Dork Soulds

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

emceng

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

Spent an hour last night shooting arrows at the dang dragon's tail. FInally got the drake sword, and didn't have enough STR to use it. :(

Found the hydra, a shortcut that I need a key to open, and the entrance to the Valley of the Drakes last night. Then said screw it and farmed for two levels so I could use the drake sword. Huge increase in damage. Also got a Black Knight's Halberd. Tons of damage, but needs something like 32 STR and 18 DEX.

Still haven't found a single weapon that scales on INT.

Also, a question - Do pyromancy spells scale with int? I dropped two points into INT and one into whatever gives you more spell slots. I am doing the exact same damage with fireball against the bush/tree guys. Not a single point more. I didn't think to check soul arrow damage and such.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

Was just browsing though Dark Soul stats and came across this

Intelligence governs the Spell Power and increases the resistance to the curse status.

Some Sorceries require a minimum intelligence level to be learned.

NOTE: This stat does NOT increase pyromancy spell power. Pyromancy power comes only from the catalyst. You can however upgrade your flame to scale off Intelligence.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

My game locked up last night in the middle of play. Hopefully this is not a common occurence. However, it was nice enough to start at the EXACT point where I locked up, so all good in the end.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 pm UTC

My game almost locked up last night, started to stutter and slow down.

This wouldn't have been that bad, except for the fact I had stumbled across a dark knight and was currently running for my life.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

Yeah, I've had quite a few minor little stutters. Nothing too bad, no deaths because of it. Just sometimes get a little pause.

I took a long lunch and went home to play :) Farmed souls for a bit so I could buy greater mega soul arrow, or whatever it is called. Took out Capra Demon too. Was way easier with a weapon that does some real damage. Think the Drake Sword tripled my melee damage. Then I got lost in the sewers.

Thinking about giving the butterfly a try, using the three soul arrow spells I have now.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm UTC

Killed the butterfly. At first i tried heavy soul arrows, was working, then died to a spell because I was casting.

So I just waited, dodging everything. When it comes to melee range, hit it.

Did that twice and it died.

Also, stood outside the Capra demon door.

And it's dead. Wooohooo

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:27 pm UTC

Chen wrote:So even if its got "A" scaling, the gain per stat point still diminishes at higher stat levels?

Yes. Actually having 50 strength is not a very good idea. The unique drop bow has S scaling with dex, though, so that might be worth investing some.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:24 am UTC

Alright, I'm on PS3, does anyone else have weird graphical glitches? Like, lines stretching across the screen off of enemies is common. Sometimes if I turn the camera the right way, a wall will smear and stretch indefinitely as well.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

Played a bunch this weekend and got to Anor Londo. Even playing offline, using humanity to become human can be pretty useful. There are scripted invasions it seems at certain points if you're in human mode. Got invaded by one guy outside the Swamp near the bonfire. Was easy to kill and if you do kill her you can summon her to help with the boss. Still haven't found a boss that is as frustrating as the Capra demon fight, though the Iron golem at the end of Sen's Fortress is a bit of a pain since the platform is SOO small and his hits knock you back far. Still his attacks are very telegraphed and its pretty easy to dodge once you get the hang of it. Priscilla in the Painted World is pretty interesting though I found the best way to deal with her when invisible was just to run to the narrow ledge and wait til you see footprints in front of you. I hit her 3 times with the Lightning spear and she would become visible again. Only had to do that a couple of times and she died. Couldn't manage to cut off her tail though which apparently gets you a decent dagger.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Alright, I'm on PS3, does anyone else have weird graphical glitches? Like, lines stretching across the screen off of enemies is common. Sometimes if I turn the camera the right way, a wall will smear and stretch indefinitely as well.

I've got it on PS3, and haven't seen any issues.

I too played quite a bit this weekend. Demolished a number of enemies. The Gaping Dragon is one of the coolest enemies I've ever seen. Kind of stuck again at this point. I have Blighttown, Dark Root Forest, and New Londo Ruins left. Need to farm souls to get curses for New Londo, Blighttown I need to stop freaking falling off of things, and the forest...I don't know. I can take out the casters pretty easily. I could even take out the ghosts I think, if I could lock onto them. Not being able to do that makes it too hard to kill them.

Decker

Postby Decker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

ProZac wrote:Alright, I'm on PS3, does anyone else have weird graphical glitches? Like, lines stretching across the screen off of enemies is common. Sometimes if I turn the camera the right way, a wall will smear and stretch indefinitely as well.

I hate to say it, but this sounds like the symptoms I had on my computer when my graphics card was dieing. Try some other games and see if you get any similar symptoms. If you do, your PS3 might be on it's last legs.
I was angry with my friend. I told my wrath. My wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe. I told it not. My wrath did grow.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

Decker wrote:

I hate to say it, but this sounds like the symptoms I had on my computer when my graphics card was dieing. Try some other games and see if you get any similar symptoms. If you do, your PS3 might be on it's last legs.
It's definitely only a Dark Souls thing. I just finished playing Catherine, started Dark Souls the next day, and this was happening with less than an hour of play. The game has also locked on me a few more times, and it's just getting all around frustrating.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

emceng wrote:I too played quite a bit this weekend. Demolished a number of enemies. The Gaping Dragon is one of the coolest enemies I've ever seen. Kind of stuck again at this point. I have Blighttown, Dark Root Forest, and New Londo Ruins left. Need to farm souls to get curses for New Londo, Blighttown I need to stop freaking falling off of things, and the forest...I don't know. I can take out the casters pretty easily. I could even take out the ghosts I think, if I could lock onto them. Not being able to do that makes it too hard to kill them.

Blighttown is terrible and the swamp below it is even worse. But its not that long. I think there's a shortcut towards the boss if you go in through the Ogre cave in the Valley of the Drakes. The not locking onto things in the forest is probably the biggest challenge of those knights. Get something that has wide swings and they're fairly easy to kill. Or just drag them to the edge and push them off. That works surprisingly well. I don't think you're supposed to be in New Londo yet. I think the supposed path there is significantly later in the game.

ProZac wrote:It's definitely only a Dark Souls thing. I just finished playing Catherine, started Dark Souls the next day, and this was happening with less than an hour of play. The game has also locked on me a few more times, and it's just getting all around frustrating.

Have you played other games since? I haven't read any review or anything that mention stability or graphical glitches with the game. The only technical issue I've seen is loss of framerate in certain places.

ProZac

Postby ProZac » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:03 pm UTC

Chen wrote:
ProZac wrote:It's definitely only a Dark Souls thing. I just finished playing Catherine, started Dark Souls the next day, and this was happening with less than an hour of play. The game has also locked on me a few more times, and it's just getting all around frustrating.

Have you played other games since? I haven't read any review or anything that mention stability or graphical glitches with the game. The only technical issue I've seen is loss of framerate in certain places.

Not since, true enough. I suppose I should try. I know the lockup isn't exclusive to me, as I did run a search for that and find exactly what I was experiencing to others. Complete lock up, XMB still works, quitting game shutdowns the system. [People] seem to say that it's caused by being online, taking it offline will get rid of that.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

Serious Answer : Perhaps, but I'd fire up Catherine for an hour or two, let the system get good'n'hot and see if it goes wonky.

(andajoke) Wait, that's a terrible idea. How would you know if it got strange?
/HA HA Catherine's a weird game.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Llef

Postby Llef » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Woot, just finished my first run through as a sorcery using . . . sorcerer. Went through the first time without looking at any online guides or anything, so now for new game + I'm gonna go check online and get all the cool weapons/armor and areas that I most likely missed the first time through. If anyone needs any advice on areas/bosses/playing as a magic user ask away. I'll help if I can.

I'm on the ps3 and I haven't had any graphical glitches, slowdown in a few spots, but no glitches.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

I think there's a shortcut towards the boss if you go in through the Ogre cave in the Valley of the Drakes.

You can't go that way without the master key.

Chen wrote:I don't think you're supposed to be in New Londo yet. I think the supposed path there is significantly later in the game.

Technically you can do it at any time, but it's near the end of the standard path through the game.
The Great Hippo wrote:I am starting to regret having used 'goat-fucker' in this context.

Chen

Postby Chen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

Kag wrote:You can't go that way without the master key.

Can't you go through the Forest to get to the Valley though (the elevator down past the Knight with the Halberd guarding the Grass Crest Shield)? Of course thats assuming there's a key to the door to New Londo somewhere in the valley. I had the Master Key so I didn't notice. It really seems like the Master Key is by far the best starting gift. Or an insane bonus for a thief.

Technically you can do it at any time, but it's near the end of the standard path through the game.

True, but I found the ghosts pretty damn hard to kill and 4k per Transient Curse is pretty damn expensive early game.

Llef

Postby Llef » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:08 pm UTC

I believe you have to go through blightown through the depths to get the key to open up the other side. I can be wrong though as I also played through with the master key :/

The ghosts have a decent chance of dropping more transient curses. I finished that area with about 8 or 9 in my inventory and I never bought any.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:40 pm UTC

Managed to kill the Hydra and the Stray Demon tonight.

The stray demon... Oh my god...
I don't get angry when playing this normally, but this boss.

About a hour and a half of back to back tries. Some lasting only 10 seconds before he two shot me.

Finally got him, and was rewarded with 20k souls (Will be spent on the key to the forest) and a slab of titanite.

Chen

Postby Chen » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Still haven't killed that Stray Demon yet. Got my ass handed to me by Ornstein and Smough though. Killed Lautrec so I may need to use his ring to help defeat those two. I don't like being constrained to not taking it off though. I also kinda want to kill Ornstein last since his armor is cool and I wouldn't mind making his spear, but man it seems FAR more difficult to do that way. I'm already level 51 so I don't think thats the issue. It seems to be more of a being able to do things right issue. I'm also torn on using my Lightning Spear vs my fancy new Quelaggs Furysword. The sword seems to do less damage and it seems to make me far more vulnerable than my spear. I keep seeing people saying its fantastic but right now it doesn't seem to be the case.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Bought the seal to the Forest, and it's the best decision I've made. Within minutes of going into the forest. I had gone up 5 levels.

You can aggro them, run back to the entrance and stand on a ledge. They will try to attack you from above, land on you, then fall off a cliff. Netting like 1-2k souls each. Getting about 3-4k souls a run, which takes about 30seconds to a minute.

Also, can anyone explain weapon scaling?
I understand it what it is supposed to do, but I'm not seeing the results.
I have my scimitar, which scales from Dex 'B rating'. I'm raising my dex, but I'm not seeing the numbers on the scimitar go up. It remains on 144.

Should the number go up with every level, or does it jump up every 5-10 levels?
The Number I mean is the one on the far left. Eg, 200 for the drake sword.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:43 pm UTC

The number on the far left won't change, it's the + number that will change.

Had a crappy evening on this last night. Beat Queelag, but
Spoiler:
Killed the pyromancer vendor because I didn't know he was a friendly.
Then that gold armored asshole killed the firekeeper at firelink. So now New Londo ruins are going to be a huge pain in the ass, because if I die I'll have to run back from the fucking blacksmith tower.

Also, not sure how you're killing those guys in the forest though. The frigging ghost guys demolish me.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

As soon as you enter the forest, look left. You'll see a ledge below you *Fall off it and you die kind of ledge.

Run into the forest and agro them, then run straight to the ledge and block. Then wait
Eventually, they'll run up the stairs to your right, and try to attack you from above. They'll swing off the ledge, fall down to your ledge, then fall off the cliff. Netting free souls.

The mage sometimes doesn't run at you straight away, and will try to soul arrow you.

And thanks for the explanation. That makes sense.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:22 am UTC

emceng wrote:
Spoiler:
So now New Londo ruins are going to be a huge pain in the ass, because if I die I'll have to run back from the fucking blacksmith tower.

Why would you even want to go there?

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:01 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Had a crappy evening on this last night. Beat Queelag, but
Spoiler:
Killed the pyromancer vendor because I didn't know he was a friendly.
Then that gold armored asshole killed the firekeeper at firelink. So now New Londo ruins are going to be a huge pain in the ass, because if I die I'll have to run back from the fucking blacksmith tower.

Also, not sure how you're killing those guys in the forest though. The frigging ghost guys demolish me.

Spoiler:
The order they expect you to go in is Sen's Fortress and then Anor Londo before the New Londo Ruins. They even show you when that huge gate opens after you ring the second bell.

As for the ghosts in the forest its pretty cheap to just exploit the pathfinding to run them off the edge. The first ghost guy with the sword and shield is a bit of a pain but he doesn't respawn. After that its easy to kill the mage, priest and axe warrior without really exploiting anything.

Fully upgraded my Quelagg's Furysword and killed both the Hydra and Sif who I presume I should have killed a LONG time ago since they were super easy. Guess I'll save up to make Sif's shield this run since the sword, while having godly scaling is apparently not so great on the first playthrough since you won't have all the skills up high for it.

I still haven't figured out what armor I want to be wearing yet. Currently I have the Silver Knight Helmet, Havel's chest, Gold-rimmed robes pants and Leather Gloves +5. The problem is all the cool looking armor seems to need Twinkling Titanite and I have NO clue where to get more of that. I also heard that some armor (notably the heavy stuff) reduces Stamina regeneration. I haven't found anything that really documents this though. Anyone have any ideas about it? Will wearing the Silver Knight helmet and Havel's armor be enough to noticeable reduce my regen?

Oh and Ornstein and Smough still destroy me when I try fighting them. I need to find some sort of strategy for these two. I'm at the point where I don't even mind killing Ornstein first I just want them dead.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Chen wrote:The problem is all the cool looking armor seems to need Twinkling Titanite and I have NO clue where to get more of that.

It's farmable from those clam enemies. You can also get a few from those crystal geckos, and trade for some from snuggly.

Will wearing the Silver Knight helmet and Havel's armor be enough to noticeable reduce my regen?

No. The pieces that reduce stamina regen say so in their description. Just having heavy armor on won't do it on its own.

Oh and Ornstein and Smough still destroy me when I try fighting them. I need to find some sort of strategy for these two. I'm at the point where I don't even mind killing Ornstein first I just want them dead.

Back away and use the pillars to try and separate them. You'll find an opening eventually. Note that Smough is weak to lightning. Once you get one down, just learn their attack strings and swing when it's safe. If you screw up you'll die but it's pretty straightforward.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

Kag wrote:
emceng wrote:
Spoiler:
So now New Londo ruins are going to be a huge pain in the ass, because if I die I'll have to run back from the fucking blacksmith tower.

Why would you even want to go there?

Because it was there, and there are guys to kill? I did what I could in there last night. Which wasn't much farther than I had gotten before. Met the old dude in red, looted some stuff, and guess that's it for now. Got a little farther in Sen's last night too. Pretty annoyed with it. My biggest issue is the damned lightning snake at the top of the second walkway. She's knocked me off about 5 times.

Oh, and what's the deal with the gold hemmed armor? It's really good, and I wanted to upgrade it, but it wasn't an option at the smith's tower.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

I'm at that point in Sen's Fortress.
Tried it once or twice, then decided to go fart around in Valley of the Drakes. Might see if I can try it again, maybe summon some people and power through it. If thats possible.

Kag

Postby Kag » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Oh, and what's the deal with the gold hemmed armor? It's really good, and I wanted to upgrade it, but it wasn't an option at the smith's tower.

For whatever reason you just can't upgrade it. It's kind of like the Drake Sword, in that once you invest a bunch of souls into other things, they'll be way better, but it's a solid set that you can pick up and use for a LONG time.

emceng

Postby emceng » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:22 pm UTC

The annoying part was even using slow fall or whatever it's called, you still die from that fall. After that bitch killed me the latest time I said screw it and went down to the catacombs. Having some success there. Kinda pissed though, I think I let two crystal lizards get away :(

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

They'll be back.

They keep respawning until you kill them.

Chen

Postby Chen » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:04 pm UTC

emceng wrote:The annoying part was even using slow fall or whatever it's called, you still die from that fall. After that bitch killed me the latest time I said screw it and went down to the catacombs. Having some success there. Kinda pissed though, I think I let two crystal lizards get away :(

Are you talking about the one RIGHT next to the door where there's a 4 pendulum run you have to make? I just stuck my head out the doorway and threw fireballs at it until it died. Trying to make the running with those pendulums is practically impossible. Alternatively you could kill the hydra, save the girl and buy the invisiblity spell from her. Its pretty expensive though and I dont know if its actual true invisibility. Firebombs works too if you don't have the spells.

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:10 pm UTC

emceng wrote:Still haven't found a single weapon that scales on INT.

Beat the moonlight butterfly, and get a +10 enchanted spear. Bring it to the smith in anor londo, and you can get the moonlight spear. Its a unique magic-damage-only spear with good int-stat scaling. Good if you're going for a int-caster as it can be 1handed pretty well and has decent reach for people who don't have the stats for normal stand-and-fight engagements.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Success, Sen's Fortress is now complete. Off to Anor Londo!

not baby Newt

Postby not baby Newt » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:09 pm UTC

Back away and use the pillars to try and separate them. You'll find an opening eventually. Note that Smough is weak to lightning. Once you get one down, just learn their attack strings and swing when it's safe. If you screw up you'll die but it's pretty straightforward.

I found them very hard and found no humanity in the area. Once I came back as human there was a helpful npc summonable phantom like at most bosses. Also saving the big one for last was best as the other(smough?) was harder to survive.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

not baby Newt wrote:

I found them very hard and found no humanity in the area. Once I came back as human there was a helpful npc summonable phantom like at most bosses. Also saving the big one for last was best as the other(smough?) was harder to survive.

Ok, my strategy was based on being an INT build. I hit Orns with soul arrows while constantly backing away and rolling away when he attacked. Kept going in a circle and it worked pretty well. Then Smough was left. Used my last few soul arrows, then attacked him. Dodged or rolled away whenever he seemed to be making a move, then stabbed once or twice and backed off.

Weekend progress: Fuck Anor Londo. Specifically the part with the two archers. I spent 3 fucking hours at that spot. 3 HOURS. Fuck. Makes me seriously question if I will even go through NG+. Plus, the location of the bonfires is kind of stupid. The one on the lower level is almost completely pointless.

Tried the Scaleless last night. Did well until he one shotted me with some crazy attack that also cursed me. Also hate the crystal caverns. Invisible bridges - no thanks.

Finally found a weapon that has a bonus based on INT. Too bad I need 3 more DEX to use it :( Also got a magic ember, but no smith will work with it. Still haven't found an ugichatana.

So basically I'm a little frustrated at this point. Probably try the Demon Ruins for now.

Vapour

Postby Vapour » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:11 pm UTC

Near the end of Anor Londo now. In massive room where I have to use the Black Eye orb.

Struggling with that currently, it doesn't seem too difficult. I'm just struggling to do it in one health pool. So for now, I've gone back to training to get 12 faith for heal. Looking forward to the next boss :D

Llef

Postby Llef » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:48 pm UTC

Hey Emceng, I went through the game with an int based build as well. The smith that can use the magic and enchanted embers is right at the beginning of the game. From the Firelight shrine go down the stairs into the new londo ruins. As soon as you get down the elevator take a right until you hit a cliff overlooking the water, there will be some stairs leading down to the left. Head down the stairs a little and the smith will be in a jail cell to your left (don't fall in the water, the path ends abruptly).
You don't have to deal with any ghosts to get here, just the zombies who stand around and do nothing. If you hit any ghosts, you went to far in the wrong direction.

If you ever have to deal with those archers again, the invisibility spell + the silence ring is golden. You can buy the invisibility spell from Dusk after killing the hydra and freeing her from the golden golem that appears in that spot, I can't remember off the top of my head where I got the silence ring from :/

As for the scaleless, what worked for me was staying close to him and strafing in one direction. Trying to stay right up against where his tail met the front of his body. Stay in that formation, cast spells when you get a chance, and back up when he does his crystal attacks.

The only uchigatana I found in the game is dropped from the first merchant in the undead burg. The one that sells the residence key.

Kag

Postby Kag » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

The one on the lower level is almost completely pointless.

No, you just don't know what it's for.

Also, you can buy all manner of katanas and stuff from a merchant that only appears if you're part of the Forest Covenant.

Return to “Gaming”