The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Bacon Workshop

Of the Tabletop, and other, lesser varieties.

Moderators: SecondTalon, Moderators General, Prelates

Chewbaccawacca
Location: The Great Green Pacific Northwest! ....of the United States! .....of America!

Re: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim : Dual Wield Bacon

Postby Chewbaccawacca » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:36 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote: A bunch of stuff.

Yeah there were a lot of good elements from Morrowind that were left out in Oblivion and Skyrim. Kind of a bummer but at least the games were still pretty great. I can only hope that come The Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr arrives they'll have reintroduced them.
Not all who wander ar...blah blah blah, basically I want to be cool like Aragorn.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:15 am UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Spoiler:
I feel like if it were Morrowind-style, with huge flaws but MASSIVE pay-offs, it would have worked great - not to mention made the Ring of Hircine useful again. But because of the story - which admittedly, I really liked - it wouldn't have fitted.

Oh well.

Spoiler:
Being a werewolf was horrible in Morrowind. Unless your character was inept at combat they usually ended up being much weaker as a werewolf, and it was hugely inconvenient. The only good thing about it was being able to run and jump really well.

Mumpy

Postby Mumpy » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:06 am UTC

Re: all this Jazz
Spoiler:
It is super useful against giants as well, Sprint power attack is a diving leap that let's you knock pretty much any enemy over (I haven't found one that didn't go down) and with giants being such huge targets it's kinda hard to miss.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Chewbaccawacca wrote:

Yeah there were a lot of good elements from Morrowind that were left out in Oblivion and Skyrim. Kind of a bummer but at least the games were still pretty great. I can only hope that come The Elder Scrolls VI: Elsweyr arrives they'll have reintroduced them.

I've said for a while that the next game is going to be in Summerset Isle. Between the Thalmor, it being the last 'normal' continent we haven't visited, and the lack of Elven emphasis in the past few games, it makes a lot of sense. I don't mind Argonia/Valenwood being put off for a while, so long as they get them right. They simply can't at the moment, not without some major shakeups to the staples of the series.
EmptySet wrote:
Spoiler:
Being a werewolf was horrible in Morrowind. Unless your character was inept at combat they usually ended up being much weaker as a werewolf, and it was hugely inconvenient. The only good thing about it was being able to run and jump really well.

Spoiler:
I agree with you completely - I actually backtracked from doing the Werewolf quests in the expansion because of how difficult it was - but I meant the style rather than the ability. Having Lycans that come out during the day isn't... that Lycanthropic.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

The.. past few games? Morrowind's emphasis on the Dunmer folk hero and religious beliefs in their land wasn't... Mer-centric?

See, I'm hoping they return to a Morrowind-style "No, you aren't in Generic Fantasy Land #295" by doing Valenwood, Elsweyr or the Black Marsh.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

I don't think they'll do The Summerset Isles. Lore spoilers (both in-game and out-of-game).

Spoiler:
Every game in the main series except Arena has involved a Tower. Skyrim's was only explicitly mentioned in a book (Book of the Dragonborn has the Snow Tower as being "sundered, kingless, bleeding") but we still have DLC to go. Daggerfall destroyed Walk-Brass (I think? It was at least the central focus of the game), Morrowind destroyed the Red Tower, and Oblivion possibly destroyed, or at least heavily involved and altered White-Gold. The towers we haven't seen that are mentioned in the Nu-Mantia Intercept (a forum post by Michael Kirkbride, who wrote a lot of the lore, in character as a Moth Priest) are Crystal-Like-Law (Summerset Isles), Orichalc (Yokuda), and Green-Sap(?). Green-Sap would imply Black Marsh or Valenwood. The thing is, we know that Crystal-Like-Law fell during the Oblivion Crisis, from a book in Skyrim (Rising Threat). There may be other towers in the Isles, but it seems likely to be another region to me. Yokuda is probably unlikely, since it sank (unclear if Orichalc was destroyed as a Tower), so my guess is Green-Sap, which seems likely to be in Black Marsh, because of the Hist and all that. (Though Argonian legend has Hist as seperate from the Ehlnofey, so were they also making towers or what?). Or it could be somewhere else with another tower. I just hope Black Marsh.
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:55 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:
Chewbaccawacca wrote:

I've said for a while that the next game is going to be in Summerset Isle. Between the Thalmor, it being the last 'normal' continent we haven't visited, and the lack of Elven emphasis in the past few games, it makes a lot of sense. I don't mind Argonia/Valenwood being put off for a while, so long as they get them right. They simply can't at the moment, not without some major shakeups to the staples of the series.
EmptySet wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
I agree with you completely - I actually backtracked from doing the Werewolf quests in the expansion because of how difficult it was - but I meant the style rather than the ability. Having Lycans that come out during the day isn't... that Lycanthropic.

My fingers are crossed for a Summerset Isle expansion/DLC, Shivering Isles size/style, for Skyrim. Worst and most likely case is the Fallout/NV model of DLC, which is 9001 times less enjoyable than just waiting for one coherent expansion with a meaty quest and setting. Then The Elder Scrolls VI: Black Marsh, please, and The Elder Scrolls VII: Valenwood when the tech's up to doing it justice.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:10 pm UTC

We're getting mixed messages on the DLC front, half the time they seem to be saying they'll do something as big as SI, half the time they'll be saying that SI wasn't as good as Fallout - but I've never even thought for a second that they'll do a whole province in an Elder Scrolls expansion. It just... doesn't happen. The Summerset Isles will have their own game.

And Talon, the past two have been races of men. Going purely from the most recent 3, because Arena was everywhere and Daggerfall was in two places at once (incidentally, two places which don't house Elves), we've had 1 Mer and 2 Men. We're due another Elf/Beast, and I'm saying elf for reasons stated in my other post.
Last edited by SirBryghtside on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Spambot5546 wrote:Well...who used it? I'd sleep next to Felicia Day's used bacon.

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:16 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:We're getting mixed messages on the DLC front, half the time they seem to be saying they'll do something as big as SI, half the time they'll be saying that SI wasn't as good as Fallout - but I've never even thought for a second that they'll do a whole province in an Elder Scrolls expansion. It just... doesn't happen. The Summerset Isles will have their own game.
I've heard rumors of a Akavir expedition. That would be sweet.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm UTC

So, my character is siding with the Stormcloaks. I haven't joined up yet, but I will.

I walk into the Bannered Mare, talk to the bard, say "Do you know 'The Age of Aggression'?" not knowing what ot was. He says, "Ah, only true Imperials ask for that." I'm thinking, no, nevermind, I didn't want to hear it. But I stick around and listen anyway. It turns out it's kind of a cool-sounding song, but the thing is, if you just switch the words "Imperials" and "Stormcloaks" in the song, it fits perfectly both ways! And that actually made me angry, in real life. Well friggin' done, guys.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote: "Do you know 'The Age of Aggression'?" not knowing what ot was. He says, "Ah, only true Imperials ask for that." I'm thinking, no, nevermind, I didn't want to hear it. But I stick around and listen anyway. It turns out it's kind of a cool-sounding song, but the thing is, if you just switch the words "Imperials" and "Stormcloaks" in the song, it fits perfectly both ways! And that actually made me angry, in real life. Well friggin' done, guys.

It does fit perfectly both ways and the reason is that the other version is "age of oppression" (which you'd have to be a true stormcloak to ask for). My interpretation in game is that both sides decided to take some previously instrumental tune and both strung lyrics to it for propaganda purposes (not particularly unusual) and, propaganda being propaganda, both chose broadly similar words.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

But, but... Why did I get the option for Aggression? I followed Ralof. I openly declared that I'm a friend of the Gray-Manes. I may have been wearing Imperial armor for a while, but only because I got it off Imperials I KILLED.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:But, but... Why did I get the option for Aggression? I followed Ralof. I openly declared that I'm a friend of the Gray-Manes. I may have been wearing Imperial armor for a while, but only because I got it off Imperials I KILLED.

Bards in Imperial towns sing Imperial songs. Bards in Stormcloak towns sing Stormcloak songs. It's as simple as that.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

SirBryghtside

Postby SirBryghtside » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

Guessing you mean Talsgar - I found it strange too, but I guess he's an Imperial so it wouldn't make sense.

At least you know not to choose it again :P

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:But, but... Why did I get the option for Aggression? I followed Ralof. I openly declared that I'm a friend of the Gray-Manes. I may have been wearing Imperial armor for a while, but only because I got it off Imperials I KILLED.

Bards in Imperial towns sing Imperial songs. Bards in Stormcloak towns sing Stormcloak songs. It's as simple as that.

I thought Whiterun was strictly neutral. Being a lowbie quest hub and all. They wouldn't want new characters to have to make that decision so quickly.

eSOANEM
:D

Postby eSOANEM » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:Guessing you mean Talsgar - I found it strange too, but I guess he's an Imperial so it wouldn't make sense.

At least you know not to choose it again :P

Talsgar's a nord. And I think you usually come across him in the wilderness. I think it was probably Mikael.

The Scyphozoa wrote:
SexyTalon wrote:

I thought Whiterun was strictly neutral. Being a lowbie quest hub and all. They wouldn't want new characters to have to make that decision so quickly.

Spoiler:
Strictly speaking, it is neutral. If you push on either of the strands of the civil war quests though, you see that Balgruuf is more an Imperial than a Stormcloak.
my pronouns are they

Magnanimous wrote:(fuck the macrons)

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:08 pm UTC

The Scyphozoa wrote:I thought Whiterun was strictly neutral. Being a lowbie quest hub and all. They wouldn't want new characters to have to make that decision so quickly.

... You realize all the quests are leveled, right? Start a new game, go hang out in Markarth, head back to Whiterun at level 35 and then tell me how much of a "lowbie" quest hub it is.

omgryebread

Postby omgryebread » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

SirBryghtside wrote:We're getting mixed messages on the DLC front, half the time they seem to be saying they'll do something as big as SI, half the time they'll be saying that SI wasn't as good as Fallout - but I've never even thought for a second that they'll do a whole province in an Elder Scrolls expansion. It just... doesn't happen. The Summerset Isles will have their own game.
I agree here. I do expect a new setting, but somewhere much smaller than the main game, and not a province that we've never seen anything of before. Solstheim is a possibility, or something under Skyrim, built by the Dwemer or even someone older. Somewhere in the Lore it mentions Snow-Throat is a tower that is a mountain that is only half-there, so maybe it will be in Aetherius, at the other half of the Throat of the World. Or it could be in a small part of a place we've visited. Maybe in the area around the Imperial City as the Thalmor invade or something like that.

[/quote]And Talon, the past two have been races of men. Going purely from the most recent 3, because Arena was everywhere and Daggerfall was in two places at once (incidentally, two places which don't house Elves), we've had 1 Mer and 2 Men. We're due another Elf/Beast, and I'm saying elf for reasons stated in my other post.[/quote]Eh. Oblivion was fairly neutral, racially. Cyrodiil is the imperial province, but it's the most racially diverse place in Tamriel. I also don't think the Summerset Isles makes sense story-wise. The tower is broken, and barring something big happening, it's the most racially homogenous place on Tamriel. Even in the height of the Empire's power, non-Altmer weren't allowed in the capital of Alinor. They'd have to do another time jump like they did for Skyrim, and I don't see them doing that again so soon. Valenwood would also meet the requirement if they wanted elves. I still think Black Marsh is the most likely. I want to travel by rootworm...
avatar from Nononono by Lynn Okamoto.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:28 pm UTC

omgryebread wrote:or something under Skyrim, built by the Dwemer or even someone older.
So Blackreach, then?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

SurgicalSteel

Postby SurgicalSteel » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

I think when I first talked to him I got the option for both Aggression and Oppression. And a third song which I don't recall the name of.
"There's spray paint on the teleprompter
Anchorman screams that he's seen a monster (mayday)
There's blood stains on his shirt (mayday)
They say that he's gone berserk."
--Flobots "Mayday"

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:06 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:
I think when I first talked to him I got the option for both Aggression and Oppression. And a third song which I don't recall the name of.

Depression?
Ibid: Most prolific author in academia

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

SurgicalSteel wrote:

Probably either Ragnar The Red or the Dragonborn Comes.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
The Scyphozoa wrote:I thought Whiterun was strictly neutral. Being a lowbie quest hub and all. They wouldn't want new characters to have to make that decision so quickly.

... You realize all the quests are leveled, right? Start a new game, go hang out in Markarth, head back to Whiterun at level 35 and then tell me how much of a "lowbie" quest hub it is.

By lowbie I meant that, whether you follow quests at your convenience or just go town to town, picking the nearest one you haven't already hit up, most players are likely to go to Whiterun before any other major city.

And I'm still not sure which mobs and quests are scaled and which aren't.

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:31 am UTC

Dark567 wrote:I've heard rumors of a Akavir expedition. That would be sweet.

I like the sound of that. Tell me more!

frogman

Postby frogman » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:14 am UTC

SecondTalon wrote:

Well, I did Bleak Falls Barrow at level 22 and it was frightfully easy, so... it is a lowbie hub? From what I've seen, at least.
yeah yeah yeah

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:55 am UTC

The leveling system is kinda weird. The level of the mooks that generate at a place depends on what level you were when you first discovered it, except the boss mook that always scales with you. So you discover a Vampire nest and they ravage you, so you flee and train a bit, come back, and then do some good ol' fashioned 30x damage dagger of death. But, there is another factor that adds or subtracts how tough a lair is. So some areas will be weaker than others. In general, the lower areas are 'safer' than the mountains.

Wiskie

Postby Wiskie » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

So, I finally made a new guy because my Argonian mage bored me. This guy is a Breton who bears a much greater resemblance to yours truly. Being human makes for a much more immersive style of play.

And, since I have very limited knowledge with regards to Elder Scrolls lore, it's helped me to think of the game as being set in Scandinavia with all Nords being from Germanic/Scandinavian tribes, Imperials being Roman/Mediterranean, Bretons being Celts, and Redgaurds being berbers/Moors. (Yes, I know the history is a little off...) Everyone else is basically some sort of exotic monstrosity in my [character's] eyes. Fun! As a Celt, I feel as though I have more in common with the Nordic peoples and thus I am a Stormcloak.

What do you guys use to sum up Skyrim to someone who has absolutely no idea what it is?

I've always said that it's as if you took the world (not the story) of Beowulf and made it into a game, with some LOTR thrown in.
"Today we wield both kind of uncleftish doings in weapons, and kernelish splitting gives us heat and bernstoneness. We hope to do likewise with togethermelting, which would yield an unhemmed wellspring of work for mankindish good gain."

Box Boy
WINNING

Postby Box Boy » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

I just tell them it's about a Viking civil war that gets interrupted by dragons.
Signatures are for chumps.

BlackSails

Postby BlackSails » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:43 pm UTC

Yeah, the scaling system is a bit odd. The boss of voluungrad 1-shot my character until I was about 20 levels higher than when I first tried to kill him.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

Wiskie wrote:What do you guys use to sum up Skyrim to someone who has absolutely no idea what it is?

It's an RPG that's trying to appeal to an action-oriented audience yet still hang on to the trappings of it's past. How successful it is at it is debatable.

I mean, I'm enjoying the shit out of it, but it's not Morrowind, both as a negative comparison and a positive one.

An Enraged Platypus

Postby An Enraged Platypus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

SecondTalon wrote:
Wiskie wrote:What do you guys use to sum up Skyrim to someone who has absolutely no idea what it is?

It's an RPG that's trying to appeal to an action-oriented audience yet still hang on to the trappings of it's past. How successful it is at it is debatable.

I mean, I'm enjoying the shit out of it, but it's not Morrowind, both as a negative comparison and a positive one.

What kind of comparison would you draw between Morrowind and Oblivion? I'm curious because Morrowind is the next game I want to play after the post-Steam Holiday Sale backlog.
We consider every day a plus/To spend it with a platypus/We're always so ecstatic/'Cause he's semi-aquatic!

- Phineas & Ferb

Jahoclave
sourmilk's moderator

Postby Jahoclave » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

Ibid wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

Depression?

Regression?

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:56 pm UTC

An Enraged Platypus wrote:What kind of comparison would you draw between Morrowind and Oblivion? I'm curious because Morrowind is the next game I want to play after the post-Steam Holiday Sale backlog.

Morrowind is much more stat-driven; character creation is more complex and more impactful; there's a much wider range of spell and enchantment effects; fast travel is less ubiquitous; guilds are more spread out and climbing the ranks generally requires high enough skills and/or stats along with missions; lore-wise, it's set several centuries earlier so some of the cultures involved are pretty different from how they appear in Skyrim. Those are the big differences that come to mind for me. Generally the game is more methodical and has a steeper learning curve, but once you've got some skills you have a good bit more freedom than Skyrim gives you. Also, lots and lots of mods.

Wiskie wrote:And, since I have very limited knowledge with regards to Elder Scrolls lore, it's helped me to think of the game as being set in Scandinavia with all Nords being from Germanic/Scandinavian tribes, Imperials being Roman/Mediterranean, Bretons being Celts, and Redgaurds being berbers/Moors. (Yes, I know the history is a little off...)

That's pretty close honestly. I mean, there's lots of pure-fantasy fluff around the races but Nord/Germanic, Breton/Celtic, Imperial/Romance and Redguard/Afro-Asiatic is pretty much the vibe they were going for. Later on you may notice the Akaviri men were pretty much Japanese.

EmptySet

Postby EmptySet » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:12 am UTC

IcedT wrote:
An Enraged Platypus wrote:What kind of comparison would you draw between Morrowind and Oblivion? I'm curious because Morrowind is the next game I want to play after the post-Steam Holiday Sale backlog.

Morrowind is much more stat-driven; character creation is more complex and more impactful;

I'd disagree with that. I've found that in Skyrim, two high level characters can be pretty different because of perk selection, whereas in Morrowind all high level characters end up being hyper-competent at everything and therefore pretty much the same. In Skyrim everyone starts out the similar and then diverges as you gain levels; in Morrowind, characters are (slightly) more different at the start, but become more similar as the game goes on, and eventually every character ends up being the best in the world at everything.

EDIT: Oh, frig. Oblivion and Morrowind. In that case, I still disagree, on the basis that character creation is pretty much identical. I mean, Bretons are ridiculously overpowered in Oblivion because they just copy-pasted the racial abilities across from Morrowind, and forgot that they changed the way magic resistance works. It's exactly the same system. Although there are not skill requirements for guild advancement in Oblivion, I suppose.

EDITEDIT: Although now that I look at IcedT's post, I see that they were, in fact, talking about Skyrim, though AEP was not. Hmm.
Last edited by EmptySet on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:45 am UTC

IcedT wrote:lore-wise, it's set several centuries earlier so some of the cultures involved are pretty different from how they appear in Skyrim.
The.. question was about Oblivion and Morrowind, not Skyrim and Morrowind...

Morrowind takes place a couple of years before Oblivion.

It's closer to the roots of Turn Based gameplay. There's not a lot of feedback between a hit and a miss, unlike Oblivion. You don't block at all, for instance. It's all a function of your block skill and requires a shield be equipped.

There's a larger division in armors, with a Medium Armor skill existing. The problem is that Ebony (heavy) and Glass (light) are about equal, Daedric (heavy) is best provided you have the skill of course. But... the best Medium is a rank or two below the Ebony/Glass tier. That said, I don't think the weight stops applying at any point, so Medium does make sense in that it's generally more protective than Light and generally lighter than Heavy, but... and it may just be me. Perhaps someone else sees a point in it I do not.

The story in it takes bloody forever to get going, which is actually somewhat of a good thing. The whole point of the early game is to force you to go around and take in the strange and unusual land you're in. And it is strange and unusual. Coming from Skyrim would, in some respects, be better as you're a bit more in with the mindset of the Dwemer being weird, so with that in mind you're already a good way on the path of figuring them out and then you're just left with the Ashlanders and the Dunmer Houses and so on. Coming from Generic Fantasy Oblivion will leave you with a culture shock.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:23 am UTC

Just be warned, you won't go 5 minutes without dreading the sound of a Cliffrider. Friggin cliffriders...

Koa

Postby Koa » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:46 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Just be warned, you won't go 5 minutes without dreading the sound of a Cliffrider. Friggin cliffriders...

Pfft. Anyone who actually suffered through the onslaught of the Cliff Racers would know their true name.

Magnanimous
Madmanananimous

Postby Magnanimous » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:47 am UTC

IcedT

Postby IcedT » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:34 am UTC

EmptySet wrote:
IcedT wrote:Morrowind is much more stat-driven; character creation is more complex and more impactful;

I'd disagree with that. I've found that in Skyrim, two high level characters can be pretty different because of perk selection, whereas in Morrowind all high level characters end up being hyper-competent at everything and therefore pretty much the same. In Skyrim everyone starts out the similar and then diverges as you gain levels; in Morrowind, characters are (slightly) more different at the start, but become more similar as the game goes on, and eventually every character ends up being the best in the world at everything.

What I mean is that the choices you make when you create your character have a bigger impact on how that character plays for the rest of the game. In Skyrim, all you really pick is a racial power and a small bonus to certain stats. Characters can be hugely different depending on the perks you pick over time, but at the start the difference between any two characters is negligible compared to all the different builds that are possible in Morrowind.

SecondTalon wrote:The.. question was about Oblivion and Morrowind, not Skyrim and Morrowind...

Sorry, misread. We are in the Skyrim thread here.

Yeah I never played Oblivion. Can't really say much about it.

Ibid

Postby Ibid » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:16 am UTC

Jahoclave wrote:
Ibid wrote:
SurgicalSteel wrote:

Depression?

Regression?

Enough of this...Digression. 8)

Also Magnanimous, that robs Jiub of his sworn duty to rid Morrowind of Cliff Racers!

But yeah, the other thing about Morrowind is that, while it is levelled, it isn't nearly as steeply levelled. At high level you'll be one-shotting random gods with your fists (assuming you worked on your hand-to-hand when you reached max in everything else), wearing nothing but a loincloth and a smile. Also, the graphics suck. But that's an age thing.
Ibid: Most prolific author in academia

Return to “Gaming”