Bloodline Champions

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Bloodline Champions

Postby Babam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:22 pm UTC

Bloodline Champions is a MOBA (Multiplayer Online Battle Arena) game I've been playing for a while, and I thought I'd share it with you guys. BLC is a entirely skill based game, with no crits, passive dodges or auto targeting. Every ability goes where you aim it. There is no gear, leveling or farming. Only your pre-defined bloodline with 6 abilities, and one ultimate ability. In the end it is your skill with that blood line that determines whether you are victorious or defeated. This game blows League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth/Defense of the Ancients out of the water :D

Propaganda
This is Bloodline Champions
Last edited by Babam on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:23 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Spoiler:
crucialityfactor wrote:I KNEW he could club bitches!

SecondTalon wrote:Reality - More fucked up than Photoshop.

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Re: Bloodline Champions

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:14 pm UTC

Oh man, I totally KNF'd in the last 3v3 JIU PuG w/ 2 RUTOs and a GJE, against 3x QEWs. I was dismayed at the VUIEing that kept happening, but you know, noobs.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Really now? I fixed all the acronyms but they didn't seem out of place or ill-defined except MOBA.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:24 pm UTC

Yea totally.....

Uhm anyway. I play a bit of BLC every now and then but I find it a bit hard to get into. The lack of grinding or RNG does make it a cool game and excellent for the competitive scene, but it means there's not too depth to it unless you already know the ins and outs and can truly appreciate a fun match. Which I don't so I'm still reserving my judgement. But it definitely has potential to be one of my go to games.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:29 pm UTC

Actually, this looks really cool. I was just messing around. I'll probably check it out.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:54 pm UTC

If any one wants help learning the game, just add me in game and I'll play some learning matches with you. Fora name is same as ingame name.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:05 pm UTC

Are there different mechanics behind the classes? like, within the healer role, are there some that just fire healing spells, some that channel group buffs, some that have to alternate between healing/damaging spells, etc...?
I'm wondering if there's good class diversity.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:14 pm UTC

The healer bloodlines are pretty diverse, Astronomer can shine as a melee bloodline and as a healer, while psychopomp has a more harassment based arsenal. Herald of Insight has a AoE buff and the Chronoflux, which is a bubble that reflects ranged attacks. Alchemist has her clarity potion for dispels, along with a sleep potion and a healing reduction ability she can apply to enemies. She's also unique in that she is the only blood line that doesn't have a travel/escape ability on space but rather a barrier that can absorb a lot of damage. It's great for when some one is about to eat a Shadowbolt or an Execute. After playing pretty much every single bloodline, I can attest to the fact that they are all very diverse and feel very different to play. You can't hop from one Bloodline to the next without having to go through the learning process again. Thorn is a tank, but he's completely different from Glutton, Vanguard, or Inhibitor. Every bloodline is different in very clear ways.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:28 pm UTC

Awesome. Thanks B. I'll be checking this game out as soon as the holidays are over.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:32 pm UTC

No problem, the more players the better ESPECIALLY US players. US MM is pretty much dead because no one ever queues unless some one organizes a queue night. People see 0 in US queue and just go to Euro :\
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:45 pm UTC

Might take you up on that offer Bambam but afraid it won't be for a while. Way too much stuff I need to get done lately D:

CogDissident

Postby CogDissident » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 pm UTC

Played it, and I have to say that it is a very solid, wading-pool-shallow game.

It seems to take the idea of PvP areanas in other games, and try to make a game out of it, but without really understanding player accomplishment or the usually arms-race-escalation that goes on in most PvP arena games. Your hero is exactly as powerful at the start of the arena as he will always be. There is no increase to abilities as you play, no unlocks, no upgrades, no items, nothing whatsoever except the base character. This is good from a balance perspective (assuming the champions were balanced, which they are not, yet, but its got plenty of time to balance that at least), but means the gameplay quickly gets boring and repetitive.

So, if you feel that league of legends is too intelligent for you, or that Demigod was too focused on interesting gameplay, or that characters in diablo2 playing PvP had too many abilities, then maybe this is a good game for you. I'd have to say though, it feels like "Baby's first PvP game"

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

I'd say by this point the champions are very balanced, when you're new to the game and don't know each champions rotations or abilities well; one or two might seem over powered. With a lot of new players coming to the game there has been a lot of complaints about gunner. When a gunner uses her stealth it's almost always to charge up an execute and people don't know to predict the timing and use a trance/immune or shield ability or to just go hide behind a pillar. They then go claiming gunner is OP and that stealth should be removed. In reality, if gunner didn't have stealth she wouldn't be able to land executes at all, and would only have one defensive (her spacebar) when every bloodline has at least two (Usually spacebar and r). Gunner is very easy to kill once your learn to predict executes and learn how to dodge her shots. There is character development in the form of the grade system, and the matchmaking ladder. And recently they've added new avatars, bloodline skins and weapon skins for pre-ordering; they have also announced that they will be available for completing certain achievements or winning tournaments. There also can be a great amount of depth in the game as well. Take for example Harbringer. He has multiple play styles and each one is very different, and there is no change other than the player playing him. You can play him as a tank, using his basic melee attack to harass like any other tank would, and blood gripping allies and foes to save his team mates from damage, along with using his Nethershift ability to keep his team mates in the thick of battle. He can be played as a ranged DPS, using his shadow bolt ability to snipe people for large amounts of damage. He can also be played as a melee DPS, and even than there are so many variations on the rotations and how his abilities are used that I couldn't list them all. While each bloodline might not have 40 abilities, some of them you'll never use unless you come up against that ONE bloodline or have gear and a character progression system; it has balance and multiple levels of depth.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:43 pm UTC

So, I got it, it's pretty entertaining. Anyone wanna play? I'm lookin' at you Babam.
It's definitely quick and shallow pvp. But that's cool.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:44 am UTC

Sure, feel free to hit me up anytime on aim (babamthegruntaim) or if I'm in game.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

So, it's been a while since we've last seen each other.

The game has launched, added tons of new features and content released 5 new bloodlines since I last posted and has received awesome reviews.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/bloodline-champions/

Highlights
New MM system
Emotes (sleepygamer would LOVE Herald's celebrate ;)
5 new bloodlines (Reaver,Seeker, Stalker, Guardian and Blood Priest)
Tournament System (Weekly and monthly tournaments that are automated and give out special prizes and a tournament only currency for exclusive avatars and titles)
New maps, a conquest mode overhaul.

Figured I'd give the thread and bump and see if I could draw crowd
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Iponly

Postby Iponly » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 am UTC

Heh, well I registered on this forum to read some Serious Business threads, but I can't turn down a bloodline champions thread! I'm over 1000 games played, having registered a couple weeks after it came out, and um... I'm still really bad. G13, on my way to the level 150 achievement. But it's so fun, I just keep going and going and going... and then watching the tournaments and VODS... and then just randomly observing custom games... Observer mode is really awesome, I'm glad they've implemented it in the tournament system. I'll be even more glad when they open up the tournament system so other leagues can use it, and then I can observe in those games too- and then I can follow cam all the great players!

I'd post some screenshots of me messing around with observer mode (seeing games at different angles is trippy and awesome) but I can't because this is my first post. I can't post a link to the blgaming videos either, but they're really entertaining too once you've poked around with the bloodlines enough to understand the basic abilities. This game is everything I liked about twinking in warcraft, (no grind, no 'real' consequences to loss, lots of quick games) but without the boring bits, the limited abilities, or the terrible attitudes. Oh, and it's much easier to make a character since there's no gear or anything. The community is pretty damn good compared to what I expect from a pvp game too. (My expectations are low, admittedly.) Currently trying to hit more 15+ heals and moon bursts with Astronomer, more everything with Harbinger, and anything at all with Inhibitor. I should pick up a ranged dps too at some point, but I'm hoping the next new bloodline is some cool mage type and I can just grab that.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:15 pm UTC

I'm having a blast with this game. My WoW subscription is still down; BLC is simply more entertaining. I can hop on, have some quick and intense pvp, and hop out.

I'm trying to get better with the Psychopomp, but am best healing as the Blood Priest. I feel like the pomp has better opportunity for high damage and arena position control.

I'm definitely best with the Thorn, but prefer the Inhibitor.

If you play, add me!

EDIT: I do want to say though that the bad attitude of internet gamers is still alive and strong in BLC. You can just ignore them and be done with it in a couple minutes.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Wed May 11, 2011 8:01 pm UTC

Heyo! New patch!
They finally added a friend recruitment system

http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/regis ... 1498348766

^^ shameless plug

Until the 25th of May all the bloodlines are playable for free and you gain double bloodcoins when you play, so by the time may is over with you'll have plenty to buy the bloodlines you like. On May 25th the long awaited replay patch is coming as well :D
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

kalakuja

Postby kalakuja » Sat May 14, 2011 6:21 pm UTC

This game rocks. I can just hop in with friends and game in turnees. It's just pure skill based action in every second of the match. The thing about hon,lol and dota that i hate is the waiting and running around; now i can just do the battles all the time.

Dthen
Still hasn't told us what comes after D

Postby Dthen » Mon May 16, 2011 8:25 pm UTC

Just started playing a couple of weeks ago. just bought the game today. It's great. Such good gameplay, so well balanced, excellent e-sport potential.
Dthen wrote:I AM NOT A CAT.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu May 19, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

http://www.bloodlinechampions.com/forum ... =3&t=14652

May Dev update filled with such delicious goodies.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 19, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

Holy shit! That new healer looks awesome.
I love the totem and voodoo; those both sound so harsh.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Thu May 19, 2011 7:02 pm UTC

I'm planning on running Double Harb/ Grimrog in the next season. Healing Ward + Hemo M1 heals means the grimrog doesn't have to heal and can just be a DPS along with the Harbingers.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu May 26, 2011 3:05 pm UTC

I haven't seen anyone effectively play a Grimrog yet, but it's obviously pretty early.

Lastnight I was playing Psycho, which I like but aren't very good at, and ended up soloing against a harb/BP/Igniter. They weren't very good, but man, I was fucking rocking face.
I'm starting to switch over to the astronomer, which I like a bit more than the Psycho. Not a fan of the melee attack, but it's nice having an instantaneous ability on a healer, and having something to do at melee if someone gets in your face. I love seeing the surprise in mdps when they pull you in and you start pummeling on them a bit.

Just looked over Grimrog; can't fucking wait, the heal ability has incredible offensive potential.

Sokh

Postby Sokh » Fri May 27, 2011 12:11 pm UTC

I played BLC ages ago when it was in beta, but decided not to purchase it since no one I knew was going to. Just watched that grimrog video though the other day and at the end it says free to play?

Whats the deal with that? Free but very limited heroes/champions/whatever they're called? :P

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

I think if you do the free option, you don't get a bunch of bloodlines, but I'm not sure which. You can unlock them with pts earned in game, but they aren't cheap. I'm not a hardcore player, I'm sitting on approximately 25k pts, and I think one of the packages to unlock four bloodlines is like 16k or so.

I could be wrong about that; I paid for it. The games fucking awesome.

Babam
the Nearly Deleted

Postby Babam » Sun May 29, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

Free players get a rotation of 4 bloodlines that change weekly and get purchase them with Funcom points or the in game currency bloodcoins
Champion gets the original 16 + 10 dollars of Funcom points
Titan gets everything, shop discounts, and all future bloodlines free.

I bought Champion back when they had the bloodlust upgrade and all the pre-order benefits so I've just been dropping the 10 bucks for the preview packs as soon as the new BLs come out. Thinking of spending the 40 to upgrade to Titan and just be done with it though.
Spoiler:

s/notwittysig/wittysig

Return to “Gaming”