Playing classic RPGs

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

turret

Playing classic RPGs

Postby turret » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

I've never had the patience to finish a 'true' RPG, every time I've started one I couldn't wait to do anything and inevitable quit within a couple of days.
I have resolved to play through the entirety of at least one, and I have come to ask you two things.

Are there any things I should know prior to starting (any particular choices I should make, classes, proficiencies etc.)?
What game should I play? The ones I've got available right now are Icewind Dale, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate I and II. If you have any suggestions for others, please let us hear them.
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

Levi

Re: Playing classic RPGs

Postby Levi » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:22 am UTC

The only RPG I can remember finishing was Golden Sun. I had so much fun playing that game, but I was 10 or so when I did, so YMMV. I might finish Oblivion, which is what I'm currently playing, but that's not really in the classic style. I'm playing the Nehrim mod and it's one of if not the best RPG I've ever played. That's not really saying much though, since I've only played... I dunno, maybe five?

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:25 am UTC

turret wrote:Icewind Dale, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate I and II.
Just going off this list...

Baldur's Gate I & 2, Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale.. in that order. My reasoning being that games should get better and more involved and more interesting and different and strange and weird as you go... and then you need a release where you basically just bash on things, basically a "Press This Button To Fill This Bar and Level Up" game. aka Icewind Dale.

All that said, all of these have a bit of a learning curve to them, with Planescape: Toment being the "easiest" as, you literally cannot die*. It's also one of the odder ones.

*Without spoiling anything, yes, you cannot die.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

psion

Postby psion » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 am UTC

turret wrote:I couldn't wait to do anything

I'm not sure what you mean by this. You're not waiting to do anything in those games. What you consider to be waiting IS the doing. If that doesn't interest you, then it doesn't interest you.

turret

Postby turret » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:11 pm UTC

psion wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by this. You're not waiting to do anything in those games. What you consider to be waiting IS the doing. If that doesn't interest you, then it doesn't interest you.

I mean that I couldn't wait to get to the more involved parts of the story, I was too impatient to get through the introduction (for example, in Fallout, I think it was, I just clicked around, and when nothing immediately happened, my sometimes short attention span just made me quit the game)
You see here what you want to see. It is rather weird that you would want to see something affirming your seeing what you want to see. You, my friend, are a weird person.

Minchandre

Postby Minchandre » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:13 pm UTC

Add also Arcanum to the list. And Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic 2. I also really enjoyed Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, in all its buggy glory. I never considered it classic ('cause of the 3D, I guess), but it's like a decade old by now, so that's cool.

If you have a newer rig, Dragon Age: Origins captures a the feel of the old RPGs quite well, with the advantage of pretty graphics and new controls and such.

Serrin

Postby Serrin » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:10 pm UTC

Dude, I don't care how less old it is, Vampire: The Masquerade:Bloodlines is a classic. At least now it is. Vampire: The Masquerade:Redemption, on the other hand...

no.

But I second the proposed play order. It's based upon sound enough logic.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:17 am UTC

turret wrote:I mean that I couldn't wait to get to the more involved parts of the story, I was too impatient to get through the introduction (for example, in Fallout, I think it was, I just clicked around, and when nothing immediately happened, my sometimes short attention span just made me quit the game)
If you can't make it past intro sequences, I think you're better off playing FPSs, puzzle games, and strategy games. Very few RPGs are good for much beyond the story / progression experience.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

SummerGlauFan

Postby SummerGlauFan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 am UTC

Fallout 1 is a great choice as an intro RPG because both it's story (an RPG's strength) and it's relative shortness.

Fallout 2, on the other hand... I have owned that game for more than a decade and have still not done everything in it.
glasnt wrote:"As she raised her rifle against the creature, her hair fluttered beneath the red florescent lighting of the locked down building.

I knew from that moment that she was something special"

Outbreak, a tale of love and zombies.

In stores now.

Hale
Location: Las Cruces, NM, USoA; NA, Terra; Sol, Outer edge Western Spiral Arm, Milky Way.

Postby Hale » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:47 am UTC

It's a much newer game, but DragonAge:Origins really captures most of the feel of the old ones, without being overly complicated.

Fix'd that so people would know what the hell you're talking about. Like, you know, the kind of person who's probably not all up on the RPG scene these days. Or ever.

Could everyone in this thread remember to do that? That'd be awesome. And super. - ST
I make no claims to sanity, spelling, grammar, or really any content worth reading in my post. I also edit them.

jaysus

Postby jaysus » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:49 pm UTC

System Shock 2, absolute classic. Over 15 years old, graphics are still a pleasure, submersion is superb. Play after dark.

luvnotwar

Postby luvnotwar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:11 am UTC

Chrono Trigger. Seriously.

It's at least worth one play through, though I must admit I've played it much more than that.

Technical Ben

Postby Technical Ben » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm UTC

Is it an age thing? I mean, When I was younger I played FF7 (Final Fantasy 7. Phew. Nearly made a big mistake there. ;) ). But I'd struggle now. Perhaps I had more time?
The likes of the SNES Zelda games I could probably replay. But they tend to be simpler. I have played Fallout and Oblivion in recent years. But they play more like a FPS at times.
It's all physics and stamp collecting.
It's not a particle or a wave. It's just an exchange.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

luvnotwar wrote:Chrono Trigger. Seriously.

It's at least worth one play through, though I must admit I've played it much more than that.

Well, going back on it with modern standarts...
70% of the game is linear, there is no customization (aside from the accessory - yeah), and... well, my list of gripes is surprisingly limited :shock:.

And my sister played it... 10... 20 times? She got all the endings (the Frog one was hilarious). Tis' rather freaky.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:06 pm UTC

I'd also suggest Secret of Mana or Secret of Evermore for two games that involve a bit more involved action than most traditional RPGs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

pseudoidiot
Sexy Beard Man

Postby pseudoidiot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:53 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:I'd also suggest Secret of Mana
Strongly seconded
Derailed : Gaming Outside the Box.
SecondTalon wrote:*swoons* I love you, all powerful pseudoidiot!
ShootTheChicken wrote:I can't stop thinking about pseudoidiot's penis.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:59 pm UTC

Technical Ben wrote:The likes of the SNES Zelda games I could probably replay. But they tend to be simpler.
I enjoyed those games quite a bit, but I can't bring myself to finish current incarnations of that series. I can't imagine trying to play the old ones without nostalgia to keep me interested.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:51 pm UTC

I haven't enjoyed the current versions nearly as much as Link to the Past or Links Awakening, tbh.

What about action 'rpgs' like Megaman or Gargoyles Quest?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Lucrece

Postby Lucrece » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:45 pm UTC

I loved Super Mario RPG, the first installment Paper Mario (the later sequels were too short and hollow imo), and Tales of Symphonia I.

Tales of Symphonia I in particular along with Paper Mario was just fascinating.
Belial wrote:That's charming, Nancy, but all I hear when you talk is a bunch of yippy dog sounds.

mosc
Doesn't care what you think.

Postby mosc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:20 pm UTC

How old does it have to be? KOTOR and Morrowind both hold up extremely well though you may not consider them old enough? KOTOR is the standard for the extremely successful bioware Renaissance we've been having. Morrowind's graphics can be suped up with a download and if you don't mind actually reading text instead of crappy voice acting, it's still pretty up to date.

If you want something more retro, I'd tell you to look at console games. A lot of the old PC games didn't age very gracefully. I think there's a lot of 16-bit RPGs though that are still spectacular.
Title: It was given by the XKCD moderators to me because they didn't care what I thought (I made some rantings, etc). I care what YOU think, the joke is forums.xkcd doesn't care what I think.

broken_escalator
They're called stairs

Postby broken_escalator » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:32 pm UTC

I second playing Tales of Symphonia. I would also like to submit Final Fantasy Legend II from the gameboy. Although I was never sure what game I was playing when I was little, I knew it was awesome (It said final fantasy but it wasn't final fantasy...). I think it qualifies as a classic more than Tales of Symphonia if we're talking about age.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:59 pm UTC

You might want to try bahamut lagoon on a Snes Emulator.

Surprisingly interesting plot, and original and interesting combat system (until your dragons become unkillable phoenixes of flying doom - then you can just leave it on autopilot).

hatten

Postby hatten » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:51 am UTC

Anybody else noticed the original poster haven't answered in this thread for more than three weeks?

I wanna be the guy is one of my favourite games, ever.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:35 pm UTC

hatten wrote:Anybody else noticed the original poster haven't answered in this thread for more than three weeks?
There's not much to add, perhaps? And I Want To Be The Guy is ... astoundingly off-topic. Astoundingly. Like saying "I like Civ 4" in a First Person Shooter thread.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

hatten

Postby hatten » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:48 pm UTC

Oh, for some reason I thought it fitted in last night, I should refrain from posting when I'm half asleep. Sorry =p

Telchar
That's Admiral 'The Hulk' Ackbar, to you sir

Postby Telchar » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:36 pm UTC

Can't beleive no one mentioned Earthbound in this thread....

I think Fallout 2 brings the action pretty quick. The problem with the RPGs getting you into action fast is that, in addition to them being about story, it would be a pretty shitty game if you could just run around doing epic shit at level 1.
Zamfir wrote:Yeah, that's a good point. Everyone is all about presumption of innocence in rape threads. But when Mexican drug lords build APCs to carry their henchmen around, we immediately jump to criminal conclusions without hard evidence.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:44 pm UTC

Eh, depends on how you do the characterization. Start with taking on the Dog Street Gang terrorizing Pinewood (population, 12) then move on to getting rid of the Stonewall Bandits on the Archer's Pass... all in the first two hours.

OR... start with a five hour tutorial in which you are awoken late for class and have to run around town talking to various people and gathering certain trinkets before you're finally let off your leash to get to the fun fucking part of the game.

Cecilff2

Postby Cecilff2 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:58 pm UTC

Terranigma is a good one. Sort of like zelda with stats. Or Illusion of Gaia if you've played it.(It's kind of assumed to be the sequel, though it isn't connected)

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:02 pm UTC

GUH! Illusion of Gaia! That game was fucking amazing...

I also suggest EVO in the vein of action games with definitive progress.

Menacing Spike

Postby Menacing Spike » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:21 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:GUH! Illusion of Gaia! That game was fucking amazing...

I also suggest EVO in the vein of action games with definitive progress.

The first area is amazing.

The rest of the game feels like it was haphazardly thrown within two coffee-fueled hours.

Well, according to a youtube comment:
"The only time you'll see a bunny rabbit kick a mammoth to death and then devour its flesh."

Return to “Gaming”