Dork Soulds

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:48 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
The one on the lower level is almost completely pointless.

No, you just don't know what it's for.

Also, you can buy all manner of katanas and stuff from a merchant that only appears if you're part of the Forest Covenant.

Yeah, I kind of figure that bonfire might eventually be useful, but still I think it would have been much nicer if the bonfire was on the moving platform. The number of times I had to run to past there because of those fucking archers...

Also yeah, I fucked up with the forest covenant thing, the cat won't talk to me. Just said fuck it and checked the wiki. Guess I get to go farm 104k souls because I said the wrong thing 25 levels ago.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

I found the archers up in Anor Londo pretty simple. They can't hit you if you're moving up the ramp towards their spot. Then you just need to bum rush the one on the right (rolling to avoid his shots) a he should pull out a sword. At that point just beat him to death (or knock him off with a kick) and you should be find. A spear weapon is ideal there since you don't want something that swings and hits the walls with. Lightning spear from Sen's is pretty good.

Killed Ornstein and Smough with the Crystal Ring shield which is horrible broken against bosses. So easy to destroy them with it. You need to have not made the spear though to get it from the Moonlight Butterfly's soul.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:18 am UTC

Might have to get that shield then.

Got myself the Furysword last night, it's nice to look at and fun to use. Still on the look out for a decent Dex sword though. (Was using a Scimitar +10)

Decided to go Human and try the dual bosses in Anor Londo. Got invaded for the first time on the way :(

Got my ass kicked, but atleast they were polite about it and bowed at the end.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm UTC

Chen wrote:I found the archers up in Anor Londo pretty simple. They can't hit you if you're moving up the ramp towards their spot. Then you just need to bum rush the one on the right (rolling to avoid his shots) a he should pull out a sword. At that point just beat him to death (or knock him off with a kick) and you should be find. A spear weapon is ideal there since you don't want something that swings and hits the walls with. Lightning spear from Sen's is pretty good.

Not for me. Yeah, I tried rushing the guy on the right. Except if I didn't time a roll right he'd hit me with an arrow. Most of the time that would push me right off the ledge, despite that meaning it pushed me sideways instead of backwards. Plus, the other guy was still shooting at me. So if I didn't time it right, I'd get an arrow in the back, while trying to not fall off or take an arrow in the face. Fuck that part.

Also a bit frustrated right now. Don't want to have to take on Seath - getting there is too annoying. Don't want to do New Londo, since my spear isn't a good weapon for the ghosts. Tried the forest covenant, but apparently suck at pvp. Trying the demon ruins, but getting annoyed there too.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

Don't want to do New Londo, since my spear isn't a good weapon for the ghosts.

There's nothing special about a weapon that makes it particularly bad for fighting ghosts. It's nice if you have one of the cursed ones, but it doesn't really matter, since they drop so many of the items anyway.

But, fair warning, I think you're really not gonna like the boss.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

emceng

Postby emceng » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:22 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
Don't want to do New Londo, since my spear isn't a good weapon for the ghosts.

There's nothing special about a weapon that makes it particularly bad for fighting ghosts. It's nice if you have one of the cursed ones, but it doesn't really matter, since they drop so many of the items anyway.

But, fair warning, I think you're really not gonna like the boss.

I found that my drake sword worked better. It could hit multiple foes at once, and at some of the ambush sites, you need that. It does less damage, but the swing radius is useful.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:30 pm UTC

Just completed it, ending at about hour 130.

Well worth the £40.

Can't wait to start finishing my build in NG+.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:50 am UTC

Vapour wrote:Just completed it, ending at about hour 130.

Well worth the £40.

Can't wait to start finishing my build in NG+.

Just got to Gwyn and only tried him once, but seems doable. I'm wondering what weapon I should be using. I've been using Quelaggs furysword for the longest time now, but in the demon ruins I switched to my divine claymore +9 just because everything seemed so fire resistant. The knights leading to Gwyn still died quickly to the Furysword, but I'm wondering if there's something better. Also wondering if I should change the Claymore to something other than divine since I only made it that to deal with the skelies in the Catacombs.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

Yeah, I'm kind of stuck for weapons right now too. Sunk a bunch of time into making an enchanted ugichatana, but at +4 it still does less damage than my +4 lightning spear. Plus it sounds like getting a blue titanite slab is going to be a big pain in the balls, having to deal with those stupid butterflies in the crystal cavern.

Llef

Postby Llef » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:58 pm UTC

Grats on getting through it Vapour :)

You don't have to kill any butterflies to get the blue slab. Once you are in the crystal cavern, just travel normally over the first hidden path. Once you drop down onto the second hidden path, turn around, there will be two crystal lizards behind ya. After the crystal lizards is another hidden path that has a turn in it halfway through, be careful there. After that path is the blue slab. I was in some noisy armor and never aggroed any butterflies getting it. I made an enchanted war scythe +5 with it, and it has something like 515 attack power with 50 int. Does more than the furysword +5, but swings a lot slower.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

At the time I had a Furysword +4 and an Iaito +15.
Switched to the Iaito for Demon Ruins.

The last boss was okay, managed it on the 3rd time.

1st was a slaughter, didn't land a hit.
2nd try, thought of a plan.
3rd try, followed plan and got it.

Iron Flesh and 2h Iaito +lots of slashing.

Spent last night in the Forst Covenant trying some pvp.

Killed like 2-3 people. Some took several attempts.

The worst kind of person to fight is Ring of Fog = Havel's armour with some big ass sword.
I can't lock on, so when I roll. I turn my back to them and they 'backstab' me.

2H Iaito heavy attack is awesome.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Just completed it, ending at about hour 130.

O_O Please tell me you took your time. I can't imagine dropping that much time in to complete.

I finally had a decent amount of time to play this weekend. Aside from one point when it froze, all the graphical glitches seem to be gone. *shrug* I noticed many people saying the Capra demon was difficult, but once I made it past the first 15 seconds of the fight, I had no trouble with him. I was also expecting the Gaping Dragon to be quite rough, but it only took me 2 tries to down him. 2 NPC phantoms have spawned on me and both have be god awful easy to fight. I'm wandering around... some poison bog thingy. I wish I had a quick way back to Firelink. I want to go upgrade my estus, as I have multiple to spend, but I don't want to trek the whole way back, just to travel all the way back to where I am.

I'm also annoyed as I accidentally attacked an NPC in the sewer place behind a grate, and now she yells at me every time I walk by her, and I don't know if I can interact with her anymore.

Using my shield much more frequently as well, as compared to demon's souls. Which feels weird, since I'm playing a dex based class. I should be agile and dodgy! Dodging feels so much more difficult in this game though, like I'm more likely to put myself in a bad position or get mauled by multiple enemies.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Yeah, I spent time being afk, exploring most areas and farming for materials.

So it's not a 100% accurate time, but seeing as I can complete most games in a weekend.

I'm also annoyed as I accidentally attacked an NPC in the sewer place behind a grate, and now she yells at me every time I walk by her, and I don't know if I can interact with her anymore.

Using my shield much more frequently as well, as compared to demon's souls. Which feels weird, since I'm playing a dex based class. I should be agile and dodgy! Dodging feels so much more difficult in this game though, like I'm more likely to put myself in a bad position or get mauled by multiple enemies.

You can spend souls to stop npcs hating you, but it's costly. I only used that merchant for the Homeward things (recalls) and some Purging stones.

I'm a dex build, but still find my using my Black Knight shield +5 or My Eagle Shield +10, depending on the fight ahead.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Vapour wrote:Yeah, I spent time being afk, exploring most areas and farming for materials.

So it's not a 100% accurate time, but seeing as I can complete most games in a weekend.

You can spend souls to stop npcs hating you, but it's costly. I only used that merchant for the Homeward things (recalls) and some Purging stones.

I'm a dex build, but still find my using my Black Knight shield +5 or My Eagle Shield +10, depending on the fight ahead.

Yeah,
Spoiler:
to fix this you have to have your sins absolved by the guy at the top of the belltower(where you fought the gargoyles). Costs something like 2k times your soul level. So pretty expensive.

I think he also sells purging stones for much cheaper than others.

Chen

Postby Chen » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

Beat the last boss by just using Iron Skin and tanking him while beating on him with Quelagg's Sword. Iron Skin is horribly OP it seems. Everything in NG+ still seems to be dying in one hit from Quelaggs or at worst 1 hit from the +5 lightning claymore. Not being able to teleport is annoying though. Need to quickly rush through to get to that point so I don't have to walk everywhere.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

Working on my NG+, kept dying to the Titanite demon. Got him, eventually and moved onto the Depths. That big rat is still as bad as I remember. So I cheaped out and threw fireballs at him from the ledge above him.

Going to hang round Gaping dragon for a bit, dropping my summon sign, then I might do him myself.

Kag

Postby Kag » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

Chen wrote:Beat the last boss by just using Iron Skin and tanking him while beating on him with Quelagg's Sword. Iron Skin is horribly OP it seems. Everything in NG+ still seems to be dying in one hit from Quelaggs or at worst 1 hit from the +5 lightning claymore. Not being able to teleport is annoying though. Need to quickly rush through to get to that point so I don't have to walk everywhere.

Not so much in NG+. Mustering up as much resistance as I could manage, trying to Iron Skin cheese Pete & Pete just got me instantly killed by a lightning bolt.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:38 am UTC

No solid testing, but I think iron skin is bad against lightning. Some iron armor too iirc.

Chen

Postby Chen » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:57 am UTC

So far NG+ is horribly easy. Lightning Claymore +5 is strong enough that 3 - 4 strong attacks killed the first bell gargoyal and 2 killed the second. Capra demon was also easy with the Greatshield of Artorias since I just stood at the door, blocked his attacks and hit him in between until he died. Gaping demon was again super easy, didn't even get hit now that I knew exactly how to beat him. Going to take the shortcut through the Valley of the Drakes to Blighttown since I can't be bothered to do the whole top part of it again with the horrible frame rate and lighting issues. I really just want to get to Anor Londo and see how the Greatsword you make with Sif's soul compares to my current Claymore. I imagine it shouldn't take that long to get there at this rate.

Kag

Postby Kag » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:15 pm UTC

You guys wrote:This stuff is pretty overpowered

Nope.avi
Patch Notes wrote:Dark Souls 1.04 (2nd November)

Changes to the effectiveness of certain spells
Magic Shield and Greater Magic Shield
Tranquil Walk of Peace
Ring of Fog
Iron Flesh

Changes to equipment balance
Magic adjust balance >for pyromancy?

Multiplayer matching condition adjustments
Coop hosts will get the full ammount of souls when defeating a boss
Cracked red eye orb will not break when it fails
Adjust the amount of time you kill a enemy acquisition Seoul >what?
Adjusting items when defeated enemy drops

Some bosses will now drop "humanity" and "homeward bone"
Rare item and reinforcement materials have improved drop rate
Effect adjustment · Person may increase power by finding items >what?

Shop lineup adjustments

Undead merchant (M)
Bottomless box added
Undead merchant (F)
Normal, heavy and wooden arrows/bolts added
Andrei blacksmith
The Xena Donaru
When 火継ぎの祭祀場に移動後 is achieved the master key will be added >need condition
Giant blacksmith
Normal, heavy and feather/sniper arrows/bolts added
Titanite shard, large titanite shard, green titanite shard and twinkling titanite added
Repair box and the reinforce weapons/armor stuff added
Vamos blacksmith
Titanite shard added
Repair box and the reinforce weapons/armor stuff added
Ingward
Temporary curse added

Warriors of sunlight covenant requirements reduced (Requires 25 faith and reduced by 5 for every successful coop, required 50 faith before)
Reduced cost for absolution (Before: level × 2000, After: level × 500)
Adjusted lock on behavior
Enable modification of the case hangs >what?
Changed to level up display >to see number of souls required to level up?
Fixed infinite magic bug
Fixed input delay bug
Fixed Solaire of Astora not appearing in NG+ bug
Fixed bug regarding Kingseeker Frampt where feeding him materials can cause 99 items to go to 0 items
Fixed getting stuck in the map permanantly, ruining games
Fixed some English language translation errors

We apologize for the long time it took to long to deliver this update which will also make current printed guides obsolete.

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

A while ago, after the two bosses O&S I was at a complete loss of direction.
Spoiler:
I met the lady. Got lordvessel. Had heard that yellow gates would now open, but no. Serpent head sleeps. Farmed some in forest. Did random stuff. Serpent head sleeps. Killed the big bad wolf. Went by firelink again, serpent head is awake, and talking to him advanced the story. Huh. Did he send me specifically for the lord vessel? Don't remember.

He still sleeps sometimes,
haven't tried punching
him awake ..

The changed bleed mechanic is curious and strange. Also much more useful. (When foes attack you it's damage over time like in DS, but you attacking monsters is instant and percent-based. Pvp i dunno)

Edit: i forgot, patch notes sound great. Cheap arrows just at one out of the way place was odd. That reminds me, for a while I didn't buy the message stone since I assumed it was a consumable at 100g per message. Why else would you have to buy it?

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 am UTC

not baby Newt wrote:
Spoiler:
I met the lady. Got lordvessel. Had heard that yellow gates would now open, but no. Serpent head sleeps. Farmed some in forest. Did random stuff. Serpent head sleeps. Killed the big bad wolf. Went by firelink again, serpent head is awake, and talking to him advanced the story. Huh. Did he send me specifically for the lord vessel? Don't remember.

He still sleeps sometimes,
haven't tried punching
him awake ..

Spoiler:
Hitting him with anything wakes him up, and you can't make him mad at you by doing it. I chucked a fireball up his nose once.

I don't think he mentions the lordvessel specifically, but that is the reason you went to Anor Londo.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:53 pm UTC

Finally had the time and motivation to play more last night. Took out that

Spoiler:
stupid fat fire demon in the Demon Ruins, then the centipede. Centipede fight felt really stupid. Most of the time I felt like a blindfolded pinata smasher. Just flailing at something I couldn't see at all.

Now I'm a bit stuck though. Wondering if that ring will get me someplace new, since I can't see any place else to go in the ruins - except one route that had a note about needing a covenant to open. So Demon Ruins are done, unless I am missing something, but there should be a big boss down there...

Bought the light spell as well, so probably time to go to Giant's Tomb as well.

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

Spoiler:
Don't go to the giants' tomb!

I mean,if the covenant thing you mentioned was an orange barrier.. resolve that first.

Later part of Demon ruins:
Spoiler:
goddamn dinosaurs. Don't dare run a lot, and I can't read their body language up close. Stomp stomp dead.

Grr.

But wait. They can't follow me back here. Super annoying but cheeseable... they seem designed to be abused. And later there is open space. And they don't respawn, so I no longer hate the designers.

Later: lots if though foes, killing each time I die is boring. And to think this game often minimizes that.

... oh. Right. Running past them is an option walking even.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:17 pm UTC

Where you fought the centipede demon there's a passage to the left that leads to the rest of the demon ruins and to the big soul you need from down there.

Spoiler:
Those giant dinosaurs are easy to kill. Run to the place where you can get on top of the tower. Shoot multiple dinosaurs with bow. Watch as they jump on each other and kill each other. Then just snipe the last one thats standing.

Killed Ornstein and Smough with Ornstein last on NG+. Was actually quite difficult especially with mega-Ornstein's cheesy, can't be blocked insta-kill stab and explode move. Managed with Solair helping me by killing Smough quick and throwing fireballs at Ornstein while he dealt with Solair. Made his spear and found it too sucked compared to my Lightning Claymore. Same with Greatsword of Artorias because of its INSANELY slow heavy thrust attack. Probably won't be playing much more of this, what with Skyrim out tomorrow and all.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:14 am UTC

After about seven tries, managed to down The Four Kings on NG+ with two other people.

Damn they're tough.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:14 pm UTC

How does NG+ work? I assume I am about to finish the game(kiln of the first flame). Do I get to start a new character from scratch or do I continue with my existing character? If I continue, do I lost all gear, keys, spells and just keep my level?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

Haven't gotten there in Dark Souls yet, but if it's liek Demon's Souls you keep all your items and level. Any shortcuts you unlocked are now closed again, and all the enemies and bosses are back - and 40% harder.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

how about NPCs? Would they return if they accidentally fell on a sword a few dozen times in NG?

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

Yep. Essentially it's like you never played the game. So you (should) start in the Asylum, in the cell, with a pristine, untouched world.

Zapheod

Postby Zapheod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:15 pm UTC

Perfect! Time to go wack some NPCs(except those in my covenant)! The whole world will feel my wrath! muahahahahaha

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Grrrr, PvP in this game is obnoxious. Every fight I've been in that wasn't a 2v1 has had the other player just casting AoE spells until I'm down, or using Tranquil Walk of Peace and launching spells at me. There is no room for a melee build.

I did start up a Pyromancer about a week ago just for fun. It's ridiculous how easy it is, though some of that is probably just me improving my gameplay over when I started. But really, anything I found tough before? Fireball, walk through.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:13 pm UTC

So I've been playing this again, and thought I should bump the thread. The game world is just freaking enormous. So many places to go and things to see. I really, really love how they made it a game world, instead of a game 'line'. So many different parts connect, and you can even see how they connect visually from scenic overlooks.

I beat Four Kings a few nights ago. Right now, I'm not sure what I want to do. I would like to go for the platinum trophy, but that would require going to at least NG++, and I haven't beaten it.

So I'm in a holding pattern. Doing some farming to get as much as I can done in terms of making weapons, and upgrading armor. After that, I need to just say screw it and push through to beat the game.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Getting the platinum trophy was quite fun, and gives you a nice little goal to work towards.

It takes a long time if you don't farm the covenant items. I couldn't seem to get anyone (except darkwraiths) when I tried to gravelord.

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

Aaaand, Dark Souls is getting imported onto PC via Steam.

Woot! I'll be checking it out shortly; most of the reviews seem to like it with the biggest complaints being input lag and repetitive combat. Meh.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:30 pm UTC

philsov wrote:Aaaand, Dark Souls is getting imported onto PC via Steam.

I heard the game is unplayable on Mouse+Kb

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:04 pm UTC

It also uses GFWL. I was ready to rebuy it until that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:29 pm UTC

And it's locked at 30fps and I think it's resolution is internally locked at 1024 x 720, which is a thing people care about.

Or so I hear.

It's.... I really don't know how I feel about it. The only reason they're putting it on the PC was fan demand. And they're pretty much doing their best job to make sure it's one of the laziest yet playable ports ever. And I doubt there will be anything remotely approaching mod support.

On the other hand, it's a brutally fair game that will fairly kick your ass six ways from Sunday. And because it's fair, you.. well, you feel loss and defeat when you're killed, but you never think the game is being cheap or unfair. The game is still the same, it's just that you got sloppy. And games being on more platforms is always a good thing, as it allows people who may not have played it otherwise to play it, get it in their brainspace and go on to make more games influenced by it.

And I wouldn't mind playing more Dark/Demon's Souls inspired games.... with the usual caveat of "Provided they realize why it's good".

The why being that it's hard. Hard as fuck. And completely, utterly fair. Doesn't even try to hold your hand. It doesn't care if you figure it out or not. It's... well, compared to games from the NES days, it's easy to figure out. Compared to today's "Quest 1: Exit the Room. Step 1: Move to the door. Step 2; Turn the knob. Step 3. Open the door. Step 4. Step out. QUEST COMPLETE" with floating red arrows on everything, it's difficult to figure out where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to do. And that's just swell. We still need games that require you just blindly testing things until something works. Because half the time, you do it wrong and figure out a new thing anyway.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

You, sir, name?

Postby You, sir, name? » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

Heard that FPS and resolution can be changed, but are horribly unoptimized to the point where GTX6n0 series of cards struggle.
I edit my posts a lot and sometimes the words wrong order words appear in sentences get messed up.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Actually it is playable on M+Kb
If you don't want to lock on something with multiple enemies in range that is :(

Ghah, I picked up the Gargoyle Halberd. Using it with Great Magic Weapon.

Tried a few other weapons, always went back to that halberd. Good damage, very good resistances, incredibly useful light attack (it's a fast swing down with high range). And now I'm too used to it to switch to something else. I did switch to a +5 divine scimtiar for the Catacombs, but went back to the Halberd as soon as I could.

And sorcery with the bellowing ring and dusk helm seems ridiculously strong, homing crystal missiles destroy bosses in seconds. Firing part of the missiles then the rest is stupidly good in pvp, people always fail to dodge that.

Return to “Gaming”