will be vital for the obligatory "the lights are out!" map that is I'm sure in development as we speak.

Levi wrote:I've found that it's possible just to run like hell and shoot while you're running. I haven't had too many problems with swarms catching up to me or getting in the way. Bring along some adrenaline for hacking and you can solo some of the levels pretty easily.

As people have said, on the other hand your team will hate you. Some bugger joined a game I was hosting and started sprinting away, screaming "GOGOGOGO!" in his mic and abusing us when we carried on at the pace we were at before. We ended up kicking him, I remember.

Texas_Ben
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 am UTC
Location: Not in Texas

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Texas_Ben » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:48 pm UTC

I don't scream "GO GO GO GO" and sprint ahead, but sometimes my team will insist on sitting in front of an infinite spawn for a long time killing bugs and losing health. That is not okay.

Rakysh
Posts: 1276
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Rakysh » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:59 pm UTC

Oh, chivying along is vital, certainly. A balance needs to be struck, I just personally find fast people more annoying than slow ones as fast people tend to be showing off while slow people just aren't very good at the game.

User avatar
thecommabandit
Posts: 1884
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:25 pm UTC
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby thecommabandit » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:19 pm UTC

Rakysh wrote:Oh, chivying along is vital, certainly. A balance needs to be struck, I just personally find fast people more annoying than slow ones as fast people tend to be showing off while slow people just aren't very good at the game.

Ironically, the fast people end up being not very good at the game when they wind up getting themselves killed.
Image

User avatar
BurningLed
Posts: 561
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:42 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby BurningLed » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Well, the overheating problem killed my computer's power supply before I read you ahve to turn off multicore rendering :(. Stuck with the netbook until I get it replaced/find a new computer.



I only rush if the entire team is clear on the strategy. Moving at a moderate pace works better for the most part, since it's easier to stay in a group that way -- And you get more 'dead alien'/'healed teammate' XP points that way.

By the way, does anyone else experience a frequent shortage of Medigun ammo? It seems one can't get through any level on insane without having run out just in time to be swamped by parasites. I exaggerate, of course, but it is fairly low on ammo. Maybe there should be a minigun-type policy in place, where it takes a full ammo crate to replenish ~ 20 points of ammo? It's irritatingto have a teammate infected, then run out of ammo just before the thing is cleared off of him.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

Texas_Ben
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:34 am UTC
Location: Not in Texas

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Texas_Ben » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:24 pm UTC

BurningLed wrote:By the way, does anyone else experience a frequent shortage of Medigun ammo? It seems one can't get through any level on insane without having run out just in time to be swamped by parasites. I exaggerate, of course, but it is fairly low on ammo. Maybe there should be a minigun-type policy in place, where it takes a full ammo crate to replenish ~ 20 points of ammo? It's irritatingto have a teammate infected, then run out of ammo just before the thing is cleared off of him.

I haven't played on insane, usually play on hard, so my experience is colored by that, but I almost never run out of ammo for the heal gun, and if I do we're usually close enough to the end of the level that we can stick it out. I only play medic when I'm playing with freinds, though. If I'm doing a pickup-game in the public servers, trying to play medic is an exercise in frustration.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby ProZac » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:53 pm UTC

I've been playing as medic for the most part when on insane, and while I don't think I've finished a stage with medigun ammo, I don't think it's really a problem. Sometimes I'll run out halfway through the stage and say "No more medigun, make what you have last" and we'll still carry on for a while. Usually though I'll run out right before the last stand/swarm type thing and we'll just have to carry through it without taking alot of damage.

As for pacing, on Normal, you can just kinda go. There's not much reason to take it slow. Hard makes it so you have to stay close to your team, but as long as you're together you should still be ok. On Insane we've been doing a "Run to point X, stop, wait for swarm, clear, repeat"

Mo0man
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am UTC
Location: 2 weeks ago

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Mo0man » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:50 pm UTC

With the medigun, one shot heals roughtly 20 hp. It's a heal over time thing, at least taht's how I remember it. You really don't need to hold the button, just use one ammo per heal
causa major dormuc vulnero ut ovis goatee
I'm number 20075. Remember that. It's important

User avatar
Babam
the Nearly Deleted
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:05 am UTC
Location: A multiverse, wandering the couch
Contact:

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Babam » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:56 am UTC

Mo0man wrote:With the medigun, one shot heals roughtly 20 hp. It's a heal over time thing, at least taht's how I remember it. You really don't need to hold the button, just use one ammo per heal

Yeah, I've noticed it's more of a one shot hot than a TF2 Medigun, which I like.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:35 pm UTC

So I've gotten 33/64 achievements. I hate doing the weapon ones for pistols and such. how are you all as far as that goes?
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Internetmeme
Posts: 1405
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:16 pm UTC
Location: South Carolina, USA

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Internetmeme » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:32 pm UTC

Minigun and chainsaw are the two best weapons in this game.
Spoiler:

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:54 pm UTC

i don't like the higher level minigun. the spinup is a pain and the recoil is ridiculous. it's easier to do short, controlled bursts with the lower level minigun.
uhhhh fuck.

Technical Ben
Posts: 2986
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:42 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Technical Ben » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:21 pm UTC

Note to self. Don't get bored, leave the team and try to solo a mission, realise your a medic and have forgotten to bring your flame thrower... again.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

User avatar
TommyTumnus
Posts: 76
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:30 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby TommyTumnus » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:58 am UTC

thecommabandit wrote:
Rakysh wrote:Oh, chivying along is vital, certainly. A balance needs to be struck, I just personally find fast people more annoying than slow ones as fast people tend to be showing off while slow people just aren't very good at the game.

Ironically, the fast people end up being not very good at the game when they wind up getting themselves killed.


Not always true. When I play as officer (which is half the time, other half medic), I generally move ahead pretty fast and do fine on my own--it's everyone who stays behind and barely moves forward that get in trouble, and I always have to go back and save them. I'm not saying this is typical (as I only play with friends), but not everyone who charges through is an idiot.

User avatar
thc
Posts: 643
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:01 am UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby thc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:55 am UTC

Midnight wrote:i don't like the higher level minigun. the spinup is a pain and the recoil is ridiculous. it's easier to do short, controlled bursts with the lower level minigun.


FYI, the autogun (the low level gun) does less than 1/2 the DPS of the vindicator and abotu 1/5th the damage capacity. It does have a slight range advantage, but I dont think that's worth being outclassed in every other way.

User avatar
Ryom
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:52 am UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Ryom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 am UTC

dupe.
Last edited by Ryom on Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ryom
Posts: 686
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:52 am UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Ryom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 am UTC

The miniguns don't have to reload every few shots. You know who it is that keeps aliens off the reloaders? The Special Weapons classes.

Lets see, you can try to time a rolling swap between 4 marines during a heavy rush on insane to account for reloads... or you can just have the SpecWeps clear the entire swarm by themselves as everyone continues to push forward and ammo is conserved by 3 other people. The minigun gets two rounds fired per 1 bullet spent, plus with Wolfe there is piercing ammo to take out entire lines of baddies. The autogun and minigun are fantastic and efficient.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:22 am UTC

thc wrote:
Midnight wrote:i don't like the higher level minigun. the spinup is a pain and the recoil is ridiculous. it's easier to do short, controlled bursts with the lower level minigun.


FYI, the autogun (the low level gun) does less than 1/2 the DPS of the vindicator and abotu 1/5th the damage capacity. It does have a slight range advantage, but I dont think that's worth being outclassed in every other way.


range is important on levels like the cargo elevator though. though that encounter is trivialized with more than one sentry.
and the vindicator is a bit too.. punchy. it hits harder than the shotgun with triple the ammo capacity. it should hit about 2/3rds as hard as it does.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Qwert
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:09 am UTC
Location: Elsewhere

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Qwert » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:57 am UTC

On hard, I like taking both miniguns and the tesla sentries. Autogun is awesome for killing a few baddies at any range while sipping ammo (thank you autoaim!) while the other minigun is kick-ass for killing 30 at once in a hallway as they swarm you. Best part is that the guns share clips, so you get rounds in the chamber for 2 guns + 2 clips = 4 reloads worth, one less than a selfish speacial weapons taking a minigun + ammopack. Autogun is also great for taking out the wall swarm on the elevator level.


Now if i cold only get a tema that understands a spun up heavy cant run as fast as their speed skilled techie.... :roll:
2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
- Grabel's Law
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:41 pm UTC

and that's why I don't really like the minigun, cause of the spinup to shoot, and if you stay spinning, you're slow as hell. It's only worth it to be that slow on levels like the surface bridge (which, incidentally, is my favorite map. great atmosphere.)
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Rek
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm UTC
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Rek » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 pm UTC

Internetmeme wrote:Minigun and chainsaw are the two best weapons in this game.

My Vindicator and Flamer would like to disagree with you :D Vindicator is good for single units or groups and Flamer can take on huge groups and is a good Anti-Parasite/Egg weapon.

Also does anyone else like Incendiary Mines? They're great on almost level.
Words Win Wars

User avatar
SoapyHobo
Soap. It's, uhh, not actually that good
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 am UTC
Location: Liverpool, England
Contact:

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby SoapyHobo » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:59 pm UTC

I prefer using Jaeger and getting 12x triple trip mines.
Jack Saladin wrote:Goddamn that's an awesome ****, Soapy. Once they get around to making artificial **** and I replace my crappy original ones, I'm gonna make mine look like that.

User avatar
Box Boy
WINNING
Posts: 1356
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:33 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Box Boy » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

SoapyHobo wrote:I prefer using Jaeger and getting 12x triple trip mines.

It's especially fun on the elevator when you have a sentry because the other three people get barely any kills with their sentries or guns.
Signatures are for chumps.

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby ProZac » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm UTC

Managed to complete the final stage on insane last night to finish my achievement... twice. I did it solo first with a quick run through, then again later on with a group of 4. Much harder to escape when you're try to get 4 people through there, I think.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:25 pm UTC

Rek wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:Minigun and chainsaw are the two best weapons in this game.

My Vindicator and Flamer would like to disagree with you :D Vindicator is good for single units or groups and Flamer can take on huge groups and is a good Anti-Parasite/Egg weapon.

Also does anyone else like Incendiary Mines? They're great on almost level.

vindicator is great, flamer is bad. way too slow. i'd be fine with it chewing up even MORE ammo if it actually killed things fast. It's on the order of seconds, while a chainsaw (or vindicator (or grenade)) is instant.
uhhhh fuck.

User avatar
Rek
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 10:36 pm UTC
Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Rek » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:17 am UTC

Midnight wrote:
Rek wrote:
Internetmeme wrote:Minigun and chainsaw are the two best weapons in this game.

My Vindicator and Flamer would like to disagree with you :D Vindicator is good for single units or groups and Flamer can take on huge groups and is a good Anti-Parasite/Egg weapon.

Also does anyone else like Incendiary Mines? They're great on almost level.

vindicator is great, flamer is bad. way too slow. i'd be fine with it chewing up even MORE ammo if it actually killed things fast. It's on the order of seconds, while a chainsaw (or vindicator (or grenade)) is instant.

The fact that it can ignite things is usefull though. Simply burst it towards a group of aliens so that they ignite and then back away and let them burn to death. Of course, if you're surrounded that doesn't work to well, but I've noticed that for some reason burning aliens don't attack as much. There have been many times where I've lit a swarm aflame and then strolled straight through the entire group untouched. :shock:
Words Win Wars

User avatar
uncivlengr
Posts: 1202
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:35 pm UTC
Location: N 49°19.01 W 123°04.41

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby uncivlengr » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:29 am UTC

I'm guessing here, but I think that's been changed - now they definitely seem to stop attacking once on fire, but that didn't seem to be the case when I first started playing, which is why I never bothered with it. Now you can pretty much speed run any level with a flamer thrower; torch them and keep going.
I don't know what to do for you

ProZac
Posts: 891
Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 3:57 pm UTC

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby ProZac » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm UTC

Agreed, Flamer is definitely one of the best weapons. Maybe not for killing enemies, but yes, on fire enemies don't attack as much. Send the guy with the flamethrower out front, light everything on fire and then step to the side for your heavy hitters. Additionally, the little aliens such as parasites, the flying things, and the explodey bugs die quickly to the flamethrower, and they're much easier to hit with.

User avatar
Midnight
Posts: 2170
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 am UTC
Location: Twixt hither and thither. Ergo, Jupiter.

Re: Alien Swarm

Postby Midnight » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:17 am UTC

uncivlengr wrote:I'm guessing here, but I think that's been changed - now they definitely seem to stop attacking once on fire, but that didn't seem to be the case when I first started playing, which is why I never bothered with it. Now you can pretty much speed run any level with a flamer thrower; torch them and keep going.

Upon testing, you're right. Before, they definitely attacked whilst ablaze. Now... yeah that makes the flamer a lot better. But still not my favorite.
uhhhh fuck.


Return to “Gaming”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests