Dork Soulds

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Mishrak

Re: Dork Soulds

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:44 am UTC

Jebobek wrote:Started playing for the last month on and off between taking care of my new baby!

-I am super glad I read about this game and the patience I need for it, especially after hitting the first brick wall for me (Carpe Demon + Doggies). Still, seeing how they can, while mid-air, alter trajectory to still come straight down on you as you're trying to get up those stairs...

-I should never click on challenge/walkthrough videos, because watching them lvl1 through content to get gear is disheartening! Well I suppose this game has some megaman-2 kind of muscle memory and mechanics learning which allows for feelings of empowerment.

Welcome! There /is/ definitely some muscle memory and mechanics to learn and get skilled at. You will probably run into bosses that take hours for you to defeat. I would encourage you to just keep trying new things. Try to avoid watching LPs and solution videos - you'll get so much better at the game because of it. Also, once you kill something that has taken you ages to beat, it's extremely satisfying and it's not something you get to experience in games much these days. You also only get one shot at that feeling, so don't waste it.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:03 pm UTC

My predilection has always been for glass cannon builds. My latest character is STR, END, VIT, and nothing else. Brass Set armor, Black knight greatsword, wolf ring and ring of steel protection are the only equipment that I use.

I have so much armor and poise that I just eat hits and swing my giant paddle which inevitably breaks the poise of any non-boss that I fight, which means instant death for them. It's kind of exhilarating to be so tough. It's also kind of frightening, as both my other characters are dex/magicks, with almost no armor or poise at all.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 pm UTC

My favorite build has probably been the medium armor spellsword build. It uses a weapon like the Man-serpent Greatsword, Claymore, or 1h Mace and a shield. It runs 40 str /end, 25 int for CMW and the rest into attunement (for GMW, CMW and Power Within) and Vitality. Also uses some combination of Elite Knight Armor, Knight Armor, and some other cloth pieces but I forget what atm. That's the heaviest armor I can use and still fast roll. If I can't fast roll I just don't even bother anymore.

Azrael001

Postby Azrael001 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:04 pm UTC

I've got something like 44 end so that I can medium roll while using both the black knight great sword and brass set. To fast roll, I'd need something like 60 end and Havel's ring. And that's just silly.

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:19 am UTC

I got invaded by two separate hackers in the last couple of days. The first one was named coolaid something or other and he invaded my world as a level 100 or so to my level 10. I figure about level 100 since I got three crits (two drop attacks and a backstab) + 6 regular hits in with a battle axe and took a grand total of maybe 10% of his health bar and he was wielding Havel's dragons tooth club (requires 40 strength, plus given the health pool required at least another 20 point investment in vitality) all while I'm still wearing the starter gear and just stepping out of firelink shrine for the first time. I'm willing to write that one off as maybe possibly the game screwing up. The second one was without any doubt hacking as he had a one-hit kill curse inflicting sword (there are no player weapons that inflict curse), not to mention I had 1500 health and 190 curse resistance at the time. That one was named Admiral Adnurak.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:41 am UTC

Both of those were probably hackers. Seems to be a bit of a problem with the Dark Souls pvp scene, especially on PC.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:23 pm UTC

So hacking isn't as bad as I thought in the PC arena. I've been enjoying the heck out of pvp and wish I'd gotten into it sooner. The only drawback is GFWL is a steamy pile of poop. It makes me glad for Twitch fight clubs and DSCFix which From's latest patch has temporarily broken. >< Ah well. Anyone else pvp on the PC version?

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:03 pm UTC

So Dark Souls 2 comes out in three weeks! I'm pretty excited. I recently went back to play the first a bit, as I was excited for the new one. I've now decided to try and hit platinum.

It's going well. Right now I'm missing: Sunlight covenant, Knight's Honor, Pyro, miracle, sorcery, and Darkwraith. Sorcery I'm 1 away, just need to do Big Hat's thing. Pyro I'm also 1 away, should hit that tonight. Miracles are going to be my issue. I don't have a faith build, and cripes, you get miracles everywhere. I'm probably going to just use my first guy to hit it, since he has to get to NG++ anyway for the 3rd Sif soul. Worried about making sure Rhea doesn't die, etc.

Question - does anyone know how the Sunlight 25 faith thing works? Wiki says you can reduce that by using the white soapstone. Does that reset when you beat Gwyn? Because I helped people in my original game, but haven't in NG+, and can't seem to join it. Oh, and crap - does covenant reset when you finish the game? I don't want to join Sunlight, then have to rejoin in NG++ to use Gwyn's soul.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:19 pm UTC

does covenant reset when you finish the game?

Almost positive yes. You'll need to get to 25 Faith (or help people) for sunlight, get 30 humanity for Chaos, etc.

And given your level, getting summoned miiiiight take some time.
The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:22 pm UTC

As I recall, the bosscount is reset on NG+, so you'll need to start over with assists.

Whenever you leave a covenant, your contributions towards advancement are halved as well, so that's something to note, particularly for the Dragon one.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:56 pm UTC

Well crap. I'm excited to try for platinum, but the miracles are just a drain on that excitement. Everything else is within my grasp. Just have to grind through bosses and beat Gwyn a 2nd time.
When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up. - CS Lewis

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm UTC

You need to do that anyway to make all the weapons. I think it's a minimum of 2.5 playthroughs to get all the souls needed, as you need to get to Anor Londo and need at least 3 Sif souls.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

emceng

Postby emceng » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 pm UTC

Yeah, that's what I mean. I know I need to get to a 3rd playthrough, but miracles might mean having to level another character, and since one miracle requires Gwyn's soul, I might have to have him beat the game too.

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:29 pm UTC

I did it! Ground out the last achievements. I think I ended up getting every single one on one character. Ended up having to dump 17 points into faith on my sorcery build just so I could join the Sunlight covenant. Was pretty easy though, not much grinding for souls. I was on NG+, and had to beat bosses anyway to get to Anor Londo. So with Taurus, Gargoyle, Sif, S&O, and Queelag's souls, it went pretty quickly.

Silver Knight shield was the biggest pain to farm. Killed over 100 of them, probably in the 120-140 range, to get it. Seaths tail was also annoying. Glad I got the Drake sword before they changed things though. Still think the archers in Anor Londo are the worst part of the game. Tail weapons were the hardest set to get, or maybe just the most annoying.

I do wish it was a little easier to figure out how to find good soul weapons will be good for a build. The Gwyn soul sword seems neat, but none of my current guys would use it. Same with Seath's tail sword - not nearly as good as a +5 enchanted blade.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:51 pm UTC

What, you can't snipe the tail anymore?

emceng

Postby emceng » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:59 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:What, you can't snipe the tail anymore?

Yeah, I thought they changed it so you can't snipe the tail. Though now that I think about it, maybe they just changed it so he regenerates, so you can't snipe him to death from under the bridge.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:48 pm UTC

They finally patched GFWL out of Dark Souls on the Steam version. I'm not sure if they've done anything else, but I've already been hearing of increased performance with load times and such. Has anyone gotten a chance to see what the multiplayer is like? I just migrated my save data over last night. Also DS fix has been updated as well (which I still need to install).

Ryom

Postby Ryom » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:51 pm UTC

I migrated to Steamworks Dark Souls. My saves imported no problem, and I ran a few invasions without issue. Load times were always quick for me, and the updated DSFIX is working as it should.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 am UTC

Interesting. I'm curious to hear further reports of how that's working out, because I used to play Street Fighter on gwaffle, and that worked great, but when it moved to Steam(works) it became completely awful and nearly unplayable for me. But Dark Souls was pretty finicky to begin with, requiring mods and stuff just to make it run properly, so I can't imagine it would get much worse, except for the possibility that Steam does something to ruin the functionality of the mods without fixing the problems they were addressing.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:41 pm UTC

I've never played Demon Souls, or either Dark Souls but they sound like the kind of game I like. Long hard skill based epic boss battles. (My favorite game series is Monster Hunter).

That said, I don't have that much free time which is why I've waited so long to get any of these games. If I was only going to play one which one should I play?
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:43 pm UTC

If you were only going to play one, I think I'd say Dark Souls 1.

Demons Souls is very very good, but it lacks some of the polish that Dark Souls 1 had.

Return to “Gaming”