X-Com: UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Shivahn

Re: X-Com: UFO Defense / UFO: Enemy Unknown

Postby Shivahn » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

My computer can't handle the game. So I preordered on PS3. I really hope you're wrong, ST.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:54 am UTC

The point was to have basically the movie Aliens, but as a video game. Different story, obviously, but anyone could die, your favorite soldiers WILL die, the civilians you went in to save have all turned into Crysalids, lights fail at the worst times, the shadows that were safe one turn are infested the next, your corporate backers have a tendency to betray you, etc. Capture the aliens, reverse engineer their technology, give them payback and some payfoward as well. The intro mission definitely got the 'anyone can die' part down, and it looks like the game will include much of the rest.

The trick now is not to see if the developers 'hit or missed the point', but to see if they actually made it fun while doing so.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 pm UTC

RockPaperShotgun has a pretty lengthy review:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/10/08/xcom-review/

I might have to stay up late tonight and play a few hours before bed.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

Shivahn wrote:My computer can't handle the game. So I preordered on PS3. I really hope you're wrong, ST.

As am I.

THINGS FROM THE DEMO THAT ANNOYED ME AT THE TIME BUT NOW IN RETROSPECT I SEE IT ACTUALLY DOESN'T MATTER - the Two Action Nonsense (what is this, D&D!?) - Basically, I was annoyed that your actions were move and attack, double move or just attack. Until I remember that... that's pretty much what I didn in XCom. Oh, sure, I had neat little buttons and watched an action meter go down, but essentially.. that's what I was always doing anyway - saving action for a snap shot, moving around and, if in the open due to a miscalculation on my part, getting rid of the snap shot and dashing to cover. The Overwatch action, while now a separate thing, basically also does what I did anyway - move a bit, save enough for a snap shot, end turn. So if I spotted enemy, I'd take a shot. Same deal, just a different combination of buttons.

THINGS I FEARED FROM THE DEMO THAT THE RPS REVIEW SPELLED OUT - I cannot LASERSQUAD a building to rubble to remove the alien's cover. Damnit. I cannot make Tommy the Grenade Chucker, who had no weapons other than various sorts of explosives and acted in support of my firing squads.

THINGS I AM ASSUMING FROM THE RPS REVIEW AND DEMO - I cannot loot my own fallen troops.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:36 am UTC

You cannot loot your fallen troops whether it's equipment or weapons. This is a thing. It sort of makes sense for certain abilities (like the ability to carry 2 grenades instead of one) but otherwise it's kind of silly.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:51 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:THINGS I FEARED FROM THE DEMO THAT THE RPS REVIEW SPELLED OUT - I cannot LASERSQUAD a building to rubble to remove the alien's cover. Damnit. I cannot make Tommy the Grenade Chucker, who had no weapons other than various sorts of explosives and acted in support of my firing squads.

Ok, that would be a great class, "Explosives", for turning any map into a heap of rubble. Extra 'nades, armed with a SMG, secondary is some C4. Upgrades will give more 'nades, the ability to carry 3 C4's instead of 1 (like the Support's medi-kits), bonus in bomb diffusal missions (maybe?), flash-bangs and stun grenades. Maybe we will see it as a DLC?

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:21 am UTC

Anybody know how some people apparently have a lot of achievements from XCOM: Enemy Unknown when the game isn't even out yet? And you can't say "Time Zones" because I don't think a couple hours difference is enough for somebody to get "Win the game from each of the 5 starting locations".

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:26 am UTC

The game has actually been out for a few days now. You could pre-order and, yes, pre-install. Once it becomes 'released' tomorrow, it unlocks and you play without additional downloading. Now, if you have the game, and have an editor, and know which flag to flip (I'm assuming it's just a flag), you could be able to play the game prior to its "release". Theoretically.

That or just use cheatcodes/hack the game to instantly win everything.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:The game has actually been out for a few days now. You could pre-order and, yes, pre-install. Once it becomes 'released' tomorrow, it unlocks and you play without additional downloading. Now, if you have the game, and have an editor, and know which flag to flip (I'm assuming it's just a flag), you could be able to play the game prior to its "release". Theoretically.

That or just use cheatcodes/hack the game to instantly win everything.

I'm pretty sure it's actually entirely encrypted and you get a key at release. I could be wrong, but I very much think that that is the case.

Edit: this is indeed the case, looking here.

Derek

Postby Derek » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:12 am UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:Anybody know how some people apparently have a lot of achievements from XCOM: Enemy Unknown when the game isn't even out yet? And you can't say "Time Zones" because I don't think a couple hours difference is enough for somebody to get "Win the game from each of the 5 starting locations".

Pre-release copies. Hundreds of critics will get these, and sometimes other notable name in the gaming world (such as Total Biscuit and the like), if the developers think they will help publicize the game.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:20 am UTC

It was released today; no on bought it, or does the lack of comments mean most people are too busy playing it?

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 am UTC

I was busy playing it for a lot of today. And when I say 'playing' I really mean 'failing at'. I thought I'd try to be a badass and put it on Classic difficulty without having played an XCOM before, but I can't seem to get past month 2 without a feeling of hopelessness setting in. Three missions in a row resulting in TPK is usually where I draw the line and decide to restart with a different plan.

I'm trying to rush out an armor upgrade so everybody doesn't get one-shot by Thin Men anymore, but I can't seem to win that race. I'm also at a loss of what to do when aliens just decide to hold position and Overwatch far from the throwing distance of a grenade. :I And line of sight is mind boggling, I have seen aliens take shots (and hit) that should be physically impossible.

I think I'll give it one more go and if I can't last any longer I'll put it to Normal mode.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:28 am UTC

...sounds like they got the difficulty right. Buying now...

EDIT: Estimated download time, 2 days. FFFUUUUUUUUU...

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:It was released today; no on bought it, or does the lack of comments mean most people are too busy playing it?
I've been too busy playing it.

I've been playing it on normal mode, because I'd like to ramp up slowly. I actually gave up on a game about midway through- it's not clear to me that I was going to lose, but I had just gotten the psionic lab, and testing your units takes 10 days. So I crammed my best three units in the lab, then had a terror event, and then swiftly regretted my decision. Very quickly I had half-equipped new recruits going up against the upgraded versions of the aliens, and things were not going well.

The first game, I also emphasized science a lot, which meant I was rushing through the tech tree, but fairly underequipped because I couldn't afford all of the things that I could make. The second game, I started out in Asia (the OTS upgrades are really nice, and getting them sooner seems like a big boost). For evacs I've been focusing on engineers- and as a result, I can make things super cheaply. Combined with a conveniently placed steam vent, and I have 8 satellites up and an income of ~1k about 2-3 months in. I'm researching things very slowly- but it seems to me like the enemy upgrades might track your research as well as the time it takes you.

Apparently you can't sell manufactured goods anymore (except for the various requests nations will sometimes give you), which is a small price to pay for things building immediately.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 am UTC

What, you can't hog the patent rights to laser cannons and arm the entire world with enough of those death rays to bring about the apocalypse (that's already happening due to aliens)? Meh, it was a cheese tactic anyway. Currently 40% downloaded, will be done in 3 hours. Tomorrow...

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:32 am UTC

I don't know if it's difficulty or my own terrible luck. Three soldiers at 45% hit rate all miss, and then the bastard dances out (Thin Men always look like they are dancing) and pops my assault soldier (behind cover, and I gave her the defense bonus skill in the tree) in one hit.

BoomFrog

Postby BoomFrog » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 am UTC

Vaniver wrote:but it seems to me like the enemy upgrades might track your research as well as the time it takes you.
That would make me very sad if true.
"Everything I need to know about parenting I learned from cooking. Don't be afraid to experiment, and eat your mistakes." - Cronos

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:41 pm UTC

Apparently I can only choose NA or Europe for my base. Is something wrong? Are the others only available after you beat the game? Or is it for the people who pre-ordered only?

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

I think it has to do with the difficulty level. All locations were available to me on Classic and Impossible, and I think only two were available on Easy. I haven't checked Normal. Unless it has to do with the tutorial, because I only started up Easy to see the tutorial so disabling it could be the trigger as well?

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:46 pm UTC

Started on normal. Currently in the tutorial, finished the 3rd mission in the tutorial and now the game is apparently bugged and stuck. Oh well, good thing I saved after the mission.

I may try classic later. Apparently some missions (VIP rescue, probably many more) have infinite aliens until you complete your goals. But they come in 1 at a time (on normal, probably get squads of 'em on impossible). But they spawn in the open. So... hold off on completing the mission and make sure every soldier gets some target practice? I think you can reload an inf amount of times, just takes an action or so to do so.

clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!

Postby clockworkmonk » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

If you skip the tutorial you can have your base anywhere. it has to do with how the demo was made.
418 I'm a teapot

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm UTC

I just lost a Corporal Assault and Support because a sectoid decided he wanted to be Alien Rambo, run through a closed doorway they were both set to overwatch to guard (dodged one, took 2 damage from the other; they both had assault rifles), and then critical hit one for 6 damage (lethal, from full health). Another sectoid finished off the other after their Overwatch shots were spent.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

BoomFrog wrote:That would make me very sad if true.
Another hypothesis I realized this morning is that how many countries have withdrawn could be another factor- in my current game, no one has panicked and the aliens are easily manageable, but in my other game three or four countries had withdrawn from XCOM and missions were murderously difficult.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Anybody have any ideas on what causes Panic ratings to rise? Obviously not accepting an Abduction mission makes it rise, but that can't be the only factor. I've gotten a TPK on a UFO Crash Site mission that didn't appear to cause any Panic, so I have to wonder if a downed UFO would be fine if it was ignored. I don't want to throw my current playthrough under the bus to test it out though, I managed to survive past the first Terror mission (With only a single casualty, thank you epic Chrysalid movement speed)

Anybody else have a lot of practice with Snipers? I can't make up my mind on them. They've had moments of awesomeness and fail, but nothing in-between. I think getting them a good pistol early can help them stay mobile with all of the benefits of Overwatch, but I still haven't gotten that far up the tech tree.

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 pm UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:Anybody else have a lot of practice with Snipers? I can't make up my mind on them. They've had moments of awesomeness and fail, but nothing in-between. I think getting them a good pistol early can help them stay mobile with all of the benefits of Overwatch, but I still haven't gotten that far up the tech tree.

Squadsight makes them godlike bringers of death on wide-open maps IME, but on more constrained maps/with bad sightlines/if you need to be moving around a lot you're gonna have a bad time. I'm debating going for the pistol perk at Sergeant rather than Damn Good Ground, as that should beef up their pistol to about the level of a rifle of the same tier.
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Jack21222

Postby Jack21222 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

So I decided to start off with Classic Ironman mode. I lasted 4 months, but the game was really over some time in my 3rd month. My next 4 attempts only lasted 3 months. This is masochistic, but I refuse to lower the difficulty or resort to save scumming.
broken_escalator wrote:The Mako is powered by the rage of the physics it denies.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:12 am UTC

Back from playing a bit. I'm at the halfway point (I think), don't want to give away too many spoilers just yet. Anyway, Snipers tend to either be my best or worst characters. I made a mistake with mine; you MUST get either the perk that lets you use the sniper rifle after moving, or the perk that gives you extra pistol damage. But the perk for snapshot comes at the cost of the perk for squadsight, which is a must have for any true sniper. The pistol perk lets him work as an assault, and with a bit of investment at the foundry you can upgrade your pistols a few times. Once he's a Colonel, though, he's a deathbringer. One of the perks lets killshots not count for the turn, and by Colonel the sniper already has scary accuracy, so if you flush out a group of floaters your sniper can just eat them. Pity it's at the point where he doesn't need any more xp anyway though...

Anyway.

You can get all the starting bonuses with the satellites. You need to launch a satellite in every country on the continent to get the continent bonus. It's a real treat to get Africa, and boom, easy funding. Even so, money will almost always be tight, as will resources that are scavenged from combat. You have to weigh whether you need those weapon fragments for researching a new sniper rifle, or for researching a plasma cannon for your interceptors.

Terror missions are starting to become painful. Floaters, sectoids, and thin men are free xp, but I just finished a map with 12 chrysalids. Yes, 12, not counting the civilians that got zombified. I don't have the heavy weapons to instakill them, unless I get a crit, and they all come in groups of 3. About to get psionic labs, so hopefully I will be able to mindrape everything except maybe the robots. Haven't met a sectopod or ethereal yet (not sure if they are in the game at all). I'm assuming the thin men are snakemen, due to some hints in the game.

Also, when you research laser sniper rifles, you get a nice little easter egg for all those who play X-Com UFO defense.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

Scuttlemutt wrote:Anybody have any ideas on what causes Panic ratings to rise? Obviously not accepting an Abduction mission makes it rise, but that can't be the only factor. I've gotten a TPK on a UFO Crash Site mission that didn't appear to cause any Panic, so I have to wonder if a downed UFO would be fine if it was ignored. I don't want to throw my current playthrough under the bus to test it out though, I managed to survive past the first Terror mission (With only a single casualty, thank you epic Chrysalid movement speed)

Anybody else have a lot of practice with Snipers? I can't make up my mind on them. They've had moments of awesomeness and fail, but nothing in-between. I think getting them a good pistol early can help them stay mobile with all of the benefits of Overwatch, but I still haven't gotten that far up the tech tree.

I'm assuming that if you have no satellite in the area, then ufo's are landing and doing crap which raises panic level. So if you put a sat there, you'll see the ufo's which you can then intercept and shoot down.

Anyway, I'm having too much fun playing this game to otherwise spend time commenting about this game. Which means this is a damn good game.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Well, I've been playing on normal, saving often but I have yet to reload a game. Aside from the tutorial mission, I haven't had any deaths. At least until I decided "hey, this landed UFO would be a great place for my rookies to get a rank or two". So I went in with 2 colonels and 4 rookies/squaddies. Only, I was introduced to the Berserker. I managed to stun the Berserker and another mook, but by then one of my colonels was a shot away from death, and a squaddie and a rookie bought the farm. I managed to take out about 5 more mutons that were hiding, but I was down to 4 guys, only 1 of which was at full health. Then came the the assault on the bridge. And what was hiding on the bridge? Three Sectoid Commanders. I got lucky and managed to kill two of them before their turn started (my wounded colonel was assault, so a good double pump from my laser-shotgun took out one, and the other got some hits from my other guys). Their turn? The last Sectoid Commander decided to mind control my other colonel, the one with full health. It then became a mad rush to kill that X-ray before the next turn started. My assault could only get 1 shot in and then was out of ammo, one squaddie managed to get a hit it, then the rookie got the kill. Pity I couldn't capture it, but my stun gun was all used up from the Berserker incident. Still, 2 grunts for a stunned berserker, I'd call it a success.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:46 am UTC

...and alien menace destroyed. Some minor spoilers ahead. YOU WERE WARNED.

Spoiler:
Psionic soldiers are awesome, but I could only get 2 by the time I finished the game. A Psionic assault and a Psionic support. There are 3 tiers of psionics. Even just the first Psionic power is pretty nice, as it instantly kills any weak enemy (especially useful if you can see it but only have like, 35% chance of hitting), the second tier has panic and reinforce will or something; reinforce is nice because it undoes mind control (I think). And of course, the third tier is mind control. Or a psychic shield, but like you would choose that over mind control.

Mind control is great for everything except Ethereals, Sectoid Commanders, and of course robots. This is really the only reason to have heavies; give them the 'heat' perk so they can be of use. Sure, their suppress and holo-targeting is nice and all, but I find assault and supports to be so much more useful. But when robots show up, you need all the firepower you can get. The Sectopod has 25 hitpoints, seems to have the power to call in airstrikes, and can fire more than once per turn, doing 10+ damage a hit. I don't know if laser weapons do bonus damage on them like in the original, but I'd like to test that out.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:48 pm UTC

So, terror missions. After losing some people I shouldn't have lost to saving civilians, I've decided to take them slower, focus on killing the aliens, and if I get out with half of the civilians alive, that's still good.

What I'm curious about, though, is how off-screen aliens act. They're clearly not taking their full actions every turn- if they were, given how small the maps are, they'd be able to murder all but the handful you could reach in the first turn. Has anyone done significant testing to see how they operate? It might be that terror missions are best attempted with a bunch of snipers on overwatch, so you can murder everyone as soon as you see them, rather than giving them time to attack civilians. But if you move forward that slowly and the aliens further in are just on a turn delay, rather than waiting for you to approach, they'll get extra killing time.

(Also, got my first nation withdrawal in the second game that I'm running. It was only Argentina, and I got a nice soldier instead, but it's not clear if that was the right call. Is there an achievement for finishing the game with no withdrawals? Must investigate.)

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

I finished the game without a withdrawal (on normal), but I honestly can't remember if there is an achievement for that. Trying out a second game, again on normal, but having fun with it. Well, started on classic, but I actually lost all my guys on the first mission due to some bad luck, then took down the difficulty to normal. I want to try to get a full squad of psychic death-wielders, just for the hell of it.

Psychics are based on willpower, so the best chance of getting a psychic seems to be your promoted troops; more so if they were promoted after you got the Iron Will upgrade from the officer training school.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:52 pm UTC

Not sure if beating the game without a withdrawal is possible on Classic, just because of abductions having 3 choices. Clearing an abduction mission can reduce panic in a country, but it seems like the missions you have to miss increase panic on entire continents. There is so much more panic generation compared to panic reduction, although I have noticed installing Satellites can reduce panic as well (I used this to stop my game from ending a couple months early; Still failed in the end, though)

I think the key would be blitzing on aircraft tech to put down UFOs fast. I am trying to think of a way to do the first couple months putting up as many satellites as possible, but I can't seem to figure out a way to get more than one satellite launched during Month 1. It would mean getting 10 Engineers by the 16th, as well as completely neglecting alien containment and capture research until later. (On my most recent one, I actually missed the sectoid species to capture because they stopped appearing by the time I started to focus on capture)

Edit: Anybody up for goofing off in multiplayer? I noticed aliens are on the unit selection list, I wouldn't mind playing a game using them to figure out what exactly some of their abilities to (The Muton's "Blood Call" for example)

DaBigCheez

Postby DaBigCheez » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:58 pm UTC

I haven't done extensive testing, but at present, it seems to me like (at least in abduction missions, not terror) the aliens "spawn" over the course of the first few turns, and may not even take actions until you see them (when they get the free-move to cover); I'm pretty sure there's been at least some background killing of civilians I can't see by aliens I can't see, though, so I don't think that can be entirely right...
existential_elevator wrote:It's like a jigsaw puzzle of Hitler pissing on Mother Theresa. No individual piece is offensive, but together...

If you think hot women have it easy because everyone wants to have sex at them, you're both wrong and also the reason you're wrong.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:31 am UTC

I've had fresh enemies advance out of fog of war before, so I think they are active even if they haven't been revealed. However, a majority of the time they don't seem to actively agress the player until soldiers have come within firing range. (Even revealing them with the Sniper's scanner doesn't seem to aggro them).

Although, it was a UFO Landing mission where this happened to me recently. I can't remember details of other occasions though.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:35 am UTC

Heh, I discovered an interesting cheese tactic. On Classic, I seem to need every bit of cheese I can find.

Spoiler:
The support's dash ability lets them run up to a group of enemies, then run the hell back. Back being where you have 5 buddies camping out. Unless the aliens are on overwatch, or are a doomchicken (you will know when you see them). You can use an assault with the lightening reflexes instead, to avoid the hit, then run back. Most enemies will charge and hunt you down after spotting you. Berserkers and Chrysalids won't even bother with cover, floaters/heavy floaters may just teleport behind you, but that's ok because they are usually in the open and die in a hit or two.

Many maps can't really use that tactic, but the supply barge, alien base, and mothership maps allow for that.

So far I currently have 3 mindraping demons. I have had no luck testing my grunts, but I don't know if that's from bad luck or the higher willpower from leveling up gives the gift of mindrape. Even so, with only half of my squad being psychic monsters, it's just scary. Anything that isn't a robot or chrysalid is either popped or mind-controlled as soon as I spot them. Well, about half, anyway. Elite mutons are now my bestest friends ever.

Scuttlemutt

Postby Scuttlemutt » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 am UTC

I've developed a sound tactic for terror missions. Everybody gets a Skeleton Suit and we all jump on top of the nearest truck.

Edit: You know what? Minutes after I posted this, I saw a Chrysalid jump a two story building. I think they were just luring me into a false sense of security by letting me have the truck.

Edit2: Also, killing all the aliens resulted in somebody withdrawing from the XCOM project. What? Is it based on civilian count?

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 am UTC

My first terror mission was underwhelming. I saw the video and was like "SHIT CHRYSSALIDS" and then I got to Shanghai and was like "SHIT CHRYSSALIDS" and then three turns later there were seven or eight enemies and four civilians dead and that's it.

I mean I got lucky with the layout and all but my experiences with the original game left me unprepared for that. Also my paranoia probably helped.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:47 am UTC

So... squaddies can have psychic powers. I currently have 9 psychic death machines, though I have been save-scumming to keep them alive, as I'm on classic and seriously, even in titan armor and armed with plasma weapons, I can still lose a guy or two. I wouldn't save-scum, except psychics are too rare. I get maybe 1 psychic/month; it'd be easier if we could build multiple psi-labs for mass-testing. No pyschic snipers so far, despite having rolled up quite a few sniper.

Mind control, while awesome in that it takes an elite muton out of combat for the round, and makes a great meatshield the next few rounds, has a serious drawback; the turn you lose control, the enemy can shoot at you. That either needs to be fixed, or at least let us shoot at MC'd enemies. Sure, they can toss a grenade at themselves, but only once and chances are it won't kill them. It's not too much of a problem with Berserkers, as they can only melee and never bother with cover, so it's a free kill.

Shivahn

Postby Shivahn » Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 am UTC

Damn it Dr. Vahlen, don't complain about how I need to capture an alien if it dies because someone panics and kills it. Not my fault >.>

Return to “Gaming”